• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Tarazet

Poor advice IMO. Assassination is in a fine state. It produces superb single target DPS, with passable 'cleave' DPS. It's AOE isn't that great, but that's not what the spec was made for. Ever since Exsanguinate has fallen out of favor it has become easier to play (which is either good or bad depending on your point of view). The DPS cycle feels smooth and complete.

Outlaw is a mostly great spec for AOE, and cleave. It works superb in Mythic plus runs. It's single target DPS doesn't measure up to Assassination, but isn't terrible. The main drawback, however is that Roll the Bones RNG can lead to frustration on occasion.

I haven't really played Sub but my understanding is that while it basically matches Assassination in DPS, the DPS cycle is harder to execute and feels clunkier.

Sub has the problem of Shadowstrike teleporting you around, and since you use it a lot, often it will dump you into the middle of something you don't want to be standing in. You also have the positional requirement of Backstab, which was taken out of Feral but remains a definite thing with Subtlety. And Sub also requires you to pool resources, which has less of the flavor of "I'm winding up for an alpha strike," and more "I'm watching paint dry."

Strimei

Anything major?

-There was a structure/citadel where the Tomb of Sargeras was long before any of the mortal races were there. Old God related, something about a fight between Y'Shaarj and N'Zoth, and N'Zoth actually lost that battle.
-The Knaifu/Xal'atath considers Elune to be an enemy (and upstart)
-There still is a gaping wound for Azeroth below the Tomb (I believe).
-"Soon all will be drenched in its (Azeroth's) lifeblood."
-"Arthas may have sought revenge on the citadel, but I have... other plans." (Bolvar saying this)
-Greymane is pissed Anduin came to the front lines
-Anduin wants to lead from the front lines
-Xal'atath mentions that the circle will be complete soon, echoing both Il'gynoth and the Echo of Medivh

Not a voice line, but the boss description for Kil'jaeden mentions how the fight will alter Azeroth's destiny forever, so...I get the feeling we may see something happen that we don't expect.

-There was a structure/citadel where the Tomb of Sargeras was long before any of the mortal races were there. Old God related, something about a fight between Y'Shaarj and N'Zoth, and N'Zoth actually lost that battle.
-"Arthas may have sought revenge on the citadel, but I have... other plans." (Bolvar saying this)
-Xal'atath mentions that the circle will be complete soon, echoing both Il'gynoth and the Echo of Medivh

Not a voice line, but the boss description for Kil'jaeden mentions how the fight will alter Azeroth's destiny forever, so...I get the feeling we may see something happen that we don't expect.

Oh man.

What if it all led to WOW 2: THE NEW BREED.

Strimei

A reboot is honestly a very dangerous gamble. You run the risk of splitting your fanbase and killing both the successful game and the new one.

What happened to Everquest is a perfect example, though the original is still around, at least.

Anyway, I don't expect anything like that or a sequel or anything, WoW will be as it is and keep going. Just expect the story to go places.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A reboot is honestly a very dangerous gamble. You run the risk of splitting your fanbase and killing both the successful game and the new one.

What happened to Everquest is a perfect example, though the original is still around, at least.

Anyway, I don't expect anything like that or a sequel or anything, WoW will be as it is and keep going. Just expect the story to go places.

I mean the sequel is still around as well.

I doubt they'd ever do a 'sequel' or reboot but if they did, I'm positive they'd maintain both the original and the new release.

Strimei

I mean the sequel is still around as well.

I doubt they'd ever do a 'sequel' or reboot but if they did, I'm positive they'd maintain both the original and the new release.

True, and also still receiving expansions, no less (just like the original). Still, I don't think it'd be a wise idea, yeah Everquest managed to survive but it stumbled hard, and allowed a certain upstart named World of Warcraft (which launched right around the time EQ2 did) to take its place.

Seems a bit too big a gamble to me, in all honesty.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The hint about the state of Argus makes me way less interested in going there.

Magnus

I made 60k last week from 2x maxed toons doing order hall gold missions, plus my other less maxed toons gold missions. According to my gold tracking addon, last month I made ~20k from "quests" (assuming WQs), 32k from "loot" (probably opening emissary boxes and other random sources of gold) and ~17k from "merchants" which I guess is vendoring random stuff? So that would be ~310k in a month totally passively, without including anything that I randomly threw on the AH, which would add a healthy amount to that. This info is an aggregate of all my toons, but I play 2 110s seriously and the rest barely at all, definitely no emissaries on other toons. Can't be more explicit than that though, my addon doesn't seem to give more details. Not quite the 600k Yanger makes, but definitely a healthy passive amount and more than enough to pay for my sub passively if I wanted to.

Also, thank the lord jesus, got my Prot Pal's hidden appearance from my 2nd Withered Training so no pressure to constantly do that on him.

Huh. Wow. I feel like I play quite a bit on these two toons, but I basically do all the emissaries on them, and only really do any M+/LFR on the main. I absolutely do not make 60k a week on their gold quests though, wtf. I make maybe 10k from the main's gold quests (including bonuses). They're just not up that often. I see one every two days. The second character's gold quests are only worth like 150g right now.

How are you getting 60k from those?!

Just speaking to alchemy: Prolonged Power is usually the best for me, but right now Fjarny is the most lucrative thing to do with bloods on my server. Bot ban seemed to hit that herb the most. And yeah, flasks tend to be fairly small margins at this point (Tuesday and Wednesday not as bad as the rest of the week though).

edit: Sometimes Starlight Rose is a decent proposition with bloods but in my experience it tends to be fairly volatile.

I notice mostly the same. How often do you sell a batch, and how many do you sell? (Prolonged Power)

Tomb must be built over a Black Empire temple. Maybe one of the ones Knaifu talks about that dwarf Titanic and mortal constructions

Hah, every time I do the "barrels of fun" kirin tor quest and the NPC says "bah, lucky", if only he knew...

Anyway, I don't have a pure DPS alt, and I've been thinking of trying Rogue for a while but I can't decide what spec to play. It would be probably primarily a PvP character, but with a solid amount of PvE and soloing as well. I've always preferred Combat, and I like outlaw in terms of theme and weapons, but it seems to be hyper-variable in terms of output and looked at as the worst spec in PvP. Assass seems to be DPS FotM in both PvE and PvP, but probably the least interesting playstyle to me and possibly the worst AoE for Mythic+? Sub has a lot of cool things and great mobility, but a very weird rotation and playstyle that I'm not sure if I like or dislike.

Leaning towards sub, anyone who plays rogue found any of the specs to be way more fun than the others?
I take back what I said about Outlaw in my previous post. While Roll the Bones can be annoying as hell in a raid sense, I just did some world quests and stuff just melted in groups. Blade Flurry, Cannon Barrage, Adrenaline Rush all at the same time is just fun. It really does bring back some memories of a combat rogue in vanilla.

I did a raid last night as assassin, and it just felt a bit boring.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What hint?

I'm also guessing it's going to be essentially the size of tanaan jungle if that.
Warlock skull says "This place is so like Argus. Twisted, shattered, and broken. Ah, almost makes me homesick."

Strimei

Warlock skull says "This place is so like Argus. Twisted, shattered, and broken. Ah, almost makes me homesick."

Not entirely surprised that it would be like that, to be honest, though a part of me had held out hope that maybe the eredar would have kept it in a more pristine state as a sort of monument or something to their greatness. But who knows.

Not entirely surprised that it would be like that, to be honest, though a part of me had held out hope that maybe the eredar would have kept it in a more pristine state as a sort of monument or something to their greatness. But who knows.

I expect
Argus to be very green and rocky. Dunno why people expected otherwise?

v1perz53

Huh. Wow. I feel like I play quite a bit on these two toons, but I basically do all the emissaries on them, and only really do any M+/LFR on the main. I absolutely do not make 60k a week on their gold quests though, wtf. I make maybe 10k from the main's gold quests (including bonuses). They're just not up that often. I see one every two days. The second character's gold quests are only worth like 150g right now.

How are you getting 60k from those?!

I notice mostly the same. How often do you sell a batch, and how many do you sell? (Prolonged Power)

I don't know what the difference is between my gold missions and yours, but I generally have between 0-2 gold missions up per character per day, with more days at 2 than 0. Per char I almost always make 20k minimum per week, I think I average 10 gold missions per week? I have two toons that have all 850 followers (meaning ~900g with 1500g bonus) and can guarantee 200% every gold mission. The extra 5-6k comes from doing the 150-500g gold missions on my shittier alts.

I take back what I said about Outlaw in my previous post. While Roll the Bones can be annoying as hell in a raid sense, I just did some world quests and stuff just melted in groups. Blade Flurry, Cannon Barrage, Adrenaline Rush all at the same time is just fun. It really does bring back some memories of a combat rogue in vanilla.

I did a raid last night as assassin, and it just felt a bit boring.

My main problem is that I prefer Outlaw for PvE stuff and general play (I would be doing more M+ than raiding) but I also really enjoy rogue PvP and would want to play my rogue as my PvP alt, and from all that I hear Outlaw is in a really bad state right now in PvP. Though I guess this is technically fine since you only need 34 points in an artifact to PvP since paragon traits don't work, and ilvl mostly comes from gear so having a lower ilvl artifact wouldn't be THAT bad for PvP.

You guys have any recommendations on getting into mythic progression guilds (not anything major, like 3/10) without mythic experience? Just focus on parsing well in heroic and knowing fights? My friend and I are shopping around for new guilds as our current one is falling apart and it's looking like our best bet is finding a heroic guild that's transitioning into mythic. He parses better than I do, but I'm typically 80th+ percentile for my ilvl.

There sadly aren't too many heroic raids posted on OpenRaid - has anyone had any success pugging them through LFG?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You guys have any recommendations on getting into mythic progression guilds (not anything major, like 3/10) without mythic experience? Just focus on parsing well in heroic and knowing fights? My friend and I are shopping around for new guilds as our current one is falling apart and it's looking like our best bet is finding a heroic guild that's transitioning into mythic. He parses better than I do, but I'm typically 80th+ percentile for my ilvl.

There sadly aren't too many heroic raids posted on OpenRaid - has anyone had any success pugging them through LFG?

usually item level is the most important thing. if you've cleared most of heroic you're probably a shoe in in most guilds at that level.

my guild is on heroic guldan about to do mythics, so maybe we're a good fit for you:

http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/ner-zhul/Turbo+Cyborg+Ninjas

Aphexian

How often are you guys able to get enough gold to pay for your next month of WoW? Every month is free for you now? Every other month? Every couple months?
Asking for a friend >.>

biaxident

Question for you guys. During normal progression we prioritized tier to dps to get their 4 pc, majority of the dps now have 4 pc and we're starting heroic, but one of our tanks didn't get much gear from normal due to a very crowded tier he's on. Should we prioritize dps getting their heroic sets or make sure heals/tanks gets some pieces since they didn't get much tier from normal?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
How often are you guys able to get enough gold to pay for your next month of WoW? Every month is free for you now? Every other month? Every couple months?
Asking for a friend >.>

well i loaded up when it was like 20 or 30k and got like a year's worth. but now that its 80k... i can make that in like a week and a half or something just by selling stuff on the AH. if i went harder i can make like 10k a day.

just depends on what your professions are and what you can find to make money from.

Question for you guys. During normal progression we prioritized tier to dps to get their 4 pc, majority of the dps now have 4 pc and we're starting heroic, but one of our tanks didn't get much gear from normal due to a very crowded tier he's on. Should we prioritize dps getting their heroic sets or make sure heals/tanks gets some pieces since they didn't get much tier from normal?

you should probably just get everyone their 4 pc before thinking about upgrades.

mclem

Are your tanks dying, or feeling demoralised because they feel the system doesn't give them much personal reward?

Tanking gear's a rather hard thing to judge; there's a metric that is 'enough', and there's not a *huge* amount to gain through gearing beyond that (although, to be fair, Tank DPS isn't quite as insignificant as it used to be, and that could potentially be a clincher when you're brushing the enrage timer); plus tank deaths aren't *necessarily* the fault of tank gear, it could be healers not having enough throughput or even DPS taking unnecessary damage and in turn distracting healers.

Certainly, at the bleeding edge gearing DPS always comes first, because there's no point where the usefulness of gear to a DPSer stops at 'enough'. However, to get psychological for a moment, at the Normal level of progression, I'd be tempted to argue that that philosophy wouldn't work - when you're pushing server firsts, people have an extra layer of motivation that would make them more receptive to personal sacrifice in the short term for guild victory in the long term. At a slower progression rate, I think you run the risk of the players who don't get rewarded feeling undervalued.

FWIW, there's two other points I ought to make from a personal perspective:

In the *very* specific example of protection paladins, the two-set is great, but the four-set isn't much good unless you have the legendary helm; I don't know if similar situations exist for other tanks.

And in my role as both MT and RL, I'm generally comfortable with passing on gear anyway if there's a net benefit to others in the raid; it sets an example, but it's a decision I'm making in my own right; I frequently say "I'm needing, but I'll pass in favour of anyone else", independent of our underlying loot distribution system. That might ultimately be key, here: Ask your tanks how they feel, whether they feel like they have 'enough', whether they feel squishy (and you might want to co-ordinate that discussion with the healers), and whether they're comfortable with what they're getting.

If *nothing* else, one thing I would suggest in such a discussion is to establish if there are any specific slots they feel are badly lagging behind; while I feel like I have 'enough' in general, I do have a few 865s knocking around that would make a big difference if I could replace them, and they'd be comparatively cheap to replace (because I'd get a noticeable improvement from just a basic Heroic - or even in some cases Normal - upgrade for them, whereas other people who'd be competing with me for that slot might only really see a small improvement in the event that a War- or Titan-forged item drops.

I make new ones two to three times a week, with whatever bloods I get from doing emissaries on my alchemist. With Bloodhunter, herbing while I go and world quests, that's around 500 potions a week, more if the price is high enough. I supplement that with some flasks and other potions, but not a lot as the margins aren't as good.

I could do more, but I don't like having a big inventory.

Corpekata

Banned
My guild has received like 10 Vault of the Wardens keystones (and a few HoV) this week, and we're a pretty small guild. Even if it were an easy or liked dungeon, running anything that much is tiresome.

Magnus

My guild has received like 10 Vault of the Wardens keystones (and a few HoV) this week, and we're a pretty small guild. Even if it were an easy or liked dungeon, running anything that much is tiresome.

It's a running joke in my guild (and I'm sure many others) that Vault keys always rot, unused. It's the new Oculus, easily.

Lomax

I swear, 90% of the time I would queue on my tank for a satchel during Wrath I'd join an oculus run in progress. I had that mount drop like 4 times.

Mupod

Our 15 this week was Vault. Wasn't bad at all with these affixes. We actually almost two chested it, but I took it slow in the spider room.

Now any high level Vault with either Fortified or Necrotic (because of the second boss) is the worst shit ever. Tyrannical on the first boss when he's in tank mode is awful too.

v1perz53

It's a running joke in my guild (and I'm sure many others) that Vault keys always rot, unused. It's the new Oculus, easily.

This is our THIRD week in a row where our +15 stone was HoV in my M+ 5 man group. We don't have a ton of time to play, so generally we just do whatever +15 we get instead of spending the time to take one of our other +11 stones to +15 (side note, I really wish if you did a 15 the previous week it would start you with a 12 instead of an 11, would generally eliminate an extra run for us per week depending on luck). This week wasn't as bad as the past two weeks, but like everything else there are fun unexpected doom moments in HoV with every affix combo at +15...

Also I think I officially found the longest grind in WoW. Before, I thought it was Hydraxian Waterlords on a new toon, but after playing my loremaster toon I saw that even new characters unlock the "Black Prince" reputation, starting at 2800/3000 neutral despite all the content being removed. Well, almost all of the content...

You can get 500 rep per week for killing one of the August Celestial world bosses on the timeless isle. That means that, on a new character, if you really wanted to max this rep (for no gain whatsoever), it would take you 81 weeks of doing august celestials. Over one and a half years of doing a world boss weekly. I guess slightly less if you are human or accounting for the darkmoon faire, but still an ungodly total amount of time. Can't think of anything else ingame that would take that long to "max out" from start to finish.

v1perz53

Vaults easy as shit though.

Depends on the affixes, since mini bosses count as trash, anything Fortified + something that makes trash worse (raging is particularly notable) can combo to be quite hard on Glayviana or the two mini bosses before bosses 3 and 4. Glayviana was hitting me for 60% of my HP per hit last week on a +14 when raging kicked in. Necrotic is also really bad in there, depending on luck, since for some stupid reason the imps apply necrotic (before the fat lady after the first boss), and if the 2nd boss summons a large pack of adds after his 2nd teleport there's no easy way for some tanks to reset necrotic for the final 30% of the fight. The only other issue we've had with Vault is that the trash before the last boss loves to bug out, we've had one of those stationary humanoid mobs that knocks you back just teleport away and aggro another trash pack several times.

Overall though, VotW is a solid mid tier M+ dungeon. It's no Maw or DHT, but it is certainly no HoV or BRH either. Similar to Arcway in my mind, not too bad on its own, but certain affix combos don't play well in there because of some of the pull sizes/mechanics.

What is the darkest timeline for WoW and WoW 2? Even if you split the current WoW userbase and add nobody new, those are still two healthy populations.

EQ and EQ2, I'm not deep into those games, but they've survived longer than just about any other MMORPGs, so, it can't have been that bad. And I'm pretty sure WoW would've stomped EQ regardless of whether EQ2 existed.

I agree that WoW 2 won't happen, but just more because of expense vs. upside. There's a fantasy MMORPG market that has reached maturation at this point, and I'm sure Blizzard figures they have a big enough piece of it already, and the massive, massive undertaking that would be WoW2 represents somewhat of a limited upside. It would have to be a genre-busting game to expand the market enough to make it a worthwhile gamble.

Lomax

As someone who doesn't run high end mythics, I'm confused. All you guys say "your group's +15 for the week." But doesn't each member of the group have a keystone? Can't you just run up another stone to +15? Or is that not worth the time? Or is there something I completely don't know about keystones at that level?

Mupod

As someone who doesn't run high end mythics, I'm confused. All you guys say "your group's +15 for the week." But doesn't each member of the group have a keystone? Can't you just run up another stone to +15? Or is that not worth the time? Or is there something I completely don't know about keystones at that level?

In your order hall there's a chest, at the start of each week it gives a random piece of loot based on your highest cleared keystone. It doesn't need to be your keystone.

Right now the best possible reward is an ilvl 900 item, which you get by clearing a +15 keystone (these drop 885 normally, the box is +15 item levels higher than the level of keystone you cleared).

My group used to grind mythic+ relentlessly but we don't give a shit anymore and just do the bare minimum to get our 900 item for the week. We did it in 3 dungeons last night, although we did an extra for alts/friends to get their dungeon chest weekly reward.

PatzCU

At what point do you guys sacrifice ilvl upgrades for secondary stats? I main a blood DK and keep getting thrown high ilvl items with no +haste which is not ideal.

For example, I have an 860 ilvl ring with crit/haste which I'm currently using over an 890 ilvl ring with crit/versatility. Should I be using the ilvl 890 ring because it's such a massive ilvl upgrade?

I keep having to make these decisions on various pieces of gear and my haste is now hovering at a lowly 23-24%.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
At what point do you guys sacrifice ilvl upgrades for secondary stats? I main a blood DK and keep getting thrown high ilvl items with no +haste which is not ideal.

For example, I have an 860 ilvl ring with crit/haste which I'm currently using over an 890 ilvl ring with crit/versatility. Should I be using the ilvl 890 ring because it's such a massive ilvl upgrade?

I keep having to make these decisions on various pieces of gear and my haste is now hovering at a lowly 23-24%.

You really need to install pawn and set up the stat weights in it, and change them around if/when you reach breakpoints.

There isn't a simple answer to this question.

Sim your character. It's a pretty easy process.

Lomax

In your order hall there's a chest, at the start of each week it gives a random piece of loot based on your highest cleared keystone. It doesn't need to be your keystone.

Right now the best possible reward is an ilvl 900 item, which you get by clearing a +15 keystone (these drop 885 normally, the box is +15 item levels higher than the level of keystone you cleared).

My group used to grind mythic+ relentlessly but we don't give a shit anymore and just do the bare minimum to get our 900 item for the week. We did it in 3 dungeons last night, although we did an extra for alts/friends to get their dungeon chest weekly reward.

Yeah, I get that, and I get not wanting to grind, absolutely. But it just seems like there's options for pushing up another keystone that would be better than just not running it at all, which is the impression I get from some posts here. Though I'm sure slogging through a crappy +15 and just getting it done is still less time consuming than grinding up a lower keystone and hoping for a different dungeon.

Unrelated edit: NA token prices seem to be stabilizing in the 80-85k range.

Top Bottom