• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woke up this morning with over $100 charged to my Xbox live account, am I fucked?

RdN

Call MS.. As someone already said in this thread.. their fraud and hacking support is better than you would expect.

So I did wind up calling MS, they're locking down my account for a week. Not a big deal.

Yeah, I probably didn't need to make a GAF thread but it was 6 in the morning when I found out about this and it was my first impulse.

Apparently this happens a lot with FIFA and other sports games because you can spend points on in-game items? That's why my points balance was zero and no games or anything were bought.

WyndhamPrice said:
Apparently this happens a lot with FIFA and other sports games because you can spend points on in-game items? That's why my points balance was zero and no games or anything were bought.

Kids and their craving for high-ranked players card.

You have no idea how many fishing messages I get playing fifa ultimate team xD

There's also a pretty robust market for in-game points sold right on ebay, which fuels and is fueled by this kind of fraud.

Boss Man

WyndhamPrice said:
So I did wind up calling MS, they're locking down my account for a week. Not a big deal.

Yeah, I probably didn't need to make a GAF thread but it was 6 in the morning when I found out about this and it was my first impulse.

lol, I suppose that's the answer they gave you?

styl3s

This is why i only use pre-paid visa cards and MS point/psn $ cards.

Someone tried to do a bunch of transactions on my xbox about 2 years ago and my bank didnt allow any of those transactions till i confirmed them, <3 BB&T.

I don't know about other banks/CC but you can set it where if it's being charged out of city/state etc. they will have to confirm it with you before going through, regardless i never put it online, it's safer to just buy pre-paid cards.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey dude.

It seems you are one of those accounts used to sell those 10.000 mspoints accounts for 25 bucks on ebay or something.

AFAIK, they didn't do it through your xbox, they did it through Virus on your machine. Through Games for Windows Live, they can figure out your password (or if you ever logged on the XBox Marketplace through your web browser) and then purchase the items and transfer to another account, which they will then sell for people to redeem and use the points.

They even say things like "these points will last only for 24 hours, so use the points quickly, as the games won't be deleted".

Call Microsoft.

nli10

@Xboxsupport on Twitter are up a lot of the day and give you the fastest answer.

Your CC company should be able to help.

And yeah - I fire points to my family all the time using the family account. IF you got the upgrade then be sure to downgrade if you don't want it or autorenew will cost you twice as much.

Might want to look at the game history for your acct. while the facility is active to see if you can see the history?

styl3s said:
This is why i only use pre-paid visa cards and MS point/psn $ cards.

They have my cc details and I can't have that info removed from their system.

My only concern is what happens when my card expires. Do they start bullying you into putting a valid card on their system?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
WyndhamPrice said:

There is mad phishing on FIFA. Shit is crazy.

Sol.. said:
There is mad phishing on FIFA. Shit is crazy.

Yeah, but it is so dumb no one should ever fall for it.

I mean "get free shit on this site", "free 1billion ms points", private messages sent from accounts named "fifa team", "EA MODERATOR" and whatnot.

garath

CadetMahoney said:
They have my cc details and I can't have that info removed from their system.

My only concern is what happens when my card expires. Do they start bullying you into putting a valid card on their system?

You can get the cc number removed, you just have to call and jump through a few hoops to get it done.

Top Bottom