• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

Dresden

Pretty good. Final boss was lame. Sequel needs to turn BJ into a human bullet vacuum.

I didn't like zombies that much, but the few sections where it's nazis vs nazi zombies were fun. The game needs more setups like that, where you're inserted into a three way battle between two factions of AI.

Arkanius

Anyone playing on Windows 10?
It seems the game doesn't like the new OS for some reason. I get massive artifacts everywhere if I decide to turn Vsync On

Could also be AMD shaneningans, since it's an OpenGL game...

Stormus

Just beat the game. I got a solid seven hours of out the SP without touching anything else. Very please with the value of this package.

However . . . the last boss was a garbage. Also MachineGames desperately needs to implement a more intuitive way to pick up ammo and health. Especially on console, when the same button to 'pick up' is also to reload. Literally, about every fight I'd find myself reloading by accident as I ran back and forth over corpses to collect ammo. Lastly, to change weapons, it would be nice if the game slowed down when you were in the menu to change guns. This has worked well for other games, and I think it would work well here too.

Levyne

Banned
Anyone playing on Windows 10?
It seems the game doesn't like the new OS for some reason. I get massive artifacts everywhere if I decide to turn Vsync On

Could also be AMD shaneningans, since it's an OpenGL game...

I got some weird artifacting when trying to mess with the texture compression streaming settings once I turned all those off it seems a lot better (As in no compression, at least no CUDA assist.)

Courage

Also MachineGames desperately needs to implement a more intuitive way to pick up ammo and health. Especially on console, when the same button to 'pick up' is also to reload. Literally, about every fight I'd find myself reloading by accident as I ran back and forth over corpses to collect ammo. Lastly, to change weapons, it would be nice if the game slowed down when you were in the menu to change guns. This has worked well for other games, and I think it would work well here too.

I agree with all of these points. I never got the appeal of manually scavenging for ammo in a game like this. There's no sense of 'nook and cranny' looting when you always have excessive ammo. It's just cumbersome most of the time.

I'm playing the game on Uber and I'm having fun. Not looking forward to the final boss based on these impressions.

So what's up with challenge mode? Is it like a horde mode thing?
Its more like COD 4's Arcade Mode. Major skirmishes/arenas from the campaign cut out and replayed in isolation with scoring and leaderboards.

If you love the combat in the new Wolfenstein, the challenge mode is the quickest way to get dropped right into the meatgrinder. Get psyched!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think most would agree on that. Most shooter bosses suck imho, but in the case of Old Blood there's no real setup and no mechanical reason for it to have the qualities it has. Its just kindof there to be a random end boss.

Which was a shame since I actually found the bosses in New Order to be pretty fun for FPS bosses. All the bosses in this were pretty weak.

Kriken

Well I just finished, clocked in at about 9 hours
I died way more than I'm willing to admit
missed a few collectibles, will probably grab them at a later time. Overall it was a blast, not as good as TNO, but still worth it

Ricker

What the hell am I missing in the escape from the cable car in Chapter 4...? seems impossible to do stuck in that little car while they throw grenade in there,I keep dying...some parts in this game are very frustrating...also I hate hints being mumble by your character that you can barely make out...

DocSeuss

I had fun with that. Final boss was pretty cool. He can't see you, so you have to be sneaky and let the nazis lure him when they start shooting at you.

Overall, story was good, gameplay was fun, secrets were a bit more challenging to find this time... main complaint is that it wanted me to spend more time in cover than I would have liked. And that first level is repetitive. And that the game isn't longer.

I want to spend a lot more time strafing in this game.

Like The New Order, this game isn't really meant to be played on Uber. It's not very fun on that difficulty, and I say this as someone who beat Deathshead on my first try on Uber.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What the hell am I missing in the escape from the cable car in Chapter 4...? seems impossible to do stuck in that little car while they throw grenade in there,I keep dying...some parts in this game are very frustrating...also I hate hints being mumble by your character that you can barely make out...

There's a hatch on the ceiling you can climb out of.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Are the character models (human) as awful as TNO?
I swear those plasticky dolls made me enjoy that game less (also looking at you, Alien: Isolation) and I was hoping that dropping last-gen ports helped a bit in that department?

Hazmat

You can climb on top of your car and slide along the cable to get to the station. Also, you're safer up top and you might have missed that you're being attacked by people at the station as well.

Levyne

Banned
Are the character models (human) as awful as TNO?
I swear those plasticky dolls made me enjoy that game less (also looking at you, Alien: Isolation) and I was hoping that dropping last-gen ports helped a bit in that department?

The looked the same to me. Im nor bothered by them though, I assume they were going for more stylized and less photo realistic on them.

There's way fewer cutscenes though, if that's any trade off, lol.

It doesn't need fixing, it's a feature. It makes you actually look at your surroundings and not just pick every thing up by mindlessly bumping into shelves. Plus, it allows you to selectively pick up armor and health pickups when you want to, so you don't accidentally waste overcharging health/armor.

Though I do agree that it is still kind of annoying.
It needs 'fixing.' Armor and health being a manual pick-up is logical, but there is no reason for ammo to receive the same treatment. Rarely will you ever ask yourself "do I really want to pick up this ammunition?" compared to the other two, never mind that fresh stacks of bullets are far more abundant too.

The game just doesn't feel balanced. It's unfair and cheap, and has an identity crisis.
Having played through Über with relative ease, I disagree with this entirely. Chokepoints where the game dictates you to play it as a cover shooter are sporadic, the only so-called bullet sponges are the super soldiers (which you can still eliminate rather quickly) and the grenade spam that others have mentioned in here is entirely overblown. The latter being nowhere near as close to the extremes of certain Call of Duty games on the highest difficulty.

Beat it a few days ago. I guess I kinda rushed? My Steam logged time has me sitting a little under 6 hours. It was fun, didn't expect the
zombies
. Will have to replay it again sometime.

Ricker

There's a hatch on the ceiling you can climb out of.

You can climb on top of your car and slide along the cable to get to the station. Also, you're safer up top and you might have missed that you're being attacked by people at the station as well.

Ah,I knew I was missing something,thanks for the tips guys...man this game is getting harder and harder and stealth is almost useless now lol...

Calabi

Its amazing what a difference a change in strategy can make.

I kept getting swamped by loads of nazis and grenade spammed to death. I try a different method sneak around and find the two commanders kill them and then snipe the two other nazis and it's quiet no more nazis.

Is there any significance to that rat? I'm sure it's the same rat that keeps following blaskowitz around.

Unit24

It needs 'fixing.' Armor and health being a manual pick-up is logical, but there is no reason for ammo to receive the same treatment. Rarely will you ever ask yourself "do I really want to pick up this ammunition?" compared to the other two, never mind that fresh stacks of bullets are far more abundant too.

Obviously you missed my follow-up post where I agreed that it's just annoying when it comes to ammo pickups.

Lunar FC

Anybody else ever have the problem where you
parked the mech
in a place where you can't get back in it? Think i'm just going to have to restart the level.

CryptiK

Game was amazing. Last Boss was eh. But who would have thought that Wolfenstein would have such a fleshed out, interesting story. I need more. id Tech 5 look actually ok in this in the natural areas.

Lunar FC

Was praying for anything other than some
random huge monster
for the last boss. And my god is this fight awful, dodging attacks in a Wolfenstien game is something I never wish to do again. Loved the game overall though.

edit: Also why was the final nightmare level super easy/short.?

Thriller

I absolutely adore this game. I got it on the 5th of May (Dutch liberation day) and I filled my German 1 liter beer glass and baked me some German sausage and liberated some digital Nazis from their lives.

Absolutely awesome. I've played all wolfenstein games and there is nothing more rewarding than finding those treasures after checking everywhere.

Im bound on going platinum like I did with TNO and I might go for another play through just for the fun of it :D

Experien

Was praying for anything other than some
random huge monster
for the last boss. And my god is this fight awful, dodging attacks in a Wolfenstien game is something I never wish to do again. Loved the game overall though.

edit: Also why was the final nightmare level super easy/short.?

Wasn't the Nightmare just playing 3D? i haven't played it in forever so I forget.

As for the last boss, it was easy to dodge. Heck, first half I
stayed on the lower half and shot grenades in his mouth and just ducked his horizontal swipes. He killed all the soldiers (I think he hates noise). Only had to move when I ran out of ammo, Took two tries?

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, the final boss was a lot easier when I decided to use the pistol instead of the shotgun to
clear the mooks

Lunar FC

Wasn't the Nightmare just playing 3D? i haven't played it in forever so I forget.

As for the last boss, it was easy to dodge. Heck, first half I
stayed on the lower half and shot grenades in his mouth and just ducked his horizontal swipes. He killed all the soldiers (I think he hates noise). Only had to move when I ran out of ammo, Took two tries?

The final nightmare was just
one big guy that you can kill in like 10 seconds
. As for the final boss, once I decided too just stay on the bottom level everything was much easier. The
monster
took care of everybody else for me.

I just beat the game this afternoon, on hard. It ended up being a lot easier following the first several chapters. Switching from uber made it more fun and easier, but the chapter that I did switch in was still pretty challenging.

The game got better during chapters 5 and 6, and the last couple were pretty good as well. I started to like and enjoy it more, and also beat the final nightmare boss (which was a breeze).

The final boss was a bit of a pain, though. A bullet sponge, with the annoying Nazis coming around.

Ended up finding more than half the gold pieces and going back to unlock all the perks, but the challenge maps are too annoying.

Hazmat

Just beat it. Awesome, but a step below TNO. I thought the nightmare levels were pretty bad though, and I stopped doing them. They either need to be smaller or I need to move faster.

The double shotguns in this are awesome. I liked them even better than TNO's shotties.

So I havent played either the TNO or TOB. But since the The Old Blood is a prequel, I play Old Blood first right? Is there any DLC I need to pick up?

slop101

Banned
Jesus, this sure took it's sweet ass time to download...

TFfbPW1.jpg

And it's not like my internet is super slow or something.

4350277139.png

40 gigs is a lot for a download though. They should've just made this available on disc as well. Would've been WAY quicker.

Anyways, a few hours into the game, and I'm digging it - pretty long and robust for a $20 game. I wish more games would ditch their multiplayer component if it meant that we could get a solid 8-hour single-player campaign for $20.

Oh my god, Chapter 6 is amazing.
I love how they hid the minigun under the mattress during the first horde.

Chapter 6 is a lot of fun, and I quite enjoyed Chapter 5 as well. The rest is decent but unspectacular and nothing to write home about.

I caved and gave it a 7/10, because it's solid overall and has a ton of content for $20.

Finished it today and loved it. Thought the boss fight was cool. Still have the challenges to do, which I'll try to get done before Witcher.

I think my only gripe was the Quick Turn perk. I hate L3 and R3 buttons, and this perk messed with me on Uber especially in the
pentagram
room with all the
zombies
leading up to the boss fight.

DSmalls84

Finished The Old Blood today after finishing the new order last week. Great dlc but I felt It started stronger than it ended. Really preferred the prison break/castle levels and the Jager character to Schabbs. Overall a great package for $20.

Chapter 6 is a lot of fun, and I quite enjoyed Chapter 5 as well. The rest is decent but unspectacular and nothing to write home about.

I caved and gave it a 7/10, because it's solid overall and has a ton of content for $20.

I found most of the game to be enjoyable, save the first chapter. Just finished it now and just like The New Order did, it has left me hungry for more.

Marjar

Banned
It's definitely getting better as it goes on, but it still has all the problems I had with the first game, and overall I'm finding it really boring and tedious.

I dunno, maybe I'm just losing my love for FPS games.

W.S.

XBL has the Old Blood and New Order bundled together for $24. Now I REALLY wished I waited since I would have been able to get both for that crazy good price.

That being said, even if you "double dip" on the bundle TNO's still cheaper than the stand alone game.

Fisty

Going back to the challenges, had to take a break after failing Wulfburg Square so much. Hopefully I can get through this time.

EDIT: aaaaaand i got it. What a bunch of crap i cant believe how many times i died on that the other night

Top Bottom