• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Up to 30,603g now when I log in and it asks me to reactivate with gold. I think it's going to be mostly supply-constrained right now, especially since people with money wouldn't be out of work yet.

Will have to check back later tonight, then later this week to see how it fluctuates. I can't imagine it going that much higher in the immediate future, but it's hard to say - we don't know statistics on the wealth of the WoW population at large.

A lot of people might have enough to buy a couple and try out the feature creating a higher initial demand, but won't be able to sustain it as a means to subscribe indefinitely like the very wealthy (gold cap+) would.

It'll probably take a few months to stabilize at a low, then slowly increase in price over time.

---

This also may be a boon for the transmog market, since people who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford certain rare pieces now have a way to acquire the gold necessary to purchase them.

Fjordson

This also may be a boon for the transmog market, since people who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford certain rare pieces now have a way to acquire the gold necessary to purchase them.
Transmog and large capacity bags for me. Any bags over like 22 slots are always crazy expensive on my server.

ZenaxPure

Up to 30,603g now when I log in and it asks me to reactivate with gold. I think it's going to be mostly supply-constrained right now, especially since people with money wouldn't be out of work yet.

They also don't go up immediately apparently, I guess. Saw a thread where a couple of people said it had been over an hour but they hadn't managed to sell theirs despite the fact everyone else is saying they can't find any on the AH. Probably some weird behind the scenes stuff, especially considering it attempts to give you an estimated time on how long it will take to sell when you put one up on the AH.

BUT anyway, I think it might be starting to balance itself out. I managed to buy 3 more in a row without it failing (as when it fails you are forced to wait 1 minute before you can attempt to buy another).

Got 5 months left on my sub now and still a ton of gold so I'm just going to chill for the time being. Even if the price of the token shoots up a bunch (which I'm not sure will happen) at the rate I'm making gold right now it would be incredibly easy to pass the gold cap by the time my sub ran out. Shouldn't really have a lot of problems keeping this going.

Babalu.

ugh I wanted to buy 2-3 months worth of tokens and then see where it is in 3 months pricewise.

Of course blizz is lame as hell and you cant even buy them from the mobile armory app.

So now I have to wait until 5-6pm to go home and buy them when the price will have no doubt increased by then.

I'm guessing it will be 40k by tomorrow.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think the overall trend will mirror buying gold from the diablo AH, personally, albeit not as hugely pronounced.

Depends on the supply mostly, I think, here.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
1. Anyone play on Aszune or know a Guild I can join?

2. Best professions for my Pally? To make money with

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is the token exchange universal across all servers? Meaning one price/market for everyone?

I don't know what you're doing in your Garrison, but it shouldn't take that much time. Just run follower missions that reward gold. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes per Garrison, and a single Garrison is enough if you've been rotating in/rerolling for Treasure Hunters. Two or more is just more passive income.

Just don't really feel like lvling more followers with Treasure Hunters, then getting them to epic status, then getting them to ilvl 675. It's not fun. But i guess I could do it, since i have nothing better to do than running old raids these days.

ZenaxPure

I think everyone is trying to buy it up right now, it should go down when the supply increases the next couple days....

Yeah I wonder if this is what will happen as well. I wonder what people's buying habits will be. I bought 4 months total just to be safe (since if price goes up a bunch yay for me and if it goes down whatever, won't be much lost gold) but I am curious if other people will just be doing it one month at a time or what.

Mostly ask because if there are a lot of people just buying multiple months of sub time right now the demand 1 month from now is almost certainly going to be lower than it is now.

2. Best professions for my Pally? To make money with

Professions are crap for cash right now because they are heavily time gated. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it but you aren't going to be making a ton of gold from it. Honestly you just need to check the prices of things on your server to see what you should take. The 2 servers I play on (one high pop one medium pop) have different enough economies that the professions I take are different. Only thing I'd say for sure is don't take a gathering profession and engineering is probably pretty bad.

davepoobond

Yeah I wonder if this is what will happen as well. I wonder what people's buying habits will be. I bought 4 months total just to be safe (since if price goes up a bunch yay for me and if it goes down whatever, won't be much lost gold) but I am curious if other people will just be doing it one month at a time or what.

Mostly ask because if there are a lot of people just buying multiple months of sub time right now the demand 1 month from now is almost certainly going to be lower than it is now.

Another thing would be if there is a swap market with people buying them now to sell them later despite it being soul bound. Spend 30k now and then get 50k later for 20 bucks.

People buying the tokens would perceivably be doing so to buy good as their primary purpose and they are probably going to be using it. It may mostly just have use as a re-distribution of wealth but at the same time deflation could keep the price in check depending on what people are actually doing with the gold.

You don't need to sit on 30k gold for repairs, for instance.

ZenaxPure

You don't need to sit on 30k gold for repairs, for instance.

Very true, it's incredibly easy to burn through 30k gold in this game. Like fully upgrading a piece of crafted gear is ~20k on my server for the bloods alone, do that 3 times and it adds up. The "cheap" expensive mounts are usually 100k at a minimum, going to need to sell a lot of tokens if you want a single one of those.

I'd bet there are more people buying 2+ tokens than there are buying just 1 single token, at least in the long run. 30k gold isn't going to get you very far if you want the more expensive things in this game.

Oh also looks like the token price actually went down this last hour according to MMOC. I am not near an AH so can't really check myself.

Lashley

Professions are crap for cash right now because they are heavily time gated. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it but you aren't going to be making a ton of gold from it. Honestly you just need to check the prices of things on your server to see what you should take. The 2 servers I play on (one high pop one medium pop) have different enough economies that the professions I take are different. Only thing I'd say for sure is don't take a gathering profession and engineering is probably pretty bad.

Probably do Alchemy and JC. They still decent?

31.2k gold for a game token already. How high is it going to get by the end of the week?

It's likely to continue going up as long as the supply of gold-capped characters are around to buy their next year's worth of sub time.

I thought JC would be in the toilet by now considering how rare socketed gear is and how inexpensive the raw materials are.

ZenaxPure

Alchemy is actually trash right now, forgot about that. Potions/flasks are dirt cheap. They added transmutes this patch but most of the transmute items are similar in price (at least on my server) so you can't really just trasmute one type to another when you take into account you need your time gated item to transmute them. You can make decent gold from transmuting savage bloods (~320g on my server) but it has a daily cooldown.

JC depends, it's kinda crap on my server right now, most gems are going anywhere from 900-1300g which isn't much considering you can only make one gem every few days. It's been more reliable than other professions at least.

Again though you would have to check your own server to see the prices on there.

Lashley

Alchemy is actually trash right now, forgot about that. Potions/flasks are dirt cheap. They added transmutes this patch but most of the transmute items are similar in price (at least on my server) so you can't really just trasmute one type to another when you take into account you need your time gated item to transmute them. You can make decent gold from transmuting savage bloods (~320g on my server) but it has a daily cooldown.

JC depends, it's kinda crap on my server right now, most gems are going anywhere from 900-1300g which isn't much considering you can only make one gem every few days. It's been more reliable than other professions at least.

Again though you would have to check your own server to see the prices on there.
No idea what to pick :(

Just upgraded Garrison to level 2, what do you lot recommend I build first? (medium and small)

ZenaxPure

Down to 29,685 now.

Pretty fascinating to watch. I love reading the comments just from earlier today of people saying that the price would never go down below the 30k. I think some people really underestimate the amount of poor people playing the game.

Actually read a hilarious comment the other day of a guy who was like "How can you be poor? I am running 22 garrison right now and this is the easiest gold I've ever made in WoW."

Pretty fascinating to watch. I love reading the comments just from earlier today of people saying that the price would never go down below the 30k. I think some people really underestimate the amount of poor people playing the game.

Actually read a hilarious comment the other day of a guy who was like "How can you be poor? I am running 22 garrison right now and this is the easiest gold I've ever made in WoW."

Yeah, and I bet he spends at least 2 hours a day just managing those *rolls eyes*

Seriously.

I honestly don't know how much I'd have to spend in hours played/month to sustain ~30k though (and ideally still make a profit). Maybe 30ish? That's still more than I'd want to play right now I think. Doing incursions (raids, essentially) in EVE it takes approximately 7 hours to earn a PLEX. Which is on the high-end potential of money-making. But I'm also running two accounts in EVE, so you have to double that, and then factor in that you actually need money to do things, whereas in WoW gold is mostly inconsequential. Though for the moment I plan to just pay for my main EVE account with real money and only PLEX the alt.

davepoobond

Very true, it's incredibly easy to burn through 30k gold in this game. Like fully upgrading a piece of crafted gear is ~20k on my server for the bloods alone, do that 3 times and it adds up. The "cheap" expensive mounts are usually 100k at a minimum, going to need to sell a lot of tokens if you want a single one of those.

I'd bet there are more people buying 2+ tokens than there are buying just 1 single token, at least in the long run. 30k gold isn't going to get you very far if you want the more expensive things in this game.

Oh also looks like the token price actually went down this last hour according to MMOC. I am not near an AH so can't really check myself.

another interesting aspect is the gold from characters on lapsed subscriptions. they are essentially repatriating funds that were previously unavailable and adds it back into the available gold pool. it could influence more spending/buying as they become actual players.

its like legalizing immigrants, closing tax loopholes, legalizing weed, redistributing wealth, and maybe even welfare all at the same time.

Lomax

So does anyone with an inactive account know if you buy the token directly from the AH, will you be able to retrieve it from the mailbox (since mail is inactive)? I'm far too paranoid to try it myself.

My question is because the main screen makes it sound like that deduction would be instant activation, and I don't want to re-activate my account yet, but I'm guessing the token price will go up over time, so I figured I'd buy one from the AH this week and sit on it if I can. But I don't want to risk not being able to retrieve it.

ZenaxPure

Also, when you say poor, do you mean poor in gold or poor in IRL?

Gold. Tons of poor people in WoW because making gold does take time. I mean yes running more than 1 garrison is easy and plenty free gold but it's time consuming. And I don't really even mean running the garrison itself, just getting a single character to a point where they are making gold with the garrison is time consuming. Leveling a character from level 1, getting T3 buildings, gearing up followers, etc.

Not something a lot of people want to do when they could just focus on one character and have fun.

So does anyone with an inactive account know if you buy the token directly from the AH, will you be able to retrieve it from the mailbox (since mail is inactive)? I'm far too paranoid to try it myself.

My question is because the main screen makes it sound like that deduction would be instant activation, and I don't want to re-activate my account yet, but I'm guessing the token price will go up over time, so I figured I'd buy one from the AH this week and sit on it if I can. But I don't want to risk not being able to retrieve it.

Perhaps if you have a character less than level 20 on the realm which you can log in on. I don't have that option though (11 character slots, lowest is like 35).

Less than 28k now. Not quite falling like a rock, but they're definitely getting lower. ♪How low can it go?♪

Another interesting market this might affect is mid-range pets and mounts, like the Vial of the Sands. I'd also expect more people to be in the market for buying things like challenge mode runs (from gold that they acquired from selling WoW tokens). Lots of potential ripple effects.

Lomax

Perhaps if you have a character less than level 20 on the realm which you can log in on. I don't have that option though (11 character slots, lowest is like 35).

Less than 28k now. Not quite falling like a rock, but they're definitely getting lower. ♪How low can it go?♪

Another interesting market this might affect is mid-range pets and mounts, like the Vial of the Sands. I'd also expect more people to be in the market for buying things like challenge mode runs (from gold that they acquired from selling WoW tokens). Lots of potential ripple effects.

I have a character with enough gold that I can log into (I always kept most of my gold on bank characters) and it gives me the purchase option in the AH. But my concern is that it will either automatically activate like if you bought it from the main screen, or that it will be stuck in the mailbox which the character can't use. I'm sure eventually someone will try it or Blizzard will mention how it works, but for now I don't really want to take the risk. Of course if the price just keeps dropping or it stabilizes around this point, there's no point in me buying now anyway.

ZenaxPure

Lots of potential ripple effects.

I'm not even sure if I would call those ripples as much as the primary reason a lot of people wanted to buy gold in the first place lol.

I do hope this leads them to adding more tokens in the future though. Obviously we can't do anything but guess about the supply/demand but like I said earlier I do wonder if the demand will go down further in a month if people are just buying in bulk now. Adding in some other services into tokens could help with that. I have some characters I'd like to server transfer/race/faction change but I don't want them enough to spend real money since it's just a bunch of random alts. Gold though? Sure why not.

"Well, I got screwed on my BRF cache last cycle, and I'm still using a 645 trinket, but this time, I'll not only have gotten the new ring, but I'll have a mythic cache waiting for me! Sweet!"

*Cache of Blackrock Spoils, Heroic*

>It takes 21 heroic kills for Mythic caches

FML.

Couleurs

Bought 11 tokens when the price dipped down to around 29,000. It's pretty neat to be able to save $165+tax using gold I have no other use for.

I probably should have waited since the price will likely drop a lot more in the future, but oh well.

I'm not even sure if I would call those ripples as much as the primary reason a lot of people wanted to buy gold in the first place lol.

I do hope this leads them to adding more tokens in the future though. Obviously we can't do anything but guess about the supply/demand but like I said earlier I do wonder if the demand will go down further in a month if people are just buying in bulk now. Adding in some other services into tokens could help with that. I have some characters I'd like to server transfer/race/faction change but I don't want them enough to spend real money since it's just a bunch of random alts. Gold though? Sure why not.

I'm sure they'll expand what you can do with it in the future. In EVE you can redeem PLEX for multi-character training (essentially the same as running another account), body resculpt (paid appearance change, albeit more restrictive than what WoW allows you to do), character transfers (account to account, costs 2 though), and Aurum, which is their micro-transaction currency that you can spend on cosmetic things more or less equivalent to the mount/pet store. Oh, and you can buy tickets to fanfest (Blizzcon equivalent) with PLEX. So that could be a thing.

They're down to 26k right now by the way, which is right around my sweet spot. I definitely expect them to go lower though if they've fallen this fast, particularly since I would bet that many gold-rich players bought what they wanted (or the maximum allowed/month, 10 IIRC), today already. Will be curious to see if there's a weekend spike. And I'm definitely interested to see if they spike during Blizzcon when/if a new expansion is announced - PLEX prices always go up at least a little around fanfest if exciting stuff is shown.

Corsick

So the new sound effects and visuals make a huge difference. It's incredible how much more polished the game feels. Just got into the Umbral Halls, I'm really enjoying myself so far. I also really like how they ease you into the abilities when you boost your character to 90. It allows you to naturally learn a few at a time instead of being overwhelmed with all of them at once. Hunter is as fun as I remembered, choosing the right class is kind of stressful when you can only boost once. Glad I made a good choice!

ZenaxPure

Jeez. Really regret not getting one at 31k now.

I imagine if they go too low some people won't see them as a worthy purchase at the time and it could lead to less people buying them which would limit how many are out there which could lead to an increase in price again.

Or maybe the ultra poor don't care and 20k gold is still worth it, I have no idea.

Top Bottom