• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The number of people who say they'll bail on the game as soon as they're outta tokens...wow...

Is the only reason you're playing that it's free? I easily derive $15 a month of enjoyment outta the game. That's like, lunch out somewhere, or a couple of drinks out. I've never found the sub price that prohibitive for all the joy the game gives me.
I mean...the higher the barrier the less likely people are to play the game. I'm not so tied to WoW that I need to float $150 at it annually just to have access to the game all the time.

And really I'm just not happy with the game at all right now. Mythic+ should be cool, but instead it's one massive joke because the reward system is whacked out and nobody wants to run half the dungeons. The specializations I liked playing are at an all time low when it comes to flexibility or mechanical enjoyment and Blizzard just doesn't care at all.

PvP was a joke on Legion launch and their "fixes" have sent it spiraling out of control. Blizzard is regularly nerfing weak classes and buffing strong classes while the top three remain largely in place. They would have accomplished more if they literally did nothing. It's pathetic.

And what part of the game does that not extend to at this point? Professions are somehow a bigger mess than they were in WoD. Earning gear feels like a nightmarish balancing act with the poorly balanced secondaries, where 30 item level upgrades might not mean anything because one secondary stat can be worth twice as much as another. And that spills over to tier set gear that people feel forced into donning despite the fact that it may provide stats they do not find very beneficial.

Legion should be a turning point for the game to move forward, but instead I'm having less fun than ever and will drop it earlier than I did WoD. Unless someone is invested into raiding very seriously I simply cannot imagine the justification for staying engaged with WoW long term. If you really cannot find something better to do with your time or money that's kind of just sad. Even as it is I'm only engaged with the game as a social platform, but frankly the game is pretty poor at creating a fun or flexible environment for groups of players.

v1perz53

Not what I meant. Just that the mentality of "it's only $15 a month" is weird.

I think you're taking that sentiment the wrong way. I don't think anyone's arguing "its only $15 a month, you should totally keep paying that even if you aren't enjoying the game", but instead are saying "if you're enjoying the game, $15 a month is quite a low price to pay". Even if you play the absolute minimum as a raider, say 6 hours a week, that is 24 hours a month. The number of $60 single player games that offer ~100 hours of content is very small, and honestly the number of $15 games people play for 24 hours is probably very small as well (just in terms of random monetary comparison between games people spend money on). So in terms of price-per-hours proposition, WoW is and always has been really quite cheap, since I'm sure most people who play WoW play for more than 6 hours per week. Sure, some multiplayer games without a subscription give far more hours-per-dollar, but WoW is certainly more economical than most single player experiences and people buy and play those all the time.

The question is, are you enjoying your time? Because I think if WoW isn't worth $15 a month to you, you weren't really enjoying your time very much, and maybe this change is a blessing to allow you to actually do things you would enjoy instead of spending so much time doing something you only kind of tolerate and maybe like a little bit sometimes?

Fjordson

I think you're taking that sentiment the wrong way. I don't think anyone's arguing "its only $15 a month, you should totally keep paying that even if you aren't enjoying the game", but instead are saying "if you're enjoying the game, $15 a month is quite a low price to pay". Even if you play the absolute minimum as a raider, say 6 hours a week, that is 24 hours a month. The number of $60 single player games that offer ~100 hours of content is very small, and honestly the number of $15 games people play for 24 hours is probably very small as well (just in terms of random monetary comparison between games people spend money on). So in terms of price-per-hours proposition, WoW is and always has been really quite cheap, since I'm sure most people who play WoW play for more than 6 hours per week.

The question is, are you enjoying your time? Because I think if WoW isn't worth $15 a month to you, you weren't really enjoying your time very much, and maybe this change is a blessing to allow you to actually do things you would enjoy instead of spending so much time doing something you only kind of tolerate and maybe like a little bit sometimes?
Yeah, WoW is easily one of the cheapest games I've ever played if I take into account the hours I play it lol. I'll play more WoW this month with my $15 than 90% of the $60 games I've bought over the years.

So it looks like fury is on top now over arms at the high end? Cause that kinda sucks for my alt, given that she has the heroic leap pants as her sole legendary :(

Cause if I wanted to have a backup character, warrior is probably the best/easiest to transition to, except maybe a ret paladin. And ret paladin would mean transferring a character off the server to make room.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
yeah fury is better now but arms isn't bad

the problem with arms though is it's very hard to gear for to get anywhere close to fury -- you need that 4 set, need draught, need mastery on all your non-set pieces, need the execute ring (big damage + tactician safety net) + legs

fury is still better when min/maxed, and you can also just "yolo gear" your way there in a manner that arms can't

v1perz53

you can farm the love is in the air mount on every character over level 16 now

you still wont get it.

Yea there was that reddit post where the guy found out about that and he showed his account with his main and 49 druids (I think 50 per account is the max?) at level 16 to farm it (to queue as heal/tank/dps). He still won't get it.

Lomax

I'm still convinced that the love rocket has more restrictions on it than just a low drop rate (like only a specific number drop per event) but of course I don't have any way to prove that.

Nokterian

I tested numerous of things with my mage,fire,frost and arcane. I prefer fire as a lot of other people when you have enough crit the hotstreaks keep 'm coming and pyroblast is sensational.

yeah fury is better now but arms isn't bad

the problem with arms though is it's very hard to gear for to get anywhere close to fury -- you need that 4 set, need draught, need mastery on all your non-set pieces, need the execute ring (big damage + tactician safety net) + legs

fury is still better when min/maxed, and you can also just "yolo gear" your way there in a manner that arms can't

Huh. Well I guess I can just switch to fury going forward since I hardly have anything invested in arms in the first place (I don't think I even had 2nd golden dragon yet.) I'll just pretend my arms pants were a sephuz or something that may as well not exist. At 22 or 23 AK now on her (could be higher but I think I let it sit dormant for a week or something).

Don't know if I'd fully switch, but getting her up to speed as a strong alt might be fun (especially if I get good legendaries). Probably more so than playing my mage.

As much as ranged/casters are needed, I just don't think I'm very good at them. The core loop of primarily casting vs. the instant-hitting abilities of melee isn't as fun for me? I don't know.

Tarazet

I tested numerous of things with my mage,fire,frost and arcane. I prefer fire as a lot of other people when you have enough crit the hotstreaks keep 'm coming and pyroblast is sensational.

Fire is in a really good spot. Spectacular AoE, both burst and sustained, and enough single target to not have to respec between fights. The Legendaries are good but not essential (I have only the Pyroblast bracers at this point). It doesn't exactly feel elegant and polished, but that's not why you play the class. If you want to feel graceful you play Arcane.

Nokterian

Fire is in a really good spot. Spectacular AoE, both burst and sustained, and enough single target to not have to respec between fights. The Legendaries are good but not essential (I have only the Pyroblast bracers at this point). It doesn't exactly feel elegant and polished, but that's not why you play the class. If you want to feel graceful you play Arcane.

Arcane also works nicely yeah but it isn't as fun to me as fire. Frost is better now but yet again it isn't as great as fire.

v1perz53

My god are they stingy with the Valentines Day event drops. Did the dungeon thing on 26 characters (turns out I have a lot of eligible toons just sitting around) and I only got something out of the box on ONE character. Didn't expect 10 rockets to drop, but between the toy, the mask, the pet and the rose I'd expect to do better than 1/26!

v1perz53

So it seems scaling isn't really working so well for healers in the Valentine's Day event, on my lv 90 alts my "flash heal" equivalent was healing for ~2-3% of player's HP. So if you do it on alt healers I guess hope you get a group that actually bothers to do the mechanics (and consequently doesn't need any healing at all)

Conversely, the scaling is crazy for DPS, as my near naked arcane mage alt at 50 topped the meters in a group of 110s.

Lomax

You are going to see a SHITLOAD of people leave the game because of the token price.

I don't know that I agree with that. First I honestly doubt the percentage paying via token is actually that high. Second, of those paying it, I'd imagine most are like me; I'd rather not pay 100k, but I still can easily, and I'm already paid up over a year anyway. In my experience the gap between haves and have nots is huge, I'm sure some people scrape by and barely pay a token every month but those people from what I've seen are the minority. Also, higher token values means more buyers, and higher volume means more money for blizzard. So "lost" subs don't hurt them anyway.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I think I have all the best Ele Shaman legendaries now.

So here's, in order, what I got:

Prydaz
Sephuz
Eye of Twisting Nether
The Deceiver's Blood Pact
and today I got Echoes of the Great Sundering

I am not sure what to use. :(

Strimei

Actually kind of impressed at the second wing of Nighthold in LFR. Spellblade was a pushover but Star Augur and the Botanist guy were a challenge.

I really hope they add sub-races in the next expansion, I would love to play a Troll warrior that stood upright and looked as badass as Zul'Jin does in HotS...

EfkFpGjl.png

Lomax

Yeah, I have a feeling they are going to release a WoW-sub specific token soon.

There's no way, because they'd have to sell it for less than $20, which they have no motivation to do. And there would be no supply otherwise, because people buying them to get gold would only ever buy the one that gets them more gold, so the price would normalize anyway, making the existence of two tokens pointless. So their only choice would be to just revert the change, which would be stupid.

The prices will settle, and people will adjust. I get 3-5k from class hall missions every day (3 characters). That's 100k a month right there. Gold just isn't that hard to make and that doesn't include garrison gold people already had. If people want to play for free they will continue to be able to. And if these buyers now have just been sitting on their gold, that will hit the economy causing more inflation which will just make gold that much easier to make.

EU tokens are crashing in price, I always buy at the wrong time T_T

They've gone down 12k today to 93k on NA. Steady drop all day. We'll see where it stabilizes. It's well above the 58k it was at and I don't expect it to get back there any time soon. But if we end up with 70k to 85k prices or so, that's not too bad, all things considered.

Of course Europe is a different animal. Our high today was basically Europe's norm before the spike.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah I bought 3 tokens at 105k earlier this afternoon. Damn ;_;

At least they were well spent into getting 50 Overwatch loot boxes lol.

Strimei

Based on some spell changes in the latest beta build, looks like you won't be able to save up rep tokens and use them after the patch hits (so you can get another cache easily).

And already down to 86k on NA. Glad I held off.

Meanwhile, Starlight Rose and Fjar prices are out of this world, thanks to bot ban, I assume.

I try and play alts and then it's just like: "this is futile". AP is whatever, all my characters at 110 have over 20 AK, but just lacking gear and mainly relics --- I want to convert my warrior to fury, but I don't have any storm relics right now, so I have to play arms with loot spec set to fury until I get one...or play completely gimped without a relic slot filled. (Besides the fact that my other relics for the weapon are pretty damn low iLvl anyway).

As for other gear, crafted gear can fill some of the gap, sorta, but you're kinda forced to do heroics or base mythics for bloods to pay the upgrade cost.

At least I can queue for LFR if I couldn't get into normal or heroic raids at my iLvl (~845 equipped, 850+ shown). Kinda got to where I am by being carried through Heroic EN once on an alt raid day.

Oh, and fucking Suramar. Gotta do that shit pretty much all over again.

Lain

you can farm the love is in the air mount on every character over level 16 now

you still wont get it.

Ain't that the sad, sad truth.

Yeah warlock sucks right now. Not fun at all to play :X

I'm having fun playing my Affliction Warlock. She's not the strongest but dotting a bunch of stuff and sucking them dry isn't half bad. And I don't get dismounted while mounting around, which is ++++++.

v1perz53

Ain't that the sad, sad truth.

I'm having fun playing my Affliction Warlock. She's not the strongest but dotting a bunch of stuff and sucking them dry isn't half bad. And I don't get dismounted while mounting around, which is ++++++.

The worst thing about being a player who primarily plays tanks is playing a non-tank alt and realizing that being dismounted is actually a thing that I now have to worry about (or buy some saddles or whatever that LW item is to offset).

Okay so back with more questions: so I watched a shit load of random WoW videos today because I'm starting to love the game and a lot of it was either about lore or expansion content and i just wanted to know which areas belong to what expansion and when would it be optimal for me to start paying attention to the quests should I want to get into the overall story?

I'm a draenei so I of course started in Azuremyst isle, moved on to Bloodmyst and from there went to the night elf area and I've since just arrived in Desolace. I payed 0 attention to anything that was going on in the previous areas and all I really know this far (or at least what I've experienced) is that the draenei crash landed and the blood elves were doing shady shit, also the horde was attacking the night elf area and there is a tentacle monster.

I did end up watching a general overview of the story, but there's still tons I don't know or understand and rather than having people on YouTube explain it to me it's something I'd like to play through and experience myself. (Though an explanation on what was going on in those first few areas would be nice)

Okay so back with more questions: so I watched a shit load of random WoW videos today because I'm starting to love the game and a lot of it was either about lore or expansion content and i just wanted to know which areas belong to what expansion and when would it be optimal for me to start paying attention to the quests should I want to get into the overall story?

That's a good question~
Vanilla-
Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdom

Burning Crusade:
Outlands, Azuremyst Isle to Kalimdor, Ghostlands to Eastern Kingdoms

Wrath of the Lich King-
Northrend

Cataclysm-
Remade Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, streamlined alot of quests, added a bunch of new quests. Added The Maelstrom

Mists of Pandaria-
Pandaria(Southmost Island)

Warlords of Draenor-
Draenor

Legion-
Broken Isles

I'm a draenei so I of course started in Azuremyst isle, moved on to Bloodmyst and from there went to the night elf area and I've since just arrived in Desolace. I payed 0 attention to anything that was going on in the previous areas and all I really know this far (or at least what I've experienced) is that the draenei crash landed and the blood elves were doing shady shit, also the horde was attacking the night elf area and there is a tentacle monster.

That sounds about right. If you look at your map, and you scroll over areas, it'll tell you what suggested levels each area is for.

I did end up watching a general overview of the story, but there's still tons I don't know or understand and rather than having people on YouTube explain it to me it's something I'd like to play through and experience myself. (Though an explanation on what was going on in those first few areas would be nice)

Yeah, for Draenai they crash landed their ship. Usually each main area will have 'story' quests for their race, but usually that stuff has been added and expanded to throughout the years and expansions.

Thanks for your help! And I wanna thank everyone here that's been giving me tips and pointers, it's definitely helped my enjoyment of the game grow plenty and I hope that trend continues for the hopefully years to come.

I think I would rather play and re-play Gorgrond and Talador, two of my least favourite zones in Warlords, than ever play through Val'sharah again. That is the worst zone in Legion. It's mildly embarrassing to play through as an Alli and makes zero fucking sense as a Horde, especially since I've tried to kill Malfurion and Tyrande for a +1 mount. It should have been the Alliance starter zone. Goofy Night Elf hippy-dippy bullshit zone.

TheYanger

Thanks for your help! And I wanna thank everyone here that's been giving me tips and pointers, it's definitely helped my enjoyment of the game grow plenty and I hope that trend continues for the hopefully years to come.

To add to the above, wow doesn't really have a 'set' storyline for you to follow, not like Final Fantasy or other more linear games anyway, the world has a definite ongoing story, but it's more worldbuilding than specifically a plot to follow. A LOT of the history of the world is established in the old games, books, comics, etc.

Typically in wow what you're going to find are stories in the zones that you're doing that will relate 95% to that zone, and then like 5% add to the world building aspects it's touching on that will help you understand the larger plot. A way I'd look at it in addition to what Breezy posted above:

Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor: entirely zone-dependent stories, largely centered on the effects of the Cataclysm in those zones (Watch this for a basic idea of what the Cataclysm was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc). The newbie zones tend to be more general world stuff but once you hit the teens to twenties you'll hit more specific areas. Darkshore, since you mentioned it, for example has some very Darkshore specific shit going on because of the Cataclysm, but you'll also learn about old gods and night elves and Malfurion Stormrage and such while doing it.

Azuremyst, as you noticed probably, is one of the oldest untouched zones in the game so the plot there is a little less overt unless you're reading all of the text, but you got the gist of it.

Each expansion once you get to those (60+ leevel zones) will have both a zone storyline and also a more overarching plot, and the more modern you get the better they'll be about showing you what is going on rather than expecting you to read boxes of text. Cataclysm zones (eastern kingdoms and kalimdor stuff) have varying levels of show not tell, but when you hit 60 and go to Burning Crusade it's going to be a lot like Azuremyst and the overall plot will likely be lost on you there. It's fine, it's not as intricate or directly important as the others until you get to current Legion content, which will fill you in (and you'll learn through osmosis by then likely). Wrath of the Lich King (70-80), Cataclysm (80-85), Mists of Pandaria (85-90), Warlords of Draenor (90-100) and Legion (100-110) all get progressively more flashy and direct with their storytelling, the last two expansions especially have lots of cutscenes and dialogue, and the actual quest boxes they don't expect most people read (since nobody ever did honestly), newer zones tend to have NPCs pop up chat boxes while you're questing to give you important info, it's a nice quality of life change that you'll notice creep in at some point.

Along those lines, since you're interested in the plot bits, aside from just proffessions and whatnot you can always just go quest in zones that are lower level than you if you're trying not to outlevel your partner. If you're almost 40 you can go do level 20 zones for example and get no experience whatsoever, simply click the magnifying glass on your map and choose "Low Level Quests" to make lower level !s appear on your minimap and in game, and go pick one of those zones. You won't get any rewards other than seeing what is going on, but some of the Cataclysm zones are really cool and worth checking out if you're bored.

tHtnJf5.png

And back where we started. At least I didn't panic buy at the top thinking it'd keep rising.

Yeah US ones are back down to 70k at the moment, no big deal then.

Teletraan1

Banned
Token prices in NA back down to 62k. I was going to chicken little but I figured prices were going to drop back down. Not that I mind paying $15 a month but I would rather not if I can casually play for free.

Lomax

Every time there has been a spike there's been a drop after and then a stabilization. The fact that it bottomed out above where it was shows it will stay higher. The stable range within acouple of days will probably be somewhere in the middle of that, 80-90k (NA) and then gradually increase over time until this summer.

Top Bottom