• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women as Reward - Tropes vs Women in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad like so many of the female characters in the MGS series, she has to die a violent death or endure violent punishments. (Sniper Wolf, Naomi, Emma, Paz, Para-Medic, Olga, Meryl, the PTSD beast photo models).

Quiet is a whole 'nother story (mute stripper sniper explained with the dumbest ad hoc justification ever who
gets sexually assaulted and tortured
).

How many MGS characters regardless of gender have a happy ending?

The bosses death shows she has a resolve greater than any character in the series.

If you say she is the typical the main man character has to kill her trope you are not seeing the vastly more important roles she has to the main character.

They are the master and apprentice dynamic, in order for him the take the legendary mantel she has created he has to best her and even after that he makes massive mistakes after that she would not have and never understood her ideals until his old age.

But yeah peace walker Paz and the Beasts could have been handled better

I never understood why people can't stand this woman. She just gives an opinion on video games.

I watched her video and I saw no reason to get upset with her. She's well spoken, passionate and knowledgeable about the subject.

I'll still continue to buy the games I want to buy and developers/publishers will continue to make them.

I never understood why people can't stand this woman. She just gives an opinion on video games.

Because she is one of the few that has noteworthy media watching her, which the more media attention people like her get, the more chance that the industry could actually change. People are afraid of losing their fanservice and violent games, some of which are so afraid, that the only way they know how to do anything is to make threats against her, because they can't think for a second that maybe there's a reason why things should be changed in the first place.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, gamers are just too sensitive these days. Something something outrage culture.

The irony is that the gamers who complain think that she's too sensitive for having an opinion. "It's just video games! I don't care, let's chill but let's bombard her with death threats because she's too sensitive!"

MrBadger

The irony is that the gamers who complain think that she's too sensitive for having an opinion. "It's just video games! I don't care, let's chill but let's bombard her with death threats because she's too sensitive!"

Yeah, the irony is lost on some people. "SJW's complain about every little thing! By the way did you guys see how she got this one specific thing wrong in Hitman and how she said she doesn't play games like 5 years ago?"

pgtl_10

Because she is one of the few that has noteworthy media watching her, which the more media attention people like her get, the more chance that the industry could actually change. People are afraid of losing their fanservice and violent games, some of which are so afraid, that the only way they know how to do anything is to make threats against her, because they can't think for a second that maybe there's a reason why things should be changed in the first place.

If someone keeps buying GTA then someone will keep making GTA. It's that simple.

pgtl_10

BTW Gamers have always been this sensitive. I remember outrage over Matt Cassamasina giving Mario Kart:Double Dash a 7.9. The gaming community is very toxic.

Lime

Mini-DLC Episode

This totally free supplemental add-on content pack for our Women as Reward video examines how women’s bodies are used not just as a reward for in-game actions but also, via paid downloadable content, as a reward for spending actual money. We then address the most common defense of this kind of objectification and commodification of women’s bodies: the argument that “sex sells.”

New thread-worthy?

papo

At least the actual videos I've seen she just sounds a bit full of herself. I get that they are her opinions, but she seems to take them too personally and I don't know it rubs off the wrong way.

It's not her alone though. I just feel that with opinions like these it's a better response to get off your ass and doing something about it,not only 'politicizing' the issue, instead of continuously criticizing others peoples work. She just seem to want to talk shit, talk about creating changes, not making the step to change them herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom