• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•28-30•17 - Nolan not Dun' w/ #1 run, = Atomic

Socivol

Surprised to see Girl's Trip hold so well but happy that it did. It has made by more than triple its budget in 9 days.

Shauni

It was a hard fought battle for #1, though!

Worldwide Updates

Despicable Me 3 - $819M
Pirates 5 - $776M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $633M
Transformers 5 - $569M
Cars 3 - $268M
Dunkirk - $234M

What Wondie at now?

Girls Trip's holds are quality, but I think a few of us saw that coming.

I'm wondering how far into the run we go before Wonder Woman finally stops making a million over the weekend.

Yep, it's pretty amazing. I'm glad they solved the mystery of the marketing

Ridley327

Still have to wonder why Lucy was such an insane success and why no other low-ish budget female lead action flick has managed to replicate it.

Lucy had a really light schedule to compete with at the time, and the trailers did a great job of selling its concept in a succinct yet stylish manner. From what I've read about Atomic Blonde, it seems like the trailers don't really represent what the film actually is (a period spy thriller), so selling it more like an action fest with the occasional quip doesn't seem to do it many favors.

Betty

Banned
I thought Pacific Rim was pretty bad.

Way too long, really cringy drama and writing, and while the robot fights were mostly good, having 2 people per bot felt dumb and I didn't like how the majority of fights were set at night.

Didn't help that I saw Attack on Titan season 1 not long after and it did the whole giant monster thing way better.

The best looking fight in Pacific Rim was when all those builders are working on a wall and they see a News report showing a battle during daytime.

Angelina Jolie was cool way before Scarlet. She was the female action lead that managed to do big at the box office. Scarlet got lucky with Lucy. Jolie remains the true MVP.

Tomb Raider: $274,703,340
Tomb Raider 2: $156,505,388
Wanted: $341,433,252
Salt: $293,503,354

Shauni

Top 10 films of the summer (estimated final grosses)

1) Wonder Woman - $410M
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $390M
3) Spider-man Homecoming - $325M
4) Despicable Me 3 - $260M
5) Dunkirk - $175M+ (?)
6) Pirates 5 - $172M (could be #5 if Dunkirk doesn't keep up)
7) War for the Planet of the Apes - $150M
8) Cars 3 - $150M (could beat Apes depending on next two weeks)
9) Transformers 5 - $132M
10) Girls Trip - $125M? (hard to say. It will top Baby Driver for #10 though. It could beat Transformers).

That is truly incredible on so many different levels.

Been a bad year for Scarjo,that Lucy capital is ovetdrawn
The bad movies that she is having lately are more than enough to slow down her career but she is lucky that she has a solid lead in the Marvel Cinematic Universe otherwise I doubt she can survive after releasing duds one after another.

roytheone

I thought Pacific Rim was pretty bad.

Way too long, really cringy drama and writing, and while the robot fights were mostly good, having 2 people per bot felt dumb and I didn't like how the majority of fights were set at night.

Didn't help that I saw Attack on Titan season 1 not long after and it did the whole giant monster thing way better.

The best looking fight in Pacific Rim was when all those builders are working on a wall and they see a News report showing a battle during daytime.

Plinko didn't just call it bad though, he said it was debatable that going to grown ups 2 instead of Pacific Rim was the correct choice. GROWN UPS 2!

Ridley327

The bad movies that she is having lately are more than enough to slow down her career but she is lucky that she has a solid lead in the Marvel Cinematic Universe otherwise I doubt she can survive after releasing duds one after another.

She's never been a stranger to small indie films, so she'll always have a home there if the blockbuster scene doesn't want her anymore.

🇫🇷 🇬🇧⛵️👀👌🏻🙌🏻👏🏻🔥

😃😲☺️👀😕😰😱💩

Bad Moms

1st Weekend: $23,817,340
2nd Weekend: $14,004,006 (-41.2%)
LTD: $113,257,297

Girls Trip

1st Weekend: $31,201,920
2nd Weekend: $20,085,540 (-35.6%)

Girls Trip is gonna be the surprise hit this Summer. It opened better than Bad Moms and held better in the second weekend. It should have no trouble clearing $120 million at this rate.

Socivol

Bad Moms

1st Weekend: $23,817,340
2nd Weekend: $14,004,006 (-41.2%)
LTD: $113,257,297

Girls Trip

1st Weekend: $31,201,920
2nd Weekend: $20,085,540 (-35.6%)

Girls Trip is gonna be the surprise hit this Summer. It opened better than Bad Moms and held better in the second weekend. It should have no trouble clearing $120 million at this rate.
It deserves it it's probably one of the (if not the funniest) movies I've ever seen.

Good on Atomic Blonde. Gonna see that day 1 when it comes out in UK on 3rd August.

Seeing Girls' Trip tomorrow. And then The Beguiled at some point. Yay for more female leads.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Plinko didn't just call it bad though, he said it was debatable that going to grown ups 2 instead of Pacific Rim was the correct choice. GROWN UPS 2!

Sorry--I'll take it back. I never saw Grown Ups 2. The first Grown Ups was what I was thinking about.

That said, I still hated Pacific Rim. Some of the worst acting and dialogue I've seen in ages.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Such a lame tired meme

q9NWcmn.gif

I'm sorry, what?

So there's a chance that this year we'll have the worst performing Transformers and Spider-Man movies?

2017, you're goddamn ruthless.

Alrus

I'm sad that Valerian bombed (and is bad) because that reduces the chance of seeing other sci-fi "european" comics adaptation that I would like. For example the Aldebaran series would be great.

So there's a chance that this year we'll have the worst performing Transformers and Spider-Man movies?

No Spiderman will end up doing better than both ASM.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Still have to wonder why Lucy was such an insane success and why no other low-ish budget female lead action flick has managed to replicate it.

Great marketing + weak competition + decent reviews + ScarJo at her peak drawing power after Winter Soldier

It was pretty much the stars aligning perfectly for Lucy.

Spider-Man? Nah. It is going to clear $300 million and will be way better than Amazing Spider-Man in that regard.

Worldwide, it should reach $700 million before its opening in China and then later Japan, which will determine the rest of its worldwide box office.

First time anyone does the safe, paint-by-numbers origin movie formula "but with a woman this time!!!" versus a thrice-booted, sixth outing for an established character.
You make it look so easy when it's not. If it was like that then any safe by the numbers superhero origin story would perform to $800m+ like WW.

That movie earned its success. It was just because it was half decent and starred a woman.

Top Bottom