• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman Goes on Racist Rant at Target

Trouble

Banned
Being mentally ill or on drugs doesn't wash away the racism, y'all.

Having a mental health/drug breakdown doesn't cause non-racists to start spouting racist shit.

eizarus

Banned
Being mentally ill or on drugs doesn't wash away the racism, y'all.

Having a mental health/drug breakdown doesn't cause non-racists to start spouting racist shit.
This. But that's not going to stop some people use mental illness as some excuse that downplays the racism issue to something less than a secondary matter.

Vidiot

Even if it is a mental illness people like that shouldn't be allowed out on their own. She was throwing shit at people. I know if I was there with my wife or kids and they got hurt from her throwing stuff I would have retaliated out of pure anger without thinking, mental illness or not.

Zakalwe

Banned
This. But that's not going to stop some people use mental illness as some excuse that downplays the racism issue to something less than a secondary matter.

Who is trying to make it less than a secondary matter?

It might not be the primary reason for the tirade here, but that doesn't make it insignificant at all. Who is suggesting it is?

eizarus

Banned
Who is trying to make it less than a secondary matter?

It might not be the primary reason for the tirade here, but that doesn't make it insignificant at all. Who is suggesting it is?

No one is making an excuse.
Just a quick read through the first 5 pages of the thread has more than enough people focusing way more on perceived mental illness (I've had drunks behave similar or worse at my previous place of work) than the issue of racism.

Violet_0

Banned
I would have retaliated out of pure anger without thinking, mental illness or not.

that's always the best course of action in any situation
okay, I jest, it's reasonable to want to intervene with appropriate force. That's much preferable to the poster who wanted the other woman in the thread that was linked last page that was locked because she was mentally ill to get knocked the fuck out

Zakalwe

Banned
Just a quick read through the first 5 pages of the thread has more than enough people focusing way more on perceived mental illness (I've had drunks behave similar or worse at my previous place of work) than the issue of racism.

The issue of racism has not been dismissed, just because people are saying this is a rare case of the racism not being the primary force behind the outburst doesn't mean anyone is downplaying anything. We know the racism here is horrible regardless of the woman's mental state, we know it hurts people. But as the conversation about mental health is important we should have it especially when we have people saying pretty ignorant stuff about mental health ITT.

Anyway, I'm bowing out. I'm going in circles and yes, elements of presenting my argument are making me feel pretty gross. Racism is a horrible thing, and I'm aware my comments are making others feel like I'm dismissing it.

Even if I don't believe I am, that's a reaction that's happening and it's not good. This shit is horrible.

Vidiot

that's always the best course of action in any situation
okay, I jest, it's reasonable to want to intervene with appropriate force. That's much preferable to the poster who wanted the other woman in the thread that was linked last page that was locked because she was mentally ill to get knocked the fuck out

I mean logical thinking me wouldn't wasn't to hurt anyone. If someone is throwing stuff and hurts my family logical me goes out the window though.

I know we're all on edge looking out for racist defenders

I'm not trying to defend a racist here before anyone gets stupid, but I'm pretty tired of people downplaying how serious mental health issues can be.

So, let me start by saying..

7aSQP2jr.jpg

Fuck you, Slayven..

Anyway, back to the real stuff. Your work helping the disabled and mentally ill/challenged is commendable. Your experiences are valid, and no one should dismiss them. But, that little bit in your first post is what most will focus on. You could have stuck to mental illness. You clearly seem very passionate about it, which, again, kudos to you and all the work y'all put in that is hard to do for many who deem these folks as being worth so little.

The thing that is a constant in threads of this sort (racism and such) is that more times than not, the R word is a bridge too far. It starts to seem that unless someone is wearing a pointy white hood, people give pretzels a run for their money when it comes to actually saying a thing is racist or not.

I've read every post you've made, and decided that now was the time to engage..I usually prefer to whiteface as Joan and be done with it. You have an opinion, as do others..I have mine, as do others. It's all just speculation in the end. None of us know this woman. Her troubles. Her life. What I DO know is what I saw, and what I'll say. This woman is racist and mentally ill. Isn't a shocking combination.

Do I want to play the > game? No..no, I don't. I don't feel the need. Plenty here don't want to either. What sucks in the end is that these threads tend to lean on mental illness or the world be damned. I know you've mentioned as much in a couple of your post, but they also boil down to ABSOLUTE mental illness, yet, reluctance to call her racist.

Do you, Zakalwe. PLEASE, continue to do the work that you do..we'll never have enough of folks that care enough to do what you do. Just, maybe, recognize that while you're sick of seeing certain things dismissed, others have been tired of the same. There are no winners here..sad situation all around.

Zakalwe

Banned
So, let me start by saying..

Fuck you, Slayven..

Anyway, back to the real stuff. Your work helping the disabled and mentally ill/challenged is commendable. Your experiences are valid, and no one should dismiss them. But, that little bit in your first post is what most will focus on. You could have stuck to mental illness. You clearly seem very passionate about it, which, again, kudos to you and all the work y'all put in that is hard to do for many who deem these folks as being worth so little.

The thing that is a constant in threads of this sort (racism and such) is that more times than not, the R word is a bridge too far. It starts to seem that unless someone is wearing a pointy white hood, people give pretzels a run for their money when it comes to actually saying a thing is racist or not.

I've read every post you've made, and decided that now was the time to engage..I usually prefer to whiteface as Joan and be done with it. You have an opinion, as do others..I have mine, as do others. It's all just speculation in the end. None of us know this woman. Her troubles. Her life. What I DO know is what I saw, and what I'll say. This woman is racist and mentally ill. Isn't a shocking combination.

Do I want to play the > game? No..no, I don't. I don't feel the need. Plenty here don't want to either. What sucks in the end is that these threads tend to lean on mental illness or the world be damned. I know you've mentioned as much in a couple of your post, but they also boil down to ABSOLUTEL mental illness, yet, reluctance to call her racist.

Do you, Zakalwe. PLEASE, continue to do the work that you do..we'll never have enough of folks that care enough to do what you do. Just, maybe, recognize that while you're sick of seeing certain things dismissed, others have been tired of the same. There are no winners here..sad situation all around.

Ok, one more post...

Firstly, I can't continue that work. I haven't been able to for years as I've spent a good deal of that time sick or without the capacity to care for others as those job require. Trust me, I wasn't saying any of that stuff to make me sound like a good person, I'm not the best person ever and I don't do that work anymore. And, honestly, I wouldn't want to. It's a lot to take on, and I have my own shit to deal with.

Secondly and finally, my part in this thread was never to downplay anything, and I conceded earlier on that the only thing that's 100% certain about this video is the racism. There have been tonnes of slightly tangential arguments that have made me stay, and quite a few ignorant comments regarding mental health which was my fear.

Sometimes these conversations need to happen in difficult places, we don't get to choose that unfortunately and it absolutely sucks that this woman's racism is still causing harm to people while a necessary conversation is happening. This is how fucking far reaching this shit is, I really do get this and understand why people are angry.

Anyway, I'm going to hide this thread or I'll just keep responding to comments and that's not going to be productive. Feel free to PM me if you want a response.

norm9

I think the people who say it's only a mental illness haven't been around people when they go on a racist tirade.

Cranster

Banned
Mental issues or not she definitely has racist views otherwise she would be saying something completely difirent. Glad security was able to get it under control.

The youtube comments are something else though.

rjinaz

Mental issues or not she definitely has racist views otherwise she would be saying something completely difirent. Glad security was able to get it under control.

The youtube comments
are something else though.

Just mental health issues those people.

But seriously though, racism is hate, and open displays of hate are never a pleasant display especially when directed at others in public where they are likely going to feel outnumbered.

Anyway, if she is sick, hopefully she gets help. Ideally she'd get some kind of sensitivity therapy as well.

Top Bottom