• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World could be one crop failure away from an actual food crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
AstroLad said:
are you like Shard but for end-of-days news?

I hate the fact that he is one giant troll yet it's fine, he can keep being a troll freely.

Mudkips

Banned
Wii said:

You bumped a 2-and-a-half-month-old thread with vaguely related links and copy-and-pasted headlines, with no other discussion, insight, comment, or thought. And you did it because you've been Juniored and you can't make new threads, so you had no choice but to bump one of your old threads.

Shameless.

SmokyDave

I keep a Lady-Farm and a taste for the other, other white meat just in case shit goes down.

Mudkips said:
You bumped a 2-and-a-half-month-old thread with vaguely related links and copy-and-pasted headlines, with no other discussion, insight, comment, or thought. And you did it because you've been Juniored and you can't make new threads, so you had no choice but to bump one of your old threads.

Shameless.
Are you not afraid?!

For shame.

Raistlin

First sentence starts off with a bang.

The Philippines, the world’s biggest rice buyer

If that was the case, who gives a shit. It's that they are the world's biggest rice producer that matters. WTF - nice editing.

NotWii

Banned
Mudkips said:

Shameless.
I did it because rising food prices are pretty important news to anyone who buys their food, which is practically everyone on GAF last time I checked...
Rising food prices can turn into another food crisis like in 2008, if you look at what's going on in the world right now, it's not exactly difficult to see how this news is relevant to this thread

So what are your insights, comments or thoughts on this news? Or do you have none to add as well?
Shameless, absolutely shameless...

sonicfan

Venerable Member
I guess you all haven't been listening.......

Glenn-beck.jpg

BUY

http://www.foodinsurance.com/

Wii said:
I did it because rising food prices are pretty important news to anyone who buys their food, which is practically everyone on GAF last time I checked...
Rising food prices can turn into another food crisis like in 2008, if you look at what's going on in the world right now, it's not exactly difficult to see how this news is relevant to this thread

So what are your insights, comments or thoughts on this news? Or do you have none to add as well?
Shameless, absolutely shameless...

Most of these crisis only seriously affect poorer countries. I never noticed anything from that 2008 food crisis. Hell, before seeing this topic, I didn't even know there was one :S

ToxicAdam

Oil prices rise = Food prices rise.

Eventually, if oil raises high enough, more production will switch back to local growers. Which is a good thing.

You look around America and the amount of Farmer's Markets (operating year round) has exploded. Not to mention many farmers are using new technology to extend growing seasons well into the winter months to meet the demand.

DonMigs85

So much doom and gloom lately!
Birds, fish and crabs dying, earhquakes, Cavendish banana imminent extinction, Obama about to announce UFO contact...

Mael

DonMigs85 said:
So much doom and gloom lately!
Birds, fish and crabs dying, earhquakes, Cavendish banana imminent extinction, Obama about to announce UFO contact...

To be fair that's a Wii thread.
Wouldn't be a Wii thread without doom & gloom.

NotWii

Banned
Mael said:
To be fair that's a Wii thread.
Wouldn't be a Wii thread without doom & gloom.
I wanted to make a light hearted thread, but I'm not allowed
There's a lot of good stuff coming as well, there is blooming

I Push Fat Kids said:
Someone should write a screenplay where every Wii thread comes true.
Why bother, it'll all happen before the film is made
Time is almost up

Mael

Wii said:

Don't sweat it, that's just a running gag on my part...

jakncoke

Banned
Wii said:

Why bother, it'll all happen before the film is made
Time is almost up
:lol

NotWii

Banned
'One poor harvest away from chaos'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...8247029/One-poor-harvest-away-from-chaos.html

Jan 7, 2011!

OSHIT!
Normalcy Bias theory is about to be tested globally
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Normalcy_bias

nw-food-graphic_1109261a.jpg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...-spark-fears-of-social-unrest/article1859417/

Further economic issues will push food prices to the moon!
Now would be a good time to learn gardening

Let's build giant multistory greenhouses in major cities
That will keep prices down, create real jobs, fresher food for citydwellers, a better idea of where their food comes from, and the extra surplus can be sold or given to poorer/disaster stricken nations

We have the technology/resources, but do we have the heart?

xbhaskarx

"production is down"?? That graph seems to show a significant increase in production over the last decade, certainly outpacing population growth easily....

xbhaskarx

Wii said:
Further economic issues will push food prices to the moon!

If you're going to be another Thomas Malthus, you might want to read up on what happened between "The Population Bomb" author Paul Ehrlich and economist Julian Simon.

Slavik81

There's really no need to worry about a global famine. We spend so much of our current food production on raising animals that in the event of a disaster, we could vastly increase our food supply by simply eating less meat. Or perhaps, rather, by briefly eating more meat as we cull the animals we can no longer afford to feed.

Wow, I guess this is just American pretentiousness but it seems insane to me that a $20 increase per TON of rice could have a huge impact on a country. I mean, I realize that to people in nations surviving on rice a dollar is worth a lot more, but man, I can't imagine that if lives were at stake that no one could be found to donate a few grand to feed people.

Kind of realized as I was typing this that countries with high populations people go through an unbelievable amount of rice per year, but still, if $20 more for a TON of rice is enough to lead to a food crisis, that blows my mind.

I think the real downside is that as the world population shoots up, we're going to have more and more food crises as we're going to start hitting the point where the world struggles to adequately feed the population. We're at that point now but it is only going to get worse from here on out.

Along with surging world population, we're going to start hearing things about fresh water crises, tapping out aquifer reserves, and things of that effect. Stuff that we all took for granted will now start to become serious issues.

Slavik81 said:
There's really no need to worry about a global famine. We spend so much of our current food production on raising animals that in the event of a disaster, we could vastly increase our food supply by simply eating less meat. Or perhaps, rather, by briefly eating more meat as we cull the animals we can no longer afford to feed.

Hmm, eating more grain so we're all less healthy and die off sooner. That is a pretty good idea!

Wii said:
Let's build giant multistory greenhouses in major cities
That will keep prices down, create real jobs, fresher food for citydwellers, a better idea of where their food comes from, and the extra surplus can be sold or given to poorer/disaster stricken nations

We have the technology/resources, but do we have the heart?

What is the use of this, except for fruit? You can't grow rice in a major city.

And lots of foods have to be processed and packaged first, so you would be driving food from your cities to factories (and you probably don't want the factories in the middle of a living area), so that just adds to traffic.

Growing food next door sounds nice, but I just can't see it working. For a small community, sure. But a city with millions of people? I doubt it.

No, we just need better management of current food. The amount we throw away in the West is enormous, we need to work on that.

And effeciency in food production in the third-world can probably improve a lot still. I doubt a farm in Africa produces nearly as much as a farm in the United States. Work on that and make sure the food produced there can actually be bought for a fair price in the same country. Now we are just shipping stuff from South-America, Asia and Africa to Europe. Stuff we can easily grow here ourselves.

Furoba

Slavik81 said:

what about current famines, then?

still, pretty crazy world, if you consider that we could feed everyone if we produced less meat, didn't destroy food to sustain market prices, or didn't let so much food go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom