• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman admits to false rape charges against her father; father set free after 11 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

njr

It's a scary thought, when someone believes they can make anyone go to prison just because they don't like them. There's no way to prevent innocent people from going to jail, but there should be at the very least compensation for what they went through, even if it's not enough for what happened. Apparently this guy gets nothing.

Imagine what the dad went through in jail.
This right here. While I understand that plagiarize is trying to support a moral idea, he's just. Missing. The. Point.

The point isn't that an 11 year old should be disbelieved at trial or whatever his damned strawman was.

The point is that it is FUCKED UP for an innocent man to be imprisoned and have to go through what he may have gone through in prison. He's lucky he wasn't murdered.

Honestly. Think about what you're posting plagiarize, the father is the victim here so change your line of thinking to him, not theoreticals. Can you put yourself in his shoes and imagine what it would be like to go through such an ordeal, rather than hammering your argument? Think about it, please.

There needs to be compensation for this. You all can say that from a legal principle rape is no different than any other crime; but it's almost a statistical fact that child rapists are the biggest victims of assaults in prison.

Christ, people.

You will be unable to prove it had nothing to do with gender. And most people would not expect the mother to go to jail for 11 years, social expectations and all that.
look up Aimee Louise Sword. in cases of child rape, no one gives a shit about genders.

And you are really comparing a decade of jail imposed on an innocent person to shame and ridicule for a persons actions? I think you have gone a bit overboard here man.
erm. no. i am comparing a guy on a forum living with the allegations of rape you talked about, with the shame that the girl who falsely accused him will live with and be confronted with for lying about it.

Not true at all.
it clearly is.

i mean, it really, completely, clearly is.

logically, at most it can be equally difficult to get an innocent convicted of rape as a guilty person... and given the reasonable doubt standard, and that in the case of actual rape your chances of having evidence that you were raped are higher...

it is totally obvious that it is harder to be falsely convicted of rape, than justly convicted of rape.

i don't say this about much in debates like this, but the above is a factual statement, that is logically true, and even if it wasn't (which it is) is backed up by every shred of statistical evidence you could possibly produce.

Redux

Banned
Woman admits to false rape charges against her father; father set free after 11 years Reply to Thread

Tobias_Beecher.jpg

Dead Man

look up Aimee Louise Sword. in cases of child rape, no one gives a shit about genders.
One case does not really prove anything. You ask if males can rape females, a lot of people will say it is not possible. Molest, yes, but actual rape is something different in most people minds. Hell, do a poll on GAF.

erm. no. i am comparing a guy on a forum living with the allegations of rape you talked about, with the shame that the girl who falsely accused him will live with and be confronted with for lying about it.

I misread, sorry.

akira28

it clearly is.

i mean, it really, completely, clearly is.

You first set up the assumption that it is somehow difficult to convict someone of rape. While there may be a relative difficulty in comparison with other types of convictions, it is still a routine operation of the justice system based on the evidence available, the testimony of those involved, the laws, and ultimately the jury. It's not 100% less likely that someone innocent could be convicted. If someone lies, it the evidence is tampered with, if the defendant is profiled, if the accuser is mistaken or in some other way incorrect about the details of the accusation, or if the jury is in any way predisposed to one decision or another, that extreme difficulty you named becomes totally reliant on the factors involved, and suddenly no longer quite as difficult. Sometimes the police just want to have caught the rapist, and they believe their suspect is the guy. Sometimes the accuser isn't 100% sure, but the defendant fits the description. It's something that happens. It used to happen a lot more, but it still happens today, it's not a .05 rare occurrence.

Maybe I just have less faith in the system than you do. I do know there is a history of both false accusations, and unjust convictions where rape is concerned. So much so that maybe fixing the holes in system instead of pushing the idea of how rare it is that innocent men go to prison should be the focus.

One case does not really prove anything. You ask if males can rape females, a lot of people will say it is not possible. Molest, yes, but actual rape is something different in most people minds. Hell, do a poll on GAF.
why ask that question? i know you meant if women can rape men, but the example i gave wasn't of that. it was of a woman raping her child.

and in that example, before the world knew half of the evidence, you'll never guess what happened to Aimee Louise Sword? most everyone in the media prejudged her guilty, and most everyone online did the same. i mean, they were right, and she was... but clearly when a woman rapes her male child, the reaction is the same as to when a man rapes his female child.

that isn't demonstrated by 'one case' but hundreds of reactions to that case. i can find more examples if you'd like, or you could try to find a counter example where most everyone was defending the accused mother and saying she shouldn't go to prison or whatever.

which is how i feel too. i feel that this is an unfortunate side effect of reasonable standards. that she gets away with it, is also unfortunate. no one can give that man back his time, but by coming forwards she partially righted a wrong.

hate who she was and what she did 11 years ago. don't hate who she is now and what she did by coming clean... and while the state should offer her father some compensation, they don't deserve any blame here.

the system is, like all legal systems, imperfect. it's also the best we've been able to come up with so far. i don't know how there can ever be an easy answer to child rape cases where all we have to go on is the kids word... but i think what we have now is about as good as it's going to get.

She FUCKED up her own father's life forever, how can any man continue on when he is accused of raping his own child, BY HIS OWN CHILD? What does he do now? He will never get his life back, he can't live a normal life, he will forever remember that his own daughter framed him for one of the most HEINOUS crimes possible.

It's not "unfortunate", it's fucked up. A fucking hurricane landing right on top your house is "unfortunate", this on the other hand is bullshit. There's no wrong that is righted here, she admitted to fucking up his father's life forever, something that she should have admitted to years ago had she not been so disgustingly dishonest and gutless, now she needs to pay for what she did, put her behind bars for 9 years at minimum and let her think about what she has done.

You first set up the assumption that it is somehow difficult to convict someone of rape. While there may be a relative difficulty in comparison with other types of convictions, it is still a routine operation of the justice system based on the evidence available, the testimony of those involved, the laws, and ultimately the jury. It's not 100% less likely that someone innocent could be convicted. If someone lies, it the evidence is tampered with, if the defendant is profiled, if the accuser is mistaken or in some other way incorrect about the details of the accusation, or if the jury is in any way predisposed to one decision or another, that extreme difficulty you named becomes totally reliant on the factors involved, and suddenly no longer quite as difficult.
i didn't say it was 100% less likely though did i? i said it was clearly harder to convict an innocent of rape than it was to convict someone guilty of rape.

and it clearly is.

i also said that the number of rapists who go unconvicted is orders of magnitude higher than the numbers of innocents who are convicted of rape, and the statistics back that up.

Dead Man

why ask that question? i know you meant if women can rape men, but the example i gave wasn't of that. it was of a woman raping her child.

and in that example, before the world knew half of the evidence, you'll never guess what happened to Aimee Louise Sword? most everyone in the media prejudged her guilty, and most everyone online did the same. i mean, they were right, and she was... but clearly when a woman rapes her male child, the reaction is the same as to when a man rapes his female child.

that isn't demonstrated by 'one case' but hundreds of reactions to that case. i can find more examples if you'd like, or you could try to find a counter example where most everyone was defending the accused mother and saying she shouldn't go to prison or whatever.

Having looked at the details of that case, it is a bit different, and I do see many dissenting view on a quick google. Good to see justice was done though. I can't really argue this any more, it is making me sad as hell reading about shit trying to find evidence. I will just reiterate that I believe is someone wilfully causes an innocent person to be convicted, they should be charged with a crime themselves. Nothing will change my mind on that.

She FUCKED up her own father's life forever, how can any man continue on when he is accused of raping his own child, BY HIS OWN CHILD? What does he do now? He will never get his life back, he can't live a normal life, he will forever remember that his own daughter framed him for one of the most HEINOUS crimes possible, as a father he might have sacrificed his own life for her.

It's not "unfortunate", it's fucked up. A fucking hurricane landing right on top your house is "unfortunate", this on the other hand is bullshit. There's no wrong that is righted here, she admitted to fucking up his father's life forever, something that she should have admitted to years ago had she not been so disgustingly dishonest and gutless, now she needs to pay for what she did, put her behind bars for 11 years at minimum and let her think about what she has done.
and her life outside prison will be all rains drops on roses and whiskers on kittens in your world i suppose. she will never suffer the same kind of social shunning that her father will in your world i suppose.

it is fucked up that we have to accept that innocent people will go to jail if we want to accept a functional legal system, but we do have to accept that.

but sure, throw someone in jail for eleven years for being a messed up bitch when they were eleven, just because they stopped being a messed up bitch and turned their life around and tried to right the wrong they had committed.

'let her think about what she has done'. hilarious. because it probably never crosses her mind right?

would you hire her? i wouldn't. a cursory google tells you what she did in the first hit.

akira28

i didn't say it was 100% less likely though did i? i said it was clearly harder to convict an innocent of rape than it was to convict someone guilty of rape.

and it clearly is.

i also said that the number of rapists who go unconvicted is orders of magnitude higher than the numbers of innocents who are convicted of rape, and the statistics back that up.

Unconvicted, as in cleared in court? Or do you mean that an accusation is never made or the incident is never reported? No one is arguing that second point. It still doesn't mean that you should make major allowances like getting rid of consequences for false testimony to convince people that they would be safer if they came forward.

and her life outside prison will be all rains drops on roses and whiskers on kittens in your world i suppose. she will never suffer the same kind of social shunning that her father will in your world i suppose.

She's a missionary living abroad. All she's been through in her own life, difficulties and all of that, it's pretty likely no one knows her in connection to this. Maybe if she lived in her hometown or something, but getting away from something like this is pretty easily done. This small town social stigma you claim will hound her for the rest of her days is nothing compared to 11 years as a child rapist under false accusation from your daughter.

You know what happens when I google my name? 40 hits from totally different people way more successful that I'll ever be. This isn't her life sentence or punishment dude.

And innocent people routinely going to jail is a non-functioning legal system. And it isn't acceptable at all.

.GqueB.

Banned
it might take a few years, but given his circumstance, a good lawyer should be able to have it removed.

Pardon my ignorance by why would a good lawyer be required? Shouldn't it just come off? Sorry if this is a silly question. I don't know much about these things.

Having looked at the details of that case, it is a bit different, and I do see many dissenting view on a quick google. Good to see justice was done though. I can't really argue this any more, it is making me sad as hell reading about shit trying to find evidence. I will just reiterate that I believe is someone wilfully causes an innocent person to be convicted, they should be charged with a crime themselves. Nothing will change my mind on that.

and that might be the problem. you're applying principles to the real world and trying to fit them into the legal system as a one size fits all. 'no one should ever get away with what this girl has done, and nothing could ever convince me other wise'. i read as 'x is wrong, and it should be punished, no matter what harm might come from trying to punish it'.

i've already said that my perspective will change if we start seeing more cases like this as a result of not punishing Cassandra. i don't think we will, but if we do i will admit i was wrong.

will you admit you are wrong if there isn't an uptick in children lying about their parents raping them, and if more people come forwards and own up to lying about their parents raping them?

Violet_0

Banned

I don't think so.

besides, there are different types of sexual abuse

FStop7

Banned
Pardon my ignorance by why would a good lawyer be required? Shouldn't it just come off? Sorry if this is a silly question. I don't know much about these things.

It can haunt you forever. People who've been acquitted even have problems. People who were convicted have far, far more problems. Even if the conviction was wrongful and later overturned, it lingers.

Unconvicted, as in cleared in court? Or do you mean that an accusation is never made or the incident is never reported? No one is arguing that second point. It still doesn't mean that you should make major allowances like getting rid of consequences for false testimony to convince people that they would be safer if they came forward.

i mean unconvicted, which includes all of those examples. the word i think you are looking for is acquitted, which infers that a trial took place and a not guilty verdict was reached. hope that clears things up.

She's a missionary living abroad. All she's been through in her own life, difficulties and all of that, it's pretty likely no one knows her in connection to this. Maybe if she lived in her hometown or something, but getting away from something like this is pretty easily done. This small town social stigma you claim will hound her for the rest of her days is nothing compared to 11 years as a child rapist under false accusation from your daughter.

You know what happens when I google my name? 40 hits from totally different people way more successful that I'll ever be. This isn't her life sentence or punishment dude.
wait, how does this news story only stay within local boundaries but the original news stories go all over the world? how have we heard about this?

i don't care what happens when you google your name, what happens when you google her name, is that the very first hit is clearly about her, and it clearly says what she did.

you know how you know she's a missionary and all that? i think the people who know her in person can probably link the dots.

it is fucked up that we have to accept that innocent people will go to jail if we want to accept a functional legal system, but we do have to accept that.

but sure, throw someone in jail for eleven years for being a messed up bitch when they were eleven, just because they stopped being a messed up bitch and turned their life around and tried to right the wrong they had committed.

'let her think about what she has done'. hilarious. because it probably never crosses her mind right?

would you hire her? i wouldn't. a cursory google tells you what she did in the first hit.

Oh yeah, shit happens but we shouldn't punish the guilty because it would be a goddamn indictment of the fucking flawed system.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for the fact that she turned into a fucking meth head after she framed her own father on a rape that never occurred? She lied to a judge and a jury, and got her own father convicted of a crime that he never committed, it's a great first step that she admitted to her crime, now let her pay for what she did, she can do her missionary work in jail, while serving her time.

I'm not blaming her for when she was 11, I would be blaming her for now. She waited 11 YEARS to come clean. She wasn't a little girl all of that time.

I'm not blaming her for when she was 11, I would be blaming her for now. She waited 11 YEARS to come clean. She wasn't a little girl all of that time.
she didn't have a fucking calendar with the date when she would find religion, get off drugs, and come clean about what she did circled.

and she wasn't committing perjory at any point in that time as far as we know.

akira28

You know how many people named Cassandra Kennedy there are in the world? That's my point. And I'm pretty sure that some dude in a mission isn't reading NeoGAF or trawling news aggregators, so your idea that this will follow her forever is bunk. Once this news story stops trending, and once you stop visiting sites where she's the news subject, your directed Google search results may not be pointing at this particular Cassandra Kennedy anymore. Your sentencing her to a life time of worldwide shunning from a news story that I wouldn't have run into had I not been on this website will probably not be as effective as you might think.

i mean unconvicted, which includes all of those examples. the word i think you are looking for is acquitted, which infers that a trial took place and a not guilty verdict was reached. hope that clears things up.
So what was the point then? Of course rapists who are never accused outnumber the number of innocent people falsely accused, how is that at all relevant? So we should just get em all, hook or crook, lies included, even if we get a couple of good ones in the batch then? No.

Oh yeah, shit happens but we shouldn't punish the guilty because it would be a goddamn indictment of the fucking flawed system.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for the fact that she turned into a fucking meth head after she framed her own father on a rape that never occurred? She lied to a judge and a jury, and got her own father convicted of a crime that he never committed, it's a great first step that she admitted to her crime, now let her pay for what she did, she can do her missionary work in jail, while serving her time.

i'm going to leave this debate because it's clearly reached the point where we are going in circles.

she did wrong. she must be punished, even if doing so causes innocent people to remain in jail and rape victims to be even more afraid to come forwards.

we shall stick to our morals and DAMN THE HARM THAT LEGALLY ENFORCING THEM MAY DO TO SOCIETY. DAMN THE LEGAL SYSTEM FOR ALLOWING DISCRETION AT EVERY LEVEL. IF YOU DO A CRIME YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE CONVICTED OF IT. NO MATTER WHAT. POLICE, PROSECUTORS AND JUDGES SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO SHOW LENIANCY FOR ANY REASON.

i can't argue with 'no matter what' because it's a position of ignorance. so i am genuinely out of here.

I can't help but to wonder what this poor man went through in jail. How many beatings and rapes did he have to endure because of his own daughter?

JDSN

Banned
What a disgusting human being that daughter, she was a horrible person during all those 15 years that his father was in prison. Putting her in jail will never make it right for him, but its justice and no one is above justice. The faults of the system need to be fixed, its hard to predict if this will deter real rape victims from reporting, but the ends dont justify the means.

akira28

What a disgusting human being that daughter, she was a horrible person during all those 15 years that his father was in prison. Putting her in jail will never make it right for him, but its justice and no one is above justice. The faults of the system need to be fixed, its hard to predict if this will deter real rape victims from reporting, but the ends dont justify the means.

I just don't see the logic in why it would prevent legitimately aggrieved victims from seeking justice. She lied, if she was held accountable for her lying, why would someone telling the truth actually fear repercussions, even if they were afraid of not being believed. It's a personal and irrational fear that they should be helped through, not accepted as having and allowed to maintain. If you're lying, they perhaps they could prove you were lying, but if you're telling the truth, how would they prove you to be lying? They may acquit someone because the evidence isn't complete enough or other factors weren't enough to convince a jury or a judge, but that isn't going to turn around on the victim, with them suddenly facing prosecution.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
It really is one of the worst things to have done to you. And without a doubt one of my worst fears in the world. I mean fuck man... you're being accused of incest, rape and pedophilia and then thrown into the system for 11 years, knowing you had absolutely nothing to do with it. I can't even wrap my head around what that must feel like on a daily basis...

Oh yeah and by the way, your false accuser will suffer no consequences. Just fuck.

Zaptruder

Banned
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that false imprisonment for a decade is so so much worse than any sort of rape short of rape that involves maiming/murder?

I mean... if you're going to prison for raping your own underaged daughter... some bad shit is going to happen to you while you're in there. Not least of all the high chance of been raped multiple times over the course of a decade.

The suggestion then that it's ok to falsely imprison a few more guys so that we can get higher conviction rates for rape is kinda ludicrous to me.

Ultimately, the justice system is present to create an order in society that reduces the rate and act of wanton behaviour.

While higher conviction rates and more accurate convictions are certainly an important part of that...

I also really doubt that most rapists are thinking in coldly rational terms when they commit their acts - that the probability or likelihood of them been caught for rape is far less than other crimes.

So if rape convictions don't act as a huge deterrence, raising the rate of conviction at the expense of an increased likelihood of false conviction and imprisonment for one of the most emotionally heinous crimes... seems like a huge miscarriage of justice. A symptom of the vengeance driven mindset we have in society for crime and punishment, rather than the mindset of effectiveness that we should have towards such a double edged sword.

i'm going to leave this debate because it's clearly reached the point where we are going in circles.

she did wrong. she must be punished, even if doing so causes innocent people to remain in jail and rape victims to be even more afraid to come forwards.

we shall stick to our morals and DAMN THE HARM THAT LEGALLY ENFORCING THEM MAY DO TO SOCIETY. DAMN THE LEGAL SYSTEM FOR ALLOWING DISCRETION AT EVERY LEVEL. IF YOU DO A CRIME YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE CONVICTED OF IT. NO MATTER WHAT. POLICE, PROSECUTORS AND JUDGES SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO SHOW LENIANCY FOR ANY REASON.

i can't argue with 'no matter what' because it's a position of ignorance. so i am genuinely out of here.

You can't fucking argue because your argument is devoid of reason, it's PARANOIA to believe that LEGITIMATE rape victims will not come forward because they're afraid that somehow a decade later they would completely recant their testimony and they would be put in jail for lying to a judge, which legitimate rape victims wouldn't be doing since they're telling the truth, that's your fucking circle right there.

The woman admitted to lying, wtf harm is it going to do to "society" to punish her for a crime she did commit by framing her own father for a crime that he did not commit? It's like people conspiring to frame someone for murder and then later admitting that they gave false testimony, would punishing those people prevent other legitimate witnesses from testifying? Of course not. What it will do is serve to deter false accusations.

squidyj

accept is a strong word. Accept sounds like giving up on attempting to improve the system, accept sounds like "acceptable losses" which is complete and utter bullshit so I wouldn't use accept. Acknowledge our limitations perhaps. Work to overcome them, don't accept them.

Also at no point in this do her feelings matter to this. She did what she did and everything she did was through her own behaviour. I have no sympathy for her.

I agree you cannot afford to punish her for lying about it but I sure as hell don't like it and I don't accept it. It is, quite simply, not good enough even if it is the best we can do right now.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that false imprisonment for a decade is so so much worse than any sort of rape short of rape that involves maiming/murder?
I'm with you on that one.

Personally, I would definitely rather be raped and/or maimed than spend more than 5 years in a prison cell though. Especially if I'm accused of what he was....

I'm one of the most anti-suicide guys you'll meet, but there is no way I wouldn't seriously consider suicide in the situation this man was in. The fact that he didn't do it makes him a much better man than me as far as I'm concerned.

Richie

At the very least, he should be compensated for what he unjustly went through. Free therapy sessions, being removed from the sex offender lists at no cost of his own (because there was no fault of his own), financial aid, perhaps an official certification from the government that states him as a trustworthy citizen, which should help him finding jobs...In a perfect world. Of course, in said world this wouldn't have happened in the first place...

I'm aware of just how naive this comment probably is, but I do believe that the very least Justice could do is to try and compensate this poor man...

A failed attempt to prosecute a man for rape due to insufficient evidence is not the same as proving that a woman lied about being raped.

That goes without saying

The burden of proof for proving a woman lied about being raped should be as high as proving that a man raped a woman. Both should be "beyond a reasonable doubt". And both should come with harsh punishments considering the effect both crimes can have on the victims' lives.

Hypothetically, how would you go on about trying to determine (or prove) a woman is lying in her claim after already concluding that no evidence for the alleged rape can be found. Assuming she hasn't been tweeting about her intents to deceive the authorities, I can't envisage how its possible.

It really is one of the worst things to have done to you. And without a doubt one of my worst fears in the world. I mean fuck man... you're being accused of incest, rape and pedophilia and then thrown into the system for 11 years, knowing you had absolutely nothing to do with it. I can't even wrap my head around what that must feel like on a daily basis...

Oh yeah and by the way, your false accuser will suffer no consequences. Just fuck.

That and your false accuser is your own daughter whom you love, because she's your flesh, your blood, and one day she decided to fuck you up, now she feels sorry about it, so it's ok since she does some missionary work after spending her days as a meth head.

That goes without saying

Hypothetically, how would you go on about trying to determine (or prove) a woman is lying in her claim after already concluding that no evidence for the alleged rape can be found. Assuming she hasn't been tweeting about her intents to deceive the authorities, I can't envisage how its possible.

Are you serious about the goes without saying part?

Mudkips

Banned
it might take a few years, but given his circumstance, a good lawyer should be able to have it removed.

Those lists are basically a life sentence. I've never heard of someone being exonerated and then being removed from the registry.

Convicted of rape charges with what evidence? Just testimony of an 11-year-old girl?

Welcome to how men are tried for sex crimes. No evidence needed in many cases.

The line about not punishing false accusers because it will discourage them from coming forward is such fucking horseshit. Why not let all other forms of perjury, fraud, etc. slide?

Because it's absurd to let such behavior continue forever, unpunished, in the hopes that a small percentage of the victims will be exonerated at a later date.

JDSN

Banned
I just don't see the logic in why it would prevent legitimately aggrieved victims from seeking justice. She lied, if she was held accountable for her lying, why would someone telling the truth actually fear repercussions, even if they were afraid of not being believed. It's a personal and irrational fear that they should be helped through, not accepted as having and allowed to maintain. If you're lying, they perhaps they could prove you were lying, but if you're telling the truth, how would they prove you to be lying? They may acquit someone because the evidence isn't complete enough or other factors weren't enough to convince a jury or a judge, but that isn't going to turn around on the victim, with them suddenly facing prosecution.

Honestly, the only reason of why im not fully discounting that possibility is because I dont wanna be acused of being a misogynist, which is a surprisingly effective argument when some specific individuals of this board decide to use it; but yeah, I agree with you, its bullshit just to let this slide because of the vague and distant possibility that someone will misinterpret her punishment as a punishment to all rape victims that decide to report this. "El que nada debe nada tema" (Owe nothing, fear nothing), like they say over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom