• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman wakes up after being dead 17 hours; Rigor Mortis had set in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Octave said:
Not too sure you can call this one a misdiagnoses if she was starting to riggor. I don't know if I believe this story though. Once you die, your body is ruined. Brain cells die, disconnecting your memory pathways. Your blood starts to coagulate, and your body begins to rot. Not to mention they put you in a freezer. You can't come back and make a full recovery from that.

Nothing is impossible, but I'm not going to dive headfirst into this one. Something is up. There's more to this that we aren't hearing.

Exactly. I keep an open mind...and the only way I could fully believe such as thing is if I was there and saw it with my own eyes.

bill0527 said:
Makes me rethink about being an organ donor if there's a chance.
Don't rethink it.

This is an extreme freak occurence. And they would have checked her again before harvesting any organs.

And even if they harvested organs and she died when she might have woke back up, well there will be many thousands of lives saved for each one possible slight chance of someone waking back up.

We are all gonna die and if you get the chance to give life to others when you go, what a great way to leave the stage. If I have an accident, I hope my organs are able to save some people. I've donated gallons of blood to help people already.

Story already made into a movie:

3423-large.jpg

Coster pulls off an awesome rigor mortis.

bill0527 said:
Makes me rethink about being an organ donor if there's a chance.
Gabrius said:
.....and this is why you don't donate your organs, people. In essence, her life was saved because there was an unforseen issue; the doctors couldn't immediately cut her open to remove her innards......
Her life was saved because she was an organ donor. Otherwise she would have been taken off the ventailation equipment right after she officially 'died' and that would have been the end of that.

way more

HyperZone<3 said:
Her life was saved because she was an organ donor. Otherwise she would have been taken off the ventailation equipment right after she officially 'died' and that would have been the end of that.

Oh. Burn!

Nolan.

speculawyer said:
Don't rethink it.

This is an extreme freak occurence. And they would have checked her again before harvesting any organs.

And even if they harvested organs and she died when she might have woke back up, well there will be many thousands of lives saved for each one possible slight chance of someone waking back up.

We are all gonna die and if you get the chance to give life to others when you go, what a great way to leave the stage. If I have an accident, I hope my organs are able to save some people. I've donated gallons of blood to help people already.

You viral marketer!.

mollipen

kbear said:
I bet she'll say that she remembers nothing while she was 'dead'... no heaven or anything, just a black abyss, because that's what's waiting for us, folks.

And you know that for certain because you've died and come back, right?

Fatbot

Banned
JayDubya said:
Soulstone. She was just really careful to make sure she wouldn't aggro anything when she came back.

:lol

This is when the main and OT come together in a perfect union.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Stinkles said:
Yeah you're right. Occam's Razor suggests it's more likely that an invisible omnipotent deity saved her so she could perform a special task.
How bout she hasnt been beheaded therefore she hasnt really died?

edit: fuck! beaten to the highlander reference. :(

Nolan.

madmook said:
Fucking awesome she now has her own personal theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqHcD6tv2po

Tut tut, it should be:

''Risin' up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a woman and her will to survive

So many times, it happens too fast
You change your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

CHORUS:
It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger

Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds 'til we take to the street
For we kill with the skill to survive

CHORUS

Risin' up, straight to the top
Have the guts, got the glory
Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
Just a woman and her will to survive

CHORUS

The eye of the tiger... ''

captive

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Good thing God is saving this lady and not the poor of Africa or the folks who have gone though the recent disasters in Asia.
"God already left Africa"

Pimpwerx

Scrow said:
truth is, no one knows what's waiting for us. that's the thing about death...

could be nothing, could be a land of clouds and a golden gate, could be a fairy floss mountain with unicorns and pink elephants. who knows?

no one.
Probably the same thing that happens when you're unconscious. I'm not sure why there's no "heaven" we go to when we're knocked, but it would dull the ensuing pain. PEACE.

TheLegend

radioheadrule83 said:
Something tells me what he has in store for her is... the dillusion of grandeur to believe that an almighty power saved her life for some greater purpose. Evangelism. Possible craziness.

Thanking God and being grateful is great an' all, cos ya never know, but I'd be freaking out about how close to being dead and having my organs stripped I was.. thanks to the hospital most likely.
Is it strange that I read all of your posts in my head with a British accent? It's very sexy. :p

shidoshi said:
Don't let her fool you, she's a god-damn zombie!
Just made me think of a novel twist on the zombie genre: one where the infected still keep their brain function after reanimation, but gradually lose it. Brilliant! Time to go write it.

Darko

HeartAttackJones said:
no miracle; this guy was her doctor
DrSpaceman.jpg

"that shot was just a placebo, I was hoping this was just pshyychological, he may not be faking it for attention"

"maybe you could inject adrenaline straight to his heart"
"id love to but wed have no way of knowing where the heart is, see every human is difffrent!"

"is it 411 or 911? hello, diabetes repair , i guess"

Javaman

Did she get rigor mortis and curled fingers before or after the "hypothermia" treatment?

Maybe the article timeline is a bit screwy.

Chû Totoro said:
Just think about where you were just before you were born.
No you won't go in a womb.... even before your dad's balls. Yeah that's it : nothing !

I'm sorry, this is a STUPID argument. Can I remember being in my mom's womb? No. Can I remember being half a sperm, half an egg? No. Can I even remember being born, or anything that happened for at least a year after that? No!

Does, does that mean that I was never a sperm, an egg, never gestated in a womb, and began life at the time my first memory takes place? Because that's what your logic says.

WordAssassin said:
I'm sorry, this is a STUPID argument. Can I remember being in my mom's womb? No. Can I remember being half a sperm, half an egg? No. Can I even remember being born, or anything that happened for at least a year after that? No!

Does, does that mean that I was never a sperm, an egg, never gestated in a womb, and began life at the time my first memory takes place? Because that's what your logic says.
Religious folks would say that the soul isn't created until conception, but at that point, it can never be destroyed except by God.

So the whole "can you remember anything before birth?" argument doesn't really prove that there is no afterlife.

Really, I haven't seen a good argument that completely refutes the possibility of an afterlife. Even the "brain damage" argument can be dealt with by simply following the concept of the "conscious experience" to its logical conclusion.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know the article states that the family believes it was a miracle from God, but honestly, the knee-jerk reaction from atheist/agnostic-Gaf in this thread was..............uncalled for?

And the sad part is that there really aren't many believers on Gaf who bother to respond, so it's like the atheists are arguing with themselves. What the hell?

captive

VanMardigan said:
I know the article states that the family believes it was a miracle from God, but honestly, the knee-jerk reaction from atheist/agnostic-Gaf in this thread was..............uncalled for?

And the sad part is that there really aren't many believers on Gaf who bother to respond, so it's like the atheists are arguing with themselves. What the hell?
My favorite one is god i hate people pushing their beliefs on other people!

Where were anyones beliefs pushed on anyone else? They said they believed God saved her.
The doctors said it was a "medical miracle" which directly translates into "beats the hell out of me."

They said Thomas suffered two heart attacks and had no brain waves for more than 17 hours. At about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, her heart stopped and she had no pulse. A respiratory machine kept her breathing and rigor mortis had set in, doctors said.
"Her skin had already started to harden and her fingers curled. Death had set in," said son Jim Thomas.
They rushed her to a West Virginia hospital. Doctors put Thomas on a special machine which induces hypothermia. The treatment involves lowering the body temperature for up to 24 hours before warming a patient up.
After that procedure, her heart stopped again.
"She had no neurological function," said Dr. Kevin Eggleston.
Her family said goodbye and doctors removed all the tubes.
However, Thomas was kept on a ventilator a little while longer as an organ donor issue was discussed.
Ten minutes later the woman woke up and started talking.

My theory . . . the brain function monitor was not functioning properly or not properly hooked up to the patient. The hypothermia treatment may have cause theor rigor mortis like symptoms.

The "heart stopped" but still on ventilator does not make sense . . . what good does putting oxygen into the patient do if the blood is not circulating at all? There are certainly many details missing in this story. It would be interesting to read a post mortem of this pre-mortem.

Green Shinobi said:
Religious folks would say that the soul isn't created until conception, but at that point, it can never be destroyed except by God.

Which is kind of funny because they used to say the soul joined the body when the infant took its first breath. Spirit shares the same root as respiration. Only when science figured out conception, did god change his word.

Count Dookkake said:
Which is kind of funny because they used to say the soul joined the body when the infant took its first breath. Spirit shares the same root as respiration. Only when science figured out conception, did god change his word.
God: "Oops! Sorry guys, turns out that I was full of shit."

Count Dookkake: "Oops! Sorry guys, turns out that I was full of shit."

Count Dookkake said:

What in the world are you taking about? :lol

I'm already loving the conspiracy theories in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom