• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•01-03•17 - Labor Day WEAKend box office has nothing as Bodyguard 3peats

Fularu

Banned
It was always there in large amounts but now it's become a beast of it's own. That and the general switch third party discussion. I still enjoy and probably these threads the most recently though i haven't been into box office gaf very much. There among the most technical threads on gaf and Chris provides a lot of interesting info.

MC is :

- Capcom talk (and how stupid they are)
- Sony's back! from the usual suspects when the PS4 has a week selling above 30k
- Aostia/Oregano's doom and gloom regarding the Switch and its obvious lack of third party support
- Monster Hunter World / Monster Hunter XX and how it shows Capcom took the right decision to get away from handhelds.

Wait point 4 and 1 are the same :p

berzeli

Banned
Does Paramount even have any big sure fire hits coming soon? Mission Impossible in 2018...umm, maybe Bumblebee but who knows with how The Last Knight collapsed. Star Trek time travel story sounds iffy as heck, even with Pine and Hemsworth riding high at the moment. Beyond was sent to die despite a really solid RT score. Uhhhhhh World War Z 2? Top Gun? I could see both of those being too late and getting slept on.
Paramount Doom Watch™
While Baby Driver and Emoji Movie both did well neither was the home run (so to speak) that the studio needed. As far as I'm concerned this summer has only papered over the cracks and they are still in as much trouble as Paramount are.., well, nearly.
Baby Driver cost $35 million and I haven't seen any accounts that it had a massive marketing budget. It's damn home run.
Not enough to save the studio or anything but it did goooooood.

And Sony are nowhere near the same amount of trouble that Paramount is in:
Paramount was nearly sold last year in the middle of the best damn season of Game of Boardrooms.
Paramount's biggest franchise imploded.
Paramount have had problems with their China co-financing deal.
Paramount's second biggest franchise* is facing delays because Tom Cruise got hurt.
SPE has a stronger TV presence, they have a more successful animation studio, it's better diversified all around.

And my view on Sony as I've already stated in this thread is that they're doing ok but is looking at a fairly meh rest of the year unless Jumanji becomes a hit.

*I'm counting nu-Trek as its own thing. Otherwise Trek is technically bigger.

Busty

Banned
Paramount Doom Watch™

Baby Driver cost $35 million and I haven't seen any accounts that it had a massive marketing budget. It's damn home run.
Not enough to save the studio or anything but it did goooooood.

It's worth remembering that Sony/Tristar co-fi Baby Driver with MRC so while it's a hit they are splitting that. They also partnered with MRC on Dark Tower which was supposed to be their next big film & TV franchise (Rothman even sent a company wide email proclaiming such a thing when it started production) and cratered.

And Sony are nowhere near the same amount of trouble that Paramount is in:
Paramount was nearly sold last year in the middle of the best damn season of Game of Boardrooms.
Paramount's biggest franchise imploded.
Paramount have had problems with their China co-financing deal.
Paramount's second biggest franchise* is facing delays because Tom Cruise got hurt.
SPE has a stronger TV presence, they have a more successful animation studio, it's better diversified all around.

And my view on Sony as I've already stated in this thread is that they're doing ok but is looking at a fairly meh rest of the year unless Jumanji becomes a hit.

*I'm counting nu-Trek as its own thing. Otherwise Trek is technically bigger.

SPE is currently a money losing venture for Sony and while Paramount has been leaking cash for ages they have a larger portfolio of media assets that Sony can never have because they are a Japanese company.

Yes, Viacom's stock is in the toilet but there is room from growth as a media company which is something SPE cannot do while they are owned by Sony.

So happy for it. I loved it, and hated the way people and these Youtubers *cough* Grace Randolph *cough* were calling its performance mediocre to bad, and saying it would be behind all the other Spiderman films.....

Now its looking like it will be within a stone's throw of the number 1 spider man film in a firm second place which is fucking GREAT considering they tanked the franchise's reputation for so many years before this film. It won't end far from BvS and has a chance to pass it, and will be the #1 Superhero gross of the year so far Worldwide until JL and Thor 3. I would love to see someone call that a failure.
Wonder Woman came and slapped everyone. Your successful but you don't feel successful. You finally made your money but your late to the party.

berzeli

Banned
It's worth remembering that Sony/Tristar co-fi Baby Driver with MRC so while it's a hit they are splitting that. They also partnered with MRC on Dark Tower which was supposed to be their next big film & TV franchise (Rothman even sent a company wide email proclaiming such a thing when it started production) and cratered.
It's still a hit.
And I don't know why you're bringing up The Dark Tower, I already said it was a failure:
The Dark Tower wasn't a financial disaster but failed to launch a new franchise
SPE is currently a money losing venture for Sony and while Paramount has been leaking cash for ages they have a larger portfolio of media assets that Sony can never have because they are a Japanese company.

Yes, Viacom's stock is in the toilet but there is room from growth as a media company which is something SPE cannot do while they are owned by Sony.
SPE would have turned a (small) profit last year if it wasn't for a goodwill impairment and it turned a profit in 2015 and 2014. Paramount lost money in 2016 & 2015 and was barely profitable in 2014

And I'm not talking about Viacom, I'm talking about Paramount Pictures.
Which I know, things get incredibly messy and tangled and it ends up being fairly arbitrary what constitutes what. And just to illustrate that mess:
Spike TV is under Viacom Media Networks, it's soon to be rebranded to The Paramount Network. However it will still be under Viacom Media Networks and not Paramount Pictures.

There are efforts to integrate Paramount further with the rest of Viacom, so we'll have to wait and see. But at least at the box office the future looks grim.

Schlorgan

Don't care about what happens to Paramount as long as Justin Lin gets to make at least one more Star Trek movie (one where he's not picking up Kurtzman's mess at the last minute).

Slayven

As much as the comic bookness of GOTG2 broke your mind, Slayven, I feel that Ragnarok will break it further for going balls deep into Kirby and Simonson stuff.
Sure, it won't have Krugarr, but I expect a whole lot of crazy nerdiness from it.

These are all just warming you up for Black Panther is all.

What if they have Mercurio The 4D man?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Inhumans: so human they can't even beat ancient aliens.

So, weeks to its cancellation?

I'm betting ABC just keeps quiet about it until next year. "Blah blah blah mini series. Blah blah blah limited series event."

So, would Baby Driver have made more in August, or would the general air of suck have pulled it down into undeserved mediocrity?

Basically, would it have been Baby Driver+, or would it have been Logan Lucky.

Inhumans: so human they can't even beat ancient aliens.

So, weeks to its cancellation?

IMAX already cut a week off from it, considering the original announcement stated it'd be in theaters for 2 weeks and now it's looking like IT will be getting all the screens this week.

Last time I remember this happening was when IMAX cut a last minute deal with Paramount to get TMNT: Out of the Shadows in for a week when Alice Through the Looking Glass tanked.

I'm betting ABC just keeps quiet about it until next year. "Blah blah blah mini series. Blah blah blah limited series event."

Hopefully they don't ull the same move that NBC did when Heroes Reborn sputtered and said "It was always meant to be a miniseries", and then the show ended on a major cliffhanger with a literal "To Be Continued" text on screen.

overcast

So, would Baby Driver have made more in August, or would the general air of suck have pulled it down into undeserved mediocrity?

Same question I had. I guess I didn't think about how Logan Lucky kinda dropped with little attention. Baby Driver got more people excited in that spot it had but I wonder if the June audience is more susceptible to that .

Elandyll

Banned

You're wrong.

SPE is making money (beaucoup money this year, even moreso if Jumanji is a hit this Holidays).

kswiston

I originally thought that moving to June was crazy, but it is hard to argue with $105M domestic for that sort of film.

It probably helped that pretty much everything in June with a widely marketed release after Wonder Woman was mediocre to terrible prior to Baby Driver landing.

I originally thought that moving to June was crazy, but it is hard to argue with $105M domestic for that sort of film.

It probably helped that pretty much everything in June with a widely marketed release after Wonder Woman was mediocre to terrible prior to Baby Driver landing.

Also, any success that Baby Driver has in August probably cuts into Dark Tower, which was also a Sony release. I mean, they knew that had a stinker on their hands with that one for a while, but you'd rather have that stinker be out with less good competition out there, not more.

Slayven

IMAX already cut a week off from it, considering the original announcement stated it'd be in theaters for 2 weeks and now it's looking like IT will be getting all the screens this week.

Last time I remember this happening was when IMAX cut a last minute deal with Paramount to get TMNT: Out of the Shadows in for a week when Alice Through the Looking Glass tanked.

Hopefully they don't ull the same move that NBC did when Heroes Reborn sputtered and said "It was always meant to be a miniseries", and then the show ended on a major cliffhanger with a literal "To Be Continued" text on screen.

Heroes Reborn was so bad.

Wow, Logan Lucky is actually doing better than I expected considering the opening.

It's going to make a few million in the long run after it leaves theaters and comes to DVD/streaming.

Slayven

I thought that you were talking about the Marvel event for a second before seeing the context of your reply.
yeah, NBC was like "Lets take everything that sucked about the first heroes and amp it up", still shocked they did work Sylar into it.

Marvel's Heroes Reborn was actually pretty good just lacked commitment, the Iron Man design is still one of the best.

yeah, NBC was like "Lets take everything that sucked about the first heroes and amp it up", still shocked they did work Sylar into it.

Marvel's Heroes Reborn was actually pretty good just lacked commitment, the Iron Man design is still one of the best.

Wasn't it like Whilce Portacio doing the art? He drew a good Iron Man.

Heroes Reborn was so bad.

I'll always appreciate it for taking one of the heroes from the original show and turning them into a selfish, backstabbing, unlikable villain, then giving him the most unceremonious and wimpy death just to drive home how much of a coward he always was.

I wish more stories would do that.

Slayven

Wasn't it like Whilce Portacio doing the art? He drew a good Iron Man.
Yes it was, drawing good tech is a skill in itself.
I'll always appreciate it for taking one of the heroes from the original show and turning them into a selfish, backstabbing, unlikable villain, then giving him the most unceremonious and wimpy death just to drive home how much of a coward he always was.

I wish more stories would do that.

LOL Matt was done so dirty, and they never really explained why

The best thing about Heroes Reborn was Heroes Return. That blessed us with the Jurgens/Romita Jr. Thor run, and the Busiek/Perez Avengers.

kswiston

The best thing about Heroes Reborn was Heroes Return. That blessed us with the Jurgens/Romita Jr. Thor run, and the Busiek/Perez Avengers.

I haven't read it since I was a teenager, but I liked Claremont's Fantastic Four run at the time. I don't know thst any of it made a lasting impression beyond Valeria though.

Valerian above $200 million.

AmWTuW.gif

Next stop: $205 million.

berzeli

Banned
Okay so because I had to find these numbers for another post I might as well post them here too.

What is the most impressive showing for a TV show in cinemas? Answer: Sherlock: The Abominable Bride by a massive margin.
the-numbers have it at: $38,400,603 international
mojo has it at $39,139,204 international

I haven't been able to find "pure" domestic numbers but:
Its limited cinema release at over 750 screens in the US and Canada grossed $2.7m
($2.7 million is more than the global take for Inhumans)

Now obviously Inhumans is a much more limited release, Sherlock is more of an established brand in its own right (Marvel branding of Inhumans notwithstanding), and has bigger stars.
Still it shows what can be achieved (when China loves you).
Valerian above $200 million.
Next stop: $205 million.
You shouldn't be celebrating these numbers.

Jeph Loeb:
”I can't speak to things that are being worked on, I can only tell you that our partnership with IMAX, particularly with Greg Foster has been nothing short of extraordinary. This was their idea. They looked at the landscape.

I don't think people know this, but there are certain weekends of the year. One of them happens to be, if you're in America, Labor Day weekend, where IMAX theaters are dark and there is no IMAX film that is playing during that time. Even if Dunkirk is Dunkirk, by the time it gets to Labor Day it's not going to be in the theater anymore and so they came to us and said, ”We really want to try to create something that is a television experience, but bringing it on to an IMAX screen."

We're not in any way saying that we made an IMAX film, we're not in any way saying that this is a movie. This is a premiere of a television series that was shot with IMAX cameras and will be presented in an IMAX epic way of doing things, but it's not fair to process when you think about it that if someone is going to compare us to Dunkirk, which is a $200 million movie and we're a television show."

I don't think people know this, but there are certain weekends of the year.

Holy shit Jeph, this explains everything

edit: What a sad, depressing statement that is. "Guys, c'mon. We're not Dunkirk. That's not fair."

Nobody was expecting Dunkirk. They just werent expecting Misfits of Science (eh? EH SLAY? HEYYY)

Holy shit Jeph, this explains everything

edit: What a sad, depressing statement that is. "Guys, c'mon. We're not Dunkirk. That's not fair."

Nobody was expecting Dunkirk. They just werent expecting Misfits of Science (eh? EH SLAY? HEYYY)

Later on in the article he talks about how AoS and Inhumans will cross over if they're both successful...

IMAGINE if HBO had the brass balls to pull that shit vs just do a continuation movie like they did for Sex & The City / Entourage

berzeli

Banned
Deadline dropped Inhumans to:
3-day cume: $1.2M/4-day: $1.36M
(still an estimate, not actual)

Uh. That's uh. Christ. Did IMAX pull it early or something?

berzeli

Banned
lotta people here thought the original estimates were far too high
Me included. It's just that final day figure...

Close Encounters
3-day cume: $1.8M/4-day:$2.3M
All Saints
3-day cume: $1.27M (-16%)/4-day: $1.6M
Tulip Fever
3-day cume: $1.15M/4-day: $1.4M

It gets beaten by Tulip Fever in the 4 day, fucking Tulip Fever.
(I know, I know still estimates but there's nothing quite like premature gloating)

Top Bottom