• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman records boyfriend after getting shot by the Police on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Pretty sure you'll be alright if you don't leave your vehicle and attack a police officer. I don't think that's race specific.

The man who died in the OP's video did none of those things and still got killed, what's your point?

Being a cop comes with poor pay, tons of responsibility, lots of danger, and constant exposure to some worst of the worst in society. I can't imagine the impact of seeing some of the horrible stuff they see on a regular basis. Add that to the overall negative image of cops by the public plus the media attention, it has to be difficult to recruit. I mean who would want to be a cop these days?

But there are people that want to be cops. They grow up wanting to be one. So they know what that all means. Just as there are others that grow up wanting to be in the military. Neither are what anyone would view as being an easy job, but there are people that want those careers. You can find people that can do both jobs really well and won't break the law, but you can also find people like this officer or the one in the Alton case or countless others. It's always going to be impossible to never have a bad egg in the bunch. But there's no way in hell that there should be this many.

I don't know how much training can stop blatant racial profiling though. If you get all nervous because the guy you pulled over has dark skin then you probably shouldn't be in law enforcement and wielding a lethal weapon.

The problem starts at the top of the command. Just last year a cop was fired when it was "discovered" that he was part of a white supremacist group. I say "discovered" because according to him the police force actually knew of his affiliation before he was hired. He was part of the group years before becoming a cop. He was only fired after the Southern Poverty Law Center did comes research and made it public that he was a white supremacist. Which means you've got an issue where the system is literally broken. So how do you fix something that's as big and broken as that?

Maebe

I can't believe the bastard is still pointing his gun at the guy after shooting him multiple times instead of administering first aid. Fuck the police.
edit Oh god the daughter trying to console her mom.

Camwi

At what point does this country erupt into anarchy? Seriously, it seems like that's the direction we're headed because this shit is just getting worse and worse. The POLICE are getting away with MURDERING civilians. It's like we're stuck in some fucking dystopian novel.

Nosgotham

God I fucking hate cops

you hate all cops become some suck? there are plenty of good people who are cops. this shit sucks but for every shitty cop, theres a dozen great cops. just like people. we get riled up at the these incidents, and rightfully so, but its not the norm even though it may feel like. in my town cops do great work in all communities. now, the town i grew up in that whole department was corrupt as shit.

Fuck is this bullshit?

Ive had guns pulled on me for eating chicken nuggets at 4pm in a McDonald's parking lot.

yep, ive had guns pulled on me on two separate occasions. once after being pulled over for inspection on my car bring expired. two cops screaming, point guns. terrifying. i still dont know why. they did tgat as they approached the vehicle.

So what's left on the list black people can do and not get shot/killed?
Already being dead I guess.

Am I really going to point out facts? Yeah. It's what happened. That has nothing to do with race.
Please point out facts. Go the fuck ahead.

you hate all cops become some suck? there are plenty of good people who are cops. this shit sucks but for every shitty cop, theres a dozen great cops. just like people. we get riled up at the these incidents, and rightfully so, but its not the norm even though it may feel like. in my town cops do great work in all communities. now, the town i grew up in that whole department was corrupt as shit.
You know what we never see when this bullshit happens? Other cops calling it out.
So yeah, maybe it's just 1% of murderous racists, but what are the other 99% doing?

krazen

The man who died in the OP's video did none of those things and still got killed, what's your point?

yup. And people like him ARE the problem. At least you can argue the cops are dealing with bad training, subconscious racism, and a fear of losing their jobs for speaking out.

*kanye shrug* attitudes like that are needed for atrocities to happen; just stand by and ignore what happens as long as it doesnt affect them.

Which is why disruptive protests work. Put em on the far side of city hall where no one has to deal with them, its all "Well in fine, so we dont have a problem". When it interrupts their grocery shopping MAYBE they might pay a bit more attention.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Violent protests have shown to have accomplished nothing.

We need massive peaceful protests if anything's ever gonna change.

Also.

Fuck that cop and everyone that stands behind him.

Almost every massive change in the US had founding in Violent protests. It actually has shown to be very effect and quick in getting change. Specifically because those people in power suddenly realize that no amount of "law" is going to protect them from a mob.

The reason why police can continue this is because there are no consequences for their actions. The laws protect them and they protect themselves. Eventually, something is going to break. Either it will get violent between police and citizens or a cop will fuck up and shoot someone they aren't supposed to too(i.e. a rich white girl) and suddenly have too much pressure from top down. But as long as they are killing poor black people, nothing is going to change sadly enough.

I didn't realize this was here in Minnesota. What an incredibly shitty situation.

Many cops in the area probably still have the attack from last month on their mind, so it doesn't surprise me that cops are being more cautious when responding to calls.

But at the same time this guy obviously took it way too far. Shooting a guy still in the car with a kid in the back? With seemingly no justification?

Idiots like this shouldn't even be hired and all they do is give other police officers a bad rep.

Gattsu25

Banned
Pretty sure you'll be alright if you don't leave your vehicle and attack a police officer. I don't think that's race specific.
Philando Castile was still murdered despite following your advice.
I didn't realize this was here in Minnesota. What an incredibly shitty situation.

Many cops in the area probably still have the attack from last month on their mind, so it doesn't surprise me that cops are being more cautious when responding to calls.

But at the same time this guy obviously took it way too far. Shooting a guy still in the car with a kid in the back? With seemingly no justification?

Idiots like this shouldn't even be hired and all they do is give other police officers a bad rep.
Unless the other officers speak out about this one (and all the many others thereafter), they're just as bad in my eyes.

Camwi

As long as the good cops keep defending the bad cops, I'm comfortable lumping them all together.

I remember my older brother getting fucked over by a crooked cop decades ago. All the other cops showed up to court to show support for the asshole.

Other Police Officers standing up for their own pretty much no matter what gives them a bad rep.

Nosgotham

Please point out facts. Go the fuck ahead.

You know what we never see when this bullshit happens? Other cops calling it out.
So yeah, maybe it's just 1% of murderous racists, but what are the other 99% doing?

not getting fired so they can support their families is my guess.

As long as the good cops keep defending the bad cops, I'm comfortable lumping them all together.

I remember my older brother getting fucked over by a crooked cop decades ago. All the other cops showed up to court to show support for the asshole.

literally the same thing happened to me. our whole family moved out of that town it was disgusting. the whole small town was corrupt as shit. our whole family was being harrasssed after my brother got off on the bullshit charges. but like i said earlier im proud of my local cops now. its night and day. so its hard to hear ''fuck all cops'' when you know there are a lot of good ones out there.

This is one of the craziest things I have ever watched. The panic of the cop. Her steely calmness to protect her and her child. The assumptions by the arriving police . The new media.

This feels either fake or truly important.
Hopefully this one is a game changer, but I tend to think that every time.

I am so tired of this shit.

BriGuy

Fixing this shit is obviously going to take a lot of time and willpower that isn't there yet, but what can you do in the interim? Should we arm the cops with rubber bullets by default? Tazers only? They've got way too much power over life and death as it currently stands.

not getting fired so they can support their families is my guess.
So they're effectively condoning this bullshit and empowering it. In other words, they're part of the problem. As long as they'll be, they can't complain about the entirely fair perception they receive.

Never mind that people saying bad things about you isn't in the same league as risking being killed just because you might run into a cop.

Can you link the source for those stats? Want to read it. Thanks
There you go : http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/

Infinite

yep, ive had guns pulled on me on two separate occasions. once after being pulled over for inspection on my car bring expired. two cops screaming, point guns. terrifying. i still dont know why. they did tgat as they approached the vehicle.
Nope fuck that, the police are an institution. the good cops needs to be responsible for the bad ones and the institution needs to start culling bad behavior and bad cops from its ranks. until that happens I will keep saying fuck the police. Cause it's not about good and bad cops it's about the instution that effectively breeds bad cops while the "good" cops stand idly by.

krazen

I'm pretty sure his opinion belongs in a different thread about a different police shooting incident. He's very confused.

The fact this sentence exists about "different police shooting threads" is the most depressing thing here.

He would be wrong in those threads also

Nosgotham

So they're effectively condoning this bullshit and empowering it. In other words, they're part of the problem. As long as they'll be, they can't complain about the entirely fair perception they receive.

Never mind that people saying bad things about you isn't in the same league as risking being killed just because you might run into a cop.

There you go : http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/

yeah i totally get that. i'm sure they know going they arent gonna be the most liked lol. i'm in the camp that thinks every cop should have a shoulder cam mounted. it needs to be mandated. this lady was smart to live feed it

At what point does this country erupt into anarchy? Seriously, it seems like that's the direction we're headed because this shit is just getting worse and worse. The POLICE are getting away with MURDERING civilians. It's like we're stuck in some fucking dystopian novel.

This has already happened. Riots are what happens when the community simply can't tolerate being fed bullshit over and over and over again. Like the statement the county prosecutor gave after the officers were cleared for Tamir Rice's murder.

The DoJ came out with an exhaustive report which hammered home the fact the entire Ferguson PD was corrupt and racist from top to bottom, and half the country still says, "well why are those people so angry? Justice was done, the courts decided!"

Riots will keep happening the more ubiquitous high definition recording equipment becomes. Two-faced explanations of what people can see clear as day will not be sufficient. You'd think America would learn by now (the Newark riots were in 1967 iirc), but 50 years later we still think condescension to entire communities to protect a few scumbags is a viable way to do business.

Iorv3th

He told the cop he had a gun in the vehicle (from what the lady said) which is what you are supposed to do. But in most cases doesn't the cop then ask you to get out of the vehicle with your hands up? I know a few people that happened to and the cops then got the gun out of the vehicle and unloaded it before checking licenses etc. Which the cop should have told him what to do, sounds like he didn't.

Vooduu

Tired of people saying "there's just a few bad apples". Sure when it's localized and maybe happening in one spot but when this shit has been publicized on multiple accounts across the country, it's time to rise up and find a solution on how police officers are being trained across the country.

I've met many good officers and worked with some during my CO-OPs and work, but the killing of civilians around the country is a systematic problem that has to be dealt with before the country dwelves into anarchy.

Oh man you've figured it all out, it's too bad you couldn't have spoken to Mr. Castile beforehand. Maybe he would have thought twice before he left his vehicle and attacked a police officer. Obviously.

He told the cop he had a gun in the vehicle (from what the lady said) which is what you are supposed to do. But in most cases doesn't the cop then ask you to get out of the vehicle with your hands up? I know a few people that happened to and the cops then got the gun out of the vehicle and unloaded it before checking licenses etc.

Most cops in these situations do their job poorly or incorrectly, and when they don't follow protocol and it results in a situation that they dont know how to respond to or is escalated, they feel their only recourse is deadly force.

It doesn't really matter what you're supposed to do because most cops in these kind of tragedies aren't actually doing their jobs correctly.

Wait, three? I was aware of this one and Baton Rouge. What's the third one?

The one where the guy actually got out of his car and punched and off duty cop through a driver side window. NYC I think?

That's not what happened here. But that poster seems to be getting them jumbled, or implying if that incident justifies this one?

Davey Cakes

Is that even true? Have cops not pumped bullets into dead bodies just to make sure?

Truly horrible what happened. Live streaming to FB is only going to expose these types of incidents even more, and that's a good thing. We all need a shot of reality. You can only read about it so much before you just have to see it.

Demoskinos

x0hZLvF.gif

I mean jesus. Wtf is wrong with the police in your country

A combination of racism and stupid motherfuckers signing up to be a cop because they wanna go play fucking cowboy and have a free licence to kill.

I mean fuck I get that being a cop and confronting suspects CAN potentially be dangerous but when a staggering majority of the dead from cop shootings are non-white folks? Yeah. That speaks volumes.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What reason do they have to be fearful?

Well, the fact that any citizen can carry a weapon is a big one, i'd wager. I'd be more jumpy too if I knew that anyone i'd encounter could very well be packing heat.

I mean, you don't see police officers approaching cars with their hand on their holsters where I live because it's simply unnecessary. Same with the 'both hands outside the vehicle and lay on the ground' initial approach. Cops are just human beings that pop their heads through your window and ask what's up. I have a lot of respect for my local law enforcement.

I have a feeling that this heightened vigilance in law enforcement is a direct effect of your loose gun laws. These boys in blue apparently think it's kill or be killed even in situations where they are just pulling over a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom