• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman and the Mystery of the Missing Marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckle

And when the movie doesn't do as well as their other Superhero movies did, "Well, I guess people just aren't interested in female superheroes!"

God, this stupid shit pisses me off.
Going to be funny seeing the reactions of those same execs if Captain Marvel takes off.

'Well, the market just wasn't there two years ago."

No, it was. You just made a shitty movie and or sent it out to die.

I'm sorry what?

Harley+quinn+banged+a+whole+room+of+joke_8b4258_5843516.jpg

Theorry

I wouldnt call Wonder Woman one of the most popular heroes in the world. Well known sure. But shes boring.

And the films setting doesnt really hype her up. It seems like an edgy cookie cutter origin story.

Like the first Captain America it takes place in...world war 2?(or the 1st) except it doesnt have any of the charm from CA. No trailer would make the WW appealing?
(then again I feel the same about every DC hero. Its that Snyder touch.)

In essence Im not surprised this isnt being marketed.

WW has more charm in her pinky then Cap in his whole body. And that comes from someone who likes Cap.
They trailers also already showed great hommages towards Superman 78 wich is great also and gives the movie charm.

Lois_Lane

Do you know how messed up the bolded is...

You actually make a better argument why this character should just never exist than why she's worse in the movie.
I don't get. How is Harley's story any different from Kill Bill or Rapunzel from Tangled(in this case Mother Gothel takes Joker's place)

WW has more charm in her pinky then Cap in his whole body. And that comes from someone who likes Cap.
They trailers also already showed great hommages towards Superman 87 wich is great also and gives the movie charm.
Ha no. Cap stands for the ideals America should stand for. I have no clue what WW stands for and Gal Gadot is nowhere near Chris Evans in terms of being endearing.

I don't get. How is Harley's story any different from Kill Bill or Rapunzel from Tangled(in this case Mother Gothel takes Joker's place)

Did you see Kill Bill Volume 2.... the affection was fucked up but it wasn't one way.

And you know there's a difference between a story about a journey of revenge in the name of killing your abuser and a story about never ever ever really leaving your abuser who has and will never love you but god we hoe you do someday because you're so endearing that way.

Tobor

They trailers also already showed great hommages towards Superman 87 wich is great also and gives the movie charm.

That's just delusional. It's not even a fair comparison between Evans and Gadot.

Ok. Didn't Google a thing. Literally an ongoing GotG2 thread right now in OT. Perhaps Google before trying to correct folks?
That person was obviously talking about the marketing push in America, where Guardians hasn't been released yet. That's why he's saying that WB is waiting until Guardians releases for them to start their WW marketing push. WB, or anyone else for that matter, isn't going to design their marketing strategy in America based off the release dates for when a movie comes out in a foreign country.

DonShula

I'm in the minority because I feel like I've seen enough marketing. I knew it was coming soon but wasn't sure of the exact date. The Dr Pepper cans are nice - if you buy a 12 pack you get reminded 12 times.

But the marketing for GOTG has been off the charts. And it doesn't help that Wonder Woman is the latest in a line of movies that's basically sucked. It looks like it could be interesting to me, but the fact that it's attached to all that other DC garbage makes me want to see it less.

Lois_Lane

Did you see Kill Bill Volume 2.... the affection was fucked up but it wasn't one way.

And you know there's a difference between a story about killing your abuser and a story about never ever ever really leaving your abuser who has and will never love you.

But Harley does leave him in the end, in multiple comics, and gets in a slightly less abusive relationship with Poison Ivy. Her abuse/obssession is as much a part of her origin story as Iron Man's alcholism. How she overcomes it is where DC should be getting our interest.

Tobor

So the Captain America character has more charm then Wonder Woman character?

I assumed you were referring to the actors, but yes, it's the same answer just talking about the characters.

That said, I wouldn't use the word "charm" to describe either character on paper.

Betty

Banned
Agreed. He uses her, abuses her, and pretends to love her so he can continue doing so. Joker doesn't care about anyone but Batman, that's the whole crux of his character. Making him actually care for Harley is lame.

Exactumondo.

3d5803344f3db7462efe54840ef161b4.gif

harley-quinn-mad-love-fall.gif

Do you know how messed up the bolded is...

You actually make a better argument why this character should just never exist than why she's worse in the movie.

Well she does exist and she's very popular especially among women and girls so...

Harley-Gun.gif

What in the ever loving fuck. I love me a good orgy, but dc writers thought this would be a good page to put into their comic? "Haha she fucked all the cosplayers just to make sure!"

Easily. Captain America as a character has an ideal. However twisted they may be in the current comicverse.

Wonder Woman in the meanwhile is always simply an auxiliary character to either Superman or Batman now a days.

The most likely explanations: They have a bad movie, they're waiting for Guardians to pass, or both.

The former explanation doesn't make any sense. If you have a bad movie you want to build hype so that at the very least you can have an explosive weekend before the poor WoM sinks the boat. They've already spent what they have on their film. Not advertising it because they don't think it's a good film wouldn't be a sensible play.

The latter may be the case, but it'd still be an awful play. Maybe ramp up the advertising after Guardians passes, but don't wait until it passes to even start.

Leagues more charm.

Captain America is pretty much the moral center of the Marvel Universe. WW is great, but even a lot of people who like her can usually admit that she's kind of bland. There are even running jokes about it.

Third comic down is basically Wonder Woman in a nutshell.

Lois_Lane

Yes, he does. What does wonder woman stand for? Who are the sidr characters that form her permanent ensemble?

Steve has the hellboys, sharon carter, maria hill, bucky,falcon, the red skull, hydra , and Baron Zemo.

Wonder Woman doesn't even have a permanent side kick.

Gekko87

Idk bobby your brute force marketing idea is just too risky. Sounds like something out of EA marketing (hello Titanfall). Just because it's the "traditional" way to market a comic book movie? Maybe if Warner Bros had that Disney money they could do that.
How is that image misleading? It's not like Wonder Woman doesn't have multiple characters that could have their own videos.
Who are these "multiple characters" in this this movie cause I only see two (I've been on a media black out so shoot me if there's more) and random soldiers don't count.

Boke1879

I assumed you were referring to the actors, but yes, it's the same answer just talking about the characters.

That said, I wouldn't use the word "charm" to describe either character on paper.

Both characters are nothing more than archetypes.

WW has no ideal? Wut?

Does helping out batman and superman count as an ideal? Because thats like, the only major things shes a part of now a days. Like Martian Manhunter or Cyborg, shes a boring character will little autonomy compared to the moneymakers.

Madness

No idea was coming in like 5 weeks until reading OP. No interest in anything DC since Suicide Squad and I used to love them perhaps more than Marvel as a kid. They deserve everything they get.

Theorry

Does helping out batman and superman count as an ideal? Because thats like, the only major things shes a part of now a days. Like Martian Manhunter or Cyborg, shes a boring character will little autonomy compared to the moneymakers.

You should read up about WW first. Because otherwise this is pointless.

SpaceWolf

Banned

God.

It's starting to get to the point where I feel like every time I pick up a modern comic book involving Harley Quinn these days, I'm almost always guaranteed to walk away feeling incredibly uneasy about the way she's being characterized. It definitely feels like, over the last few years, DC have really developed this deep-rooted obsession with sexualizing Harley as a character much as possible. forcing her into increasingly skimpy, revealing outfits in comparison to her original harlequin costume, in addition to emphasizing her increasing portrayal a lot of the time as some kind of restless nymphomaniac.

I don't read enough DC comics to know if that's been a general trend with a lot of DC's female characters over the last few years (I know Starfire underwent a similarly horrendous, hyper-sexualised reimagining for New 52) but it strikes me as strange that in many ways, DC seems to be going backwards and not forwards in regards to how progressively it's treating certain members of its female cast.

Boke1879

God.

It's starting to get to the point where I feel like every time I pick up a modern comic book involving Harley Quinn these days, I'm almost always guaranteed to walk away feeling incredibly uncomfortable about how she's being characterized. It feels like over the last few years, DC have really developed this deep-rooted obsession with sexualizing Harley as a character much as possible. forcing her into increasingly skimpy, revealing outfits in comparison to her original harlequin costume, in addition to emphasizing her increasing portrayal a lot of the time as some kind of restless nymphomaniac.

I don't read enough DC comics to know if that's been a general trend with a lot of DC's female characters over the last few years (I know Starfire underwent a similarly horrendous, hyper-sexualised reimagining for New 52) but it strikes me as strange that in many ways, DC seems to be going backwards and not forwards in regards to how progressively it's treating members of its female cast.

To be fair her character was almost always sexualized since her inception.

Oersted

Yes, he does. What does wonder woman stand for? Who are the sidr characters that form her permanent ensemble?

Steve has the hellboys, sharon carter, maria hill, bucky,falcon, the red skull, hydra , and Baron Zemo.

Wonder Woman doesn't even have a permanent side kick.

Iron Man had no sidekick till the second movie, villains noone remembers and comics noone reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom