• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wes said:
England
125px-Flag_of_England.svg.png

FIFA World Ranking: 9th
Odds to win: 8/1
How they qualified: Won their qualifying group with ease winning all but one game (a loss to the Ukraine)
Info: Perennial underachievers in major competitions, have performed exceptionally under recent managerial appointment Fabio Capello except against other "big sides".
Group Fear: Although rated highly history shows they are capable of very bad performances when not properly motivated and these times are usually much worse than the other highly ranked sides. Plus everyone wants to beat the English.

LET'S DO THIS!!! :D

Ikuu said:
England and Portugal are going to end up in the same group.

LA LA LA LA...I can't hear you...

Wes, nice OP, but as a Spanish I have to say, last year's was not the first European Championship we won.

edit: ok, I see you corrected it :)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
another 4 years, Haiti not in :(

oh well

USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!
USA!!!

operon

Fifa has decided against introducing extra linesmen at the 2010 World Cup.

World football's governing body had been tipped to fast-track a decision on goal-line officials in the wake of the furore over Thierry Henry's handball.

Henry handled twice before setting up France's winner against the Republic of Ireland in their World Cup play-off.

But president Sepp Blatter revealed that an inquiry would be carried out into the benefits of video technology and extra officials.

Henry, meanwhile, will be investigated by Fifa's disciplinary committee.

The Fifa president said the executive committee had discussed the idea of introducing goal-line officials at the World Cup, as they have been in the Europa League this season.

He continued: "The committee was of the opinion that we are at a crossroads: where shall we go with refereeing in the future?

"The game at the highest level is so tense that it is impossible for one referee and his assistants to see everything."

But the committee concluded that they wanted a full inquiry into both options, extra officials and the use of video technology, before making any decision about the future
Source: BBCnews

Mobius 1

Brazil

FIFA World Ranking: 2nd
Odds to win: 6/1
How they qualified: Won their group of course.
Info: Five times they've won this competition and they're playing well enough at the moment to make it six soon.
Group Fear: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" will be the sound you're making if they're in your team's group.

:D

PRA FRENTE BRASIL, SALVE A SELEÇÃO!

operon

Talas said:
I bet Blatter already have some of the balls in a freezer and some in a microwave.
Aye like UEFA does to keep producing Liverpool verus Chelsea in the Champions league

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Talas said:
I bet Blatter already have some of the balls in a freezer and some in a microwave.

Blatter is a useless shite, they need to get rid of him.

Azuran

Banned
Wes said:
Honduras
125px-Flag_of_Honduras.svg.png

FIFA World Ranking: 38th
Odds to win: 920/1
How they qualified: Good question. Technically they automatically qualified by coming third in their group behind the US and Mexico, beating out Costa Rica on goal difference.
Info: Only their second ever World Cup competition, their win over Mexico in the qualification looks like the highlight of their run.
Group Fear: None whatsoever. This is an excellent draw for your team. They don't get much better than this.

Honduras are actually one of the few teams I would be caution of. When they on, they're a really good attacking side. There's few teams that could keep up with their speed. They also have a good number of players in Europe including Wilson Palacios and Maynor Figueroa (which I'm pretty sure all of you are familiar by now)

Of all the weak teams, Honduras is probably the one you DON'T want to get.

Jay Sosa said:
I'm pretty sure Germany will end up in group with New Zealand, Switzerland and Algeria.
[...]
worst one: whichever Germany will play in.

20583g7.jpg

Germany. Odds to win: 14/1
What a careless bookie..
I'm sure some non-European team will win this time though. I hope it'll be a sub-Saharan African nation.

Haunted

Azuran said:
Honduras are actually one of the few teams I would be caution of. When they on, they're a really good attacking side. There's few teams that could keep up with their speed. They also have a good number of players in Europe including Wilson Palacios and Maynor Figueroa (which I'm pretty sure all of you are familiar by now)

Of all the weak teams, Honduras is probably the one you DON'T want to get.
Full disclosure: are you, or your family, from Honduras?

Wes said:
Brazil
125px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png

FIFA World Ranking: 2nd
Odds to win: 6/1
How they qualified: Won their group of course.
Info: Five times they've won this competition and they're playing well enough at the moment to make it six soon.
Group Fear: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" will be the sound you're making if they're in your team's group.

I heard this same shit before in 2006, so yeah, I'm not expecting Brazil to win at all, shit depending on the group, we might not even make it into the next round......maybe in 2014.....maybe.

Wes

venison crêpe
I have heard it's on ESPN 2 in the US and it's on BBC2 (and probably Sky Sports News and the News Channels too) in the UK. If anyone else has details I'll add to the OP later on.

Also it will probably be streamed online at FIFA's website I would think.

Azuran

Banned
Haunted said:

My grandfather is from Honduras. They're also one of my favorite CONCACAF teams to watch. I like their style of play.

Haunted

Azuran said:
My grandfather is from Honduras. They're also one of my favorite CONCACAF teams to watch. I like their style of play.
Fair enough, carry on. Totally fine to cheer for a team you have some sort of connection to. :)

If anyone impartial would've said the same thing about Honduras, I'd call them nuts. They'll place last in their group, no matter the constellation, mark my words.

Azuran

Banned
Haunted said:
Fair enough, carry on. Totally fine to cheer for a team you have some sort of connection to. :)

If anyone impartial would've said the same thing about Honduras, I'd call them nuts. They'll place last in their group, no matter the constellation, mark my words.

Oh, they'll place last in their group, I won't deny that. I'm just saying their matches against the bigger sides are probably gonna be a lot closer than most people predict. They're not T&T. I'll say they're more comparable to the 2002 Costa Rican team (which put on respectable performance in that WC).

Also, they're better than my national team. I like to cheer for someone in the WC for once.

:)

Wes said:
I have heard it's on ESPN 2 in the US and it's on BBC2 (and probably Sky Sports News and the News Channels too) in the UK. If anyone else has details I'll add to the OP later on.

Also it will probably be streamed online at FIFA's website I would think.

Noon ET on ESPN 2.

Shito

criesofthepast said:
Portugal fan? Don't blame Greece for Portugal shitting the bed in their own country.
Football fan, I'd say: Greece has one of the most boring play ever.
I'd rather see Italy win rather than Greece. ^^

Shito said:
Football fan, I'd say: Greece has one of the most boring play ever.
I'd rather see Italy win rather than Greece. ^^
Fair enough. Greece has to play that way because they know what they are and that's not a very explosive offense team. Italy is traditionally known as a boring team to watch because of how defensive they are but in 2006 every game they played was pretty dramatic and fun to watch. I hope that style of play continues next year.

The Germany v Italy game was one of the best matches I've ever seen. Germany is awesome to watch. I'm a huge fan of them as well.

alterno69

Banned
Go Mexico woot.

Mexico has some pretty bad luck in these draws, except for Germany 06 we have been seeded in the Death Group since USA 94 and managed to make it to the second round all the time. I have a bad feeling about this tournament tho, hope i'm wrong.

Enosh

Wes said:
Slovenia
125px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png

FIFA World Ranking: 33rd
Odds to win: 280/1
How they qualified: Finished in the playoff spot in their group ahead of the Czech Republic, Poland and Northern Ireland. Beat Russia in the playoff. Cryshavin.
Info: Impressed a lot of people with their style of football during qualification.
Group Fear: You wouldn't mind at all seeing Slovenia drawn in your group rather than France or Portugal.
meh, we'll fuck up like always

so goooo Germany!

Jackson50

It is a shame that Costa Rica lost to Uruguay. I would have enjoyed watching four instead of three teams from the Concacaf. Oh well, Mexico and the US (USA! USA! USA!) should represent.

harSon said:
If you guys are interested, here are some recent pictures of the new South African stadiums in development:

Nelson Mandela Stadium - Port Elizabeth
okdiiw.jpg

2iu7tx4.jpg

:D I live in the town next to Port elizabeth so thats technically my home stadium

ATF487

Wes said:
Australia
125px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png

FIFA World Ranking: 21st
Odds to win: 120/1
How they qualified: Won their qualifying group ahead of Japan.
Info: Contain a lot of players who ply their trade in Europe. Unlucky not to have progressed further than they did in the previous World Cup.
Group Fear: They can't be underestimated. Definitely one of the teams to avoid from this pot.

United States
125px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

FIFA World Ranking: 14th
Odds to win: 100/1
How they qualified: Winners of CONCACAF.
Info: Shook the footballing world by beating the seemingly unstoppable Spanish in last year's Confederation Cup. They will enjoy returning to South Africa.
Group Fear: Without doubt the worst team to be drawn against from pot 4. Avoid at all costs.

My two countries of citizenship, hopefully one of them demolishes Italy

harSon

Banned
Rayven_king said:
:D I live in the town next to Port elizabeth so thats technically my home stadium

Where? The only place I've been to near Port Elizabeth (It might just be a part of the city itself?) is Summerstrand.

painey

I remember the World Cup draw of 1998, I was in the music block at school for some after school awards bollocks or something, and everyone was going crazy because we were getting such an easy group. Time flies.

operon said:

Now this is just stupid! I can already see the terrible calls...

harSon said:
If you guys are interested, here are some recent pictures of the new South African stadiums in development:

Soccer City - Johannesburg
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46641663&postcount=237
4071519707_1fd875ef52.jpg

4071527553_04536f5744_o.jpg

Nelson Mandela Stadium - Port Elizabeth
okdiiw.jpg

2iu7tx4.jpg

Cape Town Stadium - Cape Town
3310q2w.jpg

25qrmeg.jpg

Moses Mabhida Stadium - Durban
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46331969&postcount=628
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=45888753&postcount=544
10r3k49.jpg

4017952475_62280d3d0c_o.jpg

WOW...some of those stadiums look amazing! My uncle works for FIFA and he goes to every world cup if he has the chance...I'm hoping to go to the following one....

Dragnet

painey said:
I remember the World Cup draw of 1998, I was in the music block at school for some after school awards bollocks or something, and everyone was going crazy because we were getting such an easy group. Time flies.

World Cup memories are awesome...I remember being in a bar in France in 98 when Beckham got sent off, and a bunch of guys a few tables away literally flipped their table over in an incredible rage, sending pizzas and beer everywhere :lol

I also remember watching the first half of the England v Brazil game at home before school, then absolutely pelting it to school during half time to watch the second half in the sixth form..half the school did it, the rush through the gates was incredible! Good times :D

Someone should make a world cup memories thread..

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
jpderrida said:
Chile's coach is superb. I think Chile will make a great appearance at the World Cup.

:D

Chile vs Colombia was a great match...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdiCUscSQrE

About France 98, I remember seeing it on junior school... Italy vs Chile on the first round was some serious play... Can't believe that Chile got robbed by that damn ref.

France vs Brazil was amazing as well.

avaya

Supporting

Brazil, Spain, The Dutchies (Jack Van Gelder style), Deutschland, USA, South Korea and Japan. and FRANCE. FUCK THE HATERS. FUCK THE HATERS.

Honorable mentions to Australia and the Kiwi's who will likely be rinsed.

Fuck everyone else. It will be a good World Cup as long as Argentina, Italy, Portugal or any other South American team apart from Brazil doesn't win.

-Amon-

Spain has to win this. They have as today the best players in the world. Incredible team really. It's an opportunity they must not miss. It will take another 20 years before they'll have another team strong as this.

They will be strong in the next world cup too, but their peak is now.

England looks like a good team, and Capello has done wonders to them.

Brazil is a team that is always a danger for anyone in world cup.

I'm thinking that these are the candidates. Spain is the strongest but Brazil is more at ease in the world cup.

Italy is waiting for a new generation of great players, Lippi looks as he's not taking any risks with young players so it will be real hard for us to do well. I'm quite sure we'll not be in the semi finals.

Argentina has great players around the world and could do really well but Maradona is not going to call the best ones, so they're not going far.

France time has passed, even without that idiot as a trainer they simply do not have anymore enough talent to do well.

Speaking of underdogs, watch out for Ivory Coast.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Haunted said:

No, Honduras is a legitimately decent side. If they get a weak group, they could advance.

ATF487 said:
My two countries of citizenship, hopefully one of them demolishes Italy

I'd put the over/under on 2 red cards if either of those matchups happens.

I would have loved to see AUS/US. (No, I'm not Australian at all, but the two sides seem real similar to me, and I think that could make an interesting game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom