• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•01-03•17 - Labor Day WEAKend box office has nothing as Bodyguard 3peats

latest

(am I deploying this correctly? Is this right? I never watched Dragonball)
Colin Trevorrow: "I didn't even want the gig, Bobby >_<"

kswiston

That will be the floor imo. I expect similar record breaking numbers in (specially) Latinamerica and Europe. Asia will be hard, though.

I don't want to go too high on 1 day of data :p

Asia has already opened, so we'll know how things look there tomorrow, outside of Japan. China won't see a theatrical run of IT.

It looks like about half of Latin America opened this weekend. I'm curious to see where Mexico lands. Most of Europe opened this weekend, but the territories that didn't are a lot of the major territories (Germany, France, Italy). If this was a simultaneous release, we'd probably be looking at an international weekend that approached $125M. I'm guessing $75-85M overseas this weekend based on the $16M Friday (and $26M 3-day).

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
And people said box office would get boring in September.

Also, another nice bonus, that irritating "endless trash" gif has another good movie in it, so maybe people will stop posting it in every movie thread.

kswiston

So the big guns left this year are Kingsman, BR2049, Thor, Justice League, and Last Jedi. Correct?

Based on what? GAF interest or box office potential?

Ninjago, Coco, Ferdinand, and Pitch Perfect 3 all have a shot at making more than some of the films on that list, but they aren't really aimed the GAF demographic.

Possibly Coco as well.

I have a bad feeling about the quality of Coco. Disney has spent more time advertising the 20 minute Frozen short than they have the film itself. There doesn't seem to be a lot of confidence there so far.

Snagged some of these bad boys at my local theater:

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/juk5oet.jpg[/IMG]

Super excited, going to put them up by my monument of shame alongside my Mighty No. 9 figurine.

Side-note: Brigsby Bear is probably the most empty showing I've been to all year.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Ninjago, Coco, Ferdinand, and Pitch Perfect 3 all have a shot at making more than some of the films on that list, but they aren't really aimed the GAF demographic.

I mean just blockbusters period.

Toa TAK

Banned
If Kingsman is good and gets good WOM, I don't see why it won't be a big gun, especially considering how much fun the first was.

kswiston

boxoffice.com has Thor Ragnarok opening to $100M domestic and Bad Moms Christmas opening to $30M.

If Kingsman is good and gets good WOM, I don't see why it won't be a big gun, especially considering how much fun the first was.

Kingsman sort of feels like War for the Planet of the Apes right now. There should be more buzz than there is.

People who defer to cynical RLM stuff as their response don't have much to add, anyway.

Sometimes it's funny, if not a little sad, when you see some people lift lines verbatim from RLM and the like, trying to pass them off as original thoughts.

So the big guns left this year are Kingsman, BR2049, Thor, Justice League, and Last Jedi. Correct?

Kingsman and Blade Runner are questionable to be considered big guns, at least by comparison to the other three. I'd love it if Blade Runner managed to be a huge hit, though.

I have a bad feeling about the quality of Coco. Disney has spent more time advertising the 20 minute Frozen short than they have the film itself. There doesn't seem to be a lot of confidence there so far.

I think Murder on the Orient Express has potential, to be a modest success at least.

And, uh, Jumanji will break out in the post-Star Wars 8 weeks. That'll happen. For sure.

Wait wait hold up.

We got so caught up in the IT hype that we completely overlooked the other big release this week:

How's 9/11 doing?

Code:

Super excited, going to put them up by my monument of shame alongside my Mighty No. 9 figurine.

Side-note: Brigsby Bear is probably the most empty showing I've been to all year.

God, the art has had so much more effort put into it than anything else in Inhumans.

Code:

Don't tell me that art is Jae Lee. I know he's been doing promo art for the TV show but his talent is being wasted on this garbage.

snap

Banned

Code:

you know, the thumbnail size of that looked different in a way that i did a double take

kswiston

They should have just merged the Inhumans into a Guardians of the Galaxy film or something if they didn't warrant a standalone.

Now the IP is trash (outside of comics) for at least a decade.

They should have just merged the Inhumans into a Guardians of the Galaxy film or something if they didn't warrant a standalone.

Now the IP is trash (outside of comics) for at least a decade.

I feel like the audience for Inhumans TV is so insignificant they could make a movie in 3 or 4 years and nobody would mind.

Just to answer my own question from before and satiate my curiosty, as per Collider:

At the specialty box office, 9/11, the new drama starring Charlie Sheen, is only pacing to gross roughly $160,000 from 400 theaters in its debut for a dismal location average of $399.

Currently has a 20% on the ole' Tomatometer.

Jesus on the IT numbers. They launched that at just the right time.

Days required for IT to cross $50M domestic: 1.5

Days required for Valerian to cross $50M domestic: &#8734;

Why you going to keep kicking them while they're down?

9) Spider-Man Homecoming - $510k (-37%) - $326M total

- Thanks to a run of terrible weeks at the box office, Spider-Man Homecoming will become one of those rare films that manages 10 straight weekends in the Top 10.

Spider-Man Homecoming passed the $50M mark in China after 2 days. This probably puts the worldwide total over $800M by the end of today. Its opening weekend there will certainly be over $70M now. The only MCU films with bigger openings in China were Age of Ultron and Civil War.

Spider-Man Homecoming continues its weird as hell box office run. It just feels like the film was at the right time to do what it's doing.

Top Bottom