• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women are better than men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xun

Funny there's a thread on this, since I just got sent this (it sort of reflects the topic):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnWQKxsywL8

I'm going to stay out of this thread though, since it'll get messy.

Why can't we all just get along? :'(

man, the part where he talks about the phone number at the bar and the part afterwards is cruel.

His point at the start is really fucking stupid. Yes, women haven't invented Facebook, Napster etc. But who invented Spanx? A woman. Saying that women can't start a hugely successful business venture is pretty damn stupid. But so is that show you linked to.
I've yet to listen to it.

I never said I agree with whoever it is, I was simply sent it.

If I implied you agree with it, I apologize.

He sets a bar of "billions" to determine success. There's tons of female entrepreneurs, but apparently you don't count if you're only worth a measly 50 mill.

CFMOORE!

my particular comment was that women can be horrible people. he says some stuff that illustrate the point. i honestly think both men and women are equally terrible and there are obviously going to be some men who are amazing people and some women who are too.

If I implied you agree with it, I apologize.

He sets a bar of "billions" to determine success. There's tons of female entrepreneurs, but apparently you don't count if you're only worth a measly 50 mill.

that's male thinking for ya :p HAVE TO GET IT ALL, MAXIMIZE PROFITS FOR THE LEADER OF THE PACK!!!!!

Socreges

Banned
Of course they're generalizations. I don't think Ebert believes that 100% of men and women have the characteristics he's talking about. Of course he knows there are exceptions. Everybody knows there are exceptions, so much so that there's no point in even bringing it up. (And of course Ebert is not some kind of authority or expert in these matters.) But that doesn't mean that you can never say that "men tend to do x" or "women tend to do y". There is nothing wrong with talking about what men or women do on average, or in general, or usually.
You haven't replied to what I said at all. There is no problem with generalizations. There is a problem with inaccurate, meaningless generalizations.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Fuck this thread, it made me annoyed before i even started reading.
I live with 4, they are not nicer or better, period.

kramer_is_out_gif.gif

NO offence Gaborn

amrihua

I know this won't be popular but I'm going to go against the general flow here and say what I believe.

Women might look adorable on the surface but they are far more deadly then men. A man might injure you or worse kill you but a man can never fill you with self doubt and destroy your ego. I've dealt with my share of bad women, far more bad women than men. Maybe it is just my luck. Women are far more superficial, egoistic and narcissistic than men, how do you think the cosmetics industry can survive?

The reality is somewhere in the middle. There are some good men and some bad men, equally there are some good women and bad women and that's all. Our culture though only seem to nurture the worse in both sexes.

Relevant. Shows the other side of women that OP doesn't mention.
http://youtu.be/Oan3D2WwWro

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I know this won't be popular but I'm going to go against the general flow here and say what I believe.

Women might look adorable on the surface but they are far more deadly then men. A man might injure you or worse kill you but a man can never fill you with self doubt and destroy your ego. I've dealt with my share of bad women, far more bad women than men. Maybe it is just my luck. Women are far more superficial, egoistic and narcissistic than men, how do you think the cosmetics industry can survive?

The reality is somewhere in the middle. There are some good men and some bad men, equally there are some good women and bad women and that's all. Our culture though only seem to nurture the worse in both sexes.

This is right.

Of course they're generalizations. I don't think Ebert believes that 100% of men and women have the characteristics he's talking about. Of course he knows there are exceptions. Everybody knows there are exceptions, so much so that there's no point in even bringing it up. (And of course Ebert is not some kind of authority or expert in these matters.) But that doesn't mean that you can never say that "men tend to do x" or "women tend to do y". There is nothing wrong with talking about what men or women do on average, or in general, or usually.

In for a "damn straight."

heh, no less than 20 minutes ago i thought about how taboo it is to say out loud that men kinda suck. there's always a shitstorm reaction when something factual like "men are more violent" is said. it's just true, that's how evolution shaped us. us males had to fight over females more than females had to fight over males, so we became more aggressive in comparison and more ready to use violence to enhance our changes of passing on our genes.

i'm 100% supportive of actively trying to reduce male power in the world, and increase female power. doesn't hurt to try, after this many millenia of male dominance.. right?

the moment of clarity when i realized us men are definitely worse: i worked at the local police station and had access to all of the case files, so i decided to take a random 100 or so violent cases and check how many offenders were male and how many female. each and every random sample had a male offender... so, yeah...

Watch Deadly Women - fun show. Investigation Discovery channel.

Will not invoke Natural's

gwarm01

Women have the potential to be universally superior to men, as they're clearly more intelligent, more diligent, and more ambitious.

I'm sorry, but that's one hell of a bold statement to make so matter of factly.

I'm all for equality of the sexes, and I believe most differences have historically been socially enforced rather than innate. I just hate the trend of pulling women up by pushing men down. There's no reason why we can't all excel.

Women might look adorable on the surface but they are far more deadly then men. A man might injure you or worse kill you but a man can never fill you with self doubt and destroy your ego. Women are far more superficial, egoistic and narcissistic than men, how do you think the cosmetics industry can survive?

meh, plenty of egos have been destroyed by bullying men and boys. i don't get where this silly myth of "men can't hurt you emotionally like women can" comes from. just utter nonsense, i guess mostly spread (not referring to you!) by guys who have had their hearts broken and need to pat themselves on the pack. just my guess.

and that point about the cosmetics industry is not quite true, it just happens to be that in our western culture it is generally the women who use make up and decorate themselves etc. this is NOT true of all cultures, so it is not innately a female thing. the roles can be switched, it's cultural and not in our biology. i think. and men are very often highly superficial as well, i know i am. gyms all over the world are filled with guys trying to enhance their superficial appearance.

i do kinda agree to the extent that women probably DO have some negative characteristics that men have less of (can't really think of any though lol). but overall i think i'd still rather have female-dominated societies. the violent tendencies and reckless risk-taking of men is just too big of a negative.

Orpheus

Neo Member
Eh, I partially agree with him. I don't think that either sex is better than the other, but I do think that at this point in our history, women (on average) may be better equipped to lead humanity to a safer, more unified world.

Assuming that things like the violent crime rate correlation turn out to truly be because of things like testosterone and genetics, and not due to cultural influences, of course.

mantidor

Women tend to engage in relational aggression while men tend to engage in physical aggression.

At least with a man, I can expect punches and kicks and all sorts of physical violence.

With a woman, I always have to wonder what she's going to do to get back at me. She'll spread a rumor and ruin my reputation. She'll tell her friends I'm inadequate.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. They'll smile at you and destroy your life without raising a finger.

This article reminds me of the comic series, "Y: The Last Man."

Yeah I also mostly agree.

Women's maternal instincts is what makes them seem like they are always nice, but try to cross them, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" sums it up pretty well. They are just as competitive and mean as men, if not more, specially between them. My guess of why that is not immediately evident is that we still live in a sexist society that oppresses women, so we tend to look with more sympathy, I don't know.

Also, they have a huge advantage over us, and that is they are in general way more mature about sex and sexuality, we keep acting like teenagers all of our lives, I'm exaggerating but is just to make a point, I don't know how to put it in words, like they are far more in charge of their sexuality than us with ours, they lead and manage their emotions, we let our emotions to manage us.

He makes a lot of great points in reality, but his shitty sensationalist title will discredit a decent piece.

What great points, specifically? Half of these crap generalizations spouted out about any group of people with no proof or supporting evidence whatsoever would just as likely earn you a ban in any other thread. His entire supporting argument is that his bs merely SEEMS right lol

I'm actually kind of angry Devo is banned, last thing we need is more one sided discussions...

I could try and argue and all, but I think I'd insult way more and get banned much faster so nope.

Gotta say, we would all be a bit better if instead of going "Yeah well? Men have done such and such, what have women done huh huh huh" we would just try to argue why we're all the same.

Its certainly not a clear gender divide but from what i've witnessed the genders tend to like the other more than their own, especially when it comes to work. That's not mind blowing at all but i've rarely come across different.

My mom, sister, aunts, girlfriend and female Co workers absolutely hate working with and for other females. They day they're manipulative, saboteurs, and incredibly emotionally inconsistent. That they'd much rather work for a guy boss because women tend to bring their baggage and take it out on the job or coworkers. The stories i've been told about sabotaging careers out situations because they didn't like them for some unknown reason seemed insane to me.

On the opposite end I've had basically nothing but positive experiences with female bosses our coworkers

ronito

Yes, well I can right my name in pee while peeing. Beat that women!

Its certainly not a clear gender divide but from what i've witnessed the genders tend to like the other more than their own, especially when it comes to work. That's not mind blowing at all but i've rarely come across different.

My mom, sister, aunts, girlfriend and female Co workers absolutely hate working with and for other females. They day they're manipulative, saboteurs, and incredibly emotionally inconsistent. That they'd much rather work for a guy boss because women tend to bring their baggage and take it out on the job or coworkers. The stories i've been told about sabotaging careers out situations because they didn't like them for some unknown reason seemed insane to me.

On the opposite end I've had basically nothing but positive experiences with female bosses our coworkers

I have had the exact same experience. After working for tons of different companies and loads of female coworkers I've found that this is almost universal. Women just hate working with other women and complain about them all the time, while I just don't see it and haven't really had any issues with female coworkers with the exception of two.

so? that's a stupid argument, i cannot be bothered to argue it.

Then why did you respond at all? Also, I didn't make an argument, I just stated a fact. I don't think it's true that you "can't be bothered to argue it". I think the truth is that you aren't capable of making a cogent against it, so you just decided to throw out an insult instead.

All the delicious indignant men tears in this thread. Glorious.

(not sure about 'better' or 'worse'. Trollish title is trollish. And successfully so : ))

I could try and argue and all, but I think I'd insult way more and get banned much faster so nope.

Gotta say, we would all be a bit better if instead of going "Yeah well? Men have done such and such, what have women done huh huh huh" we would just try to argue why we're all the same.

We honestly aren't though. Certain social factors contribute to certain things.

Whether or not either is better is... subjective.

Natural's law in full effect in this thread, taking place by post 40.

As for Mr. Ebert, he's not a terribly effective writer imo, but I agree with many of his points.
Also, LOL @ people throwing hissy fits. Keep black people out of this, they have nothing to do with your frail ego.

Onemic

Then why did you respond at all? Also, I didn't make an argument, I just stated a fact. I don't think it's true that you "can't be bothered to argue it". I think the truth is that you aren't capable of making a cogent against it, so you just decided to throw out an insult instead.

It's a stupid argument because you replied in such a way that made it seem as if it meant that the fact you pointed out automatically makes women better than men, which it doesn't. The points he made aren't false though, even if his title is.

And naturals law has gone full force here lol.

I'm more shocked that there are people on NeoGaf who believe that women are better than men.

well they are better at not fucking up the world with random violence. i think that's huge, and that fact alone justifies saying "women are better than men", even though it sounds like a childish and naive thing to say at first. i think it's just simply true. and i can't escape the conclusion, but i'd love to, if you could help me.

Centurion

Banned
What great points, specifically? Half of these crap generalizations spouted out about any group of people with no proof or supporting evidence whatsoever would just as likely earn you a ban in any other thread.

Ya I agree, he generalized a lot, I was actually gonna quote some of them in an edit but there were too many to argue against. Some examples

Women are nicer than men. There are exceptions. Most people of both sexes are probably fairly nice, given the nature of their upbringing and opportunities. But in terms of their lifelong natures, women are kinder, more empathetic, more generous.

what a bullshit statement.

They now represent a majority of U.S. college students, and 60% of all graduate students.

This doesn't say much of anything. breakdown of fields?

blah, a lot of what he is saying is just opinions based off the same ol' skewed facts that get repeated. my point is, he would have done himself more favors if he just focused on women's issues, instead of pretending they HAVE to be better than the men to give his point more credence.

Yin and the Yang, and all that good nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom