• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman now tracking to have opening on par with other DCEU movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-us-opening-projection/
Alth0ugh still nearly two months away from release, “Wonder Woman” is on a path to earn $83 million in its opening weekend in North America. According to long-term projections by BoxOfficePro, the Warner Bros. will likely finish its domestic theatrical run with about $225 million.

While those are both impressive figures, they would be the lowest to date of any releases in the fledgling DC Extended Universe.

The studio’s shared superhero universe officially began in 2013 with director Zack Snyder’s “Man of Steel,” which opened with $116 million on its way to a $291 million U.S. total. It continued last year with Snyder’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” which introduced Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, and kicked off its $330 million domestic run with a $166 million debut weekend. Director David Ayer’s “Suicide Squad” bowed in August with $133.7 million before ending its North American run with $325 million.

Sorry to my Canadian brother for stealing his job

kunonabi

It's wonder woman so this shouldn't be a surprise. Also didn't Man of Steel give away a bunch of tickets for some walmart promotion or something?

But will it have a better RT and Metacritic score than the previous entries? I mean, the grosses have gone up while the scores have gone down so far.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's a perfect storm of failure unfortunately. The DCEU films so far have been mediocre-to-bad and a superhero film with a female lead isn't entirely a proven success yet.

Hopefully Captain Marvel can break that barrier.

smurfx

get some go again
i have zero desire to see any dc solo movie based on the past couple of movies. i might watch the justice league movie though.

Litan

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Snyder is the biggest mistake Warner has made when it comes to the DCEU.
That's just not the guy you hire to handle the most important movies in your cinematic universe.

I just want the movie to be good.

It'd be nice for a DCEU movie to have positive word of mouth for once.
I have a feeling this might be the general reception to the movie:
neutral.jpg

Strike

They're running out of good will. Hopefully it turns out decent because I have no faith in Justice League being able to turn things around.

Prompto

Banned
Why are people talking like an 83 million dollar opening would be bad for Wonder Woman? That's better than I expected. Doctor Strange/Logan numbers would be great for it.

Now let's just hope it's good.

I hope I'm wrong, but so far the trailers have made it look as bad as the other movies in this cinematic travesty DC calls a universe. START OVER. Stop digging your heels in.

Is that 0 in the first quoted word a hint towards something?

Wonder Woman is an interesting character, moreso to me than Superman at least so while that is kind of a pity to me if this plays out like that, Warner Bros sucks at making superhero movies (if not all movies now) and anything that gets them to drop the grim dark 13 year old boy vision of what $120M+ superhero blockbusters should be is fine by me

I have a feeling this might be the general reception to the movie:

I'm already getting the sense what's going to happen is people will leave going "It was okay. Chris Pine basically stole the movie."

And then you have to deal with the narrative that the best DCEU film is an okay-at-best Wonder Woman movie where the star is Captain Kirk.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Eh tbf this is in comparison to Superman, Batman Vs Superman ensemble Suicide Squad etc. Even in the best of times it was unlikely to beat those movies in gross.

JayTapp

Man it's going to suck when they blame this on audiences not wanting to see female-led action movies.

My blame would be but on not wanting to see what looks like a terrible movie in the same style as other boring DC movies.

Female lead or not. With the higher than ever cost of movie tickets, I'm not taking chances anymore at the theatre.

Ashhong

In what world is that a bad number for the first female superhero movie?

Ah, the title is by Slayven, not the article. Carry on.

Shocking.

If this film is yet another stinker I wonder it effects Justice League. That one needs to a $1 billion film if the DCEU is to survive.

In what world is that a bad number for the first female superhero movie?

I see you have blocked Supergirl, Elektra, and Catwoman from your memory. So did I.

sirap

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Snyder is the biggest mistake Warner has made when it comes to the DCEU.
That's just not the guy you hire to handle the most important movies in your cinematic universe.

Finally! It's about time someone said it.

:p

I'm already getting the sense what's going to happen is people will leave going "It was okay. Chris Pine basically stole the movie."

And then you have to deal with the narrative that the best DCEU film is an okay-at-best Wonder Woman movie where the star is Captain Kirk.
And wait for the comments about the jarring themed being played.

Speaking of which, who is doing the score for this?

ZOONAMI

It doesn't have Superman or Batman, Wonder Woman probably needs decent word of mouth

Honestly I feel like word of mouth is what made bvs and sucicide squad successful.

Critically panned but it seems like a lot of people like both films (60+% community for both on RT).

Litan

It's a perfect storm of failure unfortunately. The DCEU films so far have been mediocre-to-bad and a superhero film with a female lead isn't entirely a proven success yet.

Hopefully Captain Marvel can break that barrier.

This is what I was thinking. I actually want more female-led action movies and this is what I'm worried about.
Last year was a record year for female-led movies. Even if WW doesn't do all that well, that trend isn't going to stop. We still get the Sirens and Batgirl movie. We still get CapMarvel. We still get Atomic Blonde, and Star Wars and numerous other female-led stuff in the future.
One movie won't do much to stop that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom