• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

kswiston

More Worldwide Updates:

War for the Planet of the Apes - $175M
Valerian - $21M
Baby Driver - $119M
Baywatch - $170M
Captain Underpants - $82M

This is literally never happening.
Never say never.

spider_man_poster2.jpg

P&A is at least 100 million...

Somebody lost a shit load of money.

It ain't going to be either Besson or EuropaCorp (link is in french).

Like all businesses, we only green light projects when at least 80% of the budget is covered. For Valérian, we already covered 96% with pre sales. So EuropaCorp is taking a 4% financial risk, which basically means that there is no risk. It's more a notoriety risk. If the movie is a big flop, we won't instigate trust regarding the making of that kind of movies. It's not a financial risk, more of a human risk.

Comme toutes les entreprises, nous donnons le feu vert à un projet seulement si 80% de son budget est couvert. Pour Valérian, nous en avons déjà couvert 96% avec les préventes. EuropaCorp prend donc un risque sur 4% du financement, ce qui revient presque à dire qu’il n’y a aucun risque. Il s’agit davantage d’un problème de notoriété. Si le film est un gros flop, on ne nous fera plus confiance pour mettre en œuvre ce type de projet. Ce n’est donc pas tant un risque financier qu’un risque humain.

Dane DeHaan needs to be in a DC movie, just so he can complete the trifecta of getting mixed receptions on a Marvel movie, a movie based on an indie comic, and a DC movie. Then he can get blacklisted from ever appearing in another comic book property.

kswiston

Since the start of 2015, the MCU (including Homecoming) has made about $20M less than all of Paramount domestically.

If Mother!, Suburbicon, and Daddy's Home 2 can't cumulatively defeat Thor Ragnarok domestically, Marvel Studios will be a bigger domestic studio from 2015-2017 than Paramount.

I'll trust Besson more then what's in that article.

The article doesn't disagree with what Besson said.

There is some risk mitigation at play here for what is believed to be the most expensive independent movie of all time — the bulk of the production budget was covered with foreign pre-sales, equity financing, and tax subsidies. STX took on marketing and distribution for the film after EuropaCorp's partner, Relativity, went under. Europa financed the P&A. But, regardless, someone will pay for the movie's poor returns so far, and sights are set overseas to see if the international box office has a more positive response.

However the production budget does not include P&A. Europa financed the P&A.

Tagg9

Really surprised at Dunkirk's budget. Assumed it would be $150 mil easy based off what I was seeing in the trailers and hearing in reviews.

Nolan's a magician when it comes to this stuff. I think he's remained ahead of schedule and under budget on every single movie he's directed. That's one of the major reasons the studios love him and give him so much autonomy.

Just got out of Dunkirk in IMAX. I was blown away. I could see how it's not for everyone as yeah there minimal dialogue, but good Lord does Nolan FLEX his film making in this. Some of the shots are just gorgeous and the pacing was something else. Felt on the edge of my seat the entire way through.

9.5 / 10

Schlorgan

Paramount's highest domestic grossers since 2014:

-Mission Impossible Rogue Nation (2015): $195m ($683m WW)

-The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (2015): $163m ($325m WW)

-Star Trek Beyond (2016): $158m ($343m WW)

-Daddy's Home (2015): $150m ($243m WW)

-Transformers: The Last Knight (2017): $125m ($547m WW)

-Arrival (2016): $100m ($203m WW)

They haven't had a movie pass $200m domestic in 3 years.

Leonardo DiCaprio as well
Oh yeh. I am still amazed at the money made by The Revenant since the movie was extremely slow paced and dull overall. Amazing cinematography though.

Speaking of Apes.

Uz8M2KL.jpg

Star Trek Beyond ended with $158 million. It is safe to assume Apes won't hit $150 million with the way it is tracking right now. Not sure if it will fare better in the International market. The last Apes movie made over 700 million worldwide though.

mreddie

Since the start of 2015, the MCU (including Homecoming) has made about $20M less than all of Paramount domestically.

If Mother!, Suburbicon, and Daddy's Home 2 can't cumulatively defeat Thor Ragnarok domestically, Marvel Studios will be a bigger domestic studio from 2015-2017 than Paramount.

Considering Paramount helped Marvel before Disney, this is a nut kicker. It's like the nerd stealing the jocks girlfriend and then seeing the nerd is richer while the jock was a draft bust.

Girl's Trip doing more in it's opening weekend than Rough Night did worldwide.

Bless.

I had a feeling Trip was gonna beat Nolan but I didn't want to post that in case of crow.

kswiston

Considering Paramount helped Marvel before Disney, this is a nut kicker. It's like the nerd stealing the jocks girlfriend and then seeing the nerd is richer while the jock was a draft bust.

Having a studio that produced 7 films potentialy outgross the entire 3 year output of one of the "big 6" isn't a good look.

Hell, Star Wars might be ahead domestically in almost that same timeframe by the end of January 2018. So the domestic total of 3 films could potentially beat out all of Paramount over the previous 37 months.

Top Bottom