• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus |OT| You don't need a Switch to play this outside!

Fuck me, this game man!!

Somehow, in the first hour of gamepley, they managed to present 2 of the most disgraceful characters in gaming history. I won't spoil anything, but I was shocked, and I'm not shocked easily. WOW, just WOW!

It's Django
Unchained meets Schindler's List meets Butterfly Effect

I believe I know who you're on about but I never felt hate on a game character before so that alone tells me I am for in one heck of a ride.

About 6 hours in, Absolutely loving it!

thatJohann

I'm liking the game, although I feel the sound is off on the PS4. The voices sound so tiny. and so do the guns. Don't have this problem in any other games. Playing with TV speakers

abracadaver

Anybody knows if it`s possible to activate the uncut version on steam when the german version was already activated?

It is because they are 2 different games.

You have to activate it with a VPN though and after that you have to wait ~3 months before you can download and play it (without VPN)

NateGrigs

yeah i just set it to TV and the voices are louder at least, but it still sounds kinda distant, hard to explain.

I haven't messed with it much but got the sense that the center channel was a bit low. Does everything sound distant or just the voices in front?

Ravelle

The game is designed to be played on lower difficulties. You die way too fast on hard or higher, you basically have to play like CoD half the time.

Welp, indeed. Played it on the third Difficulty because thought that was suppose to be "normal" but I kept dying in a couple of shots in the wheelchair. Even on Don't Hurt Me in power armor you die super fast.

zooL

is it possible to play the uncut version on a German PS4 or is it blocked like on steam? do patches work? thanks!

Grady

Disappointed in permadeath mode trophy needed for Platinum since I platinumed the others. No interest in trying it. Decided to just crank down the difficulty and play it for the story since trophy hunting isnt feasible. Would have waited for discount if I knew that.

FHIZ

For anyone who is a bit further than me (I'm in the U-boat mission after New York, so pretty early)... please tell me BJ cheers the fuck up at some point. His dreary depressing attitude especially while talking to
Caroline
is just too much. It's just an overwhelming damper on the game compared to the action.

Alebelly

I'm liking the game, although I feel the sound is off on the PS4. The voices sound so tiny. and so do the guns. Don't have this problem in any other games. Playing with TV speakers

If I put the sound just through my Yamaha speaker base, it sounds incredible. If I just use TV, or if I split the sound between TV and speaker base it doesn't sound nearly as good.

nkarafo

For anyone who is a bit further than me (I'm in the U-boat mission after New York, so pretty early)... please tell me BJ cheers the fuck up at some point. His dreary depressing attitude especially while talking to
Caroline
is just too much. It's just an overwhelming damper on the game compared to the action.
Yeah this is the worst part of the game, especially his monologues. For some reason this game takes itself way too seriously.

FHIZ

Yeah this is the worst part of the game, especially his monologues. For some reason this game takes itself way too seriously.

But at times it totally doesn't... Between
Fergus' possessed robotic arm
the
Catmonkey
, and the resistance member damn well worshiping a
functioning toilet,
there's been a bunch of goofy humorous stuff... Then you play the game and it's just get big guns, shoot mechanazis, throw axes at people's heads theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen you get BJ's internal monologue which reads like a suicide note.

I mean, at one point he quite literally says "Look... another angel" after seeing a dead body like he's a Little Sister from Bioshock.

Drewfonse

I dont understand the pun in in the op. I feel stupid.

You're not alone.

Absolutely loving the game, but
after you rescue the resistance fighters, you're supposed to go to Section F. I have been running around the home base for 15 minutes, where the hell is it? BJ even says that he should go to the hidden entrance in the locker room. There's a fucking locker room? Where?

Alebelly

You're not alone.

Absolutely loving the game, but
after you rescue the resistance fighters, you're supposed to go to Section F. I have been running around the home base for 15 minutes, where the hell is it? BJ even says that he should go to the hidden entrance in the locker room. There's a fucking locker room? Where?

I think when that cut scene ends your standing right in front of the the entrance, they say its welded shut.
I think he gives you a lazer gun that can melt through the sealed entrance

Caroline

If you played Wolfeinstein 09, it makes more sense as
Caroline is the only connection and reminder of BJ's former self, and understands him the most from their previous time working together against Deathhead, losing her absolutely will put a huge burden on his mind, and he know god damn well at that time, that he won't be in this world for long.

Drewfonse

I think when that cut scene ends your standing right in front of the the entrance, they say its welded shut.
I think he gives you a lazer gun that can melt through the sealed entrance

That might be a different sequence. Either that, or I completely zoned out, I don't remember getting that.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Can someone explain to me what the subtitle in the OP means?

It's a reference to Trump/Russia/Nazi/Republicans/Anyone I Disagree With. Tongue-in-cheek of saying you could play this game in real life instead. And considering the game is about shooting and killing them, you can draw your own conclusions. We have fun here at GAF! :)

im holding off on the game till I get an X, but can someone tell me if my friends summation of the game is accurate or hes just exaggerating:

"its as long as a cod campaign, nothing is solved, whole game is just a setup for a 3rd one, and over half of it is cutscenes"

spootime

im holding off on the game till I get an X, but can someone tell me if my friends summation of the game is accurate or hes just exaggerating:

"its as long as a cod campaign, nothing is solved, whole game is just a setup for a 3rd one, and over half of it is cutscenes"

True, false, somewhat true, somewhat true

He's wrong across the board.

FHIZ

If you played Wolfeinstein 09, it makes more sense as
Caroline is the only connection and reminder of BJ's former self, and understands him the most from their previous time working together against Deathhead, losing her absolutely will put a huge burden on his mind, and he know god damn well at that time, that he won't be in this world for long.

That's what I was wondering. Having only played the first in the Machinegames series, BJ's reaction to
Caroline's death
, comes off as not having much of the required context to pull it off. Regardless... I feel like wanting to turn off BJ's narration more times than not, because it's just such a wet blanket compared to everything else going on in the game.

On the subject, I did some quick searching, and couldn't find any (legal) way to play the PC version of Raven's Wolfenstein. It got taken down for sale once Bethesda bought Id right?

Lt.Chips

I loved most of the cutscenes - they were all so well done - but my favorite one has got to be the one at New Orleans where
BJ and Horton goes into an argument on their beliefs over whiskey shots in what I can only describe as a rap battle, with Paris Jack's clarinet playing in the background
. Serious, over the top, upbeat, funny, and sincere.

leng jai

So DF confirmed that the guy is nowhere near locked 60fps on the Pro, frequently in the 50s. Should have gone PC in hindsight.

Venuspower

Finished the game a few minutes ago. Took me 17 hours and 39 minutes.
Progress stands at 52%. In other words: There is still a lot of stuff to find/to do. But the main story is done.
What more can I say besides: The game is really really awesome. IMHO a must-have if you like shooters. Especially the improved gameplay compared to TNO is really awesome. The only thing I missed: Why aren't we able to shoot the helmets of death enemies. I loved that in TNO. Missing it here. But overall the game really derserved its 89 metascore.

But now lets get into some risky territory. Do not continue reading if you do not want to get spoiled:
- The whole beheading scene was really strange. I mean: WTF. Really had to laugh about it after realizing whats going on. But man... really strange. It became even more funny when Set puked into the container where B.J. head was in while everyone was drunk at the party.
- The music during the endscreen is not that good if you ask me. TNO had a much better soundtrack for that.
- I am still not sure about the end. Suddenly it was there. No boss fight. Nothing. But I really liked it how B.J. divided Frau Engels head. Had to think about the scene where Negan killed Glenn in TWD and his eye popped out in that moment.
- I am still annoyed that they want us to play the "Mein Leben" difficulty for Platinum.
- The game itself was really hard at some parts. I started on "do or die". But I turned it down to "Bring 'em on!" after 2 hours. But I did not feel a huge difference between them. Also some parts are really unfair. Luckily they give us the option to manually do the safe at points where we want to respawn when whe die.
- Since I played the german version I had to deal with the reagime instead of nazis. Hitler was called Heiler (lol; german word for healer). They removed Hitlers beard, eventhough they had the beard on pictures that showed him.
- The german version is really well done. Besides the Hitler thing everything is really well done. Even the conversation between the two Ku-Klux-Klan members and one soldier. While the soldier wants to test their german language skills in the non-censored version he asks questions about the glorious history of the regime. The outcome is the same. Also in terms of humor. Really well done.
- Can not wait for more Content + Wolfenstein 3. I am pretty sure we will see it in 2020/2021.

Holy shit.
Is there a way to run past this boss (where the game demands you fight two oversize megatrons)?

EDIT: Nvm, I got it.

Khoryos

How far do I have to go before the Enigma machine unlocks? For context, I've just
Secured a nuclear warhead from Section F

I'm worried I'm missing something obvious.

Venuspower

How far do I have to go before the Enigma machine unlocks? For context, I've just
Secured a nuclear warhead from Section F

I'm worried I'm missing something obvious.

Still a lot of stuff to do until you are able to use it.
You won't miss the point when the Enigma machine is ready to use ;)

Killing Nazi's in a wheelchair is about the coolest way ever to start a video game.

100% cosigned.

I'm 8 hours in so far, maybe a little under halfway, and still loving the game. I know people here are talking about how dark the game is, it definitely and appropriately is just that, but there's also loads of really funny jokes too. I suppose a lot of them are more optional (easy to skip by and miss them) so rushing can affect how you see the game's mood, but I feel it reaches a great balance. To me the game's control of tone is one of its most impressive aspects. I've both been near tears and literally laughing out loud, and none of that mixture feels jarring or out of place.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Finished the game just now.
Pretty dumb shooter overall
Story was mediocre at best.

Had a blast with the gameplay.
And gfx wise ? Damn that main hub just wow almost real

That's what I was wondering. Having only played the first in the Machinegames series, BJ's reaction to
Caroline's death
, comes off as not having much of the required context to pull it off. Regardless... I feel like wanting to turn off BJ's narration more times than not, because it's just such a wet blanket compared to everything else going on in the game.

On the subject, I did some quick searching, and couldn't find any (legal) way to play the PC version of Raven's Wolfenstein. It got taken down for sale once Bethesda bought Id right?

Wolf 09 is lost forever :( a really underrated game imo.

Top Bottom