• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 7/03: Argentina vs. Germany, Paraguay vs Spain |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always-honest said:
although i believe women can compete in almost every sport, they REALLY suck ass in soccer.

Me and ten of my friends (who never played for a soccer team) could easily beat the world champion in women soccer.

seriously.. it's horrible to look at because they are so bad.

Ofcourse there ARE some women with a bit of more talent ad could even play in a mens team, but thee isn't a female soccer team that really shines as a whole.

Always-honest
(Today, 06:57 AM)

I know some women who'd castrate you for saying that.

Haunted

wmat said:
The octopus probably has been conditioned to favor Germany. With food or whatever.
People are only jumping on the story because he accurately predicted Serbia - Germany.

Lots of zoos let their animals predict shit for publicity, but Paul is the only one with a 100% prediction rate so far. :lol

Over the years I've played against some REALLY good female rep and A squads that could smash a lot of the players on my current team! Please, there are such things as good female football players.

With that being said, I think my wife bought me a Dutch Jersey for my birthday but I can't confirm till she decides to give me my gift. She kept asking me who I thought would win and which player I liked the most that's still in it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
xbhaskarx said:
Uhh, obviously you have never watched the WNBA, or women attempting to play baseball or American football.

Nothing wrong with Women's American Football AFAIK,.

LingerieBowl_fc.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah soccer is one of the few sports where stamina and skill matter a lot more than physical prowess. Messi wouldn't be able to get a lookin for any other team sport but he's the best football player in the world. The women teams are average for many reasons but that doesn't mean women can't play football.

Peronthious said:
Always-honest
(Today, 06:57 AM)

I know some women who'd castrate you for saying that.
they'd still suck ass at playing soccer.
trust me, i'm as emancipated as men can get. but so far (and i don't really understand why) the gap in quality between male and female soccer is HUUUUUUUUUUGE.. just huge.
I was flabbergasted when i was watching a female World Cup tournament for the first time.
Looked like complete amateurs (they are, but still.. real amateurs)

It's way different in other sports. Tennis for example. Sure, male tennis is a bit faster and they hit harder, but in terms of technique, i love to watch womens tennis. Goddamn, i wish Hingis was still playing.

maybe it will get better

Always-honest said:
they'd still suck ass at playing soccer.
trust me, i'm as emancipated as men can get. but so far (and i don't really understand why) the gap in quality between male and female soccer is HUUUUUUUUUUGE.. just huge.
I was flabbergasted when i was watching a female World Cup tournament for the first time.
Looked like complete amateurs (they are, but still.. real amateurs)

It's way different in other sports. Tennis for example. Sure, male tennis is a bit faster and they hit harder, but in terms of technique, i love to watch womens tennis. Goddamn, i wish Hingis was still playing.

maybe it will get better

Even in tennis, men have more fluid strokes.

Des0lar said:
Actually women are better at soccer than men; there was a match against the top german women's football team and the men's. The women beat the men really really bad.
no.. and i'm really not saying this out of disrespect towards women. Maybe it's because men have been playing proffesional soccer for so long, and sure, there ARE some women that have reasonably good technique, but womens soccer is laughable compared to mens soccer.

HOWEVER, i'm sure there will be leaps in quality over the years.

faridmon

I didn't know there were lot of people in the WC thread that are late to the part (i.e. buying the national tops) I bought my Danmark 2 weeks before the world Cup :D

Also, about Women playing football, its tru, Women > Men
if you are a Norwegian like me :(or American and English

faridmon said:
I didn't know there were lot of people in the WC thread that are late to the part (i.e. buying the national tops) I bought my Danmark 2 weeks before the world Cup :D
I still got the Euro 2008 shirt (still don't know why I bought that one, ugliest Germany short in a long time :lol), so that was enough for now. But yeah, I've got to buy the World Cup winner shirt now :D

faridmon

Milchmonster said:
I still got the Euro 2008 shirt (still don't know why I bought that one, ugliest Germany short in a long time :lol), so that was enough for now. But yeah, I've got to buy the World Cup winner shirt now :D
Go for it mate. The Danmark one was worth it becaue how awsome Adidas have designed it, so I assume the German one will be Awsome squared, I would have gotten that but another splashing of £40 is way too expensive to me.

FUCK YOU DANMARK FOR CRASHING OUT SO EARLY AGAINST BLOODY JAPAN.

Road

Tence said:
You made that entry yourself didn't you!

;)

As far as I know he resigned after the match, the rest of the staff was then put on non-active by the Brasilian football association.
Dunga had always said he'd only stay for 4 years (which means he'd resign after the WC regardless).

Yesterday, he supposedly said he could continue if the CBF wanted, but they didn't, so, technically, he was fired (and everyone else in the staff as well).

Wellscha said:
unlike other "high & mighty" Dutchies, You're honest. You do think that there's a possibility of an upset. :D
i also think they should scrap the entire game for the third place.
such nonsense to make completly emotional drained players play a worthless match.

but maybe it would be nice for uruguay.

Thrakier

Blablurn said:
bought a brandnew bayern shirt before the world cup started. but it has robben on the back. so i was afraid to wear it amongst the germans around here :lol

You shouldn't be afraid of wearing a bayern shirt. You should be ashamed.

SamuraiX-

2San said:
Paraguay played really close to each other. I don't know how to say it in English, but it's something like keeping the lines close to each other. Which basically means really compact playing. Germany uses the whole field which gives more leeway for bad passes. Spain lacks a winger to force a bigger field, but they don't need that against Germany. The difference between Germany and Paraguay is that the whole Paraguay team defends and doesn't want to go forwards unless there is a counter.

So you're basically saying that Spain will have an easier time scoring on Germany? Really?

If Argentina, one of the premier offensive teams in the tournament with their attacking line of Messi, Tevez, and Higuain was shut down, do you really believe that Spain could attempt to do any further damage?

tirant said:
:lol :lol

Wow. Quite an impressive retort. I have no idea how I'll be able to counter that!

msv

Wellscha said:
unlike other "high & mighty" Dutchies, You're honest. You do think that there's a possibility of an upset. :D
It's football dude, anything can happen :D

But still, we're gonna own your asses, GO GO GOOO NL GOALE MAKEEEEEEEEEEE

Thrakier

Always-honest said:
ehhh... come on

What? I'm German. I have to live with those guys. And it's not a nice thing. Especially if in foreign countries germany basically equals bayer in terms of image, which is not funny or true at all.

Rubezh

This World Cup has already been so fucking insane with the number of surprise exits. That's why I'm going to say Uruguay are going to win tommorow!

CTLance

Thrakier said:
[SNIP]Especially if in foreign countries germany basically equals bayer in terms of image, which is not funny or true at all.
You think we like it? I am so sick and tired of being expected to wear Lederhosen and speak with a funky Bavarian accent. No, I do not drink beer, no, I do not live in Schloß Neuschwanstein, and no, I certainly couldn't give a rats arse about the Oktoberfest. :lol

I will admit that some Bavarians are outright erosive in both personality and ideology, but "pars pro toto" does not apply here. There are certainly enough stereotypes to be found with other states' citizens.

Aaaanyway. How about that football thing. Neat, huh.

Sidenote: I think it's amazing how Krautgaf crawls out of the woodwork in a thread like this. I had no idea we were so numerous. Awesome. Today, neogaf; Tomorrow, the whole world!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
CTLance said:
I will admit that some Bavarians are outright erosive in both personality and ideology, but "pars pro toto" does not apply here. There are certainly enough stereotypes to be found with other states' citizens.
True, true. I'm from Hamburg and I'm not your typical Fischkopp. Although you _do_ hear the accent when I speak, no doubt. Edit: Almost as heavy as this (except the Plattdütsch part): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lqQGoFTXUM
Sidenote: I think it's amazing how Krautgaf crawls out of the woodwork in a thread like this. I had no idea we were so numerous. Awesome. Today, neogaf; Tomorrow, the whole world!
Not again, we've failed 2 times already.

Thrakier said:
What? I'm German. I have to live with those guys. And it's not a nice thing. Especially if in foreign countries germany basically equals bayer in terms of image, which is not funny or true at all.
so there is no pride in Bayern reaching the Champions League final from a German point of view? hell, i'm dutch.. we are almost geneticly programmed to hate germany :p

MrSerrels

SamuraiX- said:
So you're basically saying that Spain will have an easier time scoring on Germany? Really?

If Argentina, one of the premier offensive teams in the tournament with their attacking line of Messi, Tevez, and Higuain was shut down, do you really believe that Spain could attempt to do any further damage?

I know this isn't directed at me, but Spain are far superior to Argentina.

Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, Alonso, Torres.

I'm saying absolutely that Spain have a better chance. I think Spain will beat Germany.

lupin23rd

Any update on that Larissa riquelme chick and her thanks for the run striptease? She was trending on twitter earlier today and thought I saw a page where she was going to do it despite Paraguay losing.

SamuraiX-

MrSerrels said:
I know this isn't directed at me, but Spain are far superior to Argentina.

Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, Alonso, Torres.

I'm saying absolutely that Spain have a better chance. I think Spain will beat Germany.

Far superior? Have you been watching the games? They may look "far superior" on paper, but let's take a look at what we have seen so far from them.

GOALS
Argentina
Higuain - 4
Messi - 0
Tevez - 2

Spain
Iniesta 1
Xavi - 0
Villa - 5
Alonso - 0
Torres - 0

SHOT PERCENTAGE (Shots on Goal/Shots)
Argentina
Higuain - 79% (11/14)
Messi - 41% (12/29)
Tevez - 36% (4/11)

Spain
Iniesta - 30% (3/10)
Xavi - 0% (0/5)
Villa - 50% (11/22)
Alonso - 1% (1/11)
Torres - 15% (2/13)

Argentina as a team: 42% (39/93)
Spain as a team: 29% (26/89)

David Villa has been a nice spark for Spain, but other than him the other star players haven't shown up at all this World Cup. Other than Villa, Iniesta has been the only one who has scored a goal for Spain. If Germany is able to lock Villa down the same way they did Messi, Spain will not have a chance. The only thing I believe will be different for Spain is their defensive line won't allow such easy penetration as Argentina allowed, resulting in a loss that'll be less embarrassing than the margin that Argentina lost by.

"Far superior?" Don't kid yourself, man. All you're doing is setting yourself up for heartbreak and disappointment.

Wellscha said:
An upset is quite a possibility. Brazil was supposed to beat Holland with ease, but that didn't happen. The biggest mistake would be to march into the game tomorrow just expecting to win.

However, I still have my hopes on Holland winning.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
SamuraiX- said:
David Villa has been a nice spark for Spain, but other than him the other star players haven't shown up at all this World Cup. Other than Villa, Iniesta has been the only one who has scored a goal for Spain. If Germany is able to lock Villa down the same way they did Messi, Spain will not have a chance. The only thing I believe will be different for Spain is their defensive line won't allow such easy penetration as Argentina allowed, resulting in a loss that'll be less embarrassing than the margin that Argentina lost by.

"Far superior?" Don't kid yourself, man. All you're doing is setting yourself up for heartbreak and disappointment.
it's never about locking down Villa - it's controlling tempo by limiting what Xavi and Iniesta can do with the ball. Schweinsteiger needs to have another big game in order for Germany to win (and I think they will).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom