• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Health Organization (WHO) ‏says transgender is no longer considered a mental disorder

prag16

Banned
Is there a cure for being Trans? Is it even something to be cured from?

Either way it's a disorder, even if you want to classify the problem as physical, not mental.

The thing is we are understanding more of what it means to be human. And within that what it means to be a boy or a girl. Is it "only" what genitals you have? Is it the amount of testosterone your body produces? Is it something even more internal that we can't see from the outside?

What we shouldn't do is compare humans to animals. That's not a fair thing to do at all.

Even leaving aside comparing this to animals, or apache helicopters, or whatever, you still have valid comparisons with other mental vs. physical/reality incongruities like anorexia, and various types of depression and anxiety, plus things like OCD and ADD. Sure, none of those are direct 1:1 perfect for comparison, but nothing typically is, for anything.

Last edited:

Shouta

Not to play devils advocate, shouldn't it still be considered some sort of mental illness? We have a mismatch between biology and the persons self image? Something went wrong during development to give someone who is of one gender the body of another? Though i understand the reasonings to stop stigma, this group is marginalised/opressed as is...

Nah, it shouldn't. An important aspect when looking at what constitutes a mental illness/disorder is the direct effect it has on the individual and their behavior when afflicted with it. The impact is negative and often can be destructive in nature.

Gender Incongruence doesn't have a negative effect on the individual in and of itself in a good number of cases. The anguish folks can receive from it comes from aspects surrounding it like socially, for example. If there is an issue, there might be something else in effect.

Now consider eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia. Those directly have a negative on someone. It's not just a mismatch in body
image, it causes negative behavior that can be harmful to the health of someone. Anorexics can starve themselves to near death while bulimics will binge and purge over and over despite the potential harm it poses to their health.

Even the recent gaming disorder that's been making the rounds follows this. It's when an obsession with it and the negative behavior like ignoring usual social cues or one's own health comes together that they consider it a disorder.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is treatment you have to undergo. If there is a cure? Depends I guess If you see finally getting the body you should have had through surgery etc and if you then feel as a man or women than this could be called a cure However there are also many illnesses that you do not cure but rather make possible to live with. Diabetes is one illness for example you have to deal with the rest of your life but it also needs treatment.

And again not calling it an illness would cause that healthcare systems like in Germany would not pay for it anymore.

Okay so you're using a different definition of "treatment" and "illness". I gotcha. Seeking help to help the individual through it is a must, as it must be confusing at first. The good thing is mental therapy is becoming less stigmatized nowadays.

Nah, it shouldn't. An important aspect when looking at what constitutes a mental illness/disorder is the direct effect it has on the individual and their behavior when afflicted with it. The impact is negative and often can be destructive in nature.

Gender Incongruence doesn't have a negative effect on the individual in and of itself in a good number of cases. The anguish folks can receive from it comes from aspects surrounding it like socially, for example. If there is an issue, there might be something else in effect.

Now consider eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia. Those directly have a negative on someone. It's not just a mismatch in body
image, it causes negative behavior that can be harmful to the health of someone. Anorexics can starve themselves to near death while bulimics will binge and purge over and over despite the potential harm it poses to their health.

Even the recent gaming disorder that's been making the rounds follows this. It's when an obsession with it and the negative behavior like ignoring usual social cues or one's own health comes together that they consider it a disorder.

Great explanation!

Last edited:

Dunki

The thing is we are understanding more of what it means to be human. And within that what it means to be a boy or a girl. Is it "only" what genitals you have? Is it the amount of testosterone your body produces? Is it something even more internal that we can't see from the outside?

What we shouldn't do is compare humans to animals. That's not a fair thing to do at all.

If you open this box. then please tell me what it means to be black? Is it just the color of your skin? Is it how complex your skin is compared to other people What about Rachel Dolezal? Cann she not be black because of her skin even she feels she is black? You really want to go this route?

We have defintions for a reason. And we know that this is not the norm and therefore a genetical defect mostly also you fucking suffer from this condition. not only because of what people think bt also wha yu think the unkown what you are your own identity cirsis trying to fit into our society etc. That is why there is a treatment and for a treatment to exist there needs to be an illness. Again this is not in any way a negative thing. But it helps for your treatment, it helps for research and it also helps on a financial level in many countries. So why is it bad to call it a mental Illness?

Dunki

This is called a mental disorder and not an illness. And Illness is that happens in your body in your DNA etc. A disorder is something establishing due to psychological influences like stress, pressure from others etc. A bit earlier I posted a definition of these words and how they are being used in a medical way.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you open this box. then please tell me what it means to be black? Is it just the color of your skin? Is it how complex your skin is compared to other people What about Rachel Dolezal? Cann she not be black because of her skin even she feels she is black? You really want to go this route?

We have defintions for a reason. And we know that this is not the norm and therefore a genetical defect mostly also you fucking suffer from this condition. not only because of what people think bt also wha yu think the unkown what you are your own identity cirsis trying to fit into our society etc. That is why there is a treatment and for a treatment to exist there needs to be an illness. Again this is not in any way a negative thing. But it helps for your treatment, it helps for research and it also helps on a financial level in many countries. So why is it bad to call it a mental Illness?

Well, to be honest, the answer to your question is complication too about race lol. Race is a social construct so there is a number of ways for a person to be black. And scientifically we know that gender identity is put into people within a range and not a on/off switch. It's not straight up binary.

Dunki

Well, to be honest, the answer to your question is complication too about race lol. Race is a social construct so there is a number of ways for a person to be black. And scientifically we know that gender identity is put into people within a range and not a on/off switch. It's not straight up binary.
Race to me is a definition to define the differences. For example there is medicaments for black people and not because the other one is too expensive or some other .. But because using the one white people use will cause severe problem in their systems that can even lead to death. With genders it’s pretty complicated but I also believe that people use a lot of these definitions to separate themselves from the norm and they want to be special. I have seen lists with more than 70 differentt genders already and it’s pretty insane thinking.

mantidor

This is not true? An intolerant society will make the condition much worse but you can't just leave a trans kid reach puberty without doing some form of treatment, no matter how accepting the family or society are about their gender incongruence.

Future

This is not true? An intolerant society will make the condition much worse but you can't just leave a trans kid reach puberty without doing some form of treatment, no matter how accepting the family or society are about their gender incongruence.

You absolutely can. It’s up to them whether they want to transition or not.

It’s still a “condition” that could need treatment, but it isn’t a “disorder” that needs to be irradicated.

Sometimes I wonder why people even bother debating about this stuff. Admittedly, some of this is probably done for the patient itself and how he or she copes with the condition. Is this a bad thing? What point is it to rummage through Webster dictionary definitions and try to prove that it’s and illness or disorder or whatever. If classifying this way the WTO wants to helps the patient, then classify it this way! Why is this a problem it isn’t left or right, it isn’t trump or Clinton, it doesn’t affect how any other condition is diagnosed it isn’t anything controversial at all.

Dunki

It’s still a “condition” that could need treatment, but it isn’t a “disorder” that needs to be irradicated.

Sometimes I wonder why people even bother debating about this stuff. Admittedly, some of this is probably done for the patient itself and how he or she copes with the condition. Is this a bad thing? What point is it to rummage through Webster dictionary definitions and try to prove that it’s and illness or disorder or whatever. If classifying this way the WTO wants to helps the patient, then classify it this way! Why is this a problem it isn’t left or right, it isn’t trump or Clinton, it doesn’t affect how any other condition is diagnosed it isn’t anything controversial at all.
Because their reasoning is idiotic. To be more inklusive?

Does this helps anyone?

"Hey you are trans and I know you are suffering enormously but hey at least its not a mental illness anymore right?"

Why have the days gone in which facts counted more than feelings? Especially in this fields you need to be honest, and truthful it does not help anyone otherwise. I will say it again since it seems to be completly ignored. In our healthsystem if it does not count as Illness thany ou will have almost no chance to get financial help which often covers up to 80% sometimes even 100% of the costs.

And of course you can. You can also live with Diabetis wihout treatment. My grandmother lived 5 years with cancer without treatment because she did not wanted to. And she suffered terrible but we could not do anything because it was her will. Just because you can does not mean it is healthy or not even life-threatening

You want to be more inclusive without losing any truth too it? Get and try to get rid of the stigmatization of this word. Just saying it does not exist does not make it go away.

Moneal

We don't try to eradicate most mental disorders, we try to alleviate the symptoms. Most are incurable currently. My son is Autistic. He has a disorder. His behavior, nor mine to him, would change if autism was no longer labeled a disorder. It is better to work on removing the stigma around mental disorders than to just not call them disorders.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
If classifying this way the WTO wants to helps the patient, then classify it this way!

Without the ICD’s ability to provide standardized, consistent data, each country or region would have its own classifications that would most likely only be relevant where it is used. Standardization is the key that unlocks global health data analysis.
The WHO has a responsibility, or duty to classify diseases based on facts and research, so they can be used across the globe by medical workers.
It's possible they've failed to do so in this instance, for the sake of reducing stigma. I think that's opening a can of worms that could undo everything they're trying to achieve.

Shiki_

Banned
Being transgender is not a illness, because there's not way to cure a person to don't be transgender, should have gender dysphoria or not. And not everyone person who is transgender have gender dysphoria, but those who have it should being supported and have access to medical. Good job for the WHO in this.

Shouta

This is called a mental disorder and not an illness. And Illness is that happens in your body in your DNA etc. A disorder is something establishing due to psychological influences like stress, pressure from others etc. A bit earlier I posted a definition of these words and how they are being used in a medical way.

The site you posted points out they're used interchangeably typically. WHO does it too as you can see on this page. So, eh?

Sure, but all I'm saying is that gender incongruency isn't what you treat, it's other aspects that may or may not arise from it. I think you might have gender dysphoria in mind? That's the diagnosis for someone with distress about this. It's not something every transgender person has as Shiki_ Shiki_ points out and it can also differ from person to person.

Dunki

Being transgender is not a illness, because there's not way to cure a person to don't be transgender, should have gender dysphoria or not. And not everyone person who is transgender have gender dysphoria, but those who have it should being supported and have access to medical. Good job for the WHO in this.
Diabetis is no illness since there is no way to cure a person to not have diabetis.

Again it is a genetic deffect and therefore it is an mental illness. Do not get rid of facts but rid of the stigmatization of this word.

I find it curious they did this on the same week that they classified gaming for more than 20 hours a week as a mental illness. It's like telling chess players, miniatures wargamers, train set hobbyists or race car enthusiasts they have a mental illness for spending an arbitrarily derived amount of time on their favourite hobby. If it doesn't negatively affect your life it's not a mental illness. They try to stress that in their new classification but the naming of the illness is unfortunately broad and misleading. Ample fodder for the usual ideologically inclined suspects. Won't somebody please think of the children etc.

Last edited:

Dunki

I find it curious they did this on the same week that they classified gaming for more than 20 hours a week as a mental illness.
they did? Now i have the feeling that they do not even know wat this word means. Thy seem to have the same incompetence than the current European Union.
Guess I am now mentally ill. Wo cares

Last edited:

Shiki_

Banned
Diabetis is no illness since there is no way to cure a person to not have diabetis.

Diabetes have not cure, you can just alleviate the suffering of the person who have it. Again, being trasgender is NOT an disorder. A person who has gender dysphoria (which sadly not have a 100% cure with actual technology) is transgender, but not every transgender person have gender dysphoria.

Dunki

Diabetes have not cure, you can just alleviate the suffering of the person who have it. Again, being trasgender is NOT an disorder. A person who has gender dysphoria (which sadly not have a 100% cure with actual technology) is transgender, but not every transgender person have gender dysphoria.
It is a defect. How is this not clear. ? And no it is not a disorder but a mental illness. A disorder results from something that did happen in your life. An mental illness was there from the beginning. That is the definition we gave these words. And if you want to be more inclusive than get rid of the stigmatization. To ignore facts because of feelings is fucking stupid.

Nothing will change by ignorance. They will be treated like they were before because no normal person cares what they say. This organization is important for medical dialogues and research. Again if it is not stated as a mental illness anymore than good luck getting financial support from our German healthcare system.

But hey now the person can feel better while suffering more since they can not afford the surgery etc they want to have. Good Job 👍

Last edited:

Shiki_

Banned
It is a defect. How is this not clear. ? And no it is not a disorder but a mental illness. A disorder results from something that did happen in your life. An mental illness was there from the beginning. That is the definition we gave these words. And if you want to be more inclusive than get rid of the stigmatization. To ignore facts because of feelings is fucking stupid.

Nothing will change by ignorance. They will be treated like they were before because no normal person cares what they say. This organization is important for medical dialogues and research. Again if it is not stated as a mental illness anymore than good luck getting financial support from our German healthcare system.

But hey now the person can feel better while suffering more since they can not afford the surgery etc they want to have. Good Job 👍

Why keep ignoring about gender dysphoria?

prag16

Banned

It doesn't? And what is "a good number of cases"? The constant feeling of 'being in the wrong body' and so on and so forth is not a negative consequence? Sure those external factors can certainly exacerbate things. And you still are seemingly advocating for treatment (just physical, not mental). So I'm not sure how any of this is really convincing in any way.

Shiki_

Banned
It doesn't? And what is "a good number of cases"? The constant feeling of 'being in the wrong body' and so on and so forth is not a negative consequence? Sure those external factors can certainly exacerbate things. And you still are seemingly advocating for treatment (just physical, not mental). So I'm not sure how any of this is really convincing in any way.

What are you looking for is gender dysphoria, for god sake.

I know I'm in the wrong body, but I don't dislike my man body and actually I quite like it, but since child I have known I wanted be a woman. I would love have a female body, but I don't want neither need (because lack of gender dysphoria in my personal case) medical treatment to change my body.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned

I know I'm in the wrong body, but I don't dislike my man body and actually I quite like it, but since child I have known I wanted be a woman. I would love have a female body, but I don't want neither need (because lack of gender dysphoria in my personal case) medical treatment to change my body.
That's great, for you. And I don't mean that sarcastically in the least. That IS great. But the poster I was responding to seems to be dismissing all cases in which it IS an issue. The claim seems to be that because people like you exist, it should not be classified as a disorder of any kind in any situation. Which doesn't seem like a reasonable position.

Dunki

This is still not the topic....

Furthermore...

The level of distress experienced by someone with gender dysphoria is significant, and people do much better if they are in supportive environments and are given knowledge that biomedical treatments exist to reduce the sense of incongruence they feel between who other people tell them they are, and who they feel they are.

Treatment
Individual and family counseling is recommended for children, and individual or couples therapy is recommended for adults. Sex reassignment through surgery and hormonal therapy is an option, but identity problems may continue after this treatment and should be discussed in psychotherapy.

Many adults with gender dysphoria find comfortable, effective ways of living that do not involve all the components of three-phase treatment—psychological, surgical and hormonal. While some individuals manage to do this on their own, psychotherapy can be very helpful in bringing about personal discovery and maturation that facilitate self-comfort. The best outcomes are associated with early diagnosis, a supportive environment, and comprehensive treatment that respects the wishes and desires of the individual.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/gender-dysphoria

Shouta

As Shiki_ Shiki_ points out, what you're thinking of is gender dysphoria. It's thought of as something that is an inseparable element of gender incongruency but that isn't the case. It doesn't affect every single person that's gender incongruent. If someone does have it, the levels of discomfort can vary wildly between people.

Gender incongruency shouldn't be listed as a mental disorder. It's a description of the state a person is. There's nothing about it that has a direct influence on the thinking or behavior of someone unlike actual disorders. Someone can be gender incongruent and still function perfectly in human society and has the capacity to make rational decisions in their own best interest. Some may not but that's not just because their body does not match their gender. It'll be something else like gender dysphoria or the like that can be an issue. Folks will still be able to get treatment for it since it was moved to sexual health conditions. That's how incongruency should be treated. If there's a mental issue, then they can be diagnosed and given the proper treatment for that problem.

Greedings

Being transgender is not a illness, because there's not way to cure a person to don't be transgender, should have gender dysphoria or not.

What a strange definition of illness. So when there was no cure for Tuberculosis, it wasn't an illness? AIDS isn't an illness because there's no cure?
Whether we have the ability to cure something or not has no bearing on whether something is an illness or not.

Whitecrow

Banned
There's no cure, in this context = nothing you can be cured of.

Well, trasgender is something you are, not something you 'have'. But dysphoria sure is a disorder. For me there's not even a sight of doubt.

prag16

Banned
Man, some of you splitting hairs, BIG time. As others have said, the original problem was never that it was classified as a disorder, but more the stigma associated with it. I don't think "officially" removing the "disorder" moniker will remove the societal stigma, at all. But who knows.

Shiki_

Banned
Man, some of you splitting hairs, BIG time. As others have said, the original problem was never that it was classified as a disorder, but more the stigma associated with it. I don't think "officially" removing the "disorder" moniker will remove the societal stigma, at all. But who knows.

Like how the stigma against homosexuality was reduced after was stop being classified as mental illness? Yeah, I think it will help, a lot.

Dunki

Like how the stigma against homosexuality was reduced after was stop being classified as mental illness? Yeah, I think it will help, a lot.
WE had this already. Being homosexual is not mental illness because you do not need medication. what the WHO talks about is transgender which you need some sort of treatment be it therapy, medication surgery etc. And yes some people do not need it most however do. You also can live with cancer without treatment does it not make it better....

Even professional expert highly advise at least a therapy

Last edited:

Shiki_

Banned
WE had this already. Being homosexual is not mental illness because you do not need medication. what the WHO talks about is transgender which you need some sort of treatment be it therapy, medication surgery etc. And yes some people do not need it most however do. You also can live with cancer without treatment does it not make it better....

Even professional expert highly advise at least a therapy

Homosexual people would need still counseling and therapy to clear their feelings and insecurities, if they feel they need professional help. Like any person.

Dunki

Homosexual people would need still counseling and therapy to clear their feelings and insecurities, if they feel they need professional help. Like any person.
Everyone needs it in this if you go this route but this is also because of conflicts with your environment and it is not highly advised to do so. here it is your inner conflict and highly advised to.

Future

We don't try to eradicate most mental disorders, we try to alleviate the symptoms. Most are incurable currently. My son is Autistic. He has a disorder. His behavior, nor mine to him, would change if autism was no longer labeled a disorder. It is better to work on removing the stigma around mental disorders than to just not call them disorders.

Unless you have steps on how to remove the stigma around disorders, I’m not seeing how that approach is any stronger than the WTOs in this case. I also see zero negatives to this approach, and certainly nothing that affects anyone whining about it in this thread

Da-Kid

If you're born a man and want to mutilated yourself to be a woman. You have a problem. It's no different from people who think they were supposed to be born a cat. And tell me that person isn't mentally ill.

In all honestly, I think any sexuality that isn't natural is an illness. This goes with being gay. There's nothing natural about two men or women being sexually attracted to one another, nor is there anything natural about the sex. I'm not judging them nor have any feelings of hate. I just don't think it's natural but do you basically. Same with transgender, do you. I don't care.

Dunki

Unless you have steps on how to remove the stigma around disorders, I’m not seeing how that approach is any stronger than the WTOs in this case. I also see zero negatives to this approach, and certainly nothing that affects anyone whining about it in this thread
How about education in schools? With this decision you state that mental disorders/illness are a very bad thing and should never be talked about. It does the stigmatization it needs to get rid of by openly talking about it and not make it a taboo. When something is not accepted by society we tend to make it a taboo something we should never talk about. And this is the wrong way.

Last edited:

Future

How about education in schools? With this decision you state that mental disorders/illness are a very bad thing and should never be talked about. It does the stigmatization it needs to get rid of by openly talking about it and not make it a taboo. When something is not accepted by society we tend to make it a taboo something we should never talk about. And this is the wrong way.

Agreed. How about education on how it is not a disorder like the WTO recommends? I was taught about transgender in school already, and it did nothing regarding stigmatizing it or not, maybe this well help. Unless you are about cite some psycological expertise on how it won’t?

This goes with being gay. There's nothing natural about two men or women being sexually attracted to one another, nor is there anything natural about the sex. I'm not judging them nor have any feelings of hate. I just don't think it's natural but do you basically. Same with transgender, do you. I don't care.

Hopefully the not caring part extends to how these things are officially portrayed. Hate to say it but your post is exactly the type of thinking people are trying to get people to stop. In fact they arleady portray homosexuality in a non disorder light, and while you still disagree, I’d argue it still should be taught and portrayed in this manner

Dunki

Agreed. How about education on how it is not a disorder like the WTO recommends? I was taught about transgender in school already, and it did nothing regarding stigmatizing it or not, maybe this well help. Unless you are about cite some psycological expertise on how it won’t?

I will ask again. How does this help getting rid of the stigmatiztion mental illness has in society today. You are not getting rid of the stigmatization you try to get this special illness to get out of the whole definition. Transgender is genetical deffect if you want it or not and there is nothing bad about it. But it needs treatment it needs often surgery etc and it needs empathy. However what it does not need is hiding from the truth because of feeling.

Also by getting rid of the stigmatization mental disorders or an mental illness is facing will not only help transgender people but everyone with such an illness.

Shiki_

Banned
I will ask again. How does this help getting rid of the stigmatiztion mental illness has in society today. You are not getting rid of the stigmatization you try to get this special illness to get out of the whole definition. Transgender is genetical deffect if you want it or not and there is nothing bad about it. But it needs treatment it needs often surgery etc and it needs empathy. However what it does not need is hiding from the truth because of feeling.

Also by getting rid of the stigmatization mental disorders or an mental illness is facing will not only help transgender people but everyone with such an illness.

Being transgender IS NOT AN ILLNESS.

Last edited:

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ahh I see where we're getting to the part of the topic where people start calling gay people mentally ill.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wait is gay=transgender now?

In all honestly, I think any sexuality that isn't natural is an illness. This goes with being gay. There's nothing natural about two men or women being sexually attracted to one another, nor is there anything natural about the sex. I'm not judging them nor have any feelings of hate. I just don't think it's natural but do you basically. Same with transgender, do you. I don't care.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Dude animals have gay sex all the time no homo though. And animals are pretty much all natural.

Dunki

Being transgender IS NOT AN ILLNESS.
A pathological condition of a body part, an organ, or a system resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

Because "disease" specifies that the pathological condition be of a body part, people were less likely to use the term "mental illness" before it was understood that mental illness are diseases of the body.

The difference between "mental disorder" and "mental illness," then is one of considering the origin of the condition.

IST OF MENTAL ILLNESSES, DISORDERS
The major types of mental illnesses, disorders are the following:

Top Bottom