• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•29-10•01•17 - Cruise spitroasted by Pennywise and Kingsman, Flatliners DOA

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I wouldn’t be shocked at all if BP or Thor 3 end up as the highest rated Marvel movie. Hell, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re both in the top three.

Last time I remember Disney dropping an embargo really early was Pete's Dragon, and that got an amazing reception.

I get why people are bored with the franchise, but the fact that we can get Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 -> Spider-Man: Homecoming -> Thor: Ragnarok -> Black Panther -> Avengers: Infinity War and (hopefully) increase in quality is mind boggling to me.

Technically opening on the 24th, but the social media embargo is quite early. Interesting tactic these days to keep word of mouth up until release.

Hasn't that kind of backfired on them lately, though? Like, by the time the movie actually comes out, the reviews are like a week or two old and mostly forgotten about outside of "it's good".

Slayven

Hasn't that kind of backfired on them lately, though? Like, by the time the movie actually comes out, the reviews are like a week or two old and mostly forgotten about outside of "it's good".

They done it for their last few films and hasn't seem to hurt them. Quite the opposite

Hot take:

Black Panther is going to be Marvel's highest rated movie.

Marvel seems really confident with Thor Ragnorak on that front; social media embargo is up tomorrow, and reviews can be posted on the 19th.

Black Panther gonna kick asses from here to right over there. But Marvel lifting the Thor embargo that early shows extreme confidence. Taika gonna melt brains.

Now just think of the one two punch of Thor to Black Panther. If they deliver as hard as expected, that is a helluva lead up to Infinity War.

snap

Banned
Black Panther gonna kick asses from here to right over there. But Marvel lifting the Thor embargo that early shows extreme confidence. Taika gonna melt brains.

Now just think of the one two punch of Thor to Black Panther. If they deliver as hard as expected, that is a helluva lead up to Infinity War.

They always raise embargo like a month early.

kswiston

We'll know if they eventually land on an X-Men Apocalypse if there are suddenly no advanced reviews.

The Dark World would probably be rotten by 2017 standards.

Slayven

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...es-red-carpet-prep-black-panther-tour-1046683

"Marvel is like the FBI," Michael B. Jordan said with a laugh when asked to talk about his next movie, Marvel's Black Panther, in which he plays villain Erik Killmonger. "I can't say too much of anything, but it's going to be a well-rounded film."

However, what he did (or at least, could) share was that he's already started working with his stylist, Jeff K. Kim, on prepping the red-carpet looks he'll be wearing while promoting the highly anticipated action film, which also stars Chadwick Boseman and Lupita Nyong'o. The movie, directed by Ryan Coogler, drops Feb. 16, 2018.

A little bit for War for the Planet of the Apes. Social media embargo and review embargoes were really early for it.

DJChuy

The shitty thing about BR is the showtimes. Since the movie is almost 3 hours, it's really difficult to find a good time to go see it. There's a huge gap between 3 to 7:30; 3 is too early for us, but 7:30 is too late since we'll be getting out nearly at 11.

We settled for American Made and enjoyed it.

Slayven

The shitty thing about BR is the showtimes. Since the movie is almost 3 hours, it's really difficult to find a good time to go see it. There's a huge gap between 3 to 7:30; 3 is too early for us, but 7:30 is too late since we'll be getting out nearly at 11.

We settled for American Made and enjoyed it.

Feels wrong to get out of a movie and go straight to bed

If Blade Runner doesn't turn a profit I give up on Hollywood completely beyond Episode VIII and IX.

Someone please tell me it'll be ok

Pharaun

If Blade Runner doesn't turn a profit I give up on Hollywood completely beyond Episode VIII and IX.

Someone please tell me it'll be ok

It's not going to be ok. It's looking really bad for BR. If it's lucky it might eventually make a profit after 12 different cuts and rereleases over the years like the original.

Magilla

Banned
Yo, Made in America was legit good. Reminded me a lot of Blow and similar films. Glad I saw it and super pumped to see Blade Runner next weekend.

Slayven

After the PR trailer.

Thoughts on BO?

My money is on it doing worse then the first one.

Mark that in a spreedsheet Kswiss

kswiston

After the PR trailer.

Thoughts on BO?

My money is on it doing worse then the first one.

Mark that in a spreedsheet Kswiss

We did that a page or two ago. I think everyone agrees with you.

Some think that Asia could compensate. I know that they shot in China after the stuff in Australia.

Slayven

We did that a page or two ago. I think everyone agrees with you.

Some think that Asia could compensate. I know that they shot in China after the stuff in Australia.

You Toa Taking it right now.

I thought the China Pandering returns weren't what they use to be?

kswiston

You Toa Taking it right now.

I thought the China Pandering returns weren't what they use to be?

Legendary is owned by a Chinese company, so all of their films have done well there recently.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see PR Uprising hit $150-200M in China.

I'm thinking $60M domestic.

Slayven

B Jordan's already working with his stylist???!

MEGATON
He has to be styling less he be clowned forever on twitter
Legendary is owned by a Chinese company, so all of their films have done well there recently.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see PR Uprising hit $150-200M in China.

I'm thinking $60M domestic.

Hmm looking at lineup for March 2018, could be a fun month for BO Gaf. I didn't know Tomb Raider was that soon

Shit. Lowballing that much? I see it doing slightly worse or better overall. It definitely won’t be a huge hit or bomb. It was just simply be.

kswiston

I just don't feel the hype for a Pacific Rim sequel domestically outside of a niche audience who went crazy for the first.

I fully expect Ready Player One to beat it.

Slayven

Shit. Lowballing that much? I see it doing slightly worse or better overall. It definitely won’t be a huge hit or bomb. It was just simply be.
I am their target demo and PR never got my engine running
I just don't feel the hype for a Pacific Rim sequel domestically outside of a niche audience who went crazy for the first.

I seriously think RPO will be a mild hit

gatti-man

RPO makes me roll my eyes hard. I expect that movie to bomb through the floor unless there is way more to it than in the trailers.

Slayven

RPO looks like some CGI-addled mess. I'll be surprised if it's not another Spielbergian disappointment.

If that is the movie's only problem it will be luckier then a rabbit with a horseshoe up it's ass.

I never cringed reading a book before, but RPO.....man

Top Bottom