• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•29-10•01•17 - Cruise spitroasted by Pennywise and Kingsman, Flatliners DOA

kswiston

Have to imagine Bobby Roberts is holding a private party for that bit of news. Got himself banned just in time for the inevitable return at TLJ's release, I guess. :\

Bobby is happy to talk to people on Twitter, even if he isn't in these threads going forward.

If Thor Ragnarok flops, or if Toa Tak ends up directing and ruining Creed 2, you can troll him there.

On topic, I am not sure if this was posted a couple of days ago, but the MPAA did an audit on Chinese ticket sales, and found that Hollywood films were underreported by up to 9% last year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...na-box-office-mpaa-audit-finds-report-1045150

According to a Wall Street Journal report published early Tuesday, PricewaterhouseCoopers, investigating on behalf of the MPAA, has discovered that ticket sales in China were underreported by as much as 9 percent in 2016, which amounts to at least $40 million in missing revenue for the six major U.S. studios.

International film studios are currently entitled to a 25 percent share of box-office revenue in China, and the U.S. studios' films officially grossed $1.87 billion there last year — which leaves a take-home of about $470 million.

But Chinese cinemas have been known to employ various tactics to game the system. The MPAA's auditors found incidences of fraud during their inquiry, including unreported screenings, under-reported audience sizes and ticket sales miscategorized as concessions, the Journal's sources, which were unnamed, said.

Toa TAK

Banned
That’s libel, kswiss, I’d never ruin Creed.

Also, I really, REALLY hope Blade Runner makes a profit because that was a hell of a movie.

That’s libel, kswiss, I’d never ruin Creed.

Also, I really, REALLY hope Blade Runner makes a profit because that was a hell of a movie.

It probably will, at least if tracking is anything to go by, but it needs to do really well overseas too. Should be big in China hopefully.

Oh wow. Keep him and his goons away from the script and keep the runtime under 2 hours and it will be dope as hell.

I can only imagine a heist action movie under his direction. Channing Tatum rocks too.

Verbinski isn't a writer, and his "goons" were only involved with the Disney films he did. I'm sure it'll be okay in that regard.

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was pretty freaking phenomenal. Totally not what I expected of it, but that's a good thing.

I'm also blown away that WB gave the okay on a near 3 hour, $150M+ film like this. Certainly curious to see what the legs are like.

kswiston

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was pretty freaking phenomenal. Totally not what I expected of it, but that's a good thing.

I'm also blown away that WB gave the okay on a near 3 hour, $150M+ film like this. Certainly curious to see what the legs are like.

Alcon paid for a lot of it.

duckroll

Alcon paid for a lot of it.

Who are they anyway? Where did they come from? How did they end up with the rights to Blade Runner?

And maybe the most important question of all: When Villeneuve is introducing the extra Blade Runner shorts, he says that Luke Scott is his friend, is he telling the truth?

Todd McFarlane anticipates that he'll begin formal production on his long-gestating Spawn reboot film in February. McFarlane, who is directing the live-action film based on his own script, revealed this and other details in a New York Comic Con panel covered by Deadline.

McFarlane said the film will be "Dark and R-rated" - even more R-rated than the hit film Deadpool which he said had "a couple F-bombs and a couple bare asses."

Using the anology of being "a shark in black water," Spawn is described as a dark suspenseful drama a la Jaws.

"And if you're swimming he will come and you'll be gone and he will f*** you up."

McFarlane is working with the horror studio Blum on this, and said that due to their first-look deal with Universal Spawn could end up there - but they would only need them for "distribution and marketing."

"We don’t need your input, we don’t need your cash, we don’t need your creativity – and they don’t like those deals," McFarlane said, who worked with Warner Bros.'s New Line on the original Spawn film. "They always want the budget to go up because then they have to put money in it and then they own it.”

That budget, McFarlane says, is $10 million. The 1997 Spawn film had a $40m budget - which, adjusted for inflation would be $61.73m in 2017 money.

“I’m spending my own money so who cares if it doesn’t work out," said McFarlane. "It’s a $10 million budget movie, and (a studio) would just get a 22-year-old punk director. I just want to be the old punk directing it.”

No release date for Spawn has been announced.

On Spawn.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Bless your heart, Todd McFarlane. Bless your heart.

This is a good way to test his mettle though. Nobody in their right mind would let him write/direct/produce this if it had a even a medium sized budget. So if he can pull off something good, he can get bigger stuff. If it sucks...it's ALL on him. With $10 million on the line, the only thing at risk is his ego.

berzeli

Banned
Who are they anyway? Where did they come from? How did they end up with the rights to Blade Runner?

And maybe the most important question of all: When Villeneuve is introducing the extra Blade Runner shorts, he says that Luke Scott is his friend, is he telling the truth?
Alcon isn't some unknown production company, they've been around since the 90s.
They're American.
They acquired them in 2011.

Does this look like a man capable of someone as cool as Villeneuve as a friend?
qAMi9xo.jpg

Seriously though, what is it with the male spawn of Ridley Scott and incredibly unflattering headwear?
EiFjm5J.jpg

Like.
K5czwE8.jpg

It's not just me seeing this right?
sE7ZDDi.jpg

Ross61

Alcon isn't some unknown production company, they've been around since the 90s.
They're American.
They acquired them in 2011.

Does this look like a man capable of someone as cool as Villeneuve as a friend?
qAMi9xo.jpg

Seriously though, what is it with the male spawn of Ridley Scott and incredibly unflattering headwear?
EiFjm5J.jpg

Like.
K5czwE8.jpg

It's not just me seeing this right?
sE7ZDDi.jpg
As cool as Villeneuve?

Ridley Scott would not let him direct 2049 unless he went on a playdate with his son Luke.

jett

D-Member
Bobby is happy to talk to people on Twitter, even if he isn't in these threads going forward.

If Thor Ragnarok flops, or if Toa Tak ends up directing and ruining Creed 2, you can troll him there.

On topic, I am not sure if this was posted a couple of days ago, but the MPAA did an audit on Chinese ticket sales, and found that Hollywood films were underreported by up to 9% last year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...na-box-office-mpaa-audit-finds-report-1045150

Technically all Hollywood releases are controlled by the Chinese government right? Or am I mistaken?

berzeli

Banned
Blade Runner might do good (preview numbers):
The numbers are in and Warner Bros. is reporting $4M for Alcon Entertainment/Sony's Blade Runner 2049. That's on the high end of what we reported late last night and above the preview nights of such movies as Mad Max: Fury Road, Prometheus, The Martian and Gravity (which in all fairness started with 10PM showtimes). We'll know in a few hours whether Blade Runner 2049 will crack $50M which would be a solid start for this $155M-plus net budgeted epic. The Denis Villeneuve-directed sci-fi sequel to Ridley Scott's 1982 cult classic expands to 4,058 theaters today. Imax auditoriums alone grossed a solid $800K last night.
it will be close to the preview nights of such cult sci-fi franchises as Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ($4.1M), Mad Max: Fury Road ($3.7M), Prometheus ($3.56M off 1,368 midnight showtimes). But most of all, Blade Runner 2049‘s Thursday night would be higher than The Martian ($2.5M) and Gravity ($1.4M off 10PM and midnight shows). Gravity and The Martian hold respectively the top two openings for October with $55.8M and $54.3M. It's way too early to project whether Blade Runner 2049 gets that high.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So it's close to the movies that were already established. The Martian and Gravity would be lower, since they had no pre established movie audience running out to see them day one.

I saw those shorts after seeing 2049, and they were fine and all, and obviously much smaller scale and budget... but it gave me shades of what a Blade Runner sequel could've been without a genius like Denis at the helm.

kswiston

I thought all foreign moves were released under this company

Maybe you're right, it's the theaters that are skimming off the top and not the government themselves.

The government has indirectly encouraged it by offering theatres incentives to push state-backed films and propaganda films. Several exhibitioners would boost their ticket sales for those films by claiming that tickets sold for a Hollywood film were in fact sold for the propaganda film.

Terminator Genisys got hit particularly hard by that scam. It's estimated to have made about 15% more than what was claimed.

I think that there has been some condemnations of these practices recently, but China still manipulates the Chinese film industry to their own benefit, even if they aren't skimming actual money.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wait... Blade runner 2049 is a 150+million dollar R-rated hollywood film? How did that happen?

A beautiful mistake.

And boy what a glorious movie it turned out to be. Best movie I've seen all year.

kswiston

I do wonder if Hollywood will give up on their China focus at some point. Domestic Chinese films are starting to far outpace the Hollywood stuff, so the primary lure of growth isn't paying off as strongly as people were hoping 5 years ago.

If you read the article I posted above, all of Hollywood only took in $470M last year (though I am guessing that the figure does not include Hollywood films whose Chinese distribution rights were bought outright for a fixed price). $470M is a lot of money, but they make closer to $6B domestically, and more than that from the other international box office territories. If China decided to ban foreign films outright, things wouldn't be all that different financially for all but a small handful of films.

kswiston

Deadline is currently saying $17-18M for Blade Runner on Friday, and mid 40s for the weekend. Basically what Fury Road did in its opening frame.

My Little Pony is being projected to take $3-3.5M Friday, and $10-13M for the weekend.

They currently have IT in third place with $2.6M on Friday and $10M over the weekend.

Bronson pick of the week The Mountain Between Us is expected to make $8-10M this weekend off of a $3M Friday.

Kingsman is expected to be down around 55% again. If it hits $100M domestic, it will be just barely.

Deadline is currently saying $17-18M for Blade Runner on Friday, and mid 40s for the weekend. Basically what Fury Road did in its opening frame.

Sounds familiar.

So we're aiming for Mad Max Fury Road at best, where a film ekes over the line into commercially successful, but the critical buzz is worth it overall for the studio.

Mad Max: Fury Road was $378 million worldwide on a $150 million budget. $450 million was the high point listed elsewhere in this thread. I think a bit lower, but we'll see.

Because that's around the best most straight-forward scifi films do. It'd be one thing if they were selling it as an action film that happened to be in the future, but they aren't.

The Martian: $228 million domestic
Interstellar: $188 million
Rise of the Planet of the Apes: $176 million
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: $208 million
War for the Planet of the Apes: $146 million
Arrival: $100 million
Passengers: $100 million
Oblivion: $89 million
Minority Report: $132 million
Prometheus: $126 million

Treating it as a thriller isn't much better for the most part. Could it break out? Sure. But by and large, the prospects aren't great for scifi films. It's not the kind of film you'd normally spend $185 million on.

Pachimari

Seems like we are finally getting a movie on Duterte's "war on drugs," and the director has decided to premiere Dark is the Night at the Toronto Film Festival today and on October 31. I hope one of our Toronto folks will go and watch it and report back how it is. The world needs to pay more attention toward what's going on in my country Philippines.

jett

D-Member
The government has indirectly encouraged it by offering theatres incentives to push state-backed films and propaganda films. Several exhibitioners would boost their ticket sales for those films by claiming that tickets sold for a Hollywood film were in fact sold for the propaganda film.

Terminator Genisys got hit particularly hard by that scam. It's estimated to have made about 15% more than what was claimed.

I think that there has been some condemnations of these practices recently, but China still manipulates the Chinese film industry to their own benefit, even if they aren't skimming actual money.

I do wonder if Hollywood will give up on their China focus at some point. Domestic Chinese films are starting to far outpace the Hollywood stuff, so the primary lure of growth isn't paying off as strongly as people were hoping 5 years ago.

If you read the article I posted above, all of Hollywood only took in $470M last year (though I am guessing that the figure does not include Hollywood films whose Chinese distribution rights were bought outright for a fixed price). $470M is a lot of money, but they make closer to $6B domestically, and more than that from the other international box office territories. If China decided to ban foreign films outright, things wouldn't be all that different financially for all but a small handful of films.

I guess the pandering will start to slow down a tad.

snap

Banned
I'm seeing Blade Runner in "XD" about 30 min. It's a free upgrade for rewards members, so I don't see why not. I did notice though only two seats have been reserved other than the one I got and walking into the last showing during the credits the massive theater was completely empty with a handful of empty popcorn bags scattered about.

I decided to pop in to the Flatliners theater because I was curious what kind of people were in there, and I was treated to this:

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/nFuHU9K.jpg[/IMG]

Nobody.

Not a one was in there.

The screen was just playing to an empty room.

Top Bottom