• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Amon-

Anth0ny said:
So here's the plan... USA takes out Spain and Brazil and Italy takes it from there.

Quite anything can happen in direct elimination matches but no.... not this lol

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
avaya said:
Supporting

Brazil, Spain, The Dutchies (Jack Van Gelder style), Deutschland, USA, South Korea and Japan. and FRANCE. FUCK THE HATERS. FUCK THE HATERS.

Honorable mentions to Australia and the Kiwi's who will likely be rinsed.

Fuck everyone else. It will be a good World Cup as long as Argentina, Italy, Portugal or any other South American team apart from Brazil doesn't win.

lol my money is on Japan maintaining the majority of possession in all their games but not scoring one goal.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
How did North Korea made it into the World Cup and Canada didn't ? Our football sucks !!!

I am so god damn excited for this draw. I hope the USA's draw isn't bad, once we get our feet under us, we can make a hell of a run. read: Confederations Cup

Go New Zealand!

I was at the game in NZ against Bahrain (the winner qualified for the World Cup!), what a wonderful night. Rugby is my top sport but that was soooo amazing, I was with my Dad who has been a soccer guy (player, fan, involved with the sport) his whole life and he was so proud. :D

legend166

Australia is the dark horse.

Dream run would be to knock out Italy and England. Italy for sweet justice, England because Australia beating England is the natural order of things that needs to happen for the universe to be in balance.

Strawman

I saw an incredibly disturbing documentary on Johannesburg and basically the city is hell on earth, kidnappings and car jackings are rife with whole areas abandoned by the police force and run by gangs. Ive got a horrible feeling this world cup is going to be a disaster unless the holidaying fans are carefully segregated and policed.

operon

legend166 said:

Dream run would be to knock out Italy and England. Italy for sweet justice, England because Australia beating England is the natural order of things that needs to happen for the universe to be in balance.

Plus revenge for the ashes, eh eh

The England - Australian rivalry is fucking hilarious. I love it. It's been amplified by a group of Aussies who have just transferred from Sydney on an exchange program at uni. They are the most jovial bunch of shit-slingers that I've ever known :lol

England will be OK in the group stages, we need to avoid Portugal and France though. We'll bottle it in the semis or even the final if we're lucky.

Spain won't win, they'll suffer a similar fate to England, being brought down in the semis or the final.

Brazil or Germany will win the tournament.

Raydeen

Ikuu said:
England and Portugal are going to end up in the same group.

Can we expect another battered and defeated England to score against all odds to send them spirialing out only for it to be laughably disallowed because the Portugese goalie lacks the ability to jump in the air?

Gary Whitta said:
lol @ the idea of Australia doing anything in this tournament other than going down in flames.

It depends on what kind of group they are drawn in. They had a good run in 2002, its not inconceivable that they could punch above their weight again.

Magni

I'm hoping NK and NZ go far, just for laughs. I'd love to see SK vs NK :lol
Most people here in France are rooting for France obviously, but even more want to see Domenech fired :lol He's the most hated man in France by far, since 2005-06 :lol

feel

Go Portugal!!!!!

Meh, who am I kidding, Queiroz sucks, we are playing awful football at the moment and we will be humiliated at the world cup. I was all set to watch this world cup without the stress my team would provide, and then those fuckers manage to scrape by and get a last minute spot. Sigh...

Hoping that Spain, France, Brazil and Italy choke, and an African nation goes on to win it, that would be amazing.

Raydeen said:
Can we expect another battered and defeated England to score against all odds to send them spirialing out only for it to be laughably disallowed because the Portugese goalie lacks the ability to jump in the air?
I know it must have hurt for you guys at that moment, but are you being serious? That was a perfect call by the ref.. the gk was held down.

NetMapel said:
How did North Korea made it into the World Cup and Canada didn't ? Our football sucks !!!

CONCACAF is a stronger confederation than Asia.

Canada didnt even make it to the final stage of qualifying.

Why For?

Banned
Blablurn said:
:lol

Anyway, I totally support this thread!

And I hope history repeats...

t9bivc.jpg

Right fucken on.

Go Greece!!!!

not that they have a chance in hell

legend166 said:

I would weep manly, patriotic tears of joy should either of these things happen. It'd be as good as winning the cup.

Gary Whitta said:
lol @ the idea of Australia doing anything in this tournament other than going down in flames.
Had the match with Italy in '06 gone even slightly differently (i.e. had a certain last-minute questionable call not been made) and Australia held on a few more minutes, we might have won on penalty shoot-outs. That whole game was tense.

Why For?

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I would weep manly, patriotic tears of joy should either of these things happen. It'd be as good as winning the cup.

Had the match with Italy in '06 gone even slightly differently (i.e. had a certain last-minute questionable call not been made) and Australia held on a few more minutes, we might have won on penalty shoot-outs. That whole game was tense.

Being from Melbourne, the group I want to see for maximum Simpsons style riot effect would be:

- Italy
- Greece
- Nigeria
- Australia

Holy fuck Lonsdale, Lygon and Fed square would be TORN TO SHIT!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Anth0ny

Why For? said:
Being from Melbourne, the group I want to see for maximum Simpsons style riot effect would be:

"Half back passes to center, back to the wing, back to the center. Center holds it... holds it... holds it..."

"HALF BACK PASSES TO CENTER, BACK TO WING, BACK TO CENTER! CENTER HOLDS IT! HOLDS IT! HOLDS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Letters said:
Hoping that Spain, France, Brazil and Italy choke, and an African nation goes on to win it, that would be amazing.

If an African nation wins the World Cup I'll run through my suburban streets buck naked holding that nations flag. I promise you that.

Realistically though, I'll be happy if at least two African nations make the quarter finals. I'll be ecstatic if one of them makes the semis.

The best African World Cup runs I can think of was Cameroon in '90 when they made the quarterfinals narrowly losing to England in overtime and Nigeria in '98 I believe.

Sad that Canada cant even put a better team together than freaking Hondurus.

Anyways Ill be goin for mostly Holland and a little bit Chile. Should be good.

hadareud said:
I am looking forward to this tournament.

International soccer is the best.

Worldcup is the best....... only sporting event i want to see every single game, even though i can't....

PS:lulz @ Ireland wanting to be the 33rd team in the cup hahahahahahahaha lol lol.

jpderrida

Banned
bernardobri said:
:D

Chile vs Colombia was a great match...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdiCUscSQrE

About France 98, I remember seeing it on junior school... Italy vs Chile on the first round was some serious play... Can't believe that Chile got robbed by that damn ref.

France vs Brazil was amazing as well.
hah hI remember that match as well... that damn referee stole the match from Chile... it was 2-1 final result

hope they do better this time!

Sucks that Charlie Davies won't be able to play. We really, really needed him up top. He did wonders during the Confed. Cup.

:(

My expectations are a little lower now for Sam's Army.

Tunin

Brazil won't win this time (I'm brazilian), that's for sure.
And once again the country stops for like, 1 month.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's interesting to note the amount of Australians posting in this thread who seemingly want their team to come up against certain top seeded teams, whether they be group stages or through the next rounds following.

Also any team that beats France throughout this World Cup is going to receive unanimous praise for months.

Blablurn

am i the only one who is also going to support the japanese national team? SAMURAI BLUE 4 Life, Biatch!

I hope they won't flop as hard as they did 3 years ago. still remember the game against australia. bloody awful. i may buy their shirt as well. it looks awesome.

legend166

Blablurn said:
am i the only one who is also going to support the japanese national team? SAMURAI BLUE 4 Life, Biatch!

I hope they won't flop as hard as they did 3 years ago. still remember the game against australia. bloody awful. i may buy their shirt as well. it looks awesome.

That game was awesome.

<3 Tim Cahill.

Also, Gary Whitta, you are going downnnnnnnnn.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
speedpop said:
It's interesting to note the amount of Australians posting in this thread who seemingly want their team to come up against certain top seeded teams, whether they be group stages or through the next rounds following.

Also any team that beats France throughout this World Cup is going to receive unanimous praise for months.

well i figure when Australia goes down we should go down in a glorious blaze of hail Mary punches :lol.

BowieZ

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
The fact Australia is a threat proves this post is either ignorant or a blatant attempt to rile us Aussies up.

Fail.

Atlagev

jamesinclair said:
CONCACAF is a stronger confederation than Asia.

Canada didnt even make it to the final stage of qualifying.

Canada got kind of screwed with their own "Group of Death" in the qualifying stages, though (top 2 went through):

Mexico
Honduras
Canada
Jamaica

2 World Cup qualifiers in that group.

Compare that to the other 2 groups:

USA
Trinidad & Tobago
Guatemala
Cuba

Costa Rica
El Salvador
Haiti
Suriname

Canada didn't do themselves any favors by not winning a game in their group, but switch El Salvador and Canada's places, and I think Canada would have easily made the Hexagonal.

Atlagev

i_am_ben said:
well i figure when Australia goes down we should go down in a glorious blaze of hail Mary punches :lol.

I'm American, and I feel the same way. I mean, when you go to the World Cup, you want to play the best teams, not Slovenia and Uruguay.

My hope for the U.S.'s group:

England
France
Ivory Coast
USA

BRING IT.

Bleepey

Why For? said:

- Italy
- Greece
- Nigeria
- Australia

Holy fuck Lonsdale, Lygon and Fed square would be TORN TO SHIT!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

There are a lot of Nigerians in Melbourne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom