• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Shiggy said:
Europe will get it on December 12th. WiiWare version seems to be published by 2dBoy, retail version by RTL.
LOL @ Retail version.

Cheez-It

GaimeGuy said:
And this "gaming" forum doesn't care about it because it isn't by Valve/Blizzard/Square Enix/Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo.

I don't know if I agree with this. Certainly less people rave about it, but plenty do. It should certainly be receiving more attention though, and should be a contender for GOTY IMHO. LBP is the only game that should come close...

Joei

One of my friends bought this game. He's demanding I buy it. According to him it's not only awesome, but it's AWESOME awesome.

Haunted

Joei said:
One of my friends bought this game. He's demanding I buy it. According to him it's not only awesome, but it's AWESOME awesome.
Your friend.... is correct.

comics_bwHobbes.gif

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Burli said:
Will this game be available on steam in europe?

yes.

Also, I thought the Wii retail version had been canned and only the PC was going to have two skus (retail, DD/Steam)... 2D Boy said so himself, has this changed?

Joei

So I bought the game and am having a decent time with it. I just keep getting stuck on 2 levels. Tower of Goo in the first chapter and You Have to Explode the Head in the third chapter keep giving me the biggest headache. I can't seem to build a decent tower without them falling over once I get a few meters high. In Explode I'm not even getting remotely close to the top portion where the dangling green and silver goo are. Anyone have any tips for building decent towers without them falling over 2 seconds after being built? I've tried what I can think of... building decent bases, adding goos as counter weights on both sides of the tower, etc. but nothing's working.

Ok so I just beat Head, but barely... still can't do Tower though. :(

http://2dboy.com/2008/12/09/goo-oozing-into-europe-finally/

Goo Oozing Into Europe (Finally!)
Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 from Ron Carmel

PC version officially launches in Europe this Thursday, December 11. It will be available on Steam, amazon.de, and retail stores across Europe (we’ll post a list as soon as we get one from our publisher).

WiiWare version is currently going through lot check and will be out as soon as it is approved. Oz will get World of Goo on the same day as Europe. We’ll post an exact release date as soon as we have one.

The PC version will go for 20 Euros and the WiiWare version will be 1500 Wii Points.

Big thank you to European gamers who have been patient and understanding towards us! This was our first launch and we learned a lot about what NOT to do in the future :)

pakkit

Banned
This game is fucking awesome.

I was happy with my purchase until "The Red Carpet" level. Then I was damn impressed and read up more about 2dboy.

Then I got to the end of Chapter 3, and the rest is history.

If you dislike this game because you find it "overly difficult", retake high school physics. I found myself tackling a lot of the objectives, but just because of the way they were cleverly designed. Also, theWorld of Goo Soundtrack was upped by "The Sign Painter." Given the DRM free nature of the developers, and the highly unlikely chance that this soundtrack will see commercial release, I'm sharing it here, but I'll quick edit it out if its a NeoGAF no-no.

Thanks! I bought the WiiWare version day 1 and just like everyone else, loved the music. So much so that I considered downloading one of the PC versions floating around just for the music. Sorry, but I can't see myself spending $20 for a soundtrack to a $15 game. ;) But I'd love to find out "The Sign Painter" you mentioned was one of the 2Dboy guys.

TheExodu5

Banned
Joei said:
So I bought the game and am having a decent time with it. I just keep getting stuck on 2 levels. Tower of Goo in the first chapter and You Have to Explode the Head in the third chapter keep giving me the biggest headache. I can't seem to build a decent tower without them falling over once I get a few meters high. In Explode I'm not even getting remotely close to the top portion where the dangling green and silver goo are. Anyone have any tips for building decent towers without them falling over 2 seconds after being built? I've tried what I can think of... building decent bases, adding goos as counter weights on both sides of the tower, etc. but nothing's working.

Ok so I just beat Head, but barely... still can't do Tower though. :(

Well this is far too late, but for You Have to Explode the Head, you want to build on both sides of the head, and adjoin both sides above the head. That will create a very sturdy structure.

Nicktals

Banned
Favorite game of the year for me.

Absolutely awesome game.

Strikes the same vein of pure gameplay bliss that something like Tetris does.

Also the music is great, and that's coming from someone who typically doesn't give a hoot about music.

Yeah, buy this game.

theBishop

Banned
theBishop said:
I bought this game 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting for the linux version.

Still waiting. I've owned this game for over a month, and I still can't play it. WTF. If it's actually in beta, let me download the damn beta!

Arozay

Picked this up the other day, almost finished it by the looks of things and I've enjoyed it for the most part.

Complaints would be that whatever goo you don't want seems to hump the area you're interested in, whether it be another goo or a joint you're trying to detach. Also the vague connection points + swaying is aids. Both things are especially aids when you're expected to do things fast. Also, turn-reverse randomly flying over the cursor can be a punch in the dick.

But yeah, looking forward to whatever these guys do with the idea next, frustrations aside.

So the game is available on the european WiiWare for a few days. I bought it, played it quite a bit and I have to say this is probably the best downloadable game I've ever played. Only Mega Man 9 and Stardust HD come even close to the awesomeness that is World of Goo. <3
Really, everyone should buy this game. Or better twice.

PBalfredo

I bought World of Goo PC for the White Elephant gift exchange at work. For those who don't know, White Elephant is when everyone takes turns either picking a gift from the pile or stealing a gift someone else already unwrapped. I remembered hearing all the praise this game had gotten and since The Dark Knight DVD I unwrapped got stolen from me I just stole back World of Goo. Good thing the gifts were anonymous so nobody knows I totally betrayed the spirit of the gift exchange :lol

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. I'm bringing it back home with me for the holidays because I think my dad, who is an engineer, would get a real kick out of it.

Shiggy

PBalfredo said:
I bought World of Goo PC for the White Elephant gift exchange at work. For those who don't know, White Elephant is when everyone takes turns either picking a gift from the pile or stealing a gift someone else already unwrapped. I remembered hearing all the praise this game had gotten and since The Dark Knight DVD I unwrapped got stolen from me I just stole back World of Goo. Good thing the gifts were anonymous so nobody knows I totally betrayed the spirit of the gift exchange :lol

:lol :lol :lol

I'll get it in three days :)

wsippel

Banned
The game is absolutely brillant. I really can't wait to see 2D Boys next game. EA made a huge mistake to let those two guys go.

Tab0203

dyls said:
Lo, I am here to speak the goodness of Dual Wielding ... I definitely plan on using it more often. It could really help with speed runs as well.
dyls said:
... Seriously, I can't over-emphasize how much dual wielding can change the game. On levels like the one where you race the really long "wick" of red goos, you can build much faster using two hands. It takes a little getting used to, but is really satisfying once you get it going.
Caesar III said:
You are talking about Wii Version right? There you can use 2 Wiimotes at the same time ? Wow, that's just great. I only have one mouse :)
psy18 said:
You're playing the wii version? Doesn't work on mine (PC).
permutated said:
Are we ever going to see this on XBLA I really really want to play it.
Dual wielding. :lol That's pretty cool.

XBLA version... lol

I played both versions. I still haven't upgraded/bought a new PC (Mac/Wii/DS atm).

The wii version is great. Nicely implemented rumble and the pointer deadzone is somewhere in between Trauma Center and Galaxy. Very responsive, no lag, just a very small deadzone.

Yet another game where pointing at the screen is more fun than sliding around/pick up/waggle a mouse on a mousepad. RE4, PES, Trauma Center, Endless Ocean, Galaxy's pointing at pull stars and star bits and light gun games.

Impossible with Mouse & Keyboard or dual analog: WoG dual wielding, Boom Blox, Trauma Center, Zack and Wiki, Wii Sports/Play/Fit/Music, Metroid Prime 3 and Elebits. I left out FPSs in general because I like both wiimote & nunchuk and M&K equally for different reasons. Analog movement with the nunchuk is nice, though. I'm looking forward to motion plus.

Amazing music. Great game.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is seriously an amazing game. I just played about an hour and a half of it, and I could barely put it down. My favorite part was at the end of Chapter 2 where
the sign says "I'm glad this isn't in Hi-Def
. I loled.

Threi

notag
SecretBonusPoint said:
Not feeling it at all. Is there a point/world at which most people agree it just clicks? I have played several better free flash games this year such as Fantastic Contraption and Auditorium and outside of the great production values this game feels lacking.
fdu0pg.gif
Um yeah actually. I don't remember exactly where it is but there is one point where the difficulty seriously ramps up (i think end of chapter 1?)

Anyways comparing WoG to fantastic contraption is unfair. Fantastic contraption is a freak of nature in it's awesomeness :lol

Tab0203

The game gets better and better. I watched/read all the interviews. These guys are good.

http://www.destructoid.com/destruct...-gabler-creators-of-world-of-goo-110671.phtml
What, in your opinion, makes a good puzzle? Did you try to build World of Goo around that?

KG: I'm not sure about what makes a good puzzle, but in World of Goo, whether it was a good idea or not, there were some specific rules and criteria for levels:

1. No level can rely on luck or randomness. Luck causes frustration!
2. No level can be like any other level. Always introduce something new.
3. Every level must be visually distinct and iconic. Helps build the fiction of the world.

These probably won't work for a lot of games, but they worked ok for us. And they were the reason about 2 out of every 3 levels got killed!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This game is so fucking fantastic. I'm up to Chapter 3 and the game just keeps on impressing me. I love having it windowed as I browse or work, it makes procrastination easy[er]!

PBalfredo said:

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. I'm bringing it back home with me for the holidays because I think my dad, who is an engineer, would get a real kick out of it.
That totally awesome but I'm going to nit pick and tell you that's not what a white elephant gift exchange means. What you're thinking of sounds like a version of Naughty Santa (or whatever the game was they played in the Office.) A white elephant present is a gift that is completely useless to the recipient. An example would be giving someone the movie Gigli.

Edit: On topic: This game is fucking awesome and I'm stuck deciding between getting it for the Wii and starting all over, or getting it for my Mac and being able to continue where I left off in the demo...

Alcibiades

Is there gonna be a retail version for the Wii?

I want to buy this when I get back to school but I won't be able to connect my Wii online while at the dorms and since I'll likely leave it in my dorm during the breaks I might not get it online (and therefore have an opportunity to download this) until next Christmas...

Even if it costs more (and it has to be passed to consumers) they really need to get this in stores.

Bo130

The datapage on WiiWare says 1-4 Players. Is 4 player still available in World of Goo? If so, how to play it? Can't seem to find it and I'm going over to a friends house in a bit to play multiplayer on a few Wii games. Would like to play this as well..

Shiggy

Bo130 said:
The datapage on WiiWare says 1-4 Players. Is 4 player still available in World of Goo? If so, how to play it? Can't seem to find it and I'm going over to a friends house in a bit to play multiplayer on a few Wii games. Would like to play this as well..

I think there's a four player co-op. Just press a button on the other remotes and another "dot" will appear.

GC|Simon

Bo130 said:

Just turn on a second Wiimote and you can play with a friend. Or turn on more Wiimotes and you can play with more friends.

Bo130

D'oh... Thought of it as I wrote it, but was in a hurry, so I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks, guys! Looking forward to trying it out in 4P tonight.

Billen

Banned
Got a Wii from my wife this christmas and this was the first game I got. Completely awesome. Delivers a feeling similar to the one that Lemmings used to give me when I played it on the Amiga.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Not feeling it at all. Is there a point/world at which most people agree it just clicks?

I thought it was a pretty neat little game, then I got to the final of chapter 1. Damn awesome and it really shows off the games potential to be epic.

SpokkX

Billen said:
Got a Wii from my wife this christmas and this was the first game I got. Completely awesome. Delivers a feeling similar to the one that Lemmings used to give me when I played it on the Amiga.

Yes!

I also reminded me of Lemmings for some reason. And I love Lemmings

RJT

The demo did nothing for me...

I like puzzle games (yes, Lemmings was one of my childhood favorites), and I even spent hours years ago on a bridge building game. But I can't find awesomeness in World of Goo's demo...

What am I doing wrong?

markot

Banned
I thought the game was awesome from the moment I loaded the demo up on the PC >_< everything about it, the music, the art and the gameplay, its just so great.

Bigfoot

RJT said:
The demo did nothing for me...

I like puzzle games (yes, Lemmings was one of my childhood favorites), and I even spent hours years ago on a bridge building game. But I can't find awesomeness in World of Goo's demo...

What am I doing wrong?
Maybe you just got old and jaded? Not sure, I'm an old gamer now and I love this game.

Top Bottom