• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 7/02: Netherlands Vs. Brazil, Ghana vs Uruguay |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

catfish said:
If Uruguay actually managed to pull a freak world cup win out of the bag, that will go down as football legend.

Winning against Holland with all these players missing would be legendary. Not impossible.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
farnham said:
compare this foul to the one from melo
I have zero sympathy for players that go against the spirit of the game. This is also why I hate divers so much.

If they are going to represent my country, I want them to win fair and straight, and I expect the same from other teams.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
farnham said:
compare this foul to the one from melo

Melo's stamp on Robben was a malicious and disgusting attempt at injuring him. Saurez hurt nobody with his foul. You're an idiot if you think they compare in any way.

Salsa

Funky Papa said:
I have zero sympathy for players that go against the spirit of the game. This is also why I hate divers so much.

If they are going to represent my country, I want them to win fair and straight, and I expect the same from other teams.

I also expect the referee to make the right fuckin calls.

Its probably the SADDEST thing that could possibly happen to get this far and lose because of some fuckin horrible referee.

AND DAMMIT PLEASE DONT QUOTE ME :( i cant keep arguing, ill just get angrier at people saying "lol what 3 penalties are you talking about? lolol HANDBALL SUAREZ OHGOHOH" this has no end.

When i find the whole match, on youtube or something i dunno. Ill make some gifs of the referee`s bullshit im talking about, and that should be the end of it.

FabCam

On another note, people in Manchester must be wondering who the fuck this Robinho guy is because he sure as hell didn't turn up to City games last year.

Arjen

People are still going on about the handball? :lol
He made a foul, got punished for it, end of story
I'm glad suarez is on my team, dude knows how to score, and he does everything to win.

Nyx

Arjen said:
People are still going on about the handball? :lol
He made a foul, got punished for it, end of story
I'm glad suarez is on my team, dude knows how to score, and he does everything to win.

What bothers me the most is his reaction afterwards, I surely hope we punish Uruguay on tuesday for it.

NSider

Stop whining about the handball being "cheating", people. Suarez didn't get away with cheating since he was punished to the full extent of the law.

People applaud defenders and midfielders who break dangerous counter attacks with "professional" fouls. They get cautioned but a very good scoring chance is almost completely gone. Suarez turned an almost certain scoring chance THAT CAME FROM AN OFFSIDE to an 80% chance from the penalty spot. His impulsive gamble paid off big time!

29ofts4.gif

:lol

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I've had a night to sleep and think over the events of last night. We have to be honest, Ghana fucked it up for all of us. You don't miss a penalty like that. You should play it safe and put in the right or left lower corner of the net.

However, Suarez is a dickhead. And the penalty should have never happened in the first place, as it was a goal for sure. For damn sure.

I wouldn't be proud of this if I was a Uruguayan, especially considering the fact that there's teams, such as Germany, Argentina, Holland etc. that are considerably better than Ghana waiting to pounce on Uruguay. It was a win that shouldn't have happened, but it did. Much like the denied goal for Lampard.

NSider said:
Stop whining about the handball being "cheating", people. Suarez didn't get away with cheating since he was punished to the full extent of the law.

People applaud defenders and midfielders who break dangerous counter attacks with "professional" fouls. They get cautioned but a very good scoring chance is almost completely gone. Suarez turned an almost certain scoring chance THAT CAME FROM AN OFFSIDE to an 80% chance from the penalty spot. His impulsive gamble paid off big time!

29ofts4.gif

:lol
to bad we don't get to kick suarez in the teeth now.... (i'm for feyenoord :p)

-viper- said:
Fuck Uruguay and fuck Suarez the cheating motherfucking cunt. I'm fuelled with rage and anger after this pathetic display of cheating and deceit.

Ghana were robbed of their place in the semi finals.
This.

dabig2

sumo390 said:
If Uruguay wins the whole thing I think I could call this tournament a success just for the reactions.

I'm actually hoping for this now as well. Before I was piggy-backing onto either Argentina or Holland, but now, I want Uruguay to go for the gold. Winning their next game would be legendary enough as they're heavy underdogs but winning the WC after yesterday's events? Stuff of legends

Oh, and the haters ghana hate angle is enticing as well :lol

Boozeroony

Gyan :(

A lot of Ghanese people living here. Really wanted them to win.

Dick move by Suarez, but got punished and Ghana could not finish it. All by the book. It might've been offside, but no one on the pitch protested on that.

jamesinclair said:
I agree, and thats the biggest weakness for the brasilian team: they've turned into europeans.

A great example is to watch the UEFA Champions league final and the Libertadores final. The champions league final is low energy, everyone has made their money, they just need to show up and pass the ball around. The LIbertadores final, theyre playing for EVERYTHING.

Yes tactically unaware football is much more exciting to watch, but lets be honest, how many people can think of a classic Copa Libertadores final that can compare to Istanbul?

NSider

Boozeroony said:
It might've been offside, but no one on the pitch protested on that.
Not protesting makes it right? I seem to recall seeing the Ghana players celebrating the penalty like they already won.

skybaby

jamesinclair said:
I agree, and thats the biggest weakness for the brasilian team: they've turned into europeans.

A great example is to watch the UEFA Champions league final and the Libertadores final. The champions league final is low energy, everyone has made their money, they just need to show up and pass the ball around. The LIbertadores final, theyre playing for EVERYTHING.
Felipão is a deadlock for a return. What does that mean? 13 players from Brazilian teams in 2002 vs 2 in 2010 (1 of them Robinho). As I said, early in the thread, fuck this Dunga team with a bunch of Felipe Melos! Go Holland! :D

Yagharek

Out of intertest, was it actually offside? I have no real position on this.

So far I see the following arguments
a) The free kick shouldnt have been paid
b) Suarez got sent off
c) Awarding the pk is all you can do (not award a goal)

So is the claim the shot was from offside valid? I dont see how it could have been with two defenders on the line but if there is footage to prove it Id love to see.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Suarez: "I have the 'Hand of God' now"

Luis Suarez says he now has the 'Hand of God' after his controversial handball helped Uruguay reach the semi-finals of the World Cup.

Ajax striker Suarez's deliberate handball on the goal-line in the final minute of extra-time prevented Dominic Adiyiah's header from sending Ghana through to the last four.

Suarez was sent off for his action and then danced with glee on the sidelines when Asamoah Gyan smacked the resultant penalty against the crossbar.

Uruguay went on to prevail 4-2 in the shoot-out to set up a semi-final clash with Holland and Suarez's handball drew comparisons to Diego Maradona's infamous goal against England at the 1986 finals.

Prolific front-man Suarez is now claiming the 'Hand of God' mantle for himself and insists he had no choice but to block Adiyiah's header.

"This was the end of the World Cup. I had no choice. I have the 'Hand of God' now," said Suarez.

"I did it so that my team-mates could win the penalty shoot-out. When I saw Gyan miss the penalty it was a great joy."

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,17368_6243163,00.html

Suarez, you legend, you.

Boozeroony

NSider said:
Not protesting makes it right? I seem to recall seeing the Ghana players celebrating the penalty like they already won.

It was such a close call and the situation was very chaotic. Refs were prolly looking at different things (hand-ball, shirt pulling etc.).

Wouldnt Uruguay be protesting? Guess they did not consider that at the time.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Boozeroony said:
It was such a close call and the situation was very chaotic. Refs were prolly looking at different things (hand-ball, shirt pulling etc.).

Wouldnt Uruguay be protesting? Guess they did not consider that at the time.

I'd say it's a refreshing change if players keep playing and trust that linesmen will make the right calls without being told so by the players. I always think it's sad how the whole defense stops playing to stare at the linesman and rasing their arms when someone has the ball inside their penalty box.

Yagharek

Hmm, just found some footage and it was offside.

Incredibly hard call to make though but the argument is certainly valid. Oh well. Always going to be some controversy in football. Hopefully it doesnt have too big an implication in the rest of the tournament. :D

Boozeroony

John Dunbar said:
Suarez: "I have the 'Hand of God' now"

Suarez, you legend, you.

Oh dear. I'm an Ajax supporter, but Suarez is a cunt. I can understand his foul, but "Hand of God"? Really?

He is overrated anyway. The amount of chances he needs to score is huge. Ok, he scored loads of goals, but many of those were the 4-0 or 5-1 against Willem II.

Totakeke

Suarez played by the rules and it was Ghana's fault for being unable to finish. Blame the rules and Ghana themselves, but still Suarez is a dick and has been my most disliked player of the world cup so far even before the last game. If he had been more well known I'd say he'd get as much hate as C.Ronaldo had for his diving and whiny antics.

Boozeroony

Cerebral Assassin said:
Van Persie is having a scan on his arm according to Sky Sports, any better info from Holland?

Gives Van Marwijk an alibi to put Huntelaar up front. Or Kuyt, with Elia/Affelay on left. RvP has been shit this WC.

TdF, WC and Wimbledon. Too much.

Steeven

Boozeroony said:
Oh dear. I'm an Ajax supporter, but Suarez is a cunt. I can understand his foul, but "Hand of God"? Really?

He is overrated anyway. The amount of chances he needs to score is huge. Ok, he scored loads of goals, but many of those were the 4-0 or 5-1 against Willem II.

Please don't give me that crap. Have you seen the team of Uruguay. It's not that good, so it's hard for him, even for Forlan, to stand above the rest and win the matches. I mean he's not Messi but I'm sure he can hold his own in a big team.

Boozeroony

Steeven said:
So what? When he plays the opponents may put two defenders on him to stop him off just because he's threatening, so other players in the team can breathe a little more, and hey, maybe create chances and score goals? Or did I see another Ajax last season?

Not saying he is a bad player, but most Ajax supporters seem to jack off to him. He always goes for own success. In a Mickey Mouse league, he can get oppertunities, but in the EPL or PD or even Serie A, he will get a much tougher time I think. He will get less chances to score and effectiveness will be more crucial. I mean, he was defended by Patrick Pothuizen from last season. Hell, I could score with him in my back. (well, not really, but you know what I mean).

markao

Cerebral Assassin said:
Van Persie is having a scan on his arm according to Sky Sports, any better info from Holland?
No, real news on how serious, if anything at all, Robin already stated he would do a Drogba if necessary ;)

suarez595reutersrwp8.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The best outcome should have been:

Twat handballs off the line. Linesman/assistant ref, realising the injustice of it all, doesn't blow for handball, but instead signals that the goal crossed the line. The wrong decision objectively, but the right one in the situation. Goal awarded to Ghana, Ghana wins.

Later on, the replays will show it didn't cross the line. Fifa will slap the linesman wrist, but the media will praise the justice that was done this day.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Suarez naming himself as having the hand of god sucked about 90% of the cool out of it.

mclem

The BBC have a pretty even-handed blog on the subject:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2010/07/luis_suarez_hero_or_villain.html#228885

My own thoughts are that Suarez himself broke the rules of the game in a manner entirely covered by the rulebook; he was punished entirely within the scope of the rulebook.

However, there's no way I can say that you should be able to *win* the game by handballing, which is what happened. That's the bit that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The handball converted a certain loss to a chance of a loss, and that's what I dislike; it's very much against what I feel is the spirit of the game.

So, I feel that the rulebook is inadequate for this situation. The question is whether that inadequacy should be 'fixed' - after all, this was a very extreme situation, that's likely to never happen again - and if so, *how*. Awarding a goal since it would have gone in *feels* rightest, but there's some situations where that could be touch and go (how well would Hawkeye cope in this sort of situation, with so many other bodies around?).

ArjanN

Lach said:
Is there a way that Suarez is going to be banned from the Final (if Uru beats Holland)?
I really feel that there needs to be consequenzes for this and that actions like his hands-save must not become a calculable risk (for which he is now celebrated as a hero and martyr).

Don't worry, they won't beat Holland. So it's effectively the end of the tournament for him anyway.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
mrklaw said:
The best outcome should have been:

Twat handballs off the line. Linesman/assistant ref, realising the injustice of it all, doesn't blow for handball, but instead signals that the goal crossed the line. The wrong decision objectively, but the right one in the situation. Goal awarded to Ghana, Ghana wins.

Later on, the replays will show it didn't cross the line. Fifa will slap the linesman wrist, but the media will praise the justice that was done this day.

Suarez deserved the red card, but the situation was started by a bullshit free kick and the goal would have been offside. Ghana having scored from there would have been an injustice. The match going to penalties was the fairest outcome.

ArjanN said:
Don't worry, they won't beat Holland. So it's effectively the end of the tournament for him anyway.

There's still the bronze medal match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom