• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

MIMIC

Banned
1. Unless I'm confusing it with another movie, I have never even HEARD of "Dunkirk." But I've been extremely busy over the last few weeks and have had little time for myself, so maybe that's why.

(Edit: Ohhhh....that movie).

2. "Girls Trip?" Wow. That's an incredible opening. AND it has an 89% score at RT? I'm definitely going to have to see that (and if not in theaters, then definitely on DVD). Saw a trailer of it a while back and I was dying.

3. I'm both laughing at and sobbing for "Valerian." Laughing at the OW-to-budget difference. Sobbing because it actually looks like a fun movie to take the kids to (and since I have no kids, I'd just take myself). There's this one trailer that I keep seeing on TV that makes me really want to see it. With a RT score of 54%, it appears to be decently enjoyable.

Speaking of movies nobody will care about when they're released, Pacific Rim: Uprising is gonna have a rough time too.
It is a safe bet since I imagine they have some of the cost offset by China.

I think it is in a good place to clear half billion worldwide. The last movie made $391 million and 100 of that was from China. I expect the sequel to do better there and also improve over domestically.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Last Jedi will most definitely dip from TFA. Small dip though. Force Awakens wasn't just the first SW film in 10 years, it had a full-on marketing blitz based on making people feel like the first time they saw it in '77.

"REMEMBER HAN? REMEMBER CHEWIE? REMEMBER LEIA? REMEMBER THE MILLENNIUM FALCON? REMEMBER WHEN THESE MOVIES WERE GOOD? WELL IT'S GOOD AGAIN, STAR WARS IS BACK BABY!"

In comparison, TLJ's marketing has been pretty muted so far.

Last Jedi will most definitely dip from TFA. Small dip though. Force Awakens wasn't just the first SW film in 10 years, it had a full-on marketing blitz based on making people feel like the first time they saw it in '77.

"REMEMBER HAN? REMEMBER CHEWIE? REMEMBER LEIA? REMEMBER THE MILLENNIUM FALCON? REMEMBER WHEN THESE MOVIES WERE GOOD? WELL IT'S GOOD AGAIN, STAR WARS IS BACK BABY!"

In comparison, TLJ's marketing has been pretty muted so far.
Man, imagine if they start playing up the fact it's the last movie we'll ever see with Carrie in it.

Man, imagine if they start playing up the fact it's the last movie we'll ever see with Carrie in it.

The marketing seems to be hitting this note quite a bit, so far.

I was skeptical before that this angle would get hit that hard, but I think it's going to happen now, the closer we get. This is going to be sold both as the follow up to the most successful domestic release in history, AND as your chance to say goodbye to Carrie Fisher.

No way. I don't think there was ever a huge demand domestically for this film.

It's the international total that will improve.

I think they'll both improve. I think Boyega's involvement will boost interest, I think the film's increased presence of mind and audience courtesy of home video will have a positive effect.

Never question Nolan folks. Dunkirk the movie of the Summer.

Also, my client Girl's Trip conquered Rough Night!
Girl's Trip>Shark Movie>Rough Night LMAO
Now that is a sequel I think will improve on the previous entry's domestic total.
From your lips to the Box Office Gods ears🙏

I think they'll both improve. I think Boyega's involvement will boost interest, I think the film's increased presence of mind and audience courtesy of home video will have a positive effect.

Outside of Star Wars, I don't think Boyega's presence will have much impact on a lot of projects, including this.

Anth0ny

Wait til TLJ's poster is the Luke and Leia version of this:

81hza5bcm1l._ac_ul320afkrw.jpg

:(

$2b confirmed

When have you spoken truth?

I only tell truths

That's both their strength and their weakness as they found out with the Wachowskis. I think WB needs to give them another chance to do a DC film.

Ya they let them skate too long. Cloud Atlas tells me Wachowskis still have the juice but they gotta earn the right to have carte blanche again

It is fun seeing WB just go all in on some weird shit though

I love when WB falls headfirst into massive hits just because they let the directors cook
How many young directors are just begging to get $10 million for a passion project that has 'Get Out' type potential?

Nope, keep giving hundreds of millions to the people who made the Matrix 20 years ago. I'm sure they'll make another hit any day now.

I'm sure it's a tougher job than it seems. But man is it easy to bash big Hollywood studios.

Speed Racer was a family film that was inexplicably PG-13 and too high of a budget

I dunno who the fuck thought Jupiter was a good idea

I think they gotta earn their way out of Film Jail the same way Bird did after Tomorrowland

How many young directors are just begging to get $10 million for a passion project that has 'Get Out' type potential?

Nope, keep giving hundreds of millions to the people who made the Matrix 20 years ago. I'm sure they'll make another hit any day now.

I'm sure it's a tougher job than it seems. But man is it easy to bash big Hollywood studios.

They literally gave King Kong AND Godzilla to indy directors, they're the wrong studio to get mad at

Also why the fuck do people keep bringing up the Wachowskis, they haven't made a movie in years

So, will studios accept the fact that Dane DeHaan is box office poison yet? I've seen more charisma and charm from a piece of burnt toast.

I only tell truths

Ya they let them skate too long. Cloud Atlas tells me Wachowskis still have the juice but they gotta earn the right to have carte blanche again

It is fun seeing WB just go all in on some weird shit though

WB was ready to do it with Akira until seeing all of this Whitewashing controversy and Ghost in the Shell massively bombing.

Speed Racer was a family film that was inexplicably PG-13 and too high of a budget

I dunno who the fuck thought Jupiter was a good idea

I think they gotta earn their way out of Film Jail the same way Bird did after Tomorrowland

They literally gave King Kong AND Godzilla to indy directors, they're the wrong studio to get mad at

Also why the fuck do people keep bringing up the Wachowskis, they haven't made a movie in years
I wasn't talking about and one studio. Just the film industry in general.

I wasn't contesting your point. Just piggy backing off it to make another.

Busty I'll hit you with the two piece and a biscuit if I hear you talkin' shit about Pacific Rim again :p

WB was ready to do it with Akira until seeing all of this Whitewashing controversy and Ghost in the Shell massively bombing.

They wanted them on that? That'd be pretty interesting IMO

I wasn't talking about and one studio. Just the film industry in general.

I wasn't contesting your point. Just piggy backing off it to make another.

Mofucka do I look like a trampoline

Busty

Banned

Boyega (with his British accent) piloting a giant mech just a few months after Star Wars isn't going to be the draw you think it will unless Detroit gets some serious awards love.

Busty I'll hit you with the two piece and a biscuit if I hear you talkin' shit about Pacific Rim again :p

They wanted them on that? That'd be pretty interesting IMO

Mofucka do I look like a trampoline

Nah, they didn't want the Wachowskis, but I think they would've let a director have carte blanche and a 100 million check to make their own vision of the property.

Really? This Pacific Rim sequel has 2018's 'The Huntsman' written all over it.
Ehhh... All they have to do is set the film in the same monsterverse and have cameo by Godzilla/Kong/Kaiju and it should do better.

Huntsman sequel was a disaster and something that no one asked for. It didn't have even a tiniest bit of appeal worldwide or domestically. Pacific Rim sequel has got it locked in China/Asia.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Marketing can play up Leia and you still won't be able to tell if it had an effect on the box office because of how big Force Awakens was. Shit guys, $200m OW with a 3.5 multiplier is absolutely monstrous yet still nearly the same drop as Avengers to Age of Ultron in terms of domestic total.

carlsojo

I think Valerie would have done better if it had a better release date and if they had cast me or literally anyone else as Valerian.

They could have cast Carla as Valerian instead and just ran with a female lead. I remember first seeing the trailer and being confused that she WASN'T the lead.

Top Bottom