• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
For the US I'd want

Spain or Brazil
US
Switzerland
Algeria

seems funny to want Brazil, but I figure they won't lose to anyone, so the US would just have to worry about the Swiss. Spain because the US frustrates them and they might get lucky like vs Portugal in 2k2.

cmmart

as a yank, i want to play the best teams out there. i know we will get our ass kicked, but i want to compete against awesome teams. Hence, I want a group of death for the USA. My hopes.

Brazil
Portugal
Ivory Coast
USA

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
DM_Uselink said:
I hope Mexico gets a tough group. I think we play better against the top teams....or do we???

Aguirre needs to pay attention to Maza Rodriguez, I hear hes having a good season with PSV.

We play better when we don't get overconfident, so it kind of rings true.

Wes

venison crêpe
Puck said:
4am Sydney, please be a good draw or else i won't be able to go back to sleep

I hope I got my timings riht. Best check tv schedule local to you too!

Kozak

Banned
Salazar said:
Street press is not the media.

Oh c'mon as if the whole of Australia doesn't have that attitude towards the "poms" :lol

-Losing the Ashes was a shock. England couldn't have possibly won it by being better.

Socreges

Banned
i hope canada gets drawed in, and with some easy teams

...thats how world cup qualification works, right? or are we expected to actually win some games?

here's hoping for a great group of death. with england in it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Socreges said:
i hope canada gets drawed in, and with some easy teams

...thats how world cup qualification works, right? or are we expected to actually win some games?

here's hoping for a great group of death. with england in it.

Why don't you come have a talk with me....

(Canada isn't in the world cup :()

smurfx

get some go again
man i hope mexico doesn't have the u.s in the same group. in fact i hope they are completely opposite of each other so they never get a chance to play each other. neither will win the cup but at least they shouldn't eliminate each other.

bjaelke

smurfx said:
man i hope mexico doesn't have the u.s in the same group. in fact i hope they are completely opposite of each other so they never get a chance to play each other. neither will win the cup but at least they shouldn't eliminate each other.
They are in the same pot and therefore can't be in the same group...

neorej

ERMYGERD!
smurfx said:

You don't watch much football, do you?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
bjaelke said:
They are in the same pot and therefore can't be in the same group...

They can meet in the 2nd round though, like in 2002.

I don't think any CONCACAF team will make 2nd round right now. Especially not with being in the same pot as the Asians and Kiwis.

smurfx

get some go again
neorej said:
You don't watch much football, do you?
i don't want them to face each other after they advance like what happened in the last world cup. I don't know much about football.

Calidor

Man my first wc memories goes back to Italy 90, I feel old...

btw don't rule us just yet, we did a shitty qualification stage but we still have the best players n the world..

messi-permanente.jpg

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
smurfx said:
i don't want them to face each other after they advance like what happened in the last world cup. I don't know much about football.

The thing about Mexico is I miss Jorge Campos. We need more goalkeepers like him around.

Him, Jorge Paez, and El Zorro are three most entertaining sports Mexicans I've ever run across.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Calidor said:
Man my first wc memories goes back to Italy 90, I feel old...

btw don't rule us just yet, we did a shitty qualification stage but we still have the best players n the world..

messi-permanente.jpg

I remember Argentina having the best players in the world back in 98.

never forget

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Messi is going to explode on the world cup.
He is going to blow our minds with some crazy Pro Evolution skills!
AR GEN TINA!
AR GEN TINA!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Fersis said:
Messi is going to explode on the world cup.
He is going to blow our minds with some crazy Pro Evolution skills!
AR GEN TINA!
AR GEN TINA!

too bad you'll probably end up playing Holland somewhere along the road. :lol

Calidor

neorej said:
too bad you'll probably end up playing Holland somewhere along the road. :lol

last WC we did ok with holland in our group... looking back, that group was *really* the group of death:

Argentina
Holland
Ivory Coast
Serbia

operon

arstal said:
The thing about Mexico is I miss Jorge Campos. We need more goalkeepers like him around.

Him, Jorge Paez, and El Zorro are three most entertaining sports Mexicans I've ever run across.
The best thing about campos was his jersey.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
best case
England
North Korea
Algeria
Slovakia

worst case
England
USA
Ivory Coast
France/Portugal

(I think that's right, I may have mixed some of the pots/teams up)

I really really don't want Ivory Coast in the same group as England. I think Ivory Coast have a pretty good shot at winning the whole thing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Wes said:
I hope I got my timings riht. Best check tv schedule local to you too!
Timing is right for the two east Pacific regions. I don't enjoy the prospect of staying up this late but it has gotta happen.

I feel like a little kid on christmas morning. I am seriously considering taking a week off of work after the group stage is done this summer. I just want to hang at pubs and watch the matches.

ATF487

soccernet said:
In a rehearsal for Friday night's draw, England were drawn with Australia, Slovakia and Cameroon which, if repeated, will do nicely for Capello. Portugal, England's nemesis, are potential first-round opponents but Capello will doubtless take it all in his stride.

Wish this actually would happen, England and Australia would get through with relative ease

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
ATF487 said:
Wish this actually would happen, England and Australia would get through with relative ease

The world doesn't have enough alcohol to supply both nations. It would be a disaster!

speedpop

Can you imagine if it were to happen? England and Australia would stop overnight. I don't care if we don't advance past the group stage, I'd just love to see us play against a rival.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to see that. I really hope we get Australia now.

And who knows, maybe in-between all the drinking a football match will break out.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I best the "Group of Death" will be:

Nigeria
France
Mexico
South Korea

USA will probably be in a tough group as usual. Probably joining Holland, Ivory and Argentina.

speedpop

~Devil Trigger~ said:
I best the "Group of Death" will be:

Nigeria
France
Mexico
South Korea

USA will probably be in a tough group as usual. Probably joining Holland, Ivory and Argentina.
Except both of these examples cannot happen. There is no seeded team in the first selection, and there are two seeded teams in the second one.

Brinbe

As a Filipino-Canadian, I have absolutely no stake in this (one country underachieves severely, and the other is so weak that they don't even bother qualifying for the WC), but I'm hoping for good groups and plenty of drama, the more the better!

adama-rama

Neo Member
As an Aussie I don't have much faith in our footy atm. Too one dimensional and lacking any attacking force apart from Timmy Cahill, a midfielder. Unless Scott McDonald starts banging them in for the NT, we have nothing up front.

Hope we get an easier group, like Algeria, Slovakia and England. We can take England ;)

Facism

adama-rama said:
As an Aussie I don't have much faith in our footy atm. Too one dimensional and lacking any attacking force apart from Timmy Cahill, a midfielder. Unless Scott McDonald starts banging them in for the NT, we have nothing up front.

Hope we get an easier group, like Algeria, Slovakia and England. We can take England ;)

You need teh Harry Kewell

Noshino

Goddamnit, anyone knows who will be streaming it?

Fifa has a counter, but Im not sure whether they ll be streaming it or not ;C

speedpop

Noshino said:
Goddamnit, anyone knows who will be streaming it?

Fifa has a counter, but Im not sure whether they ll be streaming it or not ;C
No idea sorry mate. Being streamed live on TV in my country so I haven't bothered to look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom