• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Damn, Spellblade seems a bit TOO hard compared to the other three. Seems a bit early to have a roadblock.

mclem

Infinite Timereaver Get!

(I don't have many random-drop mounts, actually, I'm not generally inclined to deliberately farm them. I've no real frame of reference how rare this is)

Damn, Spellblade seems a bit TOO hard compared to the other three. Seems a bit early to have a roadblock.

It's not a required order, though. Is no-one trying one other boss just to get a leg up?

Okay, back with a few more questions:
-First, I've kinda been rushing through quests to catch up with my partner in level, could someone give me a rundown on the Draenei story and what's going on/what I need to know from the beginning to level 20ish I guess

-How do dungeons work

-how do I go about getting a mount at level 20

-What are important story things I should start looking out for.

Also also:

How am I "supposed" to play the warrior since this far I've kinda just been button mashing.

I know I'm late to the rng discussion that happened earlier, but I would rather have deterministic means of acquiring legendaries and hidden artifact appearances over the strictly rng bullshit they have now for legendaries and certain artifact appearances. I would rather have some long protracted questline, like the WoD legendary ring, to acquire a legendary or artifact appearance versus hoping something might drop off of some random thing like a WQ rare, Emissary cache, or random Mythic+ dungeon boss. Or hoping a dice roll will happen to make the Burning Plate of the Worldbreaker to appear. The complete rng aspects of Legion are not fun.

I can't be the only one still accidentally clicking on Draenor first on the world map right?

I park my mage in my garrison before I log out every day, just so when I log in I can do my garrison chores. Hexweave Bags ain't gonna make themselves.

-First, I've kinda been rushing through quests to catch up with my partner in level, could someone give me a rundown on the Draenei story and what's going on/what I need to know from the beginning to level 20ish I guess

-How do dungeons work

Also also:

How am I "supposed" to play the warrior since this far I've kinda just been button mashing.

Hit 15 and the queue unlocks. Press i to bring up the dungeon finder, select your role (so dps or tank since you're a warrior) and queue. A ready up window will appear and you will be transported to the dungeon no matter where you are. Just roll through the dungeon speed murdering things since everyone else will likely be geared with heirlooms (fast leveling gear with enhanced stats, and exp boost bonuses).

A quest will appear once you hit twenty telling you where to go to learn lvl 20 riding and buy a mount. Where you go depends on your race/faction.

There are no over-arching plot elements to worry about in legacy content, each zone is mostly a self-contained story. Although Westfall sort of wraps up with the Dead Mines dungeon.

If you want to learn about playing your class/spec, there are a couple of resources available...

http://www.wowhead.com/guides/new-players/warrior/leveling

wowhead and icyveins are pretty good resources.

Never forget: that stupid giant boss in Eye of Azshara dropped my Sephuz.

Fuck that guy.

In other news:

Anyone find it interesting that Gul'dan drops an actual specific tier piece? Coming at the end of a full 10-boss instance. I mean yeah there's more tier pieces to choose from this raid (legs are a required one for me though), but still. Archimonde had tier trinkets sure, but plenty of specs didn't even use them as their BiS. Blackhand dropped tokens that could be used for any piece in the set. Highmaul and EN didn't contain tier. Garrosh dropped tokens again IIRC. Not sure what Lei Shen had off the top of my head.

Can't remember what the cases were in Cata right now. Though I know Wrath and BC did have pieces dropping off the last boss.

It just seems like it's been so long since they've done that. I mean the "highlight" trinket doesn't even come off Gul'dan, but Elisande (talking CoF). Though that usually seems to be the case.

But yeah, tier legs off last boss - when was the last time they did that?

Also no apparent skip mechanic (unless the neck quest is one and I didn't realize it?) We've had one in every raid since BRF.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Did they somehow boost the chances of getting Curious Coins? My fresh lvl 110 got like 3 of them from emissary rewards... more then all my 4 other alts combined that i lvled last year.

Strimei

Did they somehow boost the chances of getting Curious Coins? My fresh lvl 110 got like 3 of them from emissary rewards... more then all my 4 other alts combined that i lvled last year.

Yeah they confirmed they boosted the drop rate. May be able to get that mount finally before the next expansion.

Fjordson

Is there some sort of trick or score limit in Withered Training to getting something worthwhile? Still waiting on the damn fox mount...

All I ever get are rep tokens (useless since I've been exalted for months).

-How do dungeons work

Also also:

-Dungeons you queue up through by pressing "I" and then selecting random(Or specific one). They give you exp and loot that's good for your level.
-Mount you go to either Stormwind or Orgrimmar, find a mount vendor(Talk to guards to show you the direction)
-Story things it depends. You can dig into old expansion stories by simply following questlines, but usually the newer stuff is the easiest to follow you since it'll send you to areas.
-Hmm. I would say picking up professions. Maybe gathering ones to start out. Legion plants sell for a pretty penny.

Lomax

Is there some sort of trick or score limit in Withered Training to getting something worthwhile? Still waiting on the damn fox mount...

All I ever get are rep tokens (useless since I've been exalted for months).

As far as anyone knows, anything above 375 is pointless. I gave up farming it for my artifact appearance. You can get the fox mount quest from emissary caches, that's where I got mine.

Milennia

its not, everyone was doing splits as i mentioned, the 1 guild who did splits before the raid killed it in an hour.

pretty much what should be expected from a gatekeeper boss leading to the choice of 4 others.

Shes the first ilvl bump as well before elisande.

Hugstable

Banned
Just got back into the game after not playing at all since early Cata (played ALOT in Wrath and a good amount during BC). My old account seemed to have gotten hacked to hell and I didn't have an authenticator now (they have an app now! lol) so I just went and created a new account and decided to start from the beginning. Never did any of the Cata redone zones so all this stuff is pretty new to me.

It's crazy how much has changed since I've been gone, from how spec and talent points are, to all the new graphics and UI options. There's now a Reagents tab in the bank! Holy crap that is so useful to finally have a specific place just for my materials. Seems that Looking for Raid seems to be a big thing now, and I've seen some mentioning Mythic Dungeons, which I assume are harder than Heroic dungeons? And wow the zones are so different now, Ashenvale, Stonetalon and Southern Barrens have all had big changes to them so far from what I've seen. Panda Land start was pretty neat too and very beautiful, playing as a Panda Shammy for now and really enjoying Shaman (used to play Holy Paladin, MM Hunter and Fire Mage back in the days). Can't wait to see all the new content after the Cata zones, got 3 whole expansions worth!

woo Dalaran!

US Dalaran Horde here. Filthy alliance! (I have a Human Paladin).
I wanted to be horde too but my girlfriend already had an alliance character and bought a copy of the game for both of us so the least I could do is do what she wanted to do. We're going horde characters next though!

Oh I guess the Nighthold neck quest is a skip/attunement, it's just not clear about it unless you read the text carefully >.> Throwback to the black temple attunement I guess.

The way it's worded sounds like you need everyone in the raid to have it to skip though...

Goes to Elisande apparently by the way.

Epix

Got this today. Not sure how I feel about it yet...I know it was nerfed then slightly buffed. Don't have a feel for where it ended up.

kLBIYkk.png

Can/do mounts drop in dungeons?
Don't really feel like paying for an ugly elephant :/

They do

But they're not always guaranteed~ Some mounts have like a 1-2% chance of dropping. There are some raids that have guaranteed mounts, or you can also buy mounts in the auction house.

Alternatively, you can wear the tabard of a friendly faction(IE The Night Elf capital in Darnassus), get their reputation to exalted(doing quests, killing dungeon enemies gives you reputation) and then buy their mount(Night Elves for example have lions as their mount).

As for buying/making mounts, Tailoring can make carpets you can ride, jewelcrafting can make gem-panthers, and engineering can make flying machines/motorcycles. These alternatives tend to be a bit costly but there's always basic versions that aren't hard to make.

They do

But they're not always guaranteed~ Some mounts have like a 1-2% chance of dropping. There are some raids that have guaranteed mounts, or you can also buy mounts in the auction house.

Alternatively, you can wear the tabard of a friendly faction(IE The Night Elf capital in Darnassus), get their reputation to exalted(doing quests, killing dungeon enemies gives you reputation) and then buy their mount(Night Elves for example have lions as their mount).

As for buying/making mounts, Tailoring can make carpets you can ride, jewelcrafting can make gem-panthers, and engineering can make flying machines/motorcycles. These alternatives tend to be a bit costly but there's always basic versions that aren't hard to make.

I don't care too much about what mount I get, i'd just prefer to have the option to potentially obtain something cooler rather than giving away what little I have for an ugly elephant lol. Gem Panthers sound cool and I've seen some players around my level riding cool mounts like tiger creatures, one was a ground mount that was black and had wings I think I saw a wolf. I wouldn't mind something like that, but good to know that there are other ways nonetheless, that tabard stuff sounds especially helpful.
I think I'll start doing some dungeons or raids tomorrow if that's the case, and if everyone is going to run through everything anyway I guess I don't have anything to worry about in terms of survivability.

I don't care too much about what mount I get, i'd just prefer to have the option to potentially obtain something cooler rather than giving away what little I have for an ugly elephant lol. Gem Panthers sound cool and I've seen some players around my level riding cool mounts like tiger creatures, one was a ground mount that was black and had wings I think I saw a wolf. I wouldn't mind something like that, but good to know that there are other ways nonetheless, that tabard stuff sounds especially helpful.
I think I'll start doing some dungeons or raids tomorrow if that's the case, and if everyone is going to run through everything anyway I guess I don't have anything to worry about in terms of survivability.

Early on you can definitely run through dungeons, and raids don't plan on doing them until later on lol. Once you hit 80/85 you can solo level 60-70 raids, once you hit 90, level 80 raids become easier, and at 110 you can solo most of the content up to draenor xpac.

Early on you can definitely run through dungeons, and raids don't plan on doing them until later on lol. Once you hit 80/85 you can solo level 60-70 raids, once you hit 90, level 80 raids become easier, and at 110 you can solo most of the content up to draenor xpac.
I was checking my content page and it suggested me a few, I figured they were low level raids no? Unless they've got complex mechanics and whatnot.

Corpekata

Banned
Low level raids typically are hard to find people for since it's so easy to blow past their relevance experience and gear wise. It's typically people hunting specific apperance drops or mounts at much higher levels doing them, or coordinated guilds/groups that lock themselves at a certain level to experience the content as it was intended, but they're rare.

The mounts you saw are likely people on their alts, as most mounts are account wide. So I was riding on my rare demonic horse mount on my monk at level 30, while someone with a fresh account is mostly going to be limited to vendor mounts for up until level 60ish minimum most likely.

So, it's not worth doing or just difficult to find people to do it with?
Also are there any things I should know about guilds and picking one? I got invited to a tier 19 guild today but wanted to wait to see what other guilds my girlfriend got invited to and whether or not she wanted to join this one.
What's the significance of tiers
Does GAF have an active Daleran Alliance guild?
Generally what benefits does a guild bring
Etc etc

Can/do mounts drop in dungeons?
Don't really feel like paying for an ugly elephant :/

All of the faction mounts are pretty old and unimpressive.

You can play (or is it win?) three games of Hearthstone to get the Hearthsteed in WoW, a pretty solid looking ground/flying mount. Beyond that you're looking to professions or raids, which are not a thing you should concern yourself with for a good long while as a lvl 20-something warrior.

So, it's not worth doing or just difficult to find people to do it with?
Also are there any things I should know about guilds and picking one? I got invited to a tier 19 guild today but wanted to wait to see what other guilds my girlfriend got invited to and whether or not she wanted to join this one.
What's the significance of tiers
Does GAF have an active Daleran Alliance guild?
Generally what benefits does a guild bring
Etc etc

It's not worth doing at the current level(IE if you're level 60 and it's recommending a level 60, it'd be impossible for you unless you were carried). At level 110 or something, they're super easy to dps. Some bosses have mechanics you have to work around even at high levels, but they become trivial. This is a good way to make money-vendor everything you get.(Transmog items get saved as soon as you pick up something usable.)

Tiers as in, gear tiers? Like Looking for raid(LFR), Normal, Heroic, Mythic? In which case, those are the difficulty modes(LFR being easiest, Mythic being hardest). Gear that's rewarded varies by difficulty, and it denotes this on the gear itself.

Guild brings benefits of people to play with(Dependent on guild people), and you can buy heirlooms(Expensive but expedite levelling), and a few perks(But not as important as before)

It's not worth doing at the current level(IE if you're level 60 and it's recommending a level 60, it'd be impossible for you unless you were carried). At level 110 or something, they're super easy to dps. Some bosses have mechanics you have to work around even at high levels, but they become trivial. This is a good way to make money-vendor everything you get.(Transmog items get saved as soon as you pick up something usable.)

Tiers as in, gear tiers? Like Looking for raid(LFR), Normal, Heroic, Mythic? In which case, those are the difficulty modes(LFR being easiest, Mythic being hardest). Gear that's rewarded varies by difficulty, and it denotes this on the gear itself.

Guild brings benefits of people to play with(Dependent on guild people), and you can buy heirlooms(Expensive but expedite levelling), and a few perks(But not as important as before)
No clue, I just googled the guild I was invited to to see if it was noteworthy and one site had it has a "tier 19 guild" was wondering if that term held any significance.

No clue, I just googled the guild I was invited to to see if it was noteworthy and one site had it has a "tier 19 guild" was wondering if that term held any significance.

Oh

that's the current tier of gear. Basically, over time raids have had 'tiers', IE the very first raids were tier 1, the raids after that tier 2...all the way to tier 19 which is the current tier. It pretty much means that the guild is current with the raids.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, now I have both Draught and Convergence and I kinda really hate both of them. Draught does amazing damage but now it has a GDC, which is annoying as fuck, and Convergence just completely fucks with all my CD usage.

Kinda wish passive trinkets were better than those two...

mclem

Also no apparent skip mechanic (unless the neck quest is one and I didn't realize it?) We've had one in every raid since BRF.

Pretty sure there's a skip quest - I noticed something to collect four widgets from Elisande, and I'm sure that the door to the right of the entrance portal exists for a reason.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
My luck streak on legendaries continues. I picked up the Execute ring and the rage reduction gloves when they were BiS for Arms. Now after Blizzard made the gloves worthless I picked up the legs that apply CS on Heroic Leap. Feels nice to get the class/spec specific legendaires. The timing also had me upgrade both legendary slots to 940 at the same time.

Strimei

New build on the PTR adds two presumably-Shadow Priest only Feats of Strength.

Words of the Old Gods: Odyn's Wrath (New) Listened to Xal'atath and then subsequently slain by Odyn.

For those that don't know, Shadow Priests can be prompted by their knaifu (knife+waifu) Xal'atath to talk to Odyn and ask him about what he thinks now about what Loken said to him long ago. Odyn...doesn't take well to it, to say the least, and smites you.

While you can do it on live right now, you don't get the FoS. Now, what's interesting is the other FoS added in with it. The entity you talk to for it...well:

Words of the Old Gods: Elune's Wrath (New) Listened to Xal'atath and then subsequently slain by Elune.

I look forward to hearing what the knaifu prods us to say...

Top Bottom