• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – Strawberry Milkshake Gameplay

Absolutely hyped, I LOVE how the main character doesn't talk, it really adds to the immersion and make him a lot more relatable.

It really annoys me that the sound effect for the milkshake drinking sounds as if the glass was almost empty already.

Yeah, it's so stupid, why not just some gulping sounds?

RRockman

Banned
Absolutely hyped, I LOVE how the main character doesn't talk, it really adds to the immersion and make him a lot more relatable.

Yeah, it's so stupid, why not just some gulping sounds?

Because it's supposed to annoy you. And BJ does talk, he just doesn't talk to nazis.

Oh and he is of Polish decent and I'm pretty sure his design was ironic on purpose since wolf 3d.

120v

looks good. hope idtech doesn't get all screwy with my PC on this game, i have the worst luck with that engine

Massicot

looks good. hope idtech doesn't get all screwy with my PC on this game, i have the worst luck with that engine

Even idtech 6? 5 had its share of issues, but DOOM ran really well for me and what I played of this seemed like a similar bump up. It looks and runs much better than the first game.

Mifec

Pretty sure it's idtech6 so the PC version will be the best one. I wouldn't worry about issues if DOOM is anything to go by.

If you're talking about just this game, I think he's supposed to resemble his Wolf 3D appearance. I look at his face and I see it. The chin, blue eyes, blonde hair. That or I assume they did it so he can easily blend in with the world around him and not be questioned about his ethnicity.

200_s.gif

Blazko.png

Hasn't BJ been a spy since the very first Wolfenstein 3D game?

That being the case, would make his appearance make sense as you say.

Raptomex

His mom was a Polish Jew. So yeah, he's Jewish.
And there you have it.
Hasn't BJ been a spy since the very first Wolfenstein 3D game?

That being the case, would make his appearance make sense as you say.
I guess so. Though, for a spy, he's not always great at secretly collecting information. A lot of firefights. Unless we're talking about what he did to get into the Castle before the events of the game.

120v

Even idtech 6? 5 had its share of issues, but DOOM ran really well for me and what I played of this seemed like a similar bump up. It looks and runs much better than the first game.

yeah even doom... black screen at launch since i installed a 1080 ti. did tons of troubleshooting and every other game works fine

maybe it's just some anamoly but like i said i have the worst luck with idtech games. had to do some workaround with gpu-z to get wolfenstein running, and that was after weeks of trying random stuff

Wolfenstein New Order didn't have enough balls-out shooting sections and I doubt this will be much different, though I hope it is.

This barely interactive 5-minute cutscene isn't exactly taking away those concerns.

Wolfenstein New Order didn't have enough balls-out shooting sections and I doubt this will be much different, though I hope it is.

This barely interactive 5-minute cutscene isn't exactly taking away those concerns.
Well yeah, the developers make narrative-heavy games. If you're looking for Doom, you'll be disappointed.

Raptomex

Well yeah, the developers make narrative-heavy games. If you're looking for Doom, you'll be disappointed.
I wouldn't be against an arcade mode in the style of Doom or something similar. Although, if they implement a mode like that, I want the option to skip cut scenes and any sequences that don't involve combat. The challenge mode or whatever it was called in TOB was cool, I just wish they didn't reuse campaign areas.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I wouldn't be against an arcade mode in the style of Doom or something similar. Although, if they implement a mode like that, I want the option to skip cut scenes and any sequences that don't involve combat. The challenge mode or whatever it was called in TOB was cool, I just wish they didn't reuse campaign areas.
I'd like it if one way to skip that scene would be to just shoot the Milkshake Nazi while he's still drinking.

This is exactly how I feel and, yet...

...this is what I've resigned myself to.

Of course it's going to follow a similar design to the first which means about 40% shooting/exploring/navigating, 40% scripted/narrative sections, 20% cut scenes. I'll buy it after a price drop for the pure gameplay segments because they were fucking killer in TNO, but I just really am not interested in video game stories at this point in time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Should run on the same engine as DOOM, which was a huge improvement over the engine used in Rage/TNO

Stygr

Banned
1080p and 60 fps powered by IdTech 6, this is gonna be so fucking awesome.
Thanks Bethesda and MachineGames.

OrangeOak

Edit: Whatever, I am stupid

It looks very good though. I really liked TNO, especially second time and I am enjoying Old Blood.

As someone who just finished TNO and was blown away by the quality of...well...everything there, I'm over the moon hyped for.this one.

Hate that it is same day as Mario.

Sorry, I meant he doesn't sound very German when he speaks English. The actual German speech convinces me just fine.

The voice actor is definitely a native speaker or extremely close to native speaker proficiency in the bits where he speaks German (or High German to be more accurate), so his accent when he speaks English is definitely much more representive of how many Germans sound when speaking English compared to the overacted "SCHWEINHUNDEN", 'zank you zery much" or "Ve hav seen ze futAR!" we usually get from the vast majority of "German" voiceacting in games. It goes without saying that those sort of performances are a dead giveaway for an actual German speaker that it's actually non-native speakers (usually American VA's) going for the usual clichee Hollywood-German (a good example being e.g. Vahlen from Xcom Enemy Unknown).

Also consider that German 'accents" vary wildly, many people have zero issues speaking e.g. proper British/American English while others sound more stereotypical and do e.g. spell 'th' as 's'. People from the U.S. often seem to think that I'm British even though I've been born and living in Krautland for most of my life. T

Wolfenstein:TNO already had excellent German voice acting in the English dub and it's quite exceptional that they hired a diverse cast of actual Germans to voice the lines compared to the rest of the industry, including stand-outs such as actors with Austrian dialects. I doubt things changed for the sequel.

'Tl;dr': The new Wolfenstein games have more authentic "Germans speaking English" than 95% of other videogames featuring 'Germans'. Playing through the original version of the games is a great experience for German native speakers IMO.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The milkshake making an almost empty bubbling sound as soon as nazi guy starts drinking it bothers me to no end. I think I remember MGS4 having a similar issue with full or nearly full cans of soda making ridiculous sloshing sounds.

Edit: I didn't realize this had been mentioned already, lol. My good fellow!

The challenge map mode in TOB was fun, so I'd love just more of that. I don't mind replaying the campaign areas, but it'd be rad to have new arenas.

TheDanger

Banned
Huh, you mean his English lines? People in (especially long-term) language contact situations adjust their accent faster than you'd think

save for Schwarzenegger, I'm Austrian too I can't fathom how is accent is still that heavy. Maybe it's on purpose.

The voice actor is definitely a native speaker or extremely close to native speaker proficiency in the bits where he speaks German (or High German to be more accurate), so his accent when he speaks English is definitely much more representive of how many Germans sound when speaking English compared to the overacted "SCHWEINHUNDEN", 'zank you zery much" or "Ve hav seen ze futAR!" we usually get from the vast majority of "German" voiceacting in games. It goes without saying that those sort of performances are a dead giveaway for an actual German speaker that it's actually non-native speakers (usually American VA's) going for the usual clichee Hollywood-German (a good example being e.g. Vahlen from Xcom Enemy Unknown).

Also consider that German 'accents" vary wildly, many people have zero issues speaking e.g. proper British/American English while others sound more stereotypical and do e.g. spell 'th' as 's'. People from the U.S. often seem to think that I'm British even though I've been born and living in Krautland for most of my life. T

Wolfenstein:TNO already had excellent German voice acting in the English dub and it's quite exceptional that they hired a diverse cast of actual Germans to voice the lines compared to the rest of the industry, including stand-outs such as actors with Austrian dialects. I doubt things changed for the sequel.

'Tl;dr': The new Wolfenstein games have more authentic "Germans speaking English" than 95% of other videogames featuring 'Germans'. Playing through the original version of the games is a great experience for German native speakers IMO.

Lucie Pohl (Mercy's VA from OW) talked about how when she auditioned she went from the really exagerrated German voice (she's a German-American Jew) but settled on the more subtle and realistic stuff. It might sound weird to sound people but I guess we get used to one stereotype of a sort

Pilgrimzero

German version won't have nazis though (IIRC the enemies are called "the regime" in the german version).

Can only recommend to import the US or UK version.

Then who is BJ and the allies fighting in the WW2 scenes in the previous game?

The focus on Tarantino wannabe cut scenes is grating me, show me more fine ways of killing Nazi's.

Hope they have auto ammo pickup this time, it makes replaying the previous 2 grating.

deim0s

The focus on Tarantino wannabe cut scenes is grating me, show me more fine ways of killing Nazi's.

Hope they have auto ammo pickup this time, it makes replaying the previous 2 grating.

Yeah, pressing E got annoying when you could've just focused on the important parts: WASD, the two mouse buttons, and shooting Nazis. :D

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
People can stop bitching about the story focus of the game. Machine Games makes narrative focused adventures and have for a long time. This isn't Doom.

Top Bottom