• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•13-15•17 - Audiences show Death Day & Jackie Chan what love is, Blade dull

Penguin

I'd honestly be shocked if DCEU came out with more than two in 2019 considering what a disorganised mess they appear to be.

I mean folks say that, but is it really?

The only movie that has really suffered was The Flash.

The Batman never really had a date, and the only major shift (so faR) has been Affleck dropping as director.

Aquaman has been on point and so far nothing has gone wrong with Shazam?

I am still baffled how WB goes nearly an entire year without a single DC movie in 2018 till Aquaman at the end of the year.
Don't forget Teen Titans Go to the Movies!....

Busty

Banned
What are you even talking about at this stage?
So when you use hack math to say both Sony and Alcon are in line for massive losses that's ok but if I point out with the readily accessible data that Sony is looking better of the two that's not?

Or is it the budget thing? Because as an example, since the Norwegian Film Institute releases figures: The Snowman had a budget of 180 million NOK for its Norway shoot and it received 40.5 million NOK in tax rebates. So yeah getting $180 million down to ~$150 million is in the ballpark.

With all your cheering for Paramount to go up in smoke (and people losing their jobs) I don't know why you're now getting so hung up on the idea of the size of the loss Sony are going to be making on BLADE Runner 2049.

They co-financed the film and distributed it Internationally. Are they suggesting that they are going to be able to do so without paying any P&A costs at all but still charging a flat distributor fee to Alcon?

I feel like you're tying yourself in knots over this.

berzeli

Banned
With all your cheering for Paramount to go up in smoke (and people losing their jobs) I don't know why you're now getting so hung up on the idea of the size of the loss Sony are going to be making on BLADE Runner 2049.

They co-financed the film and distributed it Internationally. Are they suggesting that they are going to be able to do so without paying any P&A costs at all but still charging a flat distributor fee to Alcon?

I feel like you're tying yourself in knots over this.
I'm not stanning for Sony, I'm pointing out that they don't share the exact same fate over Blade Runner as Alcon. I don't think I've had anything super nice to say about SPE over the last couple of years other than Baby Driver and that they're not Paramount.
Also, I've only cheered for executives losing their job at Paramount since it has been mismanaged and the insinuation that I would enjoy ordinary people losing their employment is really disgusting.

Deadline is making the global P&A claim, I didn't. I think Sony put some P&A money in there but the vast majority is Alcon's. Um, Sony is distributing it of course they're getting a distributors fee?

I'm really not, I've been pretty consistent on what my opinion on Blade Runner's financial success or lack thereof (other than I thought Warner backed US P&A).

Izayoi

Banned
Blade Runner was fucking incredible... What a shame to see how it's doing at the box office.

I blame dumb consumers bereft of anything even remotely resembling an attention span.

Busaiku

I'm surprised Marshall opened in so few theaters.
I'm not in the biggest city, but it's playing everywhere around here.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Been a bit of a weak year for animation, huh? Can't blame Warner Bros shooting their shot with Lego Batman.

jett

D-Member
WW should be up for costume and set design awards. I can see a cinematography push as well;. Given how feel-good and popular the film was, they'll push it for major categories. And are:

http://www.warnerbros2017.com/screenings/for-your-consideration/?film=wonderwoman

I'd actually be okay with Pine up for supporting actor as well, TBH.

It might get some technical noms I guess but I doubt it will anything at all.

Depending on Coco's reception LEGO Batman has a damn good shot at the Animated award.

That just goes to show this year has been shit (so far) for animated movies.

Depending on Coco's reception LEGO Batman has a damn good shot at the Animated award.

Lego Batman's probably not even going to be nominated, I'd imagine.

Geostorm is just going to get dumped. WB is having a great year, so I doubt that they will sweat King Arthur and Geostorm much.

They didn't spend anything on King Arthur or Geostorm aside from marketing, so they don't have much to lose if the later flops really bad.

Lego Batman's probably not even going to be nominated, I'd imagine.

What would then? Cars 3, Smurfs, Boss Baby, Emoji Movie, Despicable Me 3, The Nut Job 2, LEGO Ninjago, and My Little Pony sure aren't. The Star and Ferdinand are wild cards. Captain Underpants maybe, and Coco if it's good. What's left, Loving Vincent and The Breadwinner?

Been a bit of a weak year for animation, huh? Can't blame Warner Bros shooting their shot with Lego Batman.

Yeah. I'm not particularly fond of LEGO Batman but there's a strong possibility it'll get nominated. And it's very low stakes for WB to do these 'for your consideration' pleas, so why not try. Seriously, I think LEGO Batman might be the highest rated animated movie so far this year. That's where the bar is. Coco will end up taking it, because it's Disney. But yeah, very weak year.

berzeli

Banned
Boxoffice.com predictions:
Code:
Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween	Lionsgate			$19,000,000	$19,000,000	 NEW
Happy Death Day				Universal			$11,000,000	$42,500,000	-58%
Geostorm				Warner Bros.			$10,500,000	$10,500,000	 NEW
Only the Brave				Sony / Columbia			$9,000,000	$9,000,000	 NEW
Blade Runner 2049			Warner Bros. / Sony / Alcon	$8,900,000	$76,150,000	-43%
The Snowman				Universal			$8,000,000	$8,000,000	 NEW
The Foreigner				STXfilms			$6,650,000	$24,180,000	-49%
IT					Warner Bros. (New Line)		$3,800,000	$320,700,000	-37%
American Made				Universal			$3,400,000	$45,900,000	-38%
The Mountain Between Us			Fox				$3,200,000	$25,900,000	-44%
Same Kind of Different As Me		Pure Flix			$3,100,000	$3,100,000	 NEW

Deadline:
Code:
Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween	$20 million-$25 million
Happy Death Day				$11M-$12M			-55%
Blade Runner 2049 			$8M-$9M. 			-40%-45%
Geostorm				$10M-$12M
The Snowman				$10M
Only the Brave				$6M-$7M
Same Kind of Different as Me 		$3M-$4M

Boxoffice.com predictions:
Code:
Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween	Lionsgate			$19,000,000	$19,000,000	 NEW
Happy Death Day				Universal			$11,000,000	$42,500,000	-58%
Geostorm				Warner Bros.			$10,500,000	$10,500,000	 NEW
Only the Brave				Sony / Columbia			$9,000,000	$9,000,000	 NEW
Blade Runner 2049			Warner Bros. / Sony / Alcon	$8,900,000	$76,150,000	-43%
The Snowman				Universal			$8,000,000	$8,000,000	 NEW
The Foreigner				STXfilms			$6,650,000	$24,180,000	-49%
IT					Warner Bros. (New Line)		$3,800,000	$320,700,000	-37%
American Made				Universal			$3,400,000	$45,900,000	-38%
The Mountain Between Us			Fox				$3,200,000	$25,900,000	-44%
Same Kind of Different As Me		Pure Flix			$3,100,000	$3,100,000	 NEW

Deadline:
Code:
Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween	$20 million-$25 million
Happy Death Day				$11M-$12M			-55%
Blade Runner 2049 			$8M-$9M. 			-40%-45%
Geostorm				$10M-$12M
The Snowman				$10M
Only the Brave				$6M-$7M
Same Kind of Different as Me 		$3M-$4M

Tyler Perry keeps doing what he's doing.

That seems pretty dreadful for Geostorm and Only the Brave, can't imagine their budgets are very low.

Sorcerer

Blade Runner was fucking incredible... What a shame to see how it's doing at the box office.

I blame dumb consumers bereft of anything even remotely resembling an attention span.

Blame it on betting high hopes on a cult classic at best. What audience where they trying to attract after all these years?
Were they hoping Han Solo was going to save it?

berzeli

Banned
Tyler Perry keeps doing what he's doing.

That seems pretty dreadful for Geostorm and Only the Brave, can't imagine their budgets are very low.
Only the Brave is sub $50 million, Deadline has it at $38 million, and Deadline is saying that Sony is only distributing + paid for P&A. Still it is quite low. Anything below $10 million is probably flop levels.

Geostorm on the other hand... yeah it's fucked mate.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Wow, I didn't realize or had forgotten about Blumhouse having made Paranormal Activity; one of, if not my most favorite horror franchise

Blumhouse didn't make Paranormal Activity. The writer/director self-financed it and shot it in his spare time. He was a programmer on Sony's MLB video game series The Show at the time.

kswiston

They didn't spend anything on King Arthur or Geostorm aside from marketing, so they don't have much to lose if the later flops really bad.

Where did you read this? WB was actively (pre)developing King Arthur for several years before the current version, and have co-production credits on both that and Geostorm (unlike Blade Runner).

Busty

Banned

Warners co-financed King Arthur with Village Roadshow but were still on the hook for at least half the budget.

Geostorm was co-financed with SkyDance though I believe that Warners were the minority financier on that one and may only have a relatively small stake in the project.

They were trying to lure SkyDance to the studio lot from Paramount at the time but when the film turned into a money pit SkyDance reupped with the Melrose studio and thus Geostorm is the red headed love child neither of them now want.

Miles X

Only the Brave is sub $50 million, Deadline has it at $38 million, and Deadline is saying that Sony is only distributing + paid for P&A. Still it is quite low. Anything below $10 million is probably flop levels.

Geostorm on the other hand... yeah it's fucked mate.

Geostorm did $9m in some smaller asian markets over the weekend, so internationally it might make it up. Thought I heard the budget was 85 million?! It looks lucky to hit that at this point unless China comes through.

Edit - Woah, BoxofficeMojo have $120m, why?, it was never going to make $200m+

It's going to gross under Into The Storm which made around $47m and $160m ww, but on a $50m production budget.

Warner have some of the strangest budgeting going on ...

jett

D-Member
Hopefully Blade Runner at least manages to outgross Geostorm this weekend.

And also, hopefully this will be the end of casting Gerard Butler in anything.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
fun fact
There is not a single Thurs preview screening of Geostorm in NYC

Going to break some records

Talk about sent to die. But they had the time to do that Geostorm prank in NYC, huh? Lol

Sulik2

I have a moviepass and Geostorm is out. Debating whether its worth spending the time to see it. I love a good bad movie.

Busty

Banned
Geostorm has a running time of 1hr 49min apparently. If this film was 90 minutes dead on I would go and see it without hesitation.

But those extra 19 minutes are a total deal breaker for me.

I also see that WB have Gerard Butler making a half hearted publicity tour of the UK to push this film. Well, it's not as if he was doing anything else.

It’s interesting how Gerard Butler squandered literally all the popularity he got from 300. I remember everyone having posters of him and being obsessed with that movie.

Busty

Banned
The only thing I heard about Geostorm that remotely tempts me to go and see it is the rumour that the scenes from the initial shoot and scenes from the reshoots are easily identifiable because Butler's facial hair changes between the two.

It's interesting how Gerard Butler squandered literally all the popularity he got from 300. I remember everyone having posters of him and being obsessed with that movie.

Agreed. I think Hollywood just didn't know what to do with him. I think he's found his level now making glorified B movies for Millennium and others. The fact he apparently turned down the 'bad guy' role in Wonder Woman however speaks volumes but where he sees himself.

Schlorgan

The only thing I heard about Geostorm that remotely tempts me to go and see it is the rumour that the scenes from the initial shoot and scenes from the reshoots are easily identifiable because Butler's facial hair changes between the two.
So like Fantastic Four and Kate Mara's wig?

WW should be up for costume and set design awards. I can see a cinematography push as well;. Given how feel-good and popular the film was, they'll push it for major categories. And are:

http://www.warnerbros2017.com/screenings/for-your-consideration/?film=wonderwoman

I'd actually be okay with Pine up for supporting actor as well, TBH.

Pine killed it as Trevor and I definitely think Patty deserves a Best Director nod for saving the DCEU single-handedly and wayyyy over-delivering.

It must sting that Flatliners will get closer to breaking even that Bladerunner

This is the world where Trump was elected POTUS.

boxoffice.com gave their long term forecast for TLJ and it's pretty reasonable.

OW = 215MM
Dom LTD = 742MM

I said the same thing some time ago, i.e. TLJ = (TFA + RO)/2 for both OW and Dom LTD.I will go one step further and say that should also be the formula for WW gross, so I would guess

OW = 201MM
LTD = 734MM
WW = 1.56B

Top Bottom