• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

kswiston

He somehow looks even more boss with that badass half grey beard. God damn this man is my hero.
That feeling when you are not even good enough for Canada though.

The CFL is mostly rejected NFL hopefuls. It's technically our second most popular pro league after hockey, but that's like saying that the Vita was the second most popular handheld last gen.

kswiston

Wolf Warrior 2 is up to around $620M in China now. It will pass Avengers, Jurassic World and Titanic's domestic gross on Sat or Sun to become the 3rd largest single territory gross of all time.

Avatar will fall in the next week. The film is finally starting to lose some steam though, so The Force Awakens' record is probably safe.

kswiston

Deadline is saying $16-17M on Friday for Annabelle Creation (including the $4M Thurs preview). Thst would be a bit higher than the first Annabelle, and in line with the two Conjuring films.

#2 is a toss up between Dunkirk and the Nut Job. Deadline has both at $9-10M for the weekend, bit that doesnt say much without a Friday number. They are routinely off by 20% at this point.

The Dark Tower looks to receive a 60%+ drop this weekend, and might be beaten by Girls Trip.

kswiston

If we expand the definition of horror as loosly as possible, I Am Legend has the higest opening at $77M.

Using the more traditional definition, it would be Paranormal Activity 3 at $52.5M.

I guess those, along with the R-Rated and overall weekend record for September, make up the comparison milestones for IT.

It was all anyone talked about before release, Internet and daily conversation.
It is the reason the majority of the people were there at the midnight release I was at as well.

Anecdotal evidence isn't good evidence. I'm not saying it didn't play any part, but like I said there's no way for you to quantify how big an impact, yet alone claiming the impact was Massive specifically with one of the biggest box office stars in an appealing highly rated big budget blockbuster post apocalyptic horror film in 2007.

I'm pretty sure The Dark Knight prologue played only in IMAX theaters and according to Box Office Mojo

I Am Legend drew $77.2 million on approximately 6,400 screens at 3,606 theaters, about $3.4 million of which coming from 77 IMAX screens.

El Topo

Even if we assume that the TDK buzz somehow could have helped IAL (despite apparently being IMAX-only), the movie still grossed $330m outside the US without any such help.

Anecdotal evidence isn't good evidence. I'm not saying it didn't play any part, but like I said there's no way for you to quantify how big an impact, yet alone claiming the impact was Massive specifically with one of the biggest box office stars in an appealing highly rated big budget blockbuster post apocalyptic horror film in 2007.

Massive was an overstatement but it was a big deal.

I'm pretty sure The Dark Knight prologue played only in IMAX theaters and according to Box Office Mojo
LieMax screens had it as well, some things say it was only IMAX but my theater certainly wasn't.

kswiston

Massive was an overstatement but it was a big deal.

LieMax screens had it as well, some things say it was only IMAX but my theater certainly wasn't.

LieMax = IMAX.

IMAX never differentiates between their screens capable of the full 70mm format and all the lesser screens with the branding.

kmfdmpig

I said god damn. Shots fired.

I actually like a lot of what Besson's done. Fifth Element is such a fun ride, and the Professional is great (although reading that he wanted to add a more blatant love story between the two characters makes it a bit harder to stomach). What irked me is that his quote is so heavy-handed with moral superiority - from someone who has absolutely no business talking about what people should feel ashamed about.

Shauni

I just don't get these Annabelle movies

Nothing to really get. It's just a standard haunted house feature just with a doll as a centerpiece for the demon instead of the location.

The first Annabelle was pretty mediocre, but this one is solid. Wasn't what I was expecting based on the trailers at all, though.

kswiston

It sounds like he thinks superhero movies are juvenile and for children. I'm surprised he doesn't go to those in the theater as often as he can looking for his next wife.

The largest demographic for Annabelle is women under 25, followed by men over 25. I guess that is pretty common for the genre. The Besson special.

Busty

Banned
I guess Sony has nothing else, but really aggressive with their Spidey-verse

Venom is slotted for Oct 2018
Animated Spidey is Dec 2018

And just dated Silver and Black (Silver Sable/Black Cat) for Feb 2019

https://t.co/1FomX3XEjv

I honestly don't know what to make of all this. Sony don't have an interesting director on Silver/Black so unless they cast big names in the two leads I don't see how they are going to drum up any interesting in these characters even with the core Marvel audience.

I have a feeling that Sony could be looking to low ball all of these films and use the Walmart approach of just flooding the market to try and make an impact.

Just like they did with Dark Tower they'll try and bring these spin-offs in for $60-75m looking for a solid return while hoping for a Deadpool style break out among one of them.

tonka

Will we get notice when baby driver hits 100,000,000 or will it go unrecognised until Sunday? I am pleased that it has done well.
Any revised predictions for kingsman for that September record?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm catching up on movies over the past couple of weeks. Saw Baby Driver a couple of weeks ago, Dunkirk last week and maybe Atomic Blonde this weekend or Monday.

How's the projections for Logan Lucky? I so want to see that one do well.

I'm catching up on movies over the past couple of weeks. Saw Baby Driver a couple of weeks ago, Dunkirk last week and maybe Atomic Blonde this weekend or Monday.

How's the projections for Logan Lucky? I so want to see that one do well.

Logan Lucky is the one to root for this entire summer tbh. Cuz Soderbergh brought a new approach and forgoed studios to make it, if it does really well it kind of changes the game in a way

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...y-can-bring-back-the-mid-budget-movie/535557/

Lima

Logan Lucky is the one to root for this entire summer tbh. Cuz Soderbergh brought a new approach and forgoed studios to make it, if it does really well it kind of changes the game in a way

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...y-can-bring-back-the-mid-budget-movie/535557/

I'm also excited to see Craig in a role that's not James Bond again. He didn't do anything outside the franchise in between skyfall and spectre I think which is a damn shame because the guy is a good actor and starred in some fine movies. Judging by the trailers for Logan lucky this role seems incredibly fun. And then Tatum and Driver on top.

Top Bottom