• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

Finished it this past week, and I must say that... this game was even better than I expected - and I already expected a damn great game ! Needless to say, I pretty much loved it, from start to finish. Truly a beautiful game, which I absolutely can't recommend enough.

RJT

I don't get it...
I thought Puzzle Quest was good but repetitive (couldn't finish it), I didn't like Audiosurf, didn't like Peggle, World of Goo didn't seem like it would be worth 15€...

I guess these days I'm more into cinematic games like Max Payne 2, Portal, CoD4, Bioshock or Left 4 Dead. Oh well, I promise I'll get this game when it's 5-8€ on Steam. Sorry GAF...

Blablurn

RJT said:
The demo did nothing for me...

I like puzzle games (yes, Lemmings was one of my childhood favorites), and I even spent hours years ago on a bridge building game. But I can't find awesomeness in World of Goo's demo...

What am I doing wrong?

you, sir, one day, have propably lost your soul.

Davey Cakes

It's okay for one not to think that World of Goo is there cup of tea. I've played it, and it's enjoyable, but it's not exactly "my kind" of game. I've also played other downloadables like Toki Tori and Braid, and these are fine games too, but I never finished them, and don't really feel the need to. At the same time, I cannot imagine one saying that the game isn't worth the $15 you pay for it on WiiWare. World of Goo could cost $50 and it would be a more worthwhile game than a lot of the other stuff that's out there, especially among other similarly-priced fare on Wii.

The game is a steal for its price. End of story. A team of two guys put to shame many teams of several guys with much higher budgets. Supporting indie gaming like this, especially with such reasonable price of admission, is probably one of the best ways you could contribute to the industry.

RJT

Blablurn said:
you, sir, one day, have propably lost your soul.
Well, people said the same to me in the "Resident Evil 4 is mediocre" thread, so maybe it's true.

Rash said:
At the same time, I cannot imagine one saying that the game isn't worth the $15 you pay for it on WiiWare. World of Goo could cost $50 and it would be a more worthwhile game than a lot of the other stuff that's out there, especially among other similarly-priced fare on Wii.
I have issues with 50$ games too. The only game I bought for 50$ was The Orange Box, which is one of the few I would argue it's worth it.

World of Goo's pricing is fine, but since I probably wouldn't play it with all the backlog I have, I'll be waiting for a deal to finally jump on board.

Billen

Banned
RJT said:
The demo did nothing for me...

I like puzzle games (yes, Lemmings was one of my childhood favorites), and I even spent hours years ago on a bridge building game. But I can't find awesomeness in World of Goo's demo...

What am I doing wrong?

Playing it on the PC? I love it with the wiimote.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
downloading the pc demo right now. guess i've been kind of remiss in not even giving this a shot yet, but i'm ready to rectify it.

dLMN8R

It makes me so happy when people rave about how awesome chapter 1 is. It only means they'll appreciate the better later chapters even more :D

samratty

copped this recently along with two of the art style games. jus got to chapter 3 and i'm loving this game soo much.

i played the pc demo a while back which shows it off decently, but it's just got better and better. the humour is pretty funny too.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
samratty said:
copped this recently along with two of the art style games. jus got to chapter 3 and i'm loving this game soo much.

i played the pc demo a while back which shows it off decently, but it's just got better and better. the humour is pretty funny too.
you copied it? :/

Played a fair bit of the demo tonight, then handed it over to my 6 year old daughter who really enjoyed it.

Getting a big time Lemmings vibe from the game, which is pretty cool. I love Lemmings games.

Shiggy

Does anyone know how to get the OCD on the last level?

And btw, the GAF search function is completely broken ...

Keikoku

Banned
I can't change the resolution of this game... I've already change this line in the .txt file but it still runs on 800*600...

Slavik81

Hmm... Pretty good.
The game got steadily worse after the awesomeness that was chapter 1.
Chapter 2 wasn't quite as good, and Chapters 3 and 4 were disappointing.
Still, it finished on a high note. The epilogue was a return to form.

Now to OCD some levels...

jibblypop

Banned
I already really liked this game but now I love it!

For some reason I didn't realize a second person could just pick up a remote and play alongside you. This makes it even better for me since everyone I show this game to feels compelled to try it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Have this on the mac and I'm not that crazy about it. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I'm normally like the #1 champion of weird, 2d indie-style games. I play XBLA far more than literally anything else.

Yet... something about World of Goo just doesn't click, with me. I feel like half the stages are gimmicky, and in the other half I'm building the exact same type of shape to succeed, just with one tiny twist.

Taxman

The soundtrack to this game drives me nuts. Almost every song is great but would be 10 times greater if it was 2 or 2.5 times as long. Especially the main theme. I love it but it's just way too short.

adg1034

PacoDG said:
Kyle of 2D Boy has put up the World of Goo Soundtrack

Torrent Link

More links plus some info on the tracks @ http://kylegabler.com/WorldOfGooSoundtrack/

For a game made by a 2-person dev team, I think the time/awesomeness/effort that went into the music has been seriously underappreciated. Not only did Kyle have to handle half of the dev duties, but he also managed to create 49 kick-ass minutes of moody, ambient score to go along with the finished product.

PacoDG

Brave Adventurers is one of the coolest little inspiring song ever. I wish some songs were longer, but then again I probably wouldn't listen to them as much if they were.

Jasoco

Banned
Caesar III said:
why?
Goo is just too short to search for. Wii too :(
That's why it's "broken", because you can't search for a very large selection of words that people need to search for all the time.

The cutoff should be 2 letters. Not 3. Especially on a gaming forum because it cuts out Wii, Goo, PS3, 360.

Anyway, the soundtrack rocks. I had it on loop earlier.

Jasoco said:
The cutoff should be 2 letters. Not 3.
That would be fatal! The english language, which is used in here very often, has a lot of words with 3 or less letters. So the search index would be significantly bigger that way. Just count out all the 3 or less letter words in my posting. At the moment they were not counted but if they do this they would and we would see A LOT more 404s :(

(I counted 29 words btw)

The Hermit

Bumping this thread for the:

worldofgoosountrack480.jpg

It´s FREE. Get it at their homepage- http://2dboy.com/

They just keep amazing me...

I know I am late, but I just found this and more people should be aware too.

JohnsonUT

Just got to world 4. I am glad they "tightened up the graphics on level 3." So much polish and so many nerd jokes. I am in love.

wrowa

I just saw there's a level editor for the PC version. Is it any good? Are there worthwhile user stages?

This could be a reason to reconsider buying World of Goo for the PC... even if I already own it for Wii.

JohnsonUT said:
Just got to world 4. I am glad they "tightened up the graphics on level 3." So much polish and so many nerd jokes. I am in love.
Wait for the next to last stage of world 4. That one is amazing.

Time to play some debbie downer to this thread. I uninstalled the game on my PC (bought it when it was $10 on amazon after seeing the universal praise) halfway through Chapter 2 tonight. My take-while the game certainly has some pretty visuals and music, the actual gameplay feels like I headed over to Kongregate and played one of the many physics-based Flash games there. You build constructs like bridges and towers in varying angles and degrees, get from point A to point B, then do it again.

Certainly the counter argument to this is that the level design transcends that simple play, but when the levels I played are put under the microscope of this and judged for their mechanics, I just didn't see that materialize the game elevate itself in any way out of its genre. The game quickly wore out its welcome just about halfway in (two hours or so worth of play), there's just no meat to the core mechanics, and the game keeps relying on it's aesthetics and clumsy art house vibe.

Note that this game is a five-star game for a lot of gamers. I just found it to be a boring, fairly banal puzzler that is more flash ( pun intended ) than substance.

sort of a 2 star out of five game. Note that I'm not a hater of puzzle games by any means-I play a ton of casual puzzle stuff all the time, both stuff I've purchased and flash games on the web. This one just doesn't jump out at me as being novel in any way outside of the aesthetics.

edit: also I hate puppies, kittens, and I'm just bitter because the game can't be easily reduced to equations on a spreadsheet. or something.

TheExodu5

Banned
Baiano19 said:
Bumping this thread for the:

worldofgoosountrack480.jpg

It´s FREE. Get it at their homepage- http://2dboy.com/

They just keep amazing me...

I know I am late, but I just found this and more people should be aware too.

Wow. Awesome! World of Goo has one of the greatest soundtracks of recent memory.

EazyB

Banned
Is there a way to turn the volume of this game down? I feel ridiculous because I can't even find a way to change any of the settings but this is a great podcast game and the music is too loud.

diss

Banned
bought it and played it on the macbook
it's awesome
this game deserves more than 12 pages in its official thread
2d boy deserves more money and even more accolades

Jasoco

Banned
diss said:
bought it and played it on the macbook
it's awesome
this game deserves more than 12 pages in its official thread
2d boy deserves more money and even more accolades
You mean 6 pages. You're doing it wrong.

Model 500

Imo, World of Goo is one of those games that every gamer should own. I've already sent this to 5 of my friends, they all loved it. Spread the word guys...

Once again, much respect to 2DBOY, games like this is what the industry needs.

N1CKOLAS

Neo Member
A bit LTTP, but my god, this game is incredible. I originally planned on spending 15 minutes between classes to play a couple levels and ended up playing for well over an hour completing the first world. I haven't been this sucked in to a game since Peggle. The start of every level brings a smile to my face. The combination of the background art, the music, and the signs makes this game absolutely delightful. (Did I just say delightful...?) I'm not sure why it took me so long to give this game a try. I'm recommending it to everyone I know!

Fragamemnon said:
Time to play some debbie downer to this thread. I uninstalled the game on my PC (bought it when it was $10 on amazon after seeing the universal praise) halfway through Chapter 2 tonight. My take-while the game certainly has some pretty visuals and music, the actual gameplay feels like I headed over to Kongregate and played one of the many physics-based Flash games there. You build constructs like bridges and towers in varying angles and degrees, get from point A to point B, then do it again.

Certainly the counter argument to this is that the level design transcends that simple play, but when the levels I played are put under the microscope of this and judged for their mechanics, I just didn't see that materialize the game elevate itself in any way out of its genre. The game quickly wore out its welcome just about halfway in (two hours or so worth of play), there's just no meat to the core mechanics, and the game keeps relying on it's aesthetics and clumsy art house vibe.

Note that this game is a five-star game for a lot of gamers. I just found it to be a boring, fairly banal puzzler that is more flash ( pun intended ) than substance.

sort of a 2 star out of five game. Note that I'm not a hater of puzzle games by any means-I play a ton of casual puzzle stuff all the time, both stuff I've purchased and flash games on the web. This one just doesn't jump out at me as being novel in any way outside of the aesthetics.

edit: also I hate puppies, kittens, and I'm just bitter because the game can't be easily reduced to equations on a spreadsheet. or something.
Hey, that's exactly how I feel! I didn't even like the art or music. And I paid $20 like a sucker!

Fragamemnon said:

I also disliked the game, and ended up quitting somewhere around chapter 4. While I still found the game dull it wasn't as a result of the mechanic's variety. The game does change up the mechanics; you get 'balloon' style goos, cyber goos which can be thrown, and so on.The gameplay does become more than, build shit to get from point A to point B.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fragamemnon said:

I liked the music (more than anything else) and I did play the game to the end but I still agree with what you're saying here. I haven't felt the push to replay more than the first few levels for the OCD rank because after all was said and done I didn't find the mechanics particularly good or even that much fun, only enough to warrant a single playthrough. I'm not complaining and probably not making much sense here, I did get addicted to the game while playing it, but looking in retrospect... I'm glad to see so many people having a great time with this but it couldn't be farther from GOTY material to me.

Top Bottom