• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman and the Mystery of the Missing Marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat_DC

Long story short I felt it was paced better and I found the black freighter stuff distracting. I found the book just too slow and a bit of a slog. For context when I was around 14 when I first read it, I never finished it. When everyone was saying it's the best comic ever, I forced myself to finish it. Maybe I'll reread it, just not anytime soon. The film cut out a lot of fluff, had an amazing intro and told a good story.

Thanks for the explanation, completely get where you are coming from.

I really enjoyed the comics at the time so had more investment going into the film. I felt the movie was visually amazing but didn't capture the tone and broader concepts, which would be almost impossible in a 2-3 hour film.

Even then I think it is one of Snyders best films because the source material is strong.
For me it might have worked better as a 12 part tv show.

I haven't noticed a lot of marketing for WW but I still think it will do well financially.

MCU does really well because they started the universe off with multiple solo films to establish the characters before mashing them together. DCEU did the opposite by shoving a bunch of characters into one film before separating the heroes.

WW is also the first female superhero in a while to get a standalone film, and I think many people will find that refreshing. Word of mouth is quite powerful.

So even though the marketing is lacking, it actually gives me more confidence in the film itself. Warner Bros has proven time and time again that they have no idea what works, so them not giving much attention to WW gives me a glimmer of hope that this is WB being daft.

Ashhong

I haven't noticed a lot of marketing for WW but I still think it will do well financially.

MCU does really well because they started the universe off with multiple solo films to establish the characters before mashing them together. DCEU did the opposite by shoving a bunch of characters into one film before separating the heroes.

WW is also the first female superhero in a while to get a standalone film, and I think many people will find that refreshing. Word of mouth is quite powerful.

So even though the marketing is lacking, it actually gives me more confidence in the film itself. Warner Bros has proven time and time again that they have no idea what works, so them not giving much attention to WW gives me a glimmer of hope that this is WB being daft.

Eh...disagree. Having solo films before a team up film is not some kind of magical requirement to super hero movies. They just didn't put out the best product, period.

Magwik

Banned

DCEU is faltering because of the poor direction of the movies. BvS did $833m WW on horrible word of mouth. Imagine how much money it would have made if it had legs/better word of mouth. The numbers would be insane.

120v

i dunno... i could see how some last minute marketing could work on this one. a bit of a gamble perhaps but it's not like the world is particularly waiting for a Wonder Woman movie with baited breath, at least coming off batman v superman it'd be a rather forced 'hype machine' ... still needs to be marketed but i don't think it needs to be plastered everywhere more than a few weeks out

Warning! These muscles 💪 Vicious for blood
C-ybWEJV0AAH3oI.jpg

C-ybWxPU0AABpb1.jpg

The Kree

Banned

Team movies work if you create them as team movies. That's all Justice League has to do - be a team movie. It doesn't have to be six solo movies for 90 minutes with a shitty team movie crammed into the third act.

KonradLaw

Well..it likely won't do as much at boxoffice as BvS and it was cheaper, so it's wise to not go crazy on marketing. Especially since the only reason why BvS did only decently money-wise instead of being hugely profitable was insane marketing costs.

G-Fex

You're just repeating the same thing you said earlier like it makes more sense now.

You don't pull ads for your product just because there's a similar product on the market at the same time. That doesn't even make any sense. It doesn't happen. It's weird to suggest that not only does it, but that it's good strategy.

Films consistently have commercials out at the same time as other films have their commercials out. Because they're just commercials. They're not events unto themselves. They're advertisements for events. The whole point is to be out there as often as possible, to be seen by as many people as possible, so they have recognition/anticipation for your product when it's finally made available to them.

In order for your strategy to work, you'd have to suggest people are either going to avoid, or turn down the opportunity to watch the Wonder Woman commercial because they'd rather watch the Guardians commercial instead, so you have to wait until people are willing to give other commercials a chance.

That doesn't make any sense. It only even starts to maybe make sense if you're thinking of commercials as occupying the same level of importance as the product they're advertising.

That doesn't take into account, of course, the purpose of the ad, and the fact the ad is delivered to you, for free, as opposed to the product it is advertising being something you have to seek out and pay for.

No Bobby WB should cower and hide before the big MCU. Fear the disney behemoth

NimbusD

Wait am I seeing this wrong though? It looks like most of the videos of other film's but within a month if release in a big push. We're not there yet. Or I might be looking at the wrong thing

shira

Well..it likely won't do as much at boxoffice as BvS and it was cheaper, so it's wise to not go crazy on marketing. Especially since the only reason why BvS did only decently money-wise instead of being hugely profitable was insane marketing costs.

Not only that - BvS and Suicide Squad had like a month of 3D and Imax engagments with zero competition for premium screens.

WW will be lucky to have 1 week or premium tickets with the schedule jam packed.

It's being sent to die.

Yager

Banned
Not only that - BvS and Suicide Squad had like a month of 3D and Imax engagments with zero competition for premium screens.

WW will be lucky to have 1 week or premium tickets with the schedule jam packed.

It's being sent to die.

I guess that's the case with every movie that's dropping in the next few months. Every single one of them sent to die!

Eh...disagree. Having solo films before a team up film is not some kind of magical requirement to super hero movies. They just didn't put out the best product, period.

No your right, it's not a requirement at all. I just think it is one of the successful paths they could have taken. In the end, the product was not good and muddled with a ton of different stories. I suppose that's what makes WW look more attractive to me, it should (hopefully) be a more focused tale.

DCEU is faltering because of the poor direction of the movies. BvS did $833m WW on horrible word of mouth. Imagine how much money it would have made if it had legs/better word of mouth. The numbers would be insane.

No kidding, I'm guessing probably double that if it was better all around. Can't argue with that either, they have taken the world's most famous superhero IP's into a strange direction.

Team movies work if you create them as team movies. That's all Justice League has to do - be a team movie. It doesn't have to be six solo movies for 90 minutes with a shitty team movie crammed into the third act.

I really hope they nail it. That's kind of how I felt they did BvS and I really hope Justice League is a team movie.

I just watched the latest trailer for WW and it still looks good to me. I really hope I'm not gonna be disappointed.

This

Everyone is excited for Guardian of The Galaxy.

Hit the top of the page, man.

This "reason" isn't a reason.

Wait am I seeing this wrong though? It looks like most of the videos of other film's but within a month if release in a big push. We're not there yet. Or I might be looking at the wrong thing

You're not wrong that the 4 weeks before a film releases is where shit starts to ramp up, but Wonder Woman is still lacking in push/presence/awareness even compared to those other films in the same time period before that last 4 weeks.

It keeps happening in this thread that the bar gets dropped from that comparison to spotting any Wonder Woman marketing.

Warner Bros is not pushing this film as hard as they pushed Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, or even Suicide Squad.

That a Marvel Movie is also simultaneously advertising itself is not the reason there are less ads. That's not a thing. Studios don't go "oh, we can't advertise our film now, there's another movie coming out around the same time. We have to wait our turn."

That's not a thing that happens.

Pandy

Probably similar to posts earlier in the thread, but just to be an extra data point...

Saw GOTG Vol.2 yesterday in a cinema in the UK.
They showed a Justice League trailer, but no Wonder Woman trailer.

Ashhong

You're not wrong that the 4 weeks before a film releases is where shit starts to ramp up, but Wonder Woman is still lacking in push/presence/awareness even compared to those other films in the same time period before that last 4 weeks.

It keeps happening in this thread that the bar gets dropped from that comparison to spotting any Wonder Woman marketing.

Warner Bros is not pushing this film as hard as they pushed Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, or even Suicide Squad.

That a Marvel Movie is also simultaneously advertising itself is not the reason there are less ads. That's not a thing. Studios don't go "oh, we can't advertise our film now, there's another movie coming out around the same time. We have to wait our turn."

I liked the reasoning from that marketing director from WB. With the earlier three movies, they were still learning how to market the DCEU. They were trying different things. With WW, they want to take what they learned from that and from Supergirl, and have a more focused marketing strategy. Good enough reasoning for me. Could that all be bullshit? Maybe, but we will literally never know. Just wish all of these "sent to die" comments would stop.

Batjag

I liked the reasoning from that marketing director from WB. With the earlier three movies, they were still learning how to market the DCEU. They were trying different things. With WW, they want to take what they learned from that and from Supergirl, and have a more focused marketing strategy. Good enough reasoning for me. Could that all be bullshit? Maybe, but we will literally never know. Just wish all of these "sent to die" comments would stop.

Yeah, it seems at least believable that now that they're three movies in the marketing team would start trying to use lessons learned (don't spoil the final battle, don't spend too much too soon, market to teenage girls on SnapChat,or whatever).

They may miss the mark with this campaign, but I just can't see it as them not trying or not having faith in the movie.

This argument would hold up if Justice League wasn't already being marketed better than Wonder Woman, despite the fact it's still half a year away.

They just aren't marketing Wonder Woman well. Period. The Supergirl comparison still doesn't make any sense, because they're two different products. A Wonder Woman movie needs a shit ton more exposure than a Supergirl TV show does.

We're just seeing with Wonder Woman what we usually see with action movies starring women, and the justifications are frustrating.

Theorry

This argument would hold up if Justice League wasn't already being marketed better than Wonder Woman, despite the fact it's still half a year away.

They just aren't marketing Wonder Woman well. Period. The Supergirl comparison still doesn't make any sense, because they're two different products. A Wonder Woman movie needs a shit ton more exposure than a Supergirl TV show does.

We're just seeing with Wonder Woman what we usually see with action movies starring women, and the justifications are frustrating.

In what way? We just got finally a first trailer after almost a year after the first look. And we got some pictures from the crew and a set visit a while ago. Wich like they said in the article is the new way from WB. Just like the press got a invite to the editing booth for WW.
Hell you even can say that the JL trailer and stuff even was extra marketing for WW. As she appears in that also heavily.

Ashhong

This is just factually wrong, as already explained by Theorry. Are you being willfully ignorant? WW had similar hype campaigns 6 months ago too. Then there was a lull period, and now it's in full force. In no way shape or form is JL being marketed better lol.

And action movies starring women? How exactly are those usually marketed? Ghost in the Shell was marketed an insane amount.

Magwik

Banned
Justice League is getting more attention because it has more to prove and to sell after the previous two DC movies. Wonder Woman was generally considered one of the better parts of BvS, so they don't have to sell you an apology a year in advance.

Ross61

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R6_Chr2vro

It's honestly been long time since i last heard but i recall her israel/palestine views to being crap. Maybe they've changed i don't know.

Unless there's something else, all she's said is the equivalent of an innocuous support our troops. I don't know. I think folks read deep into Chris Pratt saying a similar thing.

It did strike me as rather odd to have not seen a trailer or a mention on prime time TV until it aired during a Supergirl commercial break last night despite it being a month away from release. This isn't the norm, especially for a superhero summer release film. Hell, Ghostbusters had more marketing 2 months before that came out than this appears to have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom