• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•29-10•01•17 - Cruise spitroasted by Pennywise and Kingsman, Flatliners DOA

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Came out of BR 2049 a few hours ago. I really liked the movie, but this is definitely not a mainstream movie. It's way too slow paced and long to become a mainstream hit, even I felt that it was a bit too long.

Maybe if the entire movie was more like the opening scene(which is probably one of the best opening scenes of any movie) and if it was atleast 40 mins shorter, it would have a chance to become a box office hit. In its current form, I don't see it being a hit unfortunately.

Marvel seems really confident with Thor Ragnorak on that front; social media embargo is up tomorrow, and reviews can be posted on the 19th.
Basically similar to Civil War.

Early tickets have been available for a month now as well.

What’s interesting is that usually when tickets go on sale early, I always get them day one and I’m usually the only occupied seat until a week or few days till release.

However with Thor, there are already people taking up spots.

Davide

Blade Runner really deserves more, far more than The Martian did in October 2015 which I found underwhelming but everyone was talking about it. And I do think it should have mainstream appeal.

Came out of BR 2049 a few hours ago. I really liked the movie, but this is definitely not a mainstream movie. It's way too slow paced and long to become a mainstream hit, even I felt that it was a bit too long.

Maybe if the entire movie was more like the opening scene(which is probably one of the best opening scenes of any movie) and if it was atleast 40 mins shorter, it would have a chance to become a box office hit. In its current form, I don't see it being a hit unfortunately.
The movie definitely has some training wheels on when it comes to explaining shit for the audience already, they probably should have just gone a bit further and thrown in more replicant action to keep antsy people focused. I loved how tense and violent the action that we got was,
but the fights in the movie are over in a flash, and Ryan is always getting his ass kicked in them. The bad guys are basically always winning outside of that first fight and the final kill.

Honestly, the movie was my jam but I’m sure there is an edit of it that can bring it closer to 2-2:30 that feels a lot tighter. It feels like they put the extended cut in theaters preemptively with its pacing.

Spielberg's sure had a lot of duds lately.

Bridge of Spies and Lincoln were well-received, and I thought they were great personally. The BFG is his only recent "flop" as of late, and I actually thought that was charming. I'm also interested in The Papers, and Ready Player One, even though the source material for the later is shit.

kevin1025

Banned
Bridge of Spies and Lincoln were well-received, and I thought they were great personally. The BFG is his only recent "flop" as of late, and I actually thought that was charming. I'm also interested in The Papers, and Ready Player One, even though the source material for the later is shit.

I agree with everything you said!

Alienfan

WB are virtually the only studio taking big budget R rated risks nowadays, and it sucks they're not getting rewarded for it. Hopefully Blade Runner breaks even, otherwise our only hope for big budget R rated films is probably Netflix

Aselith

If Blade Runner doesn't turn a profit I give up on Hollywood completely beyond Episode VIII and IX.

Someone please tell me it'll be ok

How come? We've been spoiled with SciFi lately and Annihilation coming up. This was just a really big budget on a sequel to a movie that has been very influential but also is not necessarily for everyone and known for being slow. Even people that are film buffs find the original to be deathly slow.

It sucks that its not doing better but it got made and that's awesome. Thanks, Hollywood!

Slaythe

Let's play a game.

You see BR being absolute dog shit at box office, and then you have Suicide Squad.

Do you end your life ?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Let's play a game.

You see BR being absolute dog shit at box office, and then you have Suicide Squad.

Do you end your life ?

I get you're joking, but that still sends up "what the fuck" signs. How on Earth did people seriously think Blade Runner was gonna be this super mega hit?

dmshaposv

Sony not WB.

Its so confusing I saw this in Dubai and everywhere the sony logo was splashed with product placement.

Yet the OG Blade Runner was a WB film and even WB produced 2049 (and distributed in NA). How does this Sony deal work in that they havent even credited WB in the international release???

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The original BR apparently didn’t set the Box Office on fire at the time so I’m not really surprised the sequel didn’t either.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Its so confusing I saw this in Dubai and everywhere the sony logo was splashed with product placement.

Yet the OG Blade Runner was a WB film and even WB produced 2049 (and distributed in NA). How does this Sony deal work in that they havent even credited WB in the international release???
Sony was one of the production partners and I believe is also the international distributor. WB is only the US distributor, afaik they didn’t have a hand in production.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If that is the movie's only problem it will be luckier then a rabbit with a horseshoe up it's ass.

I never cringed reading a book before, but RPO.....man
A lot of people love that about the book. And 80s nostalgia is in.

I'm just baffled why Spielberg chose this over anything else.

Basically similar to Civil War.

Early tickets have been available for a month now as well.

What’s interesting is that usually when tickets go on sale early, I always get them day one and I’m usually the only occupied seat until a week or few days till release.

However with Thor, there are already people taking up spots.
Ruffalo Bump!

Pharaun

A lot of people love that about the book. And 80s nostalgia is in.

I'm just baffled why Spielberg chose this over anything else.

Senor Spielbergo has secretly replaced Steven Spielberg and is now doing the bidding of a corrupt corporate executive.

546295.jpg

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
RPO is going to be interesting. I could see it disappointing because there’s a lot going against it, but I could also see it tuning into a huge hit. It probably depends on whether the advertising gets better than the first trailer, which doesn’t make it look appealing at all.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) Blade Runner 2049 - $31.5M
2) The Mountain Between Us - $10.1M
3) IT - $9.7M - $305M total
4) My Little Pony - $8.8M
5) Kingsman The Golden Circle - $8.1M - $80M total
6) American Made - $8.1M - $30M total
7) LEGO Ninjago Movie - $6.8M - $44M total

IT is now at $604M worldwide

FTF

Does anyone know what's up with BR2049 and it being WB? Because all the credits before the movie said Sony :/

Yeah that's not a great start for BR2049 at all, legs will be interesting to watch but it seems to not really be hitting the main stream so I don't expect them to be exceptionally great

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
If BR totally collapses, would it be possible for it to do worse than Arrival?

FTF

The shitty thing about BR is the showtimes. Since the movie is almost 3 hours, it's really difficult to find a good time to go see it. There's a huge gap between 3 to 7:30; 3 is too early for us, but 7:30 is too late since we'll be getting out nearly at 11.

We settled for American Made and enjoyed it.

Ah has that been it? I've been trying to find evening show times for a 2D screening but they're all like in the afternoon or 10PM. The last few shows I've gone to have all been IMAX and have been normal evening times. The BR showings around here at the time I want are for 3D :/

Top Bottom