• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Sölf

Jesus Christ, one day between a 4th and a 5th.

Yeah, I am probably lucky with legendaries. Doesn't mean shit for the meaningful part like mounts. Friend of mine got both Nightbane and Midnight in a single Kara run last week. >_>

So, we killed 6 bosses in the first week in normal Nighthold. Could maybe have been more, but our 6th boss was Botanist and, oh boy, that is a clusterfuck of a battle. I love it. So 6/10 normal now, Spellblade and Botanist being the only somewhat hard ones so far.

v1perz53

Sölf;228959215 said:
Yeah, I am probably lucky with legendaries. Doesn't mean shit for the meaningful part like mounts. Friend of mine got both Nightbane and Midnight in a single Kara run last week. >_>

So, we killed 6 bosses in the first week in normal Nighthold. Could maybe have been more, but our 6th boss was Botanist and, oh boy, that is a clusterfuck of a battle. I love it. So 6/10 normal now, Spellblade and Botanist being the only somewhat hard ones so far.

I think the majority of people would argue that being lucky with legendaries is far more meaningful than being lucky with mounts! Anyway, you could just be like me and be lucky with neither.

Sölf

I think the majority of people would argue that being lucky with legendaries is far more meaningful than being lucky with mounts! Anyway, you could just be like me and be lucky with neither.

The difference between these two is that while legendaries make me stronger, they aren't worth anything in the next expansion. Mounts, Pets, Titles, etc. are there forever though, so much better in the long run.

So, yeah, I would actually like to get more of those instead of gear.

Milennia

I would trade all of my rare mounts and I have most of them, for all of my spec specific legendaries.

Literally 0 hesitation whatsoever.

Milennia

You'll probably regret it once they become outdated next expansion lol.

Not even a little bit, I value my time grinding and raid progress and performance more than a mount any day.

I'll rebuy a spectral tiger or something off the Bmah and call it a day after that.

Saves me infinite time and frustration.

Sölf

I wanna know what it feels like to have 2 BIS legendaries but that will never happen.

Considering my very first was Sephuz back when it was, well, bad and then getting Prydaz which also wasn't that great before (and still is not because it's defensive) and THEN get the DK cloak which is also defensive for all speccs... well, that also sucked balls.

v1perz53

I dunno, I guess I like the moment to moment gameplay of playing this game more than having things in it, so things that make the game better in the short term don't lose anything by being less valuable in the long term. That's like saying there's no point in getting good food, because it is gone once you eat it. Mounts and titles are cool for a second, but they don't actually change a single aspect of how fun the game is to play in my moment to moment gameplay, which BiS legendaries definitely do. Honestly, most of the fun of mounts/titles for me is being excited that I finally got them, I don't even use most of them once I get them.

I totally get that people like stuff like mounts/titles, but personally I get much more out of anything that increases player power, even if it only lasts a month or so.

Tubie

Finally got my 5th legendary; Kil'jaeden's Burning Wish, with 22 days played at 110 (2 months in between the 4th and 5th tho).

As shadow I was hoping for shoulders or bracers, but I think this trinket is still an upgrade over what I'm replacing since it's at ilvl 940.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just did a +16 Vault of the Wardens for the 900 item tomorrow. Final time, 1:47:33.

Pretty sure I exhaled my soul after we finished it.

We wanted to do a 15 on our alts yesterday.

Ended up having had to re-do Halls 14 twice to get it under the timer and 15 DHT was about 50 minutes over the timer.

Pro tip: doing a 15 on all alts is a bad idea.

Milennia

Ended up having had to re-do Halls 14 twice to get it under the timer and 15 DHT was about 50 minutes over the timer.

Depends on the alts:p did 4 15s this week on my dudes

Strimei

God, I hate mythic Helya. Just such a pain, at least for me.

That damn bellows especially. We're doing our first mythic+10 and just painful.

We're all dead but our tank who's soloing her, heh.

Einchy

Depends on the alts:p did 4 15s this week on my dudes

Well, yeah, that goes without saying.

Only my alt was well geared while everyone was super undergeared and our healer just started healing last week.

Oh yeah and we didn't have a bres, so our comp and the gear level was all around pretty shit.

PatzCU

How do you re-do a run to get under the timer? Are you saying that your group just burned multiple keys or can you actually start over without using a new key?

Einchy

How do you re-do a run to get under the timer? Are you saying that your group just burned multiple keys or can you actually start over without using a new key?

Yeah, if you fail the timer, you can re-do the run and if you beat the timer, you get a new key. The only thing is that you won't get any chests the second time around.

Corpekata

Banned
Call of the Scarab was pretty good for xp on my alt monk. Got a few levels in the 90s just by running the old raids + the 4 templars.

Didn't know at the time though there were also big xp rewards for killing dukes and council members. Required like 1000 abyssal crests but in a raid group plus everyone handing crests to 1 person, was able to get from 103-105 in like half an hour, just before it ended. Wish I had known about that aspect earlier, would have run some more alts through it.

Apparently the meat trader also offered a lot of XP but was nerfed in a hotfix.

Having a lot of fun with my monk. Think he's going to be my melee dps for the xpac.

Strimei

God, I hate mythic Helya. Just such a pain, at least for me.

That damn bellows especially. We're doing our first mythic+10 and just painful.

We're all dead but our tank who's soloing her, heh.

Took us almost two hours but we downed that squid-hag.

Man we likely woke up people with all our cheering.

Moff

Are there no plans to let us wear 3 legendaries? I am suprised to see one of the new class hall upgrades is to increase the follower limit. Is anyone interested in that?

v1perz53

Its a little irritating that the legendary upgrade items aren't a currency and don't roll over. I'm currently sitting at 42/50, which means if I pick up my order chest (and my sweet 900 ilvl loot from the mythic +15) tomorrow I'm effectively wasting 7 of the 15 I would get. But I don't think I'll have time to pug NH this week, so to not waste any I would have to spend ~4 days doing emissaries daily (more if unlucky) just to be able to open my weekly cache. Won't be an issue for long, but kind of annoying for now and seems like a bit of an oversight, should've just made it a currency.

Didn't manage to down Heroic Gul'dan this week, but was getting deep into P3 which isn't that difficult. Just a matter of executing the earlier parts without losing people. The lasers in P1 are brutal when they're everywhere + the giant laser + 3 adds that may or may not want to move. Being melee sucks at that point :/

Elisande Heroic only took like 5 pulls, lol.

mclem

Are there no plans to let us wear 3 legendaries? I am suprised to see one of the new class hall upgrades is to increase the follower limit. Is anyone interested in that?

I assume the current cap is to make sure that no-one feels that the drops they've had denies them from having two legendaries along with their 4-set bonus; if, say, I had the legendary chest, helm and legs, I'd then be blocked from getting the four-set bonus.

I suspect we may see seven-piece tier in the next raid if they are considering 3 legendaries to allow for that.

TheYanger

The pet tournament got super annoying after a while and your comment about using the same strategy very much applies there as well

Kazaak and Ordos and the Celestial World Bosses are functionally the same

The pvp was a gimmick that just resulted in grinding

The buffs were too good and basically required to do any of the solo content, Tanaan has buffs too but they are more flexible and not required, which is better

The Tanaan factions at least provided some options for grinding or long term questing whereas the Isle faction was nothing but endless tedious grinding

The rare spawns in Tanaan are once per day which is infinitely superior. There's still rares on the Isle I've never killed because you have to camp them.

Apexis crystals were useful far longer than coins were

Tanaan has chest spawns and things you can find randomly forever while Timeless Isle chests are purely one time per character

Yes, Tanaan had shitty terrain and aesthetic, but the gameplay design is basically a direct improvement to everything from Timeless Isle. "Make your own fun" rare grinding for a tiny drop chance for toy or pet number 50 wasn't good design. Tanaan was much closer to the world quest setup we have now.

Timeless Isle was *maybe* better for people who wanted to literally be on the island farming and grinding all day every day. But for any sort of reasonable playstyle Tanaan is an improvement.

Note, I'm just comparing Timeless Isle and Tanaan design in a bubble, obviously WoD had a myriad of issues and Tanaan suffered in that context.

And besides, we know that Legion content is just going to be a further extension of the world quest system.

Timeless was miles better than Tanaan.

Timeless Isle and Tanaan both represented the single final outdoor activity for a nearly year long drought, you can't look at them 'in a bubble' and ignore that. timeless isle literally had shit to do that would take you the rest of the expansion at a casual rate, and it had people DOING that stuff the entire time because of it. It created its own little ecosystem and it was entertaining.

You say hte pvp was a chore. Why? It was pretty awesome 90% of the time. You absolutely did not 'need' any buff to do anything on timeless, they were just convenient. Similarly, the slower rare spawn rate directly led to a better community feeling there - a good rare would spawn and everyone would flock to it, you could actually count on seeing the regulars any time something cool was coming up. Along those lines, the rewards there actually felt cool and meaningful, instead of a bunch of random 100% drop shit that everyone had after the first day which then became worthless. You could get a cool pet drop like the Ruby Droplet and go "Oh nice!" and keep it and feel cool, or trade it, or sell it on the AH. You had awesome items like the fucking falling star that let you rocket around the world as a meteor. You had reasonable little minigames like the crane falling coin collection and the trivia daily game. The different areas of the zone served distinct purposes and had tiers of difficulty, instead of just a mishmash of 'here's the fel orc part' and 'here's where the beasts are' but they all feel exactly the same.

Tanaan might as well have been exhausted of content the first day for how meaningful any of it felt. It took all of the goodwill they earned with timeless isle and squandered it by losing the plot of what was actually fun about timeless isle. You're right, you couldn't finish Timeless in a week. Good thing we didn't have a week of the expansion left.

Also it seems ridiculous to bitch about the pet battle part, that shit was beyond optional, as far as pet battle content goes it was the best in the game at that point, and it's certainly not relevant to how cool the isle itself is.

Summation: The Timeless Isle is actually the single best piece of outdoor repeatable content they've ever made in wow. Still. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent there, and I STILL need a crab pet to drop before I'm done.

Lomax

Timeless was miles better than Tanaan.

Timeless Isle and Tanaan both represented the single final outdoor activity for a nearly year long drought, you can't look at them 'in a bubble' and ignore that. timeless isle literally had shit to do that would take you the rest of the expansion at a casual rate, and it had people DOING that stuff the entire time because of it. It created its own little ecosystem and it was entertaining.

You say hte pvp was a chore. Why? It was pretty awesome 90% of the time. You absolutely did not 'need' any buff to do anything on timeless, they were just convenient. Similarly, the slower rare spawn rate directly led to a better community feeling there - a good rare would spawn and everyone would flock to it, you could actually count on seeing the regulars any time something cool was coming up. Along those lines, the rewards there actually felt cool and meaningful, instead of a bunch of random 100% drop shit that everyone had after the first day which then became worthless. You could get a cool pet drop like the Ruby Droplet and go "Oh nice!" and keep it and feel cool, or trade it, or sell it on the AH. You had awesome items like the fucking falling star that let you rocket around the world as a meteor. You had reasonable little minigames like the crane falling coin collection and the trivia daily game. The different areas of the zone served distinct purposes and had tiers of difficulty, instead of just a mishmash of 'here's the fel orc part' and 'here's where the beasts are' but they all feel exactly the same.

Tanaan might as well have been exhausted of content the first day for how meaningful any of it felt. It took all of the goodwill they earned with timeless isle and squandered it by losing the plot of what was actually fun about timeless isle. You're right, you couldn't finish Timeless in a week. Good thing we didn't have a week of the expansion left.

Also it seems ridiculous to bitch about the pet battle part, that shit was beyond optional, as far as pet battle content goes it was the best in the game at that point, and it's certainly not relevant to how cool the isle itself is.

Summation: The Timeless Isle is actually the single best piece of outdoor repeatable content they've ever made in wow. Still. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent there, and I STILL need a crab pet to drop before I'm done.

That's a valid argument, but you have to understand that your argument of "fun" consists of having endless tedious grinding as an option. And if that's what you want, so be it, but I don't think most people consider that "good design." Tanaan has its share of tedious grinds and rare drops too, but they tend to be limited to once per day, which is better for *most* players. Even you haven't finished the timeless isle drop achievement, and that's insane. Maybe Tanaan swung too far in the other direction, but at this point in the game's development, the last thing it needs is more endless grinds, very very few people have come even close to doing all the ones that already exist. If most people didn't finish timeless isle why should they do a new version, it's not like timeless isle has gone anywhere.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have a hard time articulating exactly why Timeless was better than Tanaan, but it just was. It felt more fun to be there than it felt to be in Tanaan. Part of it I'm sure is how Tanaan was so theme-parky. It was less a single zone than a collection of like a dozen sub-zones that each has a very specific design/purpose. There was no room to breathe, if that makes sense.

Mupod

Has anyone else noticed that they re-enabled the engineering orb that shuts down those big robot mobs in Court of Stars? We hadn't seen it in months but it showed up last week in one of our runs.

Sölf;228986105 said:
Man, I need to do more pet battles. I would love stuff like this, but I have so few level 25 pets that I will probably die horribly in there.

We try our first +13 Mythic today. Halls of Valor. Raging, Necrotic, Fortified. Send help.

I dunno if I hate that one or Teeming Necrotic Tyrannical more. Depends on the dungeon I guess. some bosses barely bother applying Necrotic but any boss that summons adds is ridiculous. I tank as Blood in 5-man stuff and I can generally deal with Necrotic except on fuckers like the first boss of Eye of Azshara or the second one in Vault.

Raging/Fortified is definitely the 'not setting foot in Halls or Vault this week' combo. Although if you do run Raging/Fortified in Halls of Valor, don't fuck with those deer. You will regret it.

Looks like NA this week is Teeming Skittish Fortified, rip in piece cat druids.

v1perz53

Has anyone else noticed that they re-enabled the engineering orb that shuts down those big robot mobs in Court of Stars? We hadn't seen it in months but it showed up last week in one of our runs.

I dunno if I hate that one or Teeming Necrotic Tyrannical more. Depends on the dungeon I guess. some bosses barely bother applying Necrotic but any boss that summons adds is ridiculous. I tank as Blood in 5-man stuff and I can generally deal with Necrotic except on fuckers like the first boss of Eye of Azshara or the second one in Vault.

Raging/Fortified is definitely the 'not setting foot in Halls or Vault this week' combo. Although if you do run Raging/Fortified in Halls of Valor, don't fuck with those deer. You will regret it.

We did our first CoS in like 3-4 weeks last week, just by random chance as we haven't gotten many stones for it, but I haven't ever seen the engineering orb, and I always check for it. Would be nice if it is back, since we have multiple 800 engineers in our group (unlike 800 cooks/pandaren).

I find my most hated Necrotic/Tyrannical boss is first boss HoV as a guardian druid. That fucker has no natural stack drop point, he has a tiny arena made smaller by the lightning, and he moves SO FAST when someone else tries to taunt for me to drop stacks, that often I don't get a drop. Plus they took away my cat blink as Guardian so it is even harder to drop now.

And WW monks will be joining the cat druids this week in a corpse pile for Teeming/Skittish/Fortified! God I fucking hate skittish...

v1perz53

Apologies for the double post, but I just need to vent a bit. I've always been a minor apologist for this legendary system, where I personally haven't minded it too much though I can see the issues with it. But I just did a quick calculation, and it has been 10 WEEKS since I got my 2nd legendary. I don't raid, sure, but I've done my emissary quest every day except for like a 3 week period before NH released (to avoid getting a 910 legendary), I've done LFR every week fully through, I've cleared a mythic +12 minimum every week since then, as well as a Kara full clear with some scattered additional mythic+ runs.

And yet no third legendary. I could almost understand if it was my 5th or so. But third? Insult to injury is that my first two are technically "bad" legendaries, I just want something else I can use over this damn Cinidaria basically useless for tanks belt, for fucks sake.

Oh, I just realized that I also have three 110 alts, none of which have a legendary either. Man my luck is so good...

Apologies for the double post, but I just need to vent a bit. I've always been a minor apologist for this legendary system, where I personally haven't minded it too much though I can see the issues with it. But I just did a quick calculation, and it has been 10 WEEKS since I got my 2nd legendary. I don't raid, sure, but I've done my emissary quest every day except for like a 3 week period before NH released (to avoid getting a 910 legendary), I've done LFR every week fully through, I've cleared a mythic +12 minimum every week since then, as well as a Kara full clear with some scattered additional mythic+ runs.

And yet no third legendary. I could almost understand if it was my 5th or so. But third?q Insult to injury is that my first two are technically "bad" legendaries, I just want something else I can use over this damn Cinidaria basically useless for tanks belt, for fucks sake.

Oh, I just realized that I also have three 110 alts, none of which have a legendary either. Man my luck is so good...

Rng is rng. I got my 3rd legendary...4 weeks after you? Difference is I do normal raid instead of lfr, and try to do my chests daily.(missed a few times).

If it makes you feel better Ive just gotten utility legendaries.

Third legendary dropped from an emissary chest: Promise of Elune, the Moon Goddess. Not the best but the increased survivability from it will help. The time between the second one and this was shorter than the time between the first and second.

Edit:

And yet no third legendary. I could almost understand if it was my 5th or so. But third? Insult to injury is that my first two are technically "bad" legendaries, I just want something else I can use over this damn Cinidaria basically useless for tanks belt, for fucks sake.

Now I feel bad about my post, lol. I'm sorry about your luck. :-(

Panthers

I'm in the same boat. 2 legendaries, both horrible. Been raiding every week as well as a lot of the other stuff.

v1perz53

Rng is rng. I got my 3rd legendary...4 weeks after you? Difference is I do normal raid instead of lfr, and try to do my chests daily.(missed a few times).

If it makes you feel better Ive just gotten utility legendaries.

Its true, but aint it a bitch. I've done 32 mythic+ runs in the past two weeks (tracking the hidden appearance unlock) and these two weeks have been a bit slow. So I would conservatively estimate that I've done over 200 mythic+ runs in the 10 weeks since my 2nd legendary dropped, and I STILL don't have a 3rd. 200 Mythic+ runs, 10 full Kara clears, ~200 LFR boss kills, ~50 emissary caches, ~12 world boss kills, a handful of heroic dungeons, 7 Bling 6k boxes. That is too many things to not get a legendary.

And RNG is RNG, but honestly if legendaries were just implemented in a non-idiotic way initially, RNG would stop being a factor at some point. Should have always just been an incrementing counter that increases the drop chance for every failed attempt, eventually leading to a 100% drop chance. And for the 2nd legendary, almost 500 attempts at getting one should be more than enough to increment bad luck to 100% drop chance.

There's evidence that it is harder to get legendaries the more you get, but even if that wasn't the case 10 weeks to get a legendary with 10 legendaries means my main would take two years to finish off all drops for only one spec. Mildly frustrating.

Anyway, thats enough raging for me, I just felt a bit shafted given that I really thought this would be my reset to finally get my 3rd drop, and after opening my weekly chest, emissary for the day, world boss, bling 6k and doing all available LFR it still didn't happen, and that was a bummer.

Meanwhile my alt bear has Dual Determination and Elize with less than 5 days played at 110. Super great system, right? I've obviously done a lot to deserve it.

The RNG is such bullshit. Ardent defense of the legendary system is something I can't understand. I can understand apathy or like you you put it being a "minor apologist." But as somebody who has largely been on the good side of the RNG here on all my characters, it's a complete misstep of a design.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
man all yall with 5 legs fuck u

im at like 23+ days at 110 with 3 legs, 0 dps legs lmao

poor freakinchair tho he's got the same amount of playtime but only 2 legs -- altho he did get bis mage bracers week 2 so fuck him too xD

m_dorian

I ve 5 110 toons, 4 of them have two legendaries. My 5th is a new 110 so she ll have to wait her turn.
Funny thing is that i got the two of them just yesterday, both from emissary chests, on different toons, only minutes away.
I am expecting to have the same kind of luck in let's say 20 years.

Mupod

I got a weird ass simultaneous double legendary drop (from mythic caches) early on, then again a while later I got two within a few days. After that it took me almost exactly two months to get #5. I raid, do Karazhan, emissaries every day, and have done a LOT of high level mythic+ so I don't think it's odd to have that many.

I'm always wondering if my strange legendary luck is related to the fact that I change loot spec nonstop. My double drop was as Unholy and I've long since left that spec behind, but I spend equal time in blood/frost depending on the boss. Here's hoping my pattern of double drops holds and I get another one in the next few days. Although I'm in good shape for Frost legendaries (Belt/Ring) and I should start focusing on Blood now.

Sölf

We finished +13 Halls in roughly an hour. We died and wiped the most on that stupid dragon and the 6 pull. Aside from that, a few deaths here and there aside, we only wiped on the 2 kings before Skovald, they are suprisingly tough. Instant double Dagger = 2,4+ million damage. Totally not OP or anything, and that's still without raging.

v1perz53

Blah, I guess it is cool starting higher with our Mythic+ stones, but clearing a +15 starts you with an 11 stone, which kind of sucks. We were pretty proficient at 3 chesting our 9s to get straight to 12, but I'm pretty doubtful we can 3 chest an 11, so now we have to do 11 - 13 - 14 - 15 instead of 9 - 12 - 14 - 15, the former of which seems a bit more annoying. I'll also definitely miss having a nice first run of the week without Tyrannical or Fortified, not a huge fan of the 3rd affixes, they are kind of lame and just serve as annoyances.

What can you do, mild irritation to put up with in order to get 900 gear each week!

Sölf;229023137 said:
We finished +13 Halls in roughly an hour. We died and wiped the most on that stupid dragon and the 6 pull. Aside from that, a few deaths here and there aside, we only wiped on the 2 kings before Skovald, they are suprisingly tough. Instant double Dagger = 2,4+ million damage. Totally not OP or anything, and that's still without raging.

lv6O7jX.jpg

This is the stone I started with this week... Needless to say we won't be starting with my stone this week...

Top Bottom