• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

kswiston

Annabelle Creation? All in the franchise (Conjuring) have had first days around $15m same as this, but range from $84m, $102m and $137m totals.

$137M probably won't make the final cut, and Creation is going to come in on the lower side of the franchise as far as opening weekend goes.

Split is currently #15 for the year at $138M. Star Wars, Thor, and Justice League are 100% locked to pass that. Coco is pretty damn close to a lock, since even the Good Dinosaur made $123M, and this has a 20 min Frozen short playing in front of it.

That leaves one more film. There are about a half dozen candidates (including IT) that I could see hitting the mark. We'll also likely get 1-2 breakouts from the award season that no one is going to predict. It wouldn't surprise me if Cars 3 or Apes ends up rounding off the Top 20 this year.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I know living in NYC I get railroaded, but I am curious about how much do you folks pay for movie tickets and premium format if don't mind me asking.

Free, if I don't mind waiting 1-2 months for the campus theater to get it. But ain't nobody got time for that, gotta keep up with the superhero movies.

Cinemark is doing a summer special so recently tickets have been $3-$6 anytime. But usually they're $9.50. My location is IMAX is $14.50.

kswiston

Since Blade Runner was brought up, Boxoffice.com updated their long range forecast list. Their first prediction for Blade Runner 2049 is $44M opening weekend and $115M total.

Marketing campaign. Who made a lot of fuzz over Atomic Blonde? Bronson. So....you could say it fell victim to Bronson. Did he like Apes as well?
That's not what I meant. Both AB and Apes turned out to be different movies than the marketing made it seem like, so that might have hurt WoM.

kswiston

Marketing campaign. Who made a lot of fuzz over Atomic Blonde? Bronson. So....you could say it fell victim to Bronson. Did he like Apes as well?

I remember Bronson saying that he skipped the first two Apes, but that he might have gone to the third.

First two were successful.

I know living in NYC I get railroaded, but I am curious about how much do you folks pay for movie tickets and premium format if don't mind me asking.

90% of the time matinee movie goer, matinee in here in NJ at my local AMC is $5.85, can't beat that price, it tops out at $11 for none 3D, Liemax(iMAX) tops out at $14, Matinee is $9..

PS:3D pricing is like 1 total more..

El Topo

We should use Bronson for the greater good, or better, to make some money.
"You know Sony, nice movie you have there....would be a shame if Bronson ruined its box office run."

Stay AWAY from IT.

OPENING NIGHT
I hate horror movies so naaaaaah

You moved like 10 miles. That gave you plenty of time to kill a franchise.

I still had to pack stuff! AND drive a UHaul! For like 30 miles!

We should use Bronson for the greater good, or better, to make some money.
"You know Sony, nice movie you have there....would be a shame if Bronson ruined its box office run."

My price is quite high and my talents should only be used in certain spots

kswiston

Ben Foster, right?

I still need to check it out.

Jeff Bridges taking that Rooster Cogburn role in True Grit has paid out serious dividends towards his career. He's played that character like 6 times since.

But it works in Hell or High Water. Chris Pine is good in the film too.

Jeff Bridges competed against himself in December 2011 what with Tron: Legacy and True Grit

People realizing he can do Western shit made like 85 of them pop up

border

Is Atomic Blonde doing that badly? I thought it wasn't all that far off from whatever the first John Wick movie did, at least in the US. Granted, it was more expensive.

I can't imagine expectations for it were really through the roof. Focus Features films typically don't go over 50M.......particularly not live action ones.

kswiston

The acting in True Grit was good. Roger Deakins on cinematography never hurts either. I liked it better than the John Wayne version.

True Grit was also surprisingly graphic for PG-13.

DJChuy

Girls Trip is doing very well. I thought the movie was going to suck when I saw the trailer, but it turned out to be pretty good.

I also enjoyed Atomic Blonde. It had less action than what I was expecting, but it was still pretty enjoyable. The staircase scene did was pretty cool.

Kind of interested in Ingrid Goes West. Looks interesting and the Alamo Drafthouse is the only theater in my city marketing it. Won't come out until next week.

Top Bottom