• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman records boyfriend after getting shot by the Police on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish you guys weren't so mean to people who have ignorance, especially those who seem to understand that what they said is wrong. I mean, the attacks are so vicious and coming constantly.

Tatsumi Oga, the the problem wasn't necessarily that you posted a video from a person who apparently is racist and whatnot (since you said this was the first video you watched from him). The problem is that you bring up "he's not an angel" in the first place. Why? Because it has zero bearing on the outcome. His past record in no way excuses the behavior of the cop, so bringing up that "he's no angel" just stifles the discussion on a very real problem.

Stop ✋ He knew wtf he was doing and came in right away with the bullshit. Don't play with people's intelligence.. This isn't a child... Well in fact, it just may be.. But this shit is completely unacceptable especially if the person who posts it themselves DIDN'T FACT CHECK who it was coming from... So the fighting willful purposeful ignorance with patience obviously was not happening with the opening sentence of that post.. Please...

Order

You don't have to teach him. I'm just saying I don't like the type of responses he's receiving and feel like its counterproductive.
A lot of us don't have the patience to treat people who spout the same ignorant garbage we hear in every situation like this with kindness.

At this point, they know damn well what they're saying is wrong.

You don't have to teach him. I'm just saying I don't like the type of responses he's receiving and feel like its counterproductive.

Read this. Twice:
He tried to justify a man getting murdered in front of his kid. That deserves nothing but disgust at best

I really don't have any patience left in me. I've said it before and say it again people are not stupid. Can put a man on the moon but can't understand racism?

I wish you guys weren't so mean to people who have ignorance, especially those who seem to understand that what they said is wrong. I mean, the attacks are so vicious and coming constantly.

Tatsumi Oga, the the problem wasn't necessarily that you posted a video from a person who apparently is racist and whatnot (since you said this was the first video you watched from him). The problem is that you bring up "he's not an angel" in the first place. Why? Because it has zero bearing on the outcome. His past record in no way excuses the behavior of the cop, so bringing up that "he's no angel" just stifles the discussion on a very real problem.

I shouldn;t have said it at all because you're right, it doesn't really add much at all.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to educate you. There are plenty of threads on GAF which have people clearly explaining this. But I'm not heartless so I'll provide you with some links to get started.

Don't reply back to me until you've read the following;
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2015-10-29/policing-and-oppression-have-a-long-history

http://www.crf-usa.org/black-history-month/a-brief-history-of-jim-crow

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...nt-tulsa-race-massacre-1921-180959251/?no-ist

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/16/malcolm-london-black-on-black-crime_n_5683174.html

I am going to read these links. Thanks for providing me with them.

The dudes facts are nonsense. Even if they weren't, the 'no angel' argument that is used over and over to slander innocent dead folk would still not justify being gunned down in cold blood

Agreed on that, this is completely on me. I should not have brought that up and also my not so great way of wording things.

And again, i am not a victim of anything here. I am simply stating that this is all on me. My bad. Simple as that. I am willing to learn from my mistakes and next time i will do careful research before posting a video.

But he said he WASN'T justifying it. He needs to know why his understanding of these events is poor and skewed by the wrong people.

No way in hell would i ever justify such a thing. And i said this numerous times but that clearly got ignored.

Slayven

A lot of us don't have the patience to treat people who spout the same ignorant garbage we hear in every situation like this with kindness.

At this point, they know damn well what they're saying is wrong.

And they know why it is wrong or else they wouldn't have by the book racist talking points. Literally you can check them off of a greatest hits checklist

I meant his clearly pro-police talk. Don't comply, get shot. Something along those lines. I don't agree at all with that. That is one of the things i meant man. I don't share his overall way of thinking. The way he presented his video he seemed to have done a lot of fact checking, but that's why i say seemed, because i am definitely not sure. That's why i say..''if'' that criminal record is true, it sure doesn't look like the poster child his family portrays him as. That;s the only thing i meant.I am not backtracking at all, i am simply clarifying what i meant.

Nothing else was meant by that for me, in no way is any of that justifyable to kill someone. But i'll leave it at this. I have tried to 'repair' my not so great way of saying things, people don't believe me , that much is clear and it is what it is. And anyone now saying ''poor me...sweet child'' yeah ok, i am not a victim at all here and i know damn well i am wrong. Ok? Ok!
WHY DOES THIS FUCKING MATTER!? What's your point in bringing up this information? How is it relevant to anything other than trying to victim blame? Do you have a compulsion to make sure everyone is informed of all things at all time no matter how mundane?

"Guys, guys, guy! His family said he loved chocolate ice cream but it appears there's a record of him always buying VANILLA! What do you think of this?"

dafuq man?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Being willfully ignorant is counter productive. He had all the resources available to him to make an intelligent post.

But that was forgone for a more, "Hey GAF, he wasn't such an angel after all." Post.

If you play that willfully ignorant card, no one should kindly show you why it is wrong.

No, they should drag you through hell and back till you realize. I was a fucking idiot, maybe I should fact check when I make posts and subject matters I don't understand.

But he said he WASN'T justifying it. He needs to know why his understanding of these events is poor and skewed by the wrong people.

He already knows. You are being played to feel sympathy for someone who KNOWS. Like really? We are doing this? Babying someone who literally knows wtf they did wrong from the jump and purposely came in here with intent to rile?

Slayven

I want you guys to watch this video and tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJPFdS6SSgQ

Unless the dude's ''facts'' are nonsense and he does seem to do a lot of fact checking, Sterling was far from an angel. Had tons of run ins with the law, did plenty of time, certainly didn't seem to learn from his mistakes and really wasn't that good guy his family claimed he was. The guy also says he clearly was reaching for a gun....and that there was a gun. Was there after all?

Also some revealing stuff about Philando Castille, but especially about his girlfriend. I hope you guys watched it, because i sure found it interesting

0fe.jpg

Merc_

Pulling the "he was no angel" shit is all about justifying death. Tats knows full well what he was doing and nothing he's posted gives me any reason to believe otherwise.

No way in hell would i ever justify such a thing. And i said this numerous times but that clearly got ignored.

It wasn't ignored, people were simply looking at what you were actually doing rather than accepting what you said you were doing.

As the thread was not called "Man killed by police was an angel," attempting to attack Sterling's character serves one and only one purpose, regardless of whether or not you have the backbone to admit it.

VanWinkle

It's sounds like a guy whose opinions on things like this are skewed by the people around him.

I mean, I guess if you guys want to yell at him, you can. I just don't think it accomplishes anything. I want to believe there are some people who hear things from the wrong people and are just ignorant of the facts and of a broader logic.

Slayven

It's sounds like a guy whose opinions on things like this are skewed by the people around him.

I mean, I guess if you guys want to yell at him, you can. I just don't think it accomplishes anything. I want to believe there are some people who hear things from the wrong people and are just ignorant of the facts and of a broader logic.

There are those people, and then there are people that just parrot white supremacist talking points with full knowledge of where they come from.

VanWinkle

There are those people, and then there are people that just parrot white supremacist talking points with full knowledge of where they come from.

There are definitely those people, too. I just figure that if I explain to him why his thinking is illogical, he can either learn from it or disregard it. Because of that, I figure I might as well try I just know the other option presented here, which is like twenty people yelling at him, couldn't possibly accomplish anything.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
NP. It's what I'm here for....

heh....sigh
tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

There are definitely those people, too. I just figure that if I explain to him why his thinking is illogical, he can either learn from it or disregard it. Because of that, I figure I might as well try I just know the other option presented here, which is like twenty people yelling at him, couldn't possibly accomplish anything.

Minorities shouldn't have to educate people on why they are racially ignorant or prejudiced.

Also it does seem that being torn to shreds got through to him.

Unbounded

Yknow, there's a quote floating around somewhere about it being better to assume ignorance instead of malice. I'm pretty sure this is one of those cases.

Depending on what your actual goals are in a discussion, it wouldn't hurt to assume the former more often than the latter.

Not ashamed to admit i am probably one of those. I also really don't follow any kind of news a lot so in that way i am ignorant on a lot of stuff. That has been my decision for a long time now.

I will keep saying this because it simply is the truth even if people here are going to say i am justifying murders like these, i really am not. Has not been my intention at all, not one bit.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, guess the mods have given him time to research his next forray into posting about race.

Literal "he was no angel." Good God lmao. That has surpassed "Some of my best friends are black" as the calling card of the racist.

I see he got banned.

VanWinkle

tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Minorities shouldn't have to educate people on why they are racially ignorant or prejudiced.

Also it does seem that being torn to shreds got through to him.

Of COURSE it shouldn't be on minorities. Plenty of white people know why what he said it wrong, too (like me). I don't have any problem telling him. I'm just saying SOMEBODY should tell him, just in case he really is just ignorant of the issue, not that the onus should be on the minority.

zoku88

There's no excuse for being ignorant in modern times. People have plenty of opportunity to educate themselves if they really care.

Apt101

First off, I no longer believe the first story cops come up with anymore. They want to represent the events in a certain way - maybe not the cops on the ground, but the brass, at least. I'm not suggesting that they all lie, but I think recent events have shown that they will present the "facts" in a calculated manner that places them in the best light.

Second, this "no angel" shit really bothers me. It suggests that because a person wasn't the holiest of holies that they deserved to die, for whatever reason - like selling loose cigarettes. It's OK that nice man was choked to death by a gang of assholes, he deserved it, he may have earned $20 or $30 from selling cigarettes illegally. It also suggests that our prison system is worthless, that no one can be rehabilitated.

commedieu

Banned

This isn't a person who simply had questions. They came posting from authority of a situation, posted racist bullshit, then feigned ignorance. All camouflaged with the usual --- I found this, what do you all think because I think it's valid enough to post for a discussion, that I haven't even bothered to read.

Google is there for everyone to find non racist sources. Pretending they're just gee ole golly misinformed is insulting. People get educated on gaf all the time. You ask about something you don't know, not post a video like it's a smoking gun to get opinions about how blown everyone's mind is and how their position needs to be reconsidered.

Believing someone's past had anything to do with this exact situation is more than Mammoth can address or anyone else with links. It's their lifestyle to victim blame like this. Then, the bullshit links.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't a person who simply had questions. They came posting from authority of a situation, posted racist bullshit, then feigned ignorance. All camouflaged with the usual --- I found this what do you all think because I think it's valid enough to post for a discussion, that I haven't even bothered to read.

Google is there for everyone to find non racist sources. Pretending they're just gee ole golly misinformed is insulting. People get educated on gaf all the time. You ask about something you don't know, not post a video like it's a smoking gun to get opinions about how blown everyone's mind is and how their position needs to be reconsidered.

Believing someone's past had anything to do with this exact situation is more than Mammoth can address. It's their lifestyle to victim blame like this. Then, the bullshit links.

Well said.

VanWinkle

There's no excuse for being ignorant in modern times. People have plenty of opportunity to educate themselves if they really care.

There isn't any excuse, but for some reason there are still ignorant people.

This isn't a person who simply had questions. They came posting from authority of a situation, posted racist bullshit, then feigned ignorance. All camouflaged with the usual --- I found this, what do you all think because I think it's valid enough to post for a discussion, that I haven't even bothered to read.

Believing someone's past had anything to do with this exact situation is more than Mammoth can address or anyone else with links. It's their lifestyle to victim blame like this. Then, the bullshit links.

Let me be clear: his original post that got called out on was terrible. But I've seen people like this. People who act like they know what they're talking about because they live in a bubble surrounded by like-minded individuals. They don't try to look elsewhere because they don't understand the other side. It all comes from lack of being around other kinds of people and seeing the humanity in them. It's really unfortunate, but I can't YELL at him because of his post. I can only attempt to help him find understanding and hope he heeds it. If not, well, there's nothing I can do about that.

Pretty much. I'm just cynical about it.

Let me be clear: his original post that got called out on was terrible. But I've seen people like this. People who act like they know what they're talking about because they live in a bubble surrounded by like-minded individuals. They don't try to look elsewhere because they don't understand the other side. It all comes from lack of being around other kinds of people and seeing the humanity in them. It's really unfortunate, but I can't YELL at him because of his post. I can only attempt to help him find understanding and hope he heeds it. If not, well, there's nothing I can do about that.

That video was bile and the double, hell, quadrupling down on how it was "interesting" was not naive or anything of the sort. Dude did it entirely to rile up people on gaf. He knows it's racist, he knows what the response would be and he was getting a hard on off his own "purity" in the face of gaf's "race baiters"

People like this in real life are racists. They are not nice people lacking exposure to others. This shit is literal racism and deflection. The whole "if you weren't a criminal you wouldn't be dead" argument is made by piece of shit human beings. Plain and simple. You don't need to live in the hood to know a traffic stop shouldn't end with someone bleeding out in their car seat.

commedieu

Banned

I know a lot of people in bubbles too. Their lives are comfortable without my intervention. Those that are genuinely curious, have a vastly different approach. This isn't what this person did. The truly curious look into it themselves, they find a way. There are a myriad of options. Some anecdotes won't change, others will. YELLING at someone means little when they are saying a person had it coming. So I don't see the trauma it's causing you, to keep trying to defend a blatant case of don't care enough to look into a literal 36 page thread on a forum they frequent, with specific communities.

If it makes you feel better to pretend that they represent your anecdote, and that you're dying on a cross to get all of these angry posters to feel sorry for this specific person or at least understand their racist links intentions, while ignoring all of the context of this person: not reading up on the thread, or the issues, posting complete bullshit, and having a preprogrammed idea that a past is reason enough to question whether or not people should feel outrage at this. - have at it. But do know that I can tell the difference as can most people thay deal with this every thread on gaf.

You're willing to ignore all of that, and keep insisting that you know people in bubbles, and they need help. So you are expert. As if no one else deals with people in bubbles. If they were truly seeking knowledge or a course correction, they wouldn't be banned.

You can only help those who are looking. Nothing about this person's posts suggested theyre the bigot with a heart of gold. Else people would have replied differently. Their first post was a major post framing their mindset. A lifetime bias. They'd have to get over that gigantic obstacle before being capable of a link changing their mind.

An entire thread didnt.

VanWinkle

I know a lot of people in bubbles too. Their lives are comfortable without my intervention. Those that are genuinely curious, have a vastly different approach. This isn't what this person did. The truly curious look into it themselves, they find a way. There are a myriad of options. Some anecdotes won't change, others will. YELLING at someone means little when they are saying a person had it coming. So I don't see the trauma it's causing you, to keep trying to defend a blatant case of don't care enough to look into a literal 36 page thread on a forum they frequent, with specific communities.

If it makes you feel better to pretend that they represent your anecdote, and that you're dying on a cross to get all of these angry posters to feel sorry for this specific person or at least understand their racist links intentions, while ignoring all of the context of this person: not reading up on the thread, or the issues, posting complete bullshit, and having a preprogrammed idea that a past is reason enough to question whether or not people should feel outrage at this. - have at it. But do know that I can tell the difference as can most people thay deal with this every thread on gaf.

You're willing to ignore all of that, and keep insisting that you know people in bubbles, and they need help. So you are expert. As if no one else deals with people in bubbles. If they were truly seeking knowledge or a course correction, they wouldn't be banned.

You can only help those who are looking. Nothing about this person's posts suggested theyre the bigot with a heart of gold. Else people would have replied differently. Their first post was a major post framing their mindset. A lifetime bias. They'd have to get over that gigantic obstacle before being capable of a link changing their mind.

An entire thread didnt.

I honestly cannot believe that you could possibly frame this as me trying to make myself look like the good guy and "die on the cross." It's clear that you're beyond cynical. I understand your cynicism. I won't take part in it, and I wanted to let my thoughts be known. I don't want anybody, even a guy with terrible views (I will not reduce a person's entire being to their bad parts and call him a terrible person), to feel bombarded and hated. Now that it's clear to me that nobody in here - at least those who replied to me - wants to try and give him understanding, I will leave it. I'm not saying any one person was wrong to call him out on his terrible post.

I honestly cannot believe that you could possibly frame this as me trying to make myself look like the good guy and "die on the cross." It's clear that you're beyond cynical. I understand your cynicism. I won't take part in it, and I wanted to let my thoughts be known. I don't want anybody, even a guy with terrible views (I will not reduce a person's entire being to their bad parts and call him a terrible person), to feel bombarded and hated. Now that it's clear to me that nobody in here - at least those who replied to me - wants to try and give him understanding, I will leave it. I'm not saying any one person was wrong to call him out on his terrible post.

We're veering into "Won't someone please think of the bigoted ignorant people!" territory....

Being a Dallas Cowboys fan is a terrible view.
Putting ketchup on eggs is a terrible view.
Driving a 1986 Camry on 22's is a terrible view.

That mofo wants to pretend he doesn't understand systematic oppression? FOH....

And yes, I am cynical. Because trying to politely explain shit to someone that didn't want to learn anyway is just an exercise in frustration.

VanWinkle

We're veering into "Won't someone please think of the bigoted ignorant people!" territory....

Being a Dallas Cowboys fan is a terrible view.
Putting ketchup on eggs is a terrible view.
Driving a 1986 Camry on 22's is a terrible view.

That mofo wants to pretend he doesn't understand systematic oppression? FOH....

And yes, I am cynical. Because trying to politely explain shit to someone that didn't want to learn anyway is just an exercise in frustration.

Those aren't terrible views unless you have a really broad view of what terrible is. Anyway, if you or commedieu or whoever truly think I am in the wrong for saying what I have, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or anybody.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Those aren't terrible views unless you have a really broad view of what terrible is. Anyway, if you or commedieu or whoever truly think I am in the wrong for saying what I have, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or anybody.

You saw his previous posts in this thread, yes? If so, then you realize by now that he had no intention of educating himself appropriately and was likely being completely insincere.

What you're missing here is that this isn't the first time he's tried this "no angel" bullshit, in this very thread. The first time he hid behind his "friends" feeding him misinformation. Second time is over a month later with a video from a racist nutjob he's pretending not to be familiar with, but thought had enough authority on the subject to bump the thread with.

His entire approach on this forum to Philando Castile and Alton Sterling has been passive aggressive victim blaming. I didn't think he deserved the benefit of the doubt the first time, why go to bat for him when he keeps doing it?

Enzom21

Oh good, we've reached the point in the thread where someone wags their condescending finger at people for not hand holding racists to more progressive views.

Curse your intolerance of the intolerant!

Bleepey

I don't care to search for it but some token black guy member they got talked about it on NPR.

I don't remember much, but i think what he was trying to argue was that people just jumped to conclusion that the NRA don't care about black gun owners, I was still left with the impression the NRA still does not care about black people and their 2nd amendment rights.

Colion Noir is an idiot. The level of cognitive dissonance exhibited is shocking. He talked about the NRA cared about black gun owners, because they rallied around black people in cases that suited their agenda and how Philando was just like him yet he doesn't seem to take note of the fact if a black man like him was shot they'd drag their feet before they didn't defend him. Even an NRA podcaster couldn't defend them on it, the NRA said wait and see and in that time all that was see is that he got caught with a bit of weed once, some speeding tickets, his busted taillight was not actually busted and he did have a concealed carry licence. And despite all this, not a word, either hot air or silence

FyreWulff

"He was no angel" is like the new "I'm not racist but..."

Been a while since I've seen someone not even double down, but triple down into it as well.

The vast majority of these people aren't ignorant, it's a well known tactict, and practically a script you can follow when you see it happen.

"I don't know, but, read/watch/listen to this..."

and then busted out "wasn't an angel" which is the "watered down" version of a racist mantra phrase that I won't post here, that basically says if you're non-white, you've committed a crime at some point and deserve what you get, even if you've never been caught doing one. Hell, one of the alt-right moderators of KiA has this phrase as their user flair. It's straight up a "white heritage" cornerstone.

The whole point is to get you to invest a bunch of time into explaining to them while they spent all of 2 seconds of time investment into the matter. It's trolling - the actual original definition of trolling, not the "it's just a prank bro" version.

The reason these posters get sent packing these days is there used to be threads where there were pages and pages and pages of circling around with that script. Mod team clearly feels like just fast forwarding to the end game of the circular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom