• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman and the Mystery of the Missing Marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xero

Sorry wasn't following the development of this movie or discussions on gaf at all.
She just doesn't look the part to me, couldn't really tell in BvS as the screen was so damn dark all the time.
people have been bitching about this non stop since she was announced. Wonder woman has been drawn many ways. Gal fits fine with many representations of her.

0f8CTgE.jpg

Veelk

Banned
Another thing about WW, they're essentially killing off her supporting cast by having Steve and Etta live in the 1920's. She's going to have no predetermined supporting cast in modern day.

This is more of a concern for WW2, and maybe that's too far away to be worried about, but I can already tell why they're really doing this: to have her involved with no strings attached with either Batman or Superman.

Gleethor

Another thing about WW, they're essentially killing off her supporting cast by having Steve and Etta live in the 1920's. She's going to have no predetermined supporting cast in modern day.

This is more of a concern for WW2, and maybe that's too far away to be worried about, but I can already tell why they're really doing this: to have her involved with no strings attached with either Batman or Superman.

She'll visit Steve in a nursing home and Etta will be frozen and given superpowers, problem solved.

Ross61

Or, she can be with neither and they can comb decades of comics for her supporting cast. Like the huge island she came from.

This is just factually wrong, as already explained by Theorry. Are you being willfully ignorant? WW had similar hype campaigns 6 months ago too. Then there was a lull period, and now it's in full force. In no way shape or form is JL being marketed better lol.

And action movies starring women? How exactly are those usually marketed? Ghost in the Shell was marketed an insane amount.

If you're gonna argue movies with women in lead roles aren't typically handcuffed advertising wise, I'll tap out here. We don't have anything to discuss.

Ashhong

If you're gonna argue movies with women in lead roles aren't typically handcuffed advertising wise, I'll tap out here. We don't have anything to discuss.

Lol? That's cool I guess. Ignore everything and put your fingers in your ears. We were talking specifically female action movies, which there aren't exactly a lot of.

Bluth54

I saw a Wonder Woman commercial tonight during The Daily Show!
The Guardians of the Galaxy 2 commercial was way better.

Why bother when you can just "tap out" when you run out of things to say

I just try not to explain things that shouldn't need explaining anymore. Stopped doing that when I realized what people claiming ignorance in such subjects are really doing.

It's one of those "if you don't see it already, you're not going to, or don't want to" things.

Zoe

Just saw a regular commercial for the first time.

In which Chris Pine did 99% of the talking.

Ashhong

I just try not to explain things that shouldn't need explaining anymore. Stopped doing that when I realized what people claiming ignorance in such subjects are really doing.

It's one of those "if you don't see it already, you're not going to, or don't want to" things.

All I asked was for examples of female action movies with bad marketing. If you want to go and judge a person based on that then so be it.

KonradLaw

It's being sent to die.

Or maybe they just are realistic at how much it can make and scaled marketing/budget to make it success. Not every superhero movie has to aim for billion dollars. Almost none of them reach that number anyway.

Christ you people take this stuff way too seriously.
Back to the political threads for me.

Wha?

Like, if direct, mildly disinterested pushback on your bad opinions gets this sorta reaction out of you I have no idea how the political threads are somehow a safer haven.

The joke is she starts saying her full title of "Princess Diana blah blah blah", and he cuts her off and says "Diana Prince".

It's a funny joke on its own. Just…I feel like there's a better way to market Wonder Woman.

But maybe it's an unavoidable part of shooting the film in the 20's.

I think it's weird that almost none of these ads/trailers have really hinted at what (or who) the villain is.

I've read up a little on the movie so I know there's basically... three of 'em? I think? But the ads themselves aren't really selling any of 'em at all.

So far the main villain seems to be London itself.

They took huge criticism before when they revealed the villian before so they've avoided it since.

It's not really the same situation this time out, though.

Revealing Doomsday in the BvS trailers was always kind of a stupid backlash, but Doomsday (whether he was really a surprise or not) isn't comparable to this film's villains.

There's gotta at least be a sense of what/who she's fighting. There isn't. Even in the BvS trailers (and Man of Steel trailers) you had a general idea what the main conflict was.

Anyone who only knows about this movie from the trailers/commercials couldn't tell you what Diana is actually DOING in this movie, I don't think.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's weird that almost none of these ads/trailers have really hinted at what (or who) the villain is.

I've read up a little on the movie so I know there's basically... three of 'em? I think? But the ads themselves aren't really selling any of 'em at all.

So far the main villain seems to be London itself.
I've watched a few vids yesterday about people talking about the marketing stuff and they all seemed to think that WB is learning their lessons from showing off Doomsday in BvS and that it's making World War 1 to be the "villain" of the movie. You can infer that Diana wants to stop the war and that's the big threat, but we know as nerds it's something else and that she alone can't stop a world war.

Ross61

Revealing Doomsday in the BvS trailers was always kind of a stupid backlash, but Doomsday (whether he was really a surprise or not) isn't comparable to this film's villains.

There's gotta at least be a sense of what/who she's fighting. There isn't. Even in the BvS trailers (and Man of Steel trailers) you had a general idea what the main conflict was.

Anyone who only knows about this movie from the trailers/commercials couldn't tell you what Diana is actually DOING in this movie, I don't think.
Hey, it seemed to work for SS.

Theorry

No need also indeed. Sure there are some hints and showings. But overall they only need to set it up that WW1 is the "villian". What we learn in the movie is probably how Ares and his minions influence and started that war.

Edit: What Wingfan said.

Ahasverus

There's the Nazi guy and the woman with a mask, villain is war itself.
Which is appropiate.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
What lesson was there to learn?

Does anyone really think finding out Doomsday was the big bad they had to fight damaged the film's anticipation or box-office though?
You saw how many people talk about "showing Doomsday" and how it "spoiled too much" for them. You can't deny there were a lot of talking points about it on a lot of the movie news sites and message boards, regardless if it was really a spoiler or not. I saw it a ton on GAF alone. You have to imagine WB wants to avoid any sort of negative talking points about this movie. Don't give people the chance to bitch about something if you don't have to.

You saw how many people talk about "showing Doomsday" and how it "spoiled too much" for them.

I'm not saying I didn't see the talk. I'm saying did it actually damage anything?

Because I'm disinclined to believe there was any real effect from that. The people who complained still saw the movie. Opening weekend, in most cases. At which point the movie's quality became a much bigger problem than whether or not the incredibly telegraphed non-spoiler of a villain reveal was deflated by the marketing.

Theorry

Its probably didnt damage it. But there wasnt really a positive thing about it to.
There just was backslash about it. So would be a good thing to just avoid that. Maybe the next time it will damage it. No need to take the risk.

Ashhong

She's trying to stop the war! I think that's enough to get the attention of the general audience. Comic readers would know who the villain likely is from that hint alone. Weird, different maybe, that they don't show the villain, but refreshing and awesome too.

I'm not saying I didn't see the talk. I'm saying did it actually damage anything?

Because I'm disinclined to believe there was any real effect from that. The people who complained still saw the movie. Opening weekend, in most cases. At which point the movie's quality became a much bigger problem than whether or not the incredibly telegraphed non-spoiler of a villain reveal was deflated by the marketing.

How would anybody really know though? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But is not showing the villain here damaging anything? Who knoooooooooooooooows

How would anybody really know though? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But is not showing the villain here damaging anything? Who knows

It didn't.

And I'm not arguing that not showing the villain is damaging anything, I just thought it was kinda weird that they aren't showing any of the villains at all.

Diana vs. War Itself is kind of a vague concept. (and yes, I know Ares is her main villain of late, and personifying the concept of war makes that a lot more palatable, but that's not actually happening in these trailers) so I don't know if it's getting across or not.

It didn't.

And I'm not arguing that not showing the villain is damaging anything, I just thought it was kinda weird that they aren't showing any of the villains at all.

Diana vs. War Itself is kind of a vague concept. (and yes, I know Ares is her main villain of late, and personifying the concept of war makes that a lot more palatable, but that's not actually happening in these trailers) so I don't know if it's getting across or not.
That's not entirely true. We got a decent look at Doctor Poison a while back, and there's... What's his face, the German commander. They've done a good job keeping the actual Big Bad under wraps, but we have seen Villains. Or at least antagonists, depending on how hard they lean into Ares as the puppet master.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
There hasn't been any footage of her "Howling Commandos" group either. The trailers and clips keep showing the same scenes.

Well Superman is already with Lois thankfully. But man if they do a Bats and Wondy relationship I will swear off seeing anymore movies in this universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom