• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman Goes on Racist Rant at Target

spock

And therein lies the problem. Once she is arrested, she will go to a mental care facility and she will receive treatment for her illness if, she does indeed have one. How will her racist ideology be cured/treated? It will be brushed aside, just like it is in this thread.

You're right and I agree. We don't really have options or systems in place to change racist belief structures, etc. I think that is a great discussion and something that needs to be addressed. My comments relate mostly to those condemning the woman based on the video alone.

You're right and I agree. We don't really have options or systems in place to change racist belief structures, etc. I think that is a great discussion and something that needs to be addressed. My comments relate mostly to those condemning the woman based on the video alone.

People have also been determining that she's innocent based on the video alone

But yes I can admit that I'm condemning the woman in the video who called someone a "sand nigger".

Trouble

Banned
DGMf5QuV0AA0C50-800x430.jpg

Jesus, this picture looks like she killed a guy and wore him as a scarf.

CaqPuWS.gif

lmao

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah, racism doesn't come out of nowhere even when you're mentally ill. From my experience at working in mental hospitals and community settings with bipolar and schizophrenic disorders, if there is racism, it doesn't switch on and off when they're having an explosive episode or not. They'll still be racist when they have full control of their mental capacity.

This is actually nonsense. Psychosis can absolutely cause people to say things they don't mean, it can trigger actual breaks from reality where a person is utterly disconnected and hallucinating and unable to make sense of anything.

Sometimes it can breed deep, dark paranoia that itself becomes breeding ground for thoughts that their previously healthy mind wasn't capable of (the amount of times it was drilled into us during training that some of these patients would call us awful things, and that we had to try to not take it personally was pretty large).

I mean, I know this much because I read the necessary documentation when I had the positions I described before and listened to the doctors.

It's really convenient to say "mental health can't cause these things", but it's also really backwards and harmful. Will every mental health patient respond this way? Of course not. Will some? Unfortunately, they do.

Now, is this what's happening in this video? We can't be 100% certain, but there is definitely enough evidence to suggest it's possible this person might be suffering from that kind of break.

I mean, you make this claim and I've lived through people saying awful, horrendous things that I know for certain their rational mind wouldn't ever say.

You're also acting like a person can't be a racist, grow, and then suffer mental health conditions that makes their behaviour revert with no capacity to prevent it.

Again, I'm not saying this is happening in this video, but to make a claim that this isn't possible /at all/ is pretty ignorant.

Gattsu25

Banned
She was a danger to everyone near her. She was aiming for people's heads while throwing heavy items at them.

That security guard is a hero.

Damn, that security guard is a lot more controlled than I would have been in his situation. Not only is she being a racist bitch, but she's throwing shit that could easily hit a child. Fuck her.

NoName999

Okay if someone punches you in the face for no reason and then you later find out that was person was mentally ill, would you defend that person or still want that person to claim responsibility for their actions?

Because reading this thread, it seems like the only reason people are cosigning "mental illness is the reason for her racist snappings" is because they know they would never be the target for her hate.

After all, I'm sure the target of the woman's poison isn't thinking "She really needs to see therapist" but "GET THAT SHE DEVIL AWAY FROM ME!" or "SHE MIGHT FUCKING KILL ME!"

Again, I'm not saying this is happening in this video, but to make a claim that this isn't possible /at all/ is pretty ignorant.

You keep saying that.

Zakalwe

Banned
Okay if someone punches you in the face for no reason and then you later find out that was person was mentally ill, would you defend that person or still want that person to claim responsibility for their actions?

Depends on the severity of the condition.

If it turns out the person was in care and the care giversfailed their responsibility, they would be who I blamed.

Because reading this thread, it seems like the only reason people are cosigning "mental illness is the reason for her racist snappings" is because they know they would never be the target for her hate.

And I say that's a pretty silly assessment to make, and certainly isn't based on the majority of posts ITT.

I mean, I understand having the knee-jerk because the mental health card is played too often, but this specific situation is an anomaly that requires more attention/a border conversation.

And I keep repeating that because people don't read the thread.

Read the thread. I've made a few posts now that go in to detail and answer the things you're asking here.

This is actually nonsense. Psychosis can absolutely cause people to say things they don't mean, it can trigger actual breaks from reality where a person is utterly disconnected and hallucinating and unable to make sense of anything.

Sometimes it can breed deep, dark paranoia that itself becomes breeding ground for thoughts that their previously healthy mind wasn't capable of.

I mean, I know this much because I read the necessary documentation when I had the positions I described before and listened to the doctors.

It's really convenient to say "mental health can't cause these things", but it's also really backward sand harmful. Will every mental health patient respond this way? Of course not. Will some? Unfortunately, they do.

Now, is this what's happening in this video? We can't be 100% certain, but there is definitely enough evidence to suggest it's possible this person might be suffering from that kind of break.

I mean, you make this claim and I've lived through people saying awful, horrendous things that I know for certain their rational mind wouldn't ever say.

You're also acting like a person can't be a racist, grow, and then suffer mental health conditions that makes their behaviour revert with no capacity to prevent it.

I'm done. This is my last statement on this; its too much effort without any payoff.

When someone says "Read the thread" when a non-committal diagnosis of your own would suffice, it shows that you have much to type with little substance to back it. If people are giving you real conditions that would fit her behavior, conditions that back up the fact that racism has to be taught and isn't conjured out of thin air, with you posting "Read The Thread" as a rebuttal, you aren't really refuting anything. You're just continuing an argument for something that doesn't need to be argued. This isn't coming from someone with 'little knowledge of mental health'. I have more real world information on the subject than I would ever want.

Its your thread, though. I was just temporarily posting in it. Later.

spock

People have also been determining that she's innocent based on the video alone

I think it's hard to argue that she has no race issues what so ever given her comments. But the core issue the video is displaying is a mentally unstable person IMO who is also probably racist on some level. The problem is something appears to have triggered a racist belief structure and behavior pattern. Now you have to ask does having any potentially racist belief/neural structure make you a racist.

Can a person have a "potentially" racist thought structure in isolation and if so does just having the thought make them a racist? For example, say a person at some point in their life experienced an incident that created a deep neural and emotional association that they experienced as racially motivated.

Now let's say outside a certain trigger reminding them of said incident they don't have any other negative race related belief structures. And what if they even feel bad/guilty when something triggers that negative racial related network in their brain, but that doesn't stop the the trigger/experience. Combine the above with an activated trigger plus drug/mental issue and you end up in POSSIBLE situations as shown in the video. (not saying that's the case, just having a discussion, she could be a card carrying kkk member or some shit.)

The above is also probably the structure and pattern that has created many diet racist or people who do or say something racist and then say "but..." or try to apologize for it, etc.

Now with some reconditioning and other work they could rewire that. The problem is most wouldn't, nor are there any really practiced systems to do so. Also things like racism, etc. aren't looked at as things people change sadly, in relation to active mental health treatment or directed brain change processes.

This is pretty deep rabbit hole once you start involving neurology and what and where thoughts and beliefs reside within our personal identity and physical biology.

Again, I want to be clear I'm not justifying anything but trying to help my own model of understanding. That model is not necessarily true but, 2 quotes I currently employ heavily...

All models are false but some are useful.

And...

The map is not the territory.

Zakalwe..She's mentally ill and racist. Yes or no. We can't be definitive on one and not the other. Let's just answer the question so we can get back to hating Nintendo already..😏

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm done. This is my last statement on this; its too much effort without any payoff.

When someone says "Read the thread" when a non-committal diagnosis of your own would suffice, it shows that you have much to type with little substance to back it. If people are giving you real conditions that would fit her behavior, conditions that back up the fact that racism has to be taught and isn't conjured out of thin air, with you posting "Read The Thread" as a rebuttal, you aren't really refuting anything. You're just continuing an argument for something that doesn't need to be argued. This isn't coming from someone with 'little knowledge of mental health'. I have more real world information on the subject than I would ever want.

Its your thread, though. I was just temporarily posting in it. Later.

Or it shows that Iv'e already answered the question your asking numerous times and I'm tired? Unless you can find a single example of me requesting someone read the thread where the question they're asking /hasn't/ been discussed numerous times, you don't have any weight behind this.

Also please, that last sentence was utterly needless and not indicative of my behaviour here. Especially as I've gone out of my way to show I don't think I'm any kind of expert.

When I worked for target, security wasn't able to do that in our state (couldn't handcuff a person). Now sure how we would handle a situation like that (probably call the cops).

My mind went to "that woman's a rascist asshole and probably drunk". Woman's a rascist plain and simple.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have..believe me. Just looking for a straight Y or N to the question I asked. Think it'll settle things once and for all with the doubters and such..

I wish it were that simple. I wish this wasn't a horrible complex issue, and I wish mental health didn't ruin the lives of those it afflicts and those it affects.

And, mostly, I wish people could discuss these things productively. This conversation is important to have, like really fucking important, and people are so fucking charged (rightfully so).

I wish it were that simple. I wish this wasn't a horrible complex issue, and I wish mental health didn't ruin the lives of those it afflicts and those it affects.

And, mostly, I wish people could discuss these things productively. This conversation is important to have, like really fucking important, and people are so fucking charged (rightfully so).

Agreed 100%, believe me. Gotta cook for the folks..I'll get back to you in a couple of minutes.

This post brought to you by Instant Pot®!

Might be time for a two week vacation to Jersey Gordon

I thought we were friends..😞

Sami+

Huh, I thought "sand nigger" was dead. As an Arab never heard that one directed at me but maybe that's just because I'm white passing. I've only ever read about it being use against us.

Anyway, lol. It's weird how she speaks so oddly... rhythmically? Like everything is an attempt at a chant or something. Oh well, bye. Fucking white trash idiot.

yuoke

Banned
Huh, I thought "sand nigger" was dead. As an Arab never heard that one directed at me but maybe that's just because I'm white passing. I've only ever read about it being use against us.

Anyway, lol. It's weird how she speaks so oddly... rhythmically? Like everything is an attempt at a chant or something. Oh well, bye. Fucking white trash idiot.
It is weird how she talks like that...almost as if some mental issue is causing that.

eizarus

Banned
Fuck y'all who always jump to the mental issues "defence". There's a couple of posters here who have done it every time in the last year or so in threads like this. Without any evidence to confirm that, it's just a case of the person being a racist wankstain.

yuoke

Banned
Fuck y'all who always jump to the mental issues "defence". There's a couple of posters here who have done it every time in the last year or so in threads like this. Without any evidence to confirm that, it's just a case of the person being a racist wankstain.
They're very likely either mentally ill, or on some hard drugs. Evidence points to mentally ill though. She could be racist and mentally ill.

Zakalwe

Banned

Who has done that ITT?

And there being no evidence is quite dishonest. There's no absolute proof, but there's plenty of evidence to suggest it.

Dali

I rolled my eyes and thought dude was just trolling when I read the first "mental problem" response on the first page, but after watching the video that lady does act pretty fucking underpants on the outside crazy.

rjinaz

When I worked for target, security wasn't able to do that in our state (couldn't handcuff a person). Now sure how we would handle a situation like that (probably call the cops).

My mind went to "that woman's a rascist asshole and probably drunk". Woman's a rascist plain and simple.

It's based on state laws most likely. Some states allow security folks to detain while some do not.

Zakalwe

Banned
This thread sickens me. Its a perfect example of the double standards white people are propped up with when they spout bullshit.

It's a perfect example of people focusing on one issue and dismissing the other, then accusing others of doing that very thing when they suggest there's more to it.

This is not like the majority of footage we see of racist incidents. Most of the time the person doesn't display such overt reactions that have very clear parallels with extremely serious mental health issues.

Dismissing the discussion here because it's common for white people to make excuses for racism is not the right move.

Aselith

That lady wandering into the video saying "Can anyone help him? I think she's causing problems" is killing me. She's 10th level Black Belt mastery of the obvious lol

Really sorry for all the people aurally assaulted by this lady. Just trying to go about your day and buy some low priced products and then you have to be assailed by this racist shitbag.

Top Bottom