• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman Goes on Racist Rant at Target

Zakalwe

Banned
What I'm saying is You're much more concerned with making sure we know she is mentally ill than fighting her racism

You guys are the ones who are actually putting your fingers in your ears

The last thing I'm saying to you is this: everyone can read the thread, your posts very clearly show you have no interest in an actual discussion /and/ that you're not reading the content of the posts you're replying to.

OK. FINE. You win, just so we can stop going in circles.

She's racist, and mentally ill.

Can we focus on the racist part for just a moment now please?

Jesus...

The last thing I'm saying to you is this: everyone can read the thread, your posts very clearly show you have no interest in an actual discussion /and/ that you're not reading the content of the posts you're replying to.

Jesus...

Well, I'm currently attempting, as others are, to steer this conversation away from that argument and back to actual discussion.

What would this thread be if the mentally ill vs racist debate never started?

Kyoufu

Because whether mentally ill or not, she's cognitive enough to be aware of situations around her and is old enough to know better.

The mentally ill are not fucking stupid. Many of them can get by in social situations without flying off the handle. So to lay this on her mental issues, that she might not have, is fucking insulting to those who suffer from it.

So you're saying mentally ill people can't have episodes or outbursts in public? I'm not sure what you're saying here, because my mother who suffers from schizophrenia has had numerous episodes in social situations. None of which I want to re-live tbh.

yuoke

Banned
Well, I'm currently attempting, as others are, to steer this conversation away from that argument and back to actual discussion.

What would this thread be if the mentally ill vs racist debate never started?

There's not much to say. She is racist, racism is bad, she is also likely mentally ill and needs help. Like there is nothing more to say about it.

NoName999

There's like a whole thread about dealing with mental issues with thousands of posts.

Wow.... one. :|

And from the looks of it, none of the "It's mental health, guys" here are posting in THAT topic.

AND looking at that topic, the reoccurring posters are ticked off that people assume that they're crazy and that they'll fly off at the drop of a hat.

Meanwhile how many topics about white racists have been hijacked with the excuse "They're mentally ill"?

So yeah, dude. GAF doesn't care, they just want to protect white racists for some weird reaosn.

nvm
So you're saying mentally ill people can't have episodes or outbursts in public? I'm not sure what you're saying here, because my mother who suffers from schizophrenia has had numerous episodes in social situations. None of which I want to re-live tbh.

If your mom is having a schizophrenic episode, do you think she would be cognizant enough to not only realize that's she's being detained but to also bargain saying she'll leave if they let go?

My grandmother had schizophrenia towards the end of her life and when she had an episode she was never cognizant enough to understand what's going on.

I realize it's different for everyone so that's why I'm asking in earnest.

There's not much to say. She is racist, racism is bad, she is also likely mentally ill and needs help. Like there is nothing more to say about it.

Exactly. Because people aren't actually interested in having conversations about race or mental illness. They just want to argue and deflect.

I'm not even trying to say I'm not guilty of it too. Yes, I maintained the position through the argument that mental illness is a complete cop out answer because I legitimately felt that it was an attempt to derail this topic away from race, which it did successfully, however intentional or intentional that was.

And now that the argument is over, the only answer left is "there's nothing to talk about"?

yuoke

Banned

And from the looks of it, none of the "It's mental health, guys" here are posting in THAT topic.

AND looking at that topic, the reoccurring posters are ticked off that people assume that they're crazy and that they'll fly off at the drop of a hat.

Meanwhile how many topics about white racists have been hijacked with the excuse "They're mentally ill"?

So yeah, dude. GAF doesn't care, they just want to protect white racists for some weird reaosn.

Even though almost everyone in this thread are saying she is racist and mentally ill.

Kyoufu

If your mom is having a schizophrenic episode, do you think she would be cognizant enough to not only realize that's she's being detained but to also bargain saying she'll leave if they let go?

My grandmother had schizophrenia towards the end of her life and when she had an episode she was never cognizant enough to understand what's going on.

I realize it's different for everyone so that's why I'm asking in earnest.

The times where I've talked to my mom about some of the things she did she didn't really reply with much. I'm not sure if she remembers or not. Not sure if I want to bring those moments up again.

Although, I shouldn't really call it an "episode". She wasn't diagnosed with schizophrenia at the time so she wasn't on medication, therefore it was a constant thing to deal with back then.

Zakalwe

Banned
How long until "mental illness" gets used as an excuse for cops to kill black people?

It would 100% be used as an excuse by the people you'd expect to use it right now if presented with the opportunity.

Not sure what that has to do with /this/ thread, though...

yuoke

Banned
How long until "mental illness" gets used as an excuse for cops to kill black people?

Way to go to the extreme of comparing a cop killing someone to someone clearly mentally unstable going into target and throwing stuff and yelling who also is racist.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Yeah, that's bullshit. Many on GAF are calling out that behaviour and saying the exact opposite, like yourself. You're acting like you're not a member of this forum saying exactly that.

Slayven

It would 100% be used as an excuse by the people you'd expect to use it right now if presented with the opportunity.

Not sure what that has to do with /this/ thread, though...

Folks ignoring on the street racism, will usually bend over backwards to ignore institutional. Dilynn Roof's killings was framed as mental illness/attack on religion until they found his essay that says "I want to kill some black people".

Way to go to the extreme of comparing a cop killing someone to someone clearly mentally unstable going into target and throwing stuff and yelling who also is racist.
Cause it is all apart of America

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah, that's bullshit. Many on GAF are calling out that behaviour and saying the exact opposite, like yourself. You're acting like you're not a member of this forum saying exactly that.

And no one ITT is "protecting white racists".

Unless you can show me the post history of people that proves they have an agenda, all I'm seeing is people saying the mental health issues here appear to be very real to the point it seems to be the primary cause for the incident.

That's not dismissing racism. Dismissing racism is an incredibly stupid conclusion to draw here.

The times where I've talked to my mom about some of the things she did she didn't really reply with much. I'm not sure if she remembers or not. Not sure if I want to bring those moments up again.

Although, I shouldn't really call it an "episode". She wasn't diagnosed with schizophrenia at the time so she wasn't on medication, therefore it was a constant thing to deal with back then.

Word. My grandmother never really remembered. Well she'd remember up to right before an episode started then anything that happened after she regained her mental faculties.

And no one ITT is "protecting white racists".

Unless you can show me the post history of people that proves they have an agenda, all I'm seeing is people saying the mental health issues here appear to be very real to the point it seems to be the primary cause for the incident.

That's not dismissing racism. Dismissing racism is an incredibly stupid conclusion to draw here.

This is a legitimate honest question, is this thread really only good for arguing over which cause of this woman's outburst is the primary one?

yuoke

Banned
If we now know with perfect certainty that she's mentally ill, what condition does this woman have, exactly?

No one knows 100% for sure she is, and no way anyone could tell for sure what she could have. That is the whole point of this argument, people want her to get help. Maybe she could overtime get better, and maybe even potentially learn her racism is bad.

MIMIC

Banned
LOL, just watching the beginning to where she was apprehended. Everyone was oddly calm about the whole ordeal.

Zakalwe

Banned
Folks ignoring on the street racism, will usually bend over backwards to ignore institutional. Dilynn Roof's killings was framed as mental illness/attack on religion until they found his essay that says "I want to kill some black people".

I mean, I'm with you but I'm still not sure what your position is ITT...

Are you calling out posts like mine? I'm finding it hard to tell.

spock

Personally, in a case like this, I ask myself, "if she acted the way she did without using racial slurs would she still seem crazy"? To me, the answer is a yes here. She's probably a racist on top of being mentally ill or on drugs, but I think it's pretty clear there's some other issue primarily driving her actions, meaning mental illness or drugs.

As for schizophrenia or similar conditions, there are levels of experience and awareness the person can have along with degrees of response and interactions they may have with the hallucination or delusion.

Zakalwe

Banned
Mental issue? Possibly.

Racist POS. Absolutely.

The latter is not absolutely true at all.

People can be impaired to the point they have no control over their actions, and all they're doing is running on learned behaviours lacking the mental capacity to actually change.

Not saying that's what's happening here, but it /does/ happen.

Her actions are racist, 100%. She obviously has learned racist behaviour, 100%. Is she responsible for her behaviour enough to call her a Racist POS?

Mental health is never that black and white, and it's a real shame some of you are getting caught up in the idea we're somehow defending a racist when we mention this truth.

And the reason we're doing that with this video is that, to some of us with limited experience, her behaviour and reactions look very much in line with what we know of mental illness. Unless you can pull up poster's history and show they do this often on racism footage I don't think there's much of a case here to be made that this is a standard case of the "mental health" card being played to defend a racist.

Kelsdesu

The latter is not absolutely true at all.

People can be impaired to the point they have no control over their actions, and all they're doing is running on learned behaviours lacking the mental capacity to actually change.

Not saying that's what's happening here, but it /does/ happen.

Her actions are racist, 100%. She obviously has learned racist behaviour, 100%. Is she responsible for her behaviour enough to call her a Racist POS?

Mental health is never that black and white, and it's a real shame some of you are getting caught up in the idea we're somehow defending a racist when we mention this truth.

And the reason we're doing that with this video is that, to some of us with limited experience, her behaviour and reactions look very much in line with what we know of mental illness. Unless you can pull up poster's history and show they do this often on racism footage I don't think there's much of a case here to be made that this is a standard case of the "mental health" card being played to defend a racist.

Mental illness is indeed not binary. That being said I respectfully disagree.

She had enough control of her faculties to bargain with the security guard to let her go, so yes I stand behind my statement.

Zakalwe

Banned
Mental illness is indeed not binary. That being said I respectfully disagree.

She had enough control of her faculties to bargain with the security guard to let her go, so yes I stand behind my statement.

She wasn't bargaining, she was desperately repeating the same thing over and over.

Or are you really proposing her behaviour, tone, expression, etc... while she's repeating this phrase is indicative of a rational mind?

This is a legitimate honest question, is this thread really only good for arguing over which cause of this woman's outburst is the primary one?
What would you like the thread to talk about instead? If you have a different thing you'd like to talk about in relation to the story, then lead the way.

Damn. Didn't think this thread would still be going on, for this long. Let me add my 2c.

I've been around people with mental illness for most of my life. I personally suffer from Bipolar disorder, had a friend in grade school that suffered from tourettes, and an older friend that was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia.

I'm OC and they are white. Never, in any instance, have I heard an utterance of racial epitaphs. That is simply because they weren't taught these behaviors/words. Racism is learned behavior. If during an episode, you start spewing racist rhetoric, you are a racist with a mental health issue. You chose to be racist, you did not choose to have a diagnosis.

In this video, her mental health issue is an aside, because she can always get treatment for her (probable) schizophrenia, but there is no pill to fix racism. She may have a MHP on call for her problems and decided not to/forgot to take her medication this week. She would still be a racist, even with her meds.

With all that, why is her mental condition even an issue? There is no disorder available that forces you to be racist. Even Zakalwe's example of Traumatic Brain Injury had innocuous, non-race-specific verbiage attached to it. There is no real excuse for racist tirades ever, full stop.

Top Bottom