• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 02•19-21•16 - Two godmen, a mermaid, and a pizza place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

DliStar.jpg
qnQVZ7s.jpg
KSyM51i.jpg
X2lgXXb.jpg
8Jgh4Xw.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
83% Deadpool
9wcOG.gif
82% Kung Fu Panda 3
8mB0Q.gif
59% Risen
8vteV.gif
88% The Witch
5f4ew.gif
47% How to Be Single
CBq5r.gif
60% Race (2016)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
n/a The Mermaid (Mei ren yu)

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Deadpool’ Dominates ‘The Witch,’ ‘Risen’

“Deadpool” dominated the box office for a second consecutive weekend, racking up $55 million.

That’s roughly what Fox, the studio behind the $58 million comic book adaptation, had predicted that the film would open to a week ago. Of course, it shattered those projections, destroying February records with a $152.2 million President’s Weekend launch.

After two weeks, “Deadpool” has now earned $235.4 million domestically, re-established Ryan Reynolds as a major Hollywood star, and created a new superhero franchise to rival the likes of Iron Man and the X-Men. The picture, a very R-rated affair, centers on a mercenary with accelerated healing abilities and a penchant for bawdy humor.

“It’s one of those times where a movie becomes a touchstone in culture,” said Chris Aronson, Fox’s domestic distribution chief. “It just becomes part of the zeitgeist and one of those movies you just have to see. That’s due to its uniqueness. People have never seen anything like this before.”

A few, brave new releases tried to ride out “Deadpool” mania. “Risen,” a faith-based drama about a soldier investigating the death and resurrection of Jesus, fared best, pulling in more than $11 million from 2,915 locations to snag third place. Sony’s Affirm label produced the picture for $20 million, and courted church leaders with the hopes of producing another “War Room” or “Heaven is for Real,” two films that turned out Christian moviegoers in droves.

“The Witch,” a critically acclaimed look at a Puritan family torn apart by supernatural terrors, debuted to $8.7 million from 2,046 theaters for a fourth place finish. The picture is the widest debut in the history of A24, the indie label behind “Ex Machina” and “Room,” and its biggest ever premiere.

The roll-out marked a change in plans. A24 acquired “The Witch” out of the 2015 Sundance Film Festival with DirecTV for roughly $1 million, and planned a multi-platform release that would match a limited theatrical debut with a speedy on-demand launch, but the studio rethought that idea after screening the picture. Going forward, “The Witch” may have some problems with word-of-mouth. Consumers handed the picture a C-minus CinemaScore rating.

Then there’s “Race,” a Focus Features biopic about Olympian Jesse Owens’ Gold Medal-winning triumph at 1936 Berlin games. The film struggled to hit its stride, earning $7.3 million from 2,369 locations. Focus, which recently underwent a major overhaul that saw its former CEO Peter Schlessel ousted in favor of Peter Kujawski, bought domestic rights to the film for $5 million. As part of the reshuffling, the indie label is being tasked with making more prestige fare, along the lines of “Race.” Although the sports drama didn’t exactly set the world on fire, the company’s financial exposure is relatively minimal and it believes that strong exit scores will keep it in theaters over the coming weeks.

Holdover, “Kung Fu Panda 3” captured second place on the charts, sliding in behind “Deadpool” with $12.5 million. The animated sequel has earned $117.1 million since debuting at the end of January.

Romantic comedy “How to Be Single” rounded out the top five with $8.2 million, pushing its domestic total to $31.8 million.

In limited release, “Mermaid,” a Chinese fantasy comedy that has become the country’s highest-grossing film, bowed to $1 million in 37 theaters. That’s a sizable per-screen average of $27,000. Sony, which is handling the domestic release, will broaden the films footprint by roughly 60 theaters next week.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Star Wars still hanging out in that top ten. Probably gonna close somewhere around 930-935 mil domestic.

Look at that Mermaid average!

Deadpool almost made its production budget this weekend.

border

That's a pretty obscure reference for the thread title. Did that show ever release on DVD?

I really don't care for Ben Stiller and I actively dislike Owen Wilson, but man even I am starting to feel sorry for Zoolander 2. I can't believe it's getting clowned by How To Be Single.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
A few months ago, I thought Deadpool getting $55 Million in its first weekend was being realistic. And here we are and it made that in Week 2. Wow.

Surprised we didn't get more Rom Coms this month. Was How to be Single really the only big one?

I could see Star Wars getting a second run before the new movie comes out.

Nah. That sense of exclusivity needed to drive audiences to theaters for something like that is pretty much toasted now. There's a Star Wars movie a year coming out, super-crowded slates when those yearly movies aren't scheduled, and home video is in a place where 42-50" 1080p displays are the norm, so people don't necessarily need to head out to the theater to watch something they already own and watch in hi-def with multichannel surround.

There's probably gonna be another one of those marathon things before Episode 8 as a special screening, but I doubt they re-release Force Awakens into theaters on a large scale at any point in the next 5-6 years.

Basically, it only makes sense to re-release it after a significant enough stretch of time where seeing it in a theater is a novelty again.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Whooo Deadpool!

What was Zoolander 2's budget? With marketing it would be 50+ mil right? They aren't making that shit back.

I think people thought crossing 300 mil worldwide was a possibility.

But nobody saw this shit coming.

Sony has a good thing going with their faith label. I heard Risen is actually a bit of a procedural, which gives it a novelty that most films of its ilk lacks.

Yeah, it's basically a detective flick, from what I understand. Kinda like The Eagle from a couple years back? Which wasn't very good. But that movie didn't have Jesus as a character, either.

GhaleonEB

*spits out water*

The Witch has an 88% rating?!
I'm so glad it got a decent release. It will crater from theaters because people expected straight horror and got period drama with horror, but it was one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

Anyone know it's production budget? I know A24 acquired it for $1m but I'm not sure what it was made for.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

GhaleonEB

Thanks! Looks like a successful run given the budget.

Isn't that kinda what happened with Crimson Peak, too?

Yeah. I think that film was kind of internally confused about what it was, but the marketing sold it as straight horror when it definately wasn't. The Witch takes that further with authentic 1630 dialog and accents, which seems to have turned off a lot of people who didn't know what they were getting into.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
A24 didn't spend $55 million for that privilege!

Anyway, eyes now turn to next weekend and the first big bomb of the year. It's no longer a question if Gods of Egypt will flop: it's now a matter of how much.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I need to watch more A24 films. I wasn't able to see the Witch this weekend because I was too busy hanging with some friends. They made Ex Machina, right?

Mimosa97

Thanks! Looks like a successful run given the budget.

Yeah. I think that film was kind of internally confused about what it was, but the marketing sold it as straight horror when it definately wasn't. The Witch takes that further with authentic 1630 dialog and accents, which seems to have turned off a lot of people who didn't know what they were getting into.

Wot ? :(

I was going to take a date to watch The Witch tonight but now I know I won't understand the dialogues. I need english subtitles :(

But again I watched the revenant 3 days ago and I got every bit of dialogue while my friend (also french) couldn't understand what Fitzgerald was saying lol

Gods Not Dead 2 making 50 million OW?

I said I'm not really surprised, but kinda surprised.

Mostly because the marketing wasn't all that good. Not because the christian audience is to be underestimated. That's the "not really surprised" part. Probably shoulda made that clearer, sorry.

mreddie

I said I'm not really surprised, but kinda surprised.

Mostly because the marketing wasn't all that good. Not because the christian audience is to be underestimated. That's the "not really surprised" part. Probably shoulda made that clearer, sorry.

So 65 OW then?

I think it's more shocking faith based movies have made a comeback.

Verendus

Banned
Can Deadpool get to $300M?
It certainly will.

There's a chance Deadpool is going to be the highest domestic grossing superhero barring Batman, Iron Man, and Raimi Spider-Man. That's incredible really. I'm excluding Captain America and Superman since Iron Man/Batman carry jobs don't count.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ryan Reynolds must feel like a fucking rock star right now. Good for him, he earned this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom