• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Shahadan

It's a cynical prediction sure, but I don't like most of the talk that's come out regarding the new expansion cycles (smaller, more frequent) and they've explicitly ruled out creating content with the breadth and depth Wrath had. They're intentionally planning for a smaller userbase, even as they witness a precipitous drop over the last six months.

They're just trying to tie off the stump and bleed slower at this point, I suspect.

Precisely my point, and that's the only smart thing to do for them. For us, it sucks, though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I want them to keep losing subs until they're forced to go F2P to get players back.

I currently count as sub because I wasted tokens until mid-2016... yet i haven't played since at least April or May.

Wulfric

Ouch at those subscription numbers. I suppose it's to be expected when many players have completed most of the content, but the numbers are still jarring from Activision's point of view. That's probably why they are pushing for getting more expacs out the door sooner.

You can count me in the lapsed subscriber group once the fall semester starts. The expac is still at least a year away and I'll be too busy as it is. :(

I'm glad the subs have dropped so low, sends them a clear message.

The game is shit right now and they're doing nothing about it.

Tenebrous

Patch 7.0 Notes:

- Every Auction House NPC is now replaced with Black Market AH vendors.
- Character Transfers and Race Changes can now be bought with WoW Tokens.

This needs to happen.

1.5 tokens for a race change, 2 tokens for a transfer, 3 tokens to buy the new expansion, 4 tokens to buy LotV.

Do it!

I'm glad the subs have dropped so low, sends them a clear message.

The game is shit right now and they're doing nothing about it.

Yep.

I've been unsubscribed since somewhere before 6.0 and I doubt I'll even come back for the new expansion barring some sort of miracle announcement.

If WoD is the future of WoW, it can die.

Shahadan

I just hope that as subs go lower and lower, and they're not afraid to lose people anymore, they'll try new things.

For example, the whole "dump a whole continent at once with a raid or two, and another three months later with mayyybe a dungeon or two in between" seems horribly dated and ineffective to me. We breeze through it fast and then moan that we're bored. The whole formula doesn't really work anymore I think.
Maybe they could try new things someday.

Health of adds for the encounter have been reduced by roughly 20% for raid groups with 10 players on Normal and Heroic difficulty. This should help with the difficulty experienced by smaller raid groups losing their DPS when sending players down into the death phase. The health of adds scales back up and should be remain roughly unchanged from before as raid group size increases.

Just noticed this patch note. Thank fuck, sometimes we roll with 11 and god damn if handling adds while people are in Kilrogg's eye doesn't get near-impossible.

Zelias

Banned
dat sub loss

Hopefully it's the kick up the ass they need to not make the next expac the disaster WoD has been.

EmiPrime

If WoW were to go F2P, get ready for Tier sets and stuff getting added to the in-game store.

No they wouldn't go that far but if WoW did go F2P they would put the nice unique looking mounts and pets on the in-game store and only allow players to earn in-game multiple reskins of boars and wolves and pets that are scaled down models of existing mobs. Maybe allow players to purchase gold too.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
No they wouldn't go that far but if WoW did go F2P they would put the nice unique looking mounts and pets on the in-game store and only allow players to earn in-game multiple reskins of boars and wolves and pets that are scaled down models of existing mobs. Maybe allow players to purchase gold too.

Am i missing some kind of joke here? I mean the game is already doing that.

Sarcasm is so hard to detect sometimes lol.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Sarcasm is so hard to detect sometimes lol.

the joke is you have to pay a subscription still for all of the free 2 play stuff

more plainly: its not "free to play" but everything that is associated with "free to play" is already in the game.

Tenebrous

thatsthejoke.jpg

ZenaxPure

I'm a pretty big fan of Blizzard's work (they're my #1 developer historically), but honestly, I'm glad they're failing right now. WoD is fucking terrible, and they need to know they can't get away with treating their consumers like cashcows.

Respect to all those that are no longer paying to play.

If anything seeing those sub numbers actually gives me a sense of relief. I'd be far more worried if subs were stable, would show that people are completely happy with being fed dog shit.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If anything seeing those sub numbers actually gives me a sense of relief. I'd be far more worried if subs were stable, would show that people are completely happy with being fed dog shit.

How many teams do they have developing for WoW? If they had 2 teams on a biyearly schedule then it seems like the teams are

Vanilla->Lich King->Pandaria
Burning Crusade->Cata->WoD

The second team made 2 duds in a row, as far as i'm concerned. that would mean the next one is probably going to be great.

Jag

Hopefully it's the kick up the ass they need to not make the next expac the disaster WoD has been.

I'm guessing the next expac was planned out and programmed way before this. Of course they know what their subs are on a daily basis. I'm sure every day ended with a call or email with the "daily sub count".

ZenaxPure

The second team made 2 duds in a row, as far as i'm concerned. that would mean the next one is probably going to be great.

I don't really think they work that way, the only time I remember them mentioning multiple teams was in MoP when they said they had a team working on the next big patch (5.2, 5.4) and then a team working on the small patches (5.1, 5.3).

Oh also my favorite comment from the reddit post about the sub losses:

Woah Blizzard was serious about this time travel thing, they even brought back the vanilla numbers!

So many people in gaming side WoW thread that don't necessarily know what they're talking about. But that's how it has always been. When you get people that played for 3 months 5 years ago coming out of the woodwork like moths to a flame to sub numbers threads.

But yeah, Blizz fucked up bad with WoD. A lot riding on the next expac for a lot of players.

Robin64

More developers are working on World of Warcraft than ever before.
The Warcraft movie is a chance to expose Warcraft's lore to new audiences and increase interest in World of Warcraft overall.
The subscriber count was down in the east, in part due to Diablo 3 release.
Patch 6.2 helped to stabilize the subscriber count in the last few weeks of the quarter.
Blizzard has been listening to players experiences during Warlords of Draenor and thinks players will be excited by the announcement this week

Hmmmm......

Fjordson

I'm starting to get really excited about the xpac reveal. Are there any believable leaks out? I haven't been keeping up much with news.

So many people in gaming side WoW thread that don't necessarily know what they're talking about. But that's how it has always been. When you get people that played for 3 months 5 years ago coming out of the woodwork like moths to a flame to sub numbers threads.

But yeah, Blizz fucked up bad with WoD. A lot riding on the next expac for a lot of players.
Yeah. WoW threads on gaming side often get ugly :lol

Tenebrous

I don't really give a shit how many developers they have. They were saying the same thing before WoD, and that ended up with the least amount of expansion content ever.

Robin64

I don't really give a shit how many developers they have. They were saying the same thing before WoD, and that ended up with the least amount of expansion content ever.

I still have hope that that's because they were all putting their time in this next one, with a minimal staff working on WoD. Guess we'll see.

iirate

I'm starting to get really excited about the xpac reveal. Are there any believable leaks out? I haven't been keeping up much with news.

There are too many believable leaks for them all to be true, but one of the leaks was posted by someone who leaked WoD info as well. I think it mentions a new warchief, possible Sylvanas boss, Demon Hunters, and quite a few other things, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was mixing details up with other "leaks".

Tenebrous

There are too many believable leaks for them all to be true, but one of the leaks was posted by someone who leaked WoD info as well. I think it mentions a new warchief, possible Sylvanas boss, Demon Hunters, and quite a few other things, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was mixing details up with other "leaks".

Fuck that, unless there's a chance to side with her... WoW needs something like that. A faction split or something truly something massive.

Ashodin

I think whatever this new expansion is it needs to be compelling enough gameplay wise and not banking on Orc nostalgia

Jag

From WoW Head:
In the Q2 slide presentation, Fury of Hellfire was credited was stabilizing the subscriber base in the last few weeks of the quarter. Patch 6.2.1 was also mentioned as a draw for players due to the addition of Flying, as well as PvP mercenary mode.

Is there flying in this game?!??

ZenaxPure

Hmmmm......

I hope what that means is we are going to learn about some of their actual gameplay plans for the next expansion. A new xpac announcement is fine and dandy but what they need right now is a good ol' fashioned Power Point presentation with a bunch of bullet points on how they plan to fix the huge list of problems WoD has.

ampere

Purely anecdotally of course, but I haven't seen anyone react to PvP Mercenary Mode in a positive way.

I think it's a good idea. It just exists to lower queue times due to faction imbalance

I don't really give a shit about horde/alliance

Purely anecdotally of course, but I haven't seen anyone react to PvP Mercenary Mode in a positive way.

Probably because it only affects casual PvP play, something that was decimated at the start of the expansion and is likely never coming back. The idea itself is a very good one.

Ashodin

I also echo the sentiment of removing factions. The Burning Legion is too great now so we need to band together!!!

Lanrutcon

I also echo the sentiment of removing factions. The Burning Legion is too great now so we need to band together!!!

Oh please. The world has faced worse and we still threw our feces at each other while everything was burning.

My vote would be: put in a class switching system like FF:ARR has.

Tenebrous

Another temporary alliance would be something I could get on board, but I'd like it to be one formed & held together by a third playable faction. As much as I love HvA, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to live my life as a Cenarion Druid sometimes. Your typical true neutral druid-esque faction.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just went to to do tanaan dailies for the first time in a week or two and immediately proceeded to get camped by a human ret pally

alt-f4, no warcraft tonight.

Top Bottom