• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 02•19-21•16 - Two godmen, a mermaid, and a pizza place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i'm overrating Civil War, rather than you guys underrating it?

<$400 million seems low to me.

I think it will beat everything except maybe Rogue One this year.

squall23

Summer box office predicts? Okay...

Finding Dory - 418M
Captain America: Civil War - 414M
Suicide Squad - 398M
The Secret Life of Pets - 279M
Independence Day Resurgence - 74M/245M
Jason Bourne - 230M
Star Trek Beyond - 183M
Ghostbusters - 180M
X-Men: Apocalypse - 168M
The BFG - 161M
Alice Through the Looking Glass - 148M
Central Intelligence - 144M
Neighbors 2 - 123M
Warcraft - 117M

That's what I'm feeling right now.

Deadpool's doing sweet by the way. Zoolander 2 deserves to bomb. Might catch Risen over Spring Break tbh.
Wait, the new movie is just going to be called Jason Bourne? It's not going to be another "The Bourne __________"?

I liked those titles.

JdFoX187

Banned
Lawrence is almost certainly gone. McAvoy and Fassbender have said they're open to continuing, and the plan is pretty obviously to keep McAvoy, at a minimum, with the newbie X-Men (whether or not Magneto comes back is something you can easily write around, since he's not an X-Man).

I wouldn't be surprised if both McAvoy and Fassbender re-sign for another few movies -- at least to ensure the new group of kids can hold their own. They both enjoy making the films and are good friends.

Sean C

Avengers: Age of Ultron made $460 million domestic last summer, though its reception was somewhat middling compared to the previous film in the series. Civil War is basically being marketed as an unofficial Avengers film, so I think, account for a bit of bleed-off for the lack of the name (and Thor and the Hulk), around $400 million is a solid place to peg it for now.

Star Wars still hanging out in that top ten. Probably gonna close somewhere around 930-935 mil domestic.

Nah, higher for sure. For comparison's sake, Jurassic World still had ~$15 million left in it at this point (66 days) and Star Wars is currently clearing 2-3 times as much daily (and sometimes more) when release-aligned. $935 should be the absolute minimum, with mid-$940's being a pretty safe bet methinks. Upper bound in the mid-$950's. Personally I just want to see $948.5 so that it can edge out Snow White for #10 all-time adjusted for inflation. That would be crazy.

So fucking close to $1b domestic. I wonder how long it will be until something finally does it and what it will be. No way is VIII hitting TFA numbers, even if it's universally considered to be better, and I doubt Avatar 2 could touch even Avatar's domestic haul.

Edit: Shit, I forgot to take into account Jurassic World's minor reissue push near the end. Still, even then I'm thinking it should clear $935m.

Verendus

Banned
utFOus9.gif
After some consideration, I think it's time we put your ass where your mouth is. Let's do a twerk bet Chamber. I have to make you pay for your confidence.

If Apocalypse grosses higher than Days domestically, you need to show your twerking skills to us all. If not, then naturally I shall have to put up a video or suffer the punishment for dishonouring the gamble.

What say you?

guek

Banned

I think CW is genuinely a tough call to make. It's not an Avengers movie but it's got the cast of one. But the last Avengers film underperformed relative to expectations and Winter Soldier only made $260M DOM. I'm expecting right around $400M +/-$15M but I'm not too confident with that either.

Verendus

Banned
I think CW is genuinely a tough call to make. It's not an Avengers movie but it's got the cast of one. But the last Avengers film underperformed relative to expectations and Winter Soldier only made $260M DOM. I'm expecting right around $400M +/-$15M but I'm not too confident with that either.
You people lack faith in Iron Man. He's all over the marketing so he should be able to get it into the high 300s at least. Balee in Tony Stark, even if I want Mr. Rogers to beat him up.

Just saw Deadpool and don't see why its getting so much love. It wasn't the worst superhero movie, certainly not the best. I just wasn't feeling it.

Aside from his powers-origin story, it's pretty much a laugh-a-minute comedy that never takes itself too seriously.

The R-rated action scenes were mostly icing, and they were rather well done considering the budget.

Mulgrok

Wait, the new movie is just going to be called Jason Bourne? It's not going to be another "The Bourne __________"?

I liked those titles.

The others used titles from the Bourne series of books. They have to make up new titles because there were only a few books.

The Beard

Im happy for Ryan Reynolds, it's nice to see him star in a big blockbuster. Dude is too charming and talented to keep appearing in shit movies.

I'm looking forward to seeing how hard 'Gods of Egypt' bombs.

The trailers couldn't be less exciting if they tried. It's just B and C list actors talking in front of a green screen. Fucking yawn-fest.

Exodust

Banned
It's amazing to me that Deadpool, the character who got fucked over the most in the X-Men film franchise in Origins, is wrecking the box office with an R-rating to boot. It's been fun to watch, especially for an X-Men fan who doesn't like the X movies sans First Class.

farisr

I'm looking forward to seeing how hard 'Gods of Egypt' bombs.

The trailers couldn't be less exciting if they tried. It's just B and C list actors talking in front of a green screen. Fucking yawn-fest.
I don't know... the trailer seemed to show off an interesting concept that could attract an audience.

godofegypt6hjdf.gif

I think one thing a lot of people are missing is that Deadpool had a sub-60 million budget.

It's outperforming movies in the same genre that cost three to nearly four times more while also being rated R. Madness.

liquidtmd

Banned
I think one thing a lot of people are missing is that Deadpool had a sub-60 million budget.

It's outperforming movies in the same genre that cost three to nearly four times more while also being rated R. Madness.

I love that the trimming of the budget before filiming lead to the forgetting of the guns scene.

Goes to show, necessity is the mother of invention.

Exodust

Banned
I've kinda been hoping for an "R-rated resurgence", so to speak. Let's hope Deadpool overperforming, Mad Max getting much love from critics, and Kingsman being popular open the door for more stuff in the future.

Don't let Dredd die in vain.

So happy for deadpool.

When I found out about Zoolander having a sequel, I wondered: who asked for this? Thankfully, the answer is: VERY few people.

So happy for deadpool.

When I found out about Zoolander having a sequel, I wondered: who asked for this? Thankfully, the answer is: VERY few people.

A lot of people wanted a sequel.....................15 years ago. They took too long and the interest diminished not to mention the movie is just bad all around.

Abounder

Banned
would they be able to lure RDJ under the guise of 'passion project'? Because I don't think they could afford him otherwise.

I think it's more up to Tom Cruise, last I read there was a script made for his Tropic Thunder character back in 2011. But yea it's probably more pipedream than passion project

The Beard

A lot of people wanted a sequel.....................15 years ago. They took too long and the interest diminished not to mention the movie is just bad all around.

I thought the first one was great, but it was great in a way that is really difficult to recreate. Same with 'Dumb and Dumber' and 'Anchorman'. None of these 3 movies had any business getting a sequel. They stand on their own perfectly, and the sequels were completely unnecessary and added nothing (except another paycheck for the actors).

Bulzeeb

I still find it kinda funny that Zootopia hasn't been released in the U.S, I am used to see Disney movies between 2 or 6 weeks late

kswiston

This is crazy. Any idea what the expected final numbers will be like?

The Mermaid is now sitting at around $440M in China after making an estimated $8.3M today. The film should be around $475M by the end of the week. Chinese box office can cool down quickly for a particular film as newer films launch, but I don't see how the Mermaid misses $500M.

Nokterian

Ryan Reynolds must feel like a fucking rock star right now. Good for him, he earned this one.

He must be grinning from ear to ear just knowing that this movie has vindicated him in his pursuit of making a Deadpool movie. The people at Fox much feel like idiots for not green lighting this movie sooner.

WrBmaSe.png

vDNISGy.png

The number one X-Men movie domestically and number two worldwide. An R-Rated X-Men movie staring Deadpool that only cost 50+ million to produce. This movie is already changing the comic book movie landscape.

Very happy for ryan my guess he is doing it everytime he walks into fox "told ya so!" out loud.

Looks like Deadpool should pass half-a-billion worldwide today, its 10th day of release.

Also: Looking at Force Awakens worldwide numbers, the only other movies to rank in the top 25 with less than 60% of the total being international:

#5) The Avengers, 59%
#16) The Dark Knight RIses, 58%
#21) The Phantom Menace, 53%
#25) The Dark Knight, 46.8%

Force Awakens is #3, with 54% of that coming from international. Everything else has international counting for at least 60% or more of their worldwide total, with most of the top 25 settling somewhere in the 65-75% range.

kswiston

Boxoffice.com's final weekend prediction for Gods of Egypt is $10.5M. Obviously, Deadpool is expected to threepeat.

Looks like Deadpool should pass half-a-billion worldwide today, its 10th day of release.

Also: Looking at Force Awakens worldwide numbers, the only other movies to rank in the top 25 with less than 60% of the total being international:

#5) The Avengers, 59%
#16) The Dark Knight RIses, 58%
#21) The Phantom Menace, 53%
#25) The Dark Knight, 46.8%

Force Awakens is #3, with 54% of that coming from international. Everything else has international counting for at least 60% or more of their worldwide total, with most of the top 25 settling somewhere in the 65-75% range.

The Dark Knight is getting bumped off that list this year. I think it will be the last film to ever appear on the WW top 25 without taking at least 50% of its gross overseas. The cut off is just getting to be too high for domestic to pick up the slack.

I don't think we have 5 movies with the potential to break $1B worldwide this year to boot TPM, but by the summer of 2017, we might be looking at a Top 25 where The Force Awakens is the most domestic skewed title on there. I guess it will depend on how Rogue One does, but I would imagine that it will end up doing proportionally overseas (assuming it hits $1B). If only because of China.

Sulik2

If we are making domestic gross predictions, I think the box office is going to explode this year in an unprecedented way.

Rogue One: 650M
Civil War: 500M (That spider-man bump)
ID4: 400M
B vs. Superman: 350M
Suicide Squade: 300M
The Secret Life of Pets: 300M
Dr. Strange: 225M
Apocalypse: 220M
Star Trek: 200M
Warcraft: 115M (big overseas though)

Bombas:
Jungle Book
Egyptian Game of Thrones Movie
Ghostbusters

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
20 minutes ago I had no idea "The Mermaid" existed, but now after some googling and messaging between the girlfriend and I, it looks like we have movie plans tonight.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Deadpool - $8.95M - $263M total
2) Gods of Egypt - $4.8M
3) Triple 9 - $2.1M
4) Kung Fu Panda 3 - $2.0M - $121M total
5) Risen - $1.9M - $18M total
6) Eddie the Eagle - $1.9M
7) How to be Single - $1.6M - $36M total
8) The Witch - $1.5M - $13M total
9) Race - $1.2M - $11M total
10) The Revenant - $970k - $168M total

Shitty weekend as was expected.

Deadpool dropped 45% on Friday which isn't too bad. It should be over $280M by Sunday, which puts it on track to cross $300M next weekend.

Gods of Egypt will be the only new release to cross $10M, and I am expecting $11-12M out of it after this start. Less than 10% of its production budget.

mreddie

Friday Studio Estimates:

2) Gods of Egypt - $4.8M
3) Triple 9 - $2.1M

Deadpool dropped 45% on Friday which isn't too bad. It should be over $280M by Sunday, which puts it on track to cross $300M next weekend.

Gods of Egypt will be the only new release to cross $10M, and I am expecting $11-12M out of it after this start.

giphy.gif

Friday Studio Estimates:

2) Gods of Egypt - $4.8M
3) Triple 9 - $2.1M

Gods of Egypt will be the only new release to cross $10M, and I am expecting $11-12M out of it after this start. Less than 10% of its production budget.

Star Wars out of the top 10, though guess it may edge past revenant with sat/sun

Friday Studio Estimates:

2) Gods of Egypt - $4.8M
3) Triple 9 - $2.1M

And the movie news sites were saying gods of Egypt just had to make $15 million opening weekend to prevent from being a bomba.

Lol.

kswiston

Star Wars out of the top 10, though guess it may edge past revenant with sat/sun

The Revenant was ahead by almost $300k on Friday, so I don't think that will end up happening. The Revenant should have strong Saturday business as people try to catch the film ahead of the Oscars on Sunday. I expect Star Wars to be ahead on Sunday, but not by enough to make a difference.

mcfrank

The Revenant was ahead by almost $300k on Friday, so I don't think that will end up happening. The Revenant should have strong Saturday business as people try to catch the film ahead of the Oscars on Sunday. I expect Star Wars to be ahead on Sunday, but not by enough to make a difference.

Yeah, I am seeing it with 4 people before the Oscars.

kswiston

The Mermaid is now past $470M in China.

Kung Fu Panda 3 is at $147M and should at least pass the $150M mark.

EDIT: The Mermaid sort of puts Star Wars' popularity in China into perspective. The film will end up grossing about 4x as much as Star Wars (which is already #5 for the year after two months, and has no shot at remaining in the top 10 for 2016).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom