• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman and the Mystery of the Missing Marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can actually see this, but I feel like if this is the case, a delay of like a month would've been good. It's coming into a crowded month, pushing it back just a bit would give more breathing space.

Yeah, I think the marketing has actually been alright so far but they should have picked a better date. WW is pretty much a "new" franchise and it shouldn't be competing with so many established IPs. August would definitely have been better, it did wonders for Guardians.

I hope they do better with cyborg's marketing

WB marketing team: "Who?"

Eidan

I was just thinking the other day how I had no clue if Wonder Woman was coming out before or after Justice League. Advertising for this film has been abysmal.

Don't worry guys.

These DC films are obviously carried by excellent word of mouth.

Wonder Woman will be no different.

i-see-what-you-did-there_o_514831.gif

DJChuy

Wonder Woman is arguably the third most popular superhero. It's like Fox not advertising Wolverine or Deadpool.

The lack of advertising doesn't just affect the film, it affects the merchandise as well.

Betty

Banned
What's feminist about Harley breaking her abusive boyfriend out of jail?

And walking around in 'that' getup with 'property of joker' written on her jacket.

I feel like everyone projected her character as amazing before the film even came out because she's one of the more dire elements of the film.

Oersted

I'm not surprised, not should any reader of DC.

Like their comics, DC wants to push Harley as their female/feminist icon rather than Wondy.

DC made the United Nations name Wonder Woman Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls. It only stopped due to internal protest at the UN.

You guys seriously think WB is intentionally wasting their money just so can say that no one wants to female super heroes? Did they have a gun to their head and were forced to make this movie?

No I'm saying they will make that conclusion after the fact...

Ie if they fail to market it well and the movie fails, instead of going shit I guess we didn't market it well they'll conclude that it was all because audience don't want female lead superhero movies and they did nothing wrong.

Fuchsdh

lmao when did quality of a movie correlate with how you market the movie?!

Why is it projected to bomb?

I don't know if it is (although it doesn't seem that great) but you have to assume the studio relentlessly tracks projections. If they don't think it's going to do well why would you dump more money on it? Marketing alone can't turn a commercial failure into a success.

And walking around in 'that' getup with 'property of joker' written on her jacket.

I feel like everyone projected her character as amazing before the film even came out because she's one of the more dire elements of the film.

Hot take, most people don't care at all about that. Everyone and their daughter was dressed up as Harley Quinn at comic-cons I've been to, so I think the abusive relationship with the Joker is not at all on their radar.

Jigorath

Banned
I'd say it's because the movie is probably pretty bad, but Suicide Squad was terrible and that got a massive marketing campaign.

So who knows. Maybe WB just doesn't care.

People keep responding about Guardians 2 but release date isn't the point of the article or thread. However you feel about the DCEU, WW, in her first movie, should be getting like Batman '89 levels of promotion and marketing and hell that Dr. Pepper can is the first I've even seen of that.

Veelk

Banned

I don't think I've ever going to get the appeal of Harley in general. Like, she was kinda fun in Batman the Animated Series, and I like how she's kind of become DC's deadpool in comics.

But she's mostly just widely known as "Joker's psychotic girlfriend". And like, that's her entire character, just daydreaming about "Puddin'" while he kinda forgets she exists. Why do people think that, in and of itself, is compelling?

I don't think I've ever going to get the appeal of Harley in general. Like, she was kinda fun in Batman the Animated Series, and I like how she's kind of become DC's deadpool in comics.

But she's mostly just widely known as "Joker's psychotic girlfriend". And like, that's her entire character, just daydreaming about "Puddin'" while he kinda forgets she exists. Why do people think that, in and of itself, is compelling?

At first glance she's a sexy bad girl. I mean, people love Darth Vader and that guy is a child murdering genocidal monster.

Betty

Banned

She was compelling in TAS because yeah, she tried so much to get Joker's approval and most times he didn't give a shit. He even tried to kill her a few times and even though she'd try and get away from him, he'd pull her back in. She couldn't fight her addiction and you felt sorry for her just like Two Face, Mr Freeze etc.

Now they've gone and completely ruined that by having their new 'damaged' joker actually care about Harley.

Joker would've walked away and laughed after Harley threw herself into the chemicals in Suicide Squad.

jwk94

Wait, are you arguing that they can't do it, or that they already have?

They already have to an extent. We know who she is and where she comes from. The only thing that's missing is her motivation for fighting. Another thing that kinda bothers me is that Wonder Woman seems like a character without much substance. I know most of my DC knowledge from the DCAU in the 90s-00s and I can't really say much about Wonder Woman.

She had her conflicts at home, but that never really interested me. For me, she was always the cool woman who could go toe-to-toe with Supes and block stuff with her bracelet. Is there more to her?

G-Fex

Holy fuck WB really has no faith going into this do they? The really lackluster trailers and general awareness of this movie has been nothing but MILD. WB hasn't given a single fuck so why should others? Very telling.

Also don't do the fucking emoji thing in the picture, it screams content off of reddit.

Theorry

Holy fuck WB really has no faith going into this do they? The really lackluster trailers and general awareness of this movie has been nothing but MILD. WB hasn't given a single fuck so why should others? Very telling.

Also don't do the fucking emoji thing in the picture, it screams content off of reddit.

lol

G-Fex

They could've done better to make more exciting trailers. Look at MoS and that shit was nothing like the trailers.

kirblar

How

I mean, I'm kind of jealous to be honest, as I don't know how many times by now I've been subjected to that short plump woman's lame jokes at the end of every trailer.
I've been to the movies a lot, and have seen 0 WW but a billion of that shitty King Arthur movie.

His entire character summed up basically.

I honestly hope Black Panther is so successful, it destroys Cyborg's movie chance and forces both DC and WB to go back to redrawing board with him. As he is now, he doesn't deserve a film.

The only way he'd destroy his movie chances is by Black Panther flopping.

Lebron

Yeah, I noticed they don't seem to be pushing this one very hard. I'm sure it'll pick up a little close to release, but seems they will just send this one out there and focus on Justice League.

Sorry, I can't show examples because it has never crossed my mind to collect "digital advertising" as evidence or data for internet discussion. Now, a journalist could just ask WB about their digital push for the movie and report facts instead of conjectures.
"I pulled it out of my ass"

She was compelling in TAS because yeah, she tried so much to get Joker's approval and most times he didn't give a shit. He even tried to kill her a few times and even though she'd try and get away from him, he'd pull her back in. She couldn't fight her addiction and you felt sorry for her just like Two Face, Mr Freeze etc.

Now they've gone and completely ruined that by having their new 'damaged' joker actually care about Harley.

Joker would've walked away and laughed after Harley threw herself into the chemicals in Suicide Squad.

This is so fucked up that one needs her to be a total victim of abuse to care about her.

The idea that her character is ruined because Joker cares about her is gross.

Harley's entire character is fucked but I'll take two psychos in love over Harley Quinn is so cool because she loves the Joker so much she'll take all his abuse even though he doesn't care about her at all and would love to just kill her one one day... so compelling.

I'd honestly say the idea that there is at least one person Joke is actually capable of caring about in some fashion is infinitely more compelling than woman in abusive/loveless relationship can't leave even as she's being beaten and nearly killed time and time again.

Effect

King Arthur comes out on the 12th. That's why you're seeing stuff for it now.

Going to repost what I said in another thread.

Wonder Woman marketing. If there isn't a push once May (at the latest the middle of May) officially gets here then I'll start worrying. I can see the argument for a marketing blitz in the month before the film comes out as a better use of the marketing money. Especially since that is when Gal Gadot and Chris Pine and Jenkins will start doing the talk shows for the film and interviews will be released. Some of that has started already like the ones in W Magazine and EW. Having all that taking place with the tickets being on sale and the advertising makes more sense. There is digital marketing already taking place as well and toys and product placement (food, makeup, nascar, etc) has already started.

I just don't think this film is getting an insane marketing campaign like Avengers or Justice League or Star Wars. Those films got and will get advertising budgets close to their production budgets. That's not happening and likely shouldn't happen. Hell those films shouldn't have gotten that.

I think what some are taking as no marketing is actually normal film marketing. Stuff like Star Wars, Avengers, Justice League and some of the marketing that goes on for months before a film drops is outside of the norm. Look at Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Fantastic Beast, Lego Batman, and hell even Guardians marketing. I didn't really start seeing GoTG2 marketing until several days ago. Before that it was the trailers and articles movie sites like ScreenRant and forum threads. All the stuff Wonder Woman has gotten as well.

Commercials months in advance isn't the norm. They've kept the Wonder Woman film in the public with the trailers and as well with the Justice League marketing which hits two birds with one stone since she's in both. Now if one is confused about the date then the commercials two weeks before the film coms out will remind people. They likely will be more effective that close instead of two months ago where people will have forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom