• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft - Flight is coming to Draenor

Boogdud

So they're going to give you flight, after you've ground the current expansion into dust and are so sick of seeing it you won't even want to log in. Sounds good.

Ogawa-san

Blizzard really can't win. They'd be wrong by sticking with their decision, and they're wrong for listening to the community and going back on it.

Arc

So they're going to give you flight, after you've ground the current expansion into dust and are so sick of seeing it you won't even want to log in. Sounds good.

Everyone is already sick of it. WoD has about as much content as Destiny.

Oscar

No hyperbole, this is gonna destroy any bit of World PvP that was left. I'm leveling an alt right now, and have gotten into some crazy fights while riding around in my mount. With this easy button, people will just bail the minute they see danger. Draenor actually felt a bit like a warzone.

PvE wise, I can see why people love this change. Will make questing/doing shit much faster.

It's really just a major blow to World PvP.

Clearos

Always had a small urge to come back since WotLK but this def. helped me stay 100%. As already stated I think flying kills a lot of the game.

Moaradin

Everyone is already sick of it. WoD has about as much content as Destiny.

For real? Man, and I thought it was bad when we'd go almost an entire year without any new content after the last major WotLK one. And you're telling me the expansions don't even have good base content now? LOL

What the hell is going on with WoW these days.

This was my reaction.

In order to unlock flight, you have to exhaust all the content that you would have used flight for in the first place.

And just in case you already exhausted most of that content, they're adding 3 new reputation grinds for you to spend a couple month's subscription (or game time tokens) on.

So basically, you get to fly after you have nothing to fly to. lol

Serick

Married Member
Well I canceled last month. Can't say I regret it. Won't be back for 6.2

Maybe the next expansion will be more interesting than
ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Blizzard really can't win. They'd be wrong by sticking with their decision, and they're wrong for listening to the community and going back on it.

Yes. When there's a problem to which the answers are simply "yes" or "no", one side will only be happy when the other isn't.

It's mind-blowing, I know.

Hugstable

Banned
I thought they said they wanted to get rid of flying? I haven't played since Cata, but taking away flying would have been an awesome change, it got ridiculous after awhile, I loved Vanilla and getting to explore all over the world and having to run everywhere instead of just flying over everything.

Arc

For real? Man, and I thought it was bad when we'd go almost an entire year without any new content after the last major WotLK one. And you're telling me the expansions don't even have good base content now? LOL

What the hell is going on with WoW these days.

Base content wasn't bad, although there were fewer zones.

But it's been over six months and there hasn't been a content patch. 6.1 just opened a raid that was already in the game.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Thats a ridiculous amount of work to do to unlock flight. I imagine this will get toned down as well. What good is adding back flight if no one is going to unlock it? I'm definitely in the pro flight crowd. I didn't spend all that time doing achievements in ICC and Ulduar to have that shit go to waste. Its cool that they have a different view on it now, but its too late. The cat has been let out of the bag, and removing features is always bullshit.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I guess I don't understand that there are people who unhappy about flying coming back.

You can just not do those requirements if your too stubborn by using ground mounts. Options are good.

Brew124

Basically. I don't mind them adding flying back in for those that really want flight in Draenor. I absolutely agree with gating it the way that they are instead of just randomly opening it back up. The flight vs. no flight debate for me never really mattered. I've been surviving without it, but will I do the necessary steps to unlock it? Yeah, because why not? Not much else to do besides raid at the moment anyway.

Oscar

Kek. World PvP was already dead when Battleground was introduced.

Really, explain to me what's the fun of ganking people while doing some leveling?

There's a thrill in venturing into a contested zone and having to plan out your quests according to how many opposing faction guys are nearby. Oh there's only one? Cool, i'll do my quest and watch my back in case he tries to get the jump on me. Other times it would be like, "yo there's three of us and three of them, let's go at it". Without being able to speak to the opposing faction, there's a mutual "shit is about to go down" tension in the air until someone finally strikes another player. Chaos ensues, and one side comes out on top (until they call for help, lol).

I don't know man, World PvP is something I've always enjoyed. It gives life to what is otherwise a giant "vs CPU" sandbox.

Boogdud

Wow was pretty surprised at my wife's reaction. Linked her the article, said something else through chat and she's like "hold on, I'm cancelling both my accounts". Stone cold.

So, what I don't get is. After doing all that ass-hattery what possible reason could you actually have to fly around in Draenor? I mean, it was designed with no flight in mind. There are flight paths literally everywhere. So you're going to get done with this thing and then what? Sit around in your garrison?

Savitar

No flying was the best call they made. But with the subs dropping and complaints I'm sure someone decided to over ride the team that makes the game. Such is business.

Karl Hawk

Banned
There's a thrill in venturing into a contested zone and having to plan out your quests according to how many opposing faction guys are nearby. Oh there's only one? Cool, i'll do my quest and watch my back in case he tries to get the jump on me. Other times it would be like, "yo there's three of us and three of them, let's go at it". Without being able to speak to the opposing faction, there's a mutual "shit is about to go down" tension in the air until someone finally strikes another player. Chaos ensues, and one side comes out on top (until they call for help, lol).

I don't know man, World PvP is something I've always enjoyed. It gives life to what is otherwise a giant "vs CPU" sandbox.

No flight was there in Draenor for months, and I haven't seen any ounce of World PvP that you guys are so fond of.

Then again, when the end-game content is barren for non-raiding players, it shouldn't be surprising.

TheYanger

If they're going to bring it back (They shouldn't, but clearly the whiny bitch masses win) this is the way to do it - for those that have no idea, those achievements represent BASICALLY everything that flying would completely ruin.

No flight was there in Draenor for months, and I haven't seen any ounce of World PvP that you guys are so fond of.

Then again, when the end-game content is barren for non-raiding players, it shouldn't be surprising.

That's because of Garrisons, which they recognize the failing of in that respect. Flying only had nothing to do with it THIS time, the past four expansions Garrisons didn't exist and we saw the effect flying had.

This is a case where whiners want everything to be easy (and no, not in a 'HARDCORE' way, but in a 'hey I'm using cheat codes and making the game actually less fun' way).

Eiolon

Sub numbers must have dropped after saying there would be no flying... only logical reason for this. Have to follow the money.

CHC

The WoW community always gets exactly what it demands, which is part of the reason the game is so boring now.

Azzurri

Another question might be "Is WoW a role-playing game anymore?"

They've been chasing a different demographic for a long, long time now.

It's sad, the game was so fun back in the day before BG's and you actually had to ride your mount to the instanced allowing for some great OW PvP. But people are so impatient these days that you could never go back.

Good thing is now that new MMO coming out have went back to the old ways using older mechanics which make the game feel fun again, for me anayways.

Arc

Subs have dropped because there is no content. That's it.

People don't want to pay $15 a month for access to a bunch of instances they already paid $50 for.

Berordn

Literally less than a month ago they said no flight was coming. The account cancellations must have been epic.

Which might have just been exacerbated by their latest commitment to no flying, but the writing has been on the wall for a while with WoD. If this is a band-aid to fix bleeding subs, they're probably looking at the wrong things as the root of the issue.

jwk94

As a former WoW player, I don't see the problem with flying. Hell, I didn't know people HAD a problem with flying.

Boogdud

Literally less than a month ago they said no flight was coming. The account cancellations must have been epic.

I don't think they're going to get any better. Wow is dying on the vine. Not having any real content for 6-12 months at a time will do that.

Kinsella

Banned
Boo. No flight was the only thing this expansion had going for it. Seriously, fuck flying. Straight up ruined the game.

How does being able to fast travel ruin the game? Is the game so devoid of meaningful content that actually getting from point A to point B is considered part of the challenge? That could explain why there's always a huge exodus from the game mere months after every expansion. When you're making your consumers jump through a stupid amount of hoops just to earn the ability to do something as basic as hopping on their flying mounts, you know your game is lacking in content.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Exact wrong way to handle this. They should have either stuck to their guns and disallowed flying all the way through the expansion, or just said "F IT" and made everyone pay 100g to unlock flying after a certain date.

TheYanger

As a former WoW player, I don't see the problem with flying. Hell, I didn't know people HAD a problem with flying.

As a rogue player in vanilla, flying was tantamount to giving everyone stealth - you just bypass every single bit of combat to get to what you want at the end. They had to start putting any meaningful quest content inside caves and shit to prevent flying. Flying is pointless.

How does being able to fast travel ruin the game? Is the game so devoid of meaningful content that actually getting from point A to point B is considered part of the challenge? That could explain why there's always a huge exodus from the game mere months after every expansion. When you're making your consumers jump through a stupid amount of hoops just to earn the ability to do something as basic as hopping on their flying mounts, you know your game is lacking in content.

Fast travel =/= flying. Flying is bypassing content, actual fast travel in a typical game only saves you time getting to general areas IE: flight paths, which always existed and are JUST AS FAST AS FLYING. You won't get anywhere faster with flying except for skipping everything between the flight path and the end goal, which is an important part of making you 'do something' in the first place.

Flying is like playing mega man and skipping right to the boss.

Acinixys

Cant believe you guys are suprised

Blizzard are literally the worst at balancing and decision making when it comes to their online games

See:

Starcraft 2 and its death as an esport
Diablo 3 always online and auction house on PC
Hearthstone PC still looking like an iPad app 2 years after launch

etc etc

I always wonder if no flying has had quite the impact on subs that people estimate, especially compared to how thin the weekly WoD content grind was once the playerbase realized the Garrison is Simpsons Tapped out with a subscription fee.

Flying is being introduced to this expansion largely the way it was introduced into previous expansions. You couldn't fly from level 60 in Outland, 70 in Northrend, etc. You needed to do significant progress before flight opened up. WoD has delayed it longer than previous expansions for sure, and these requirements are the steepest yet. I think Blizzard is not done relenting to the backlash but further lowering the barriers to flying is not going to bring those 3 million subs back.

Moaradin

I don't think they're going to get any better. Wow is dying on the vine. Not having any real content for 6-12 months at a time will do that.

I can't believe they're still getting away with that. Content drought was the tipping point that made me quit. Farming ICC for 12 months made me really dislike the game.

Culex

Banned
Boils down to this:

"Blizzard takes away flying"

HOW DARE YOU TAKE AWAY FLYING! I AM QUITTING NOW!

"Blizzard brings back flying"

HOW DARE YOU! I WAS HAPPY WITH NO FLYING. THE WORLD SEEMED SO MUCH BIGGER! IM QUITTING NOW!

Basically you aren't allowed to complain for both.

Interfectum

Cant believe you guys are suprised

Blizzard are literally the worst at balancing and decision making when it comes to their online games

See:

Starcraft 2 and its death as an esport
Diablo 3 always online and auction house on PC
Hearthstone PC still looking like an iPad app 2 years after launch

etc etc

Diablo 3 I'll give you.

SC2 was inevitable thanks to the rise of LoL and Dota 2.

Not sure about the Hearthstone jab. It's a card game.

Oscar

I'm on Tichondrius and still see plenty of World PvP to this day. Experiences vary by your server group and what time of the day you play.

Top Bottom