• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

cdyhybrid

Sigh, I don't have either of these quests, the "hidden threat" one or the AK26 one from my order hall, nor did I ever get the quest to gather knowledge from three locations on the broken shore. I had quests to visit the two flight path areas, then I got a quest for Cathedral that I haven't done yet, nothing else. Seems wonky, I'll just wait a bit and see I guess.

It's one of the first quests you get after landing on Broken Shore. Might want to go back to Deliverance Point and see if you missed it.

Are you AK25?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
This new music tho holy shit
p0QHO.gif

v1perz53

It's one of the first quests you get after landing on Broken Shore. Might want to go back to Deliverance Point and see if you missed it.

Are you AK25?

Yea, AK 25, maxed artifact pre 7.2 on this toon. Nothing at the main hub or two FP areas. Oh well, might put in a ticket.

Fjordson

Jeez it was just 8 hours...

And didn't that long of maintenance used to be a regular thing way back in the day? (vanilla/bc)
That and the frequency of it. These days there are plenty of weeks where we only have server restarts for 15-20 minutes or whatever. Early on that was rare, you'd almost always have full blown maintenance on Tuesdays.

Bregor

Check your inventory for a tome that will raise your AK to 26. Once your AK is 26, you can pick up a quest from Khadgar on the Broken Isles.

So glad I finally gave Death Knight a shot. Last class in the game I hadn't tried and probably one of my favourites. Love the mid-ranged casting, melee hybrid, love the sustain that all specs, particularly Blood, have. Gorefiends Grasp and Asphyxiate make me feel like I'm some sort of sith lord. The artifacts all look pretty sweet and the Order Hall campaign is living up to the comments I've read about it being one of the best in Legion.

Fjordson

So glad I finally gave Death Knight a shot. Last class in the game I hadn't tried and probably one of my favourites. Love the mid-ranged casting, melee hybrid, love the sustain that all specs, particularly Blood, have. Gorefiends Grasp and Asphyxiate make me feel like I'm some sort of sith lord. The artifacts all look pretty sweet and the Order Hall campaign is living up to the comments I've read about it being one of the best in Legion.
DK is awesome. Been building up my frost DK for the last two months and it's a lot of fun. And the order hall / campaign is definitely among the best out of all the classes I think.

Lomax

A bit surprised at the snark here towards someone expressing discontent with large amounts of downtime. Eight hours is a long time, and yes, it's part of the contract but these days plenty of us pay with 30 day tokens, not every month subs, so those 8 hours literally are lost time from what you pay for. Eight hours of downtime in 30 days is over 1% downtime, that's non-trivial and does have value. Plus plenty of us remember times during vanilla where long downtimes and unplanned server issues resulted in account credits being issued. Does Blizzard have to compensate people for it? No, of course they don't. But it isn't unreasonable to ask about it and honestly that person wasn't being particularly vitriolic, and if anything, the response is a bit pedantic and childish. "The TOS says so" is about the worst possible response to anything, and in some places (like the EU) not even particularly legally binding.

And yes, I'm aware that maintenance is far less common than it once was and that an occasional downtime isn't at all excessive or unreasonable.

Rambaldi

I switched mains from a fire mage to a frost DK in 4.3 and I've been satisfied ever since. Even when they aren't the top DPS they're so much fun to play. I've recently learned to tank (I had major anxiety about it previously) and now I'm filling in for our missing off tank in heroic NH just because it's so fun. It's crazy.

v1perz53

A bit surprised at the snark here towards someone expressing discontent with large amounts of downtime. Eight hours is a long time, and yes, it's part of the contract but these days plenty of us pay with 30 day tokens, not every month subs, so those 8 hours literally are lost time from what you pay for. Eight hours of downtime in 30 days is over 1% downtime, that's non-trivial and does have value. Plus plenty of us remember times during vanilla where long downtimes and unplanned server issues resulted in account credits being issued. Does Blizzard have to compensate people for it? No, of course they don't. But it isn't unreasonable to ask about it and honestly that person wasn't being particularly vitriolic, and if anything, the response is a bit pedantic and childish. "The TOS says so" is about the worst possible response to anything, and in some places (like the EU) not even particularly legally binding.

And yes, I'm aware that maintenance is far less common than it once was and that an occasional downtime isn't at all excessive or unreasonable.

I think someone on reddit put it best. Even taking the shortest possible month of 28 days (to maximize the percentage that the 8 hours becomes) there would be 672 hours in a month. Means that 8 hour maintenance (or 1.19% of his monthly time) would equate to a refund of 18 cents. He made a post complaining about how to ask for a refund of 18 cents...

And I guess it depends on how you look at it. I played since Vanilla, back then and through WotLK and beyond, Tuesday maintenance was always 8 hours or longer. Hell, sometimes maintenance went a full day when things were bad. People don't know how good they have it these days with most Tuesdays being a 5 minute server restart.

But really the main issue is that he asked for "compensation" which would amount to 18 cents...

v1perz53

Well that's a bit shit. Apparently unlocking the new artifact traits requires AK 25/26 as a prereq regardless of whether or not you're capped on weapons or not. One of my alts has 35 traits in all weapons, but is still AK 23, so I can't start new traits for like 6 days for no reason. Probably sucks even worse for people who just got their first toon to 110, takes like a month to go from 15 to 25 before you can even start on new traits.

BTW I did get the AK 26 and new traits stuff worked out on my main, GM gave me the AK 26 quest which when completed allowed me to get the new traits quest.

DK is awesome. Been building up my frost DK for the last two months and it's a lot of fun. And the order hall / campaign is definitely among the best out of all the classes I think.

I switched mains from a fire mage to a frost DK in 4.3 and I've been satisfied ever since. Even when they aren't the top DPS they're so much fun to play. I've recently learned to tank (I had major anxiety about it previously) and now I'm filling in for our missing off tank in heroic NH just because it's so fun. It's crazy.

The Frost Artifact random event sounds pretty sweet, randomly stumbling across the spirit of Arthas who gives you some lore flavour and AP. I really liked what I played of Frost while leveling, definitely the second artifact/spec I want to level after Blood.

Definitely understand the anxiety about tanking, it's something I avoided even trying out until 7.0 despite playing a lot of hybrid classes. It's so much fun, although I'm mainly disappointing strangers in PUGs and the finder if I throw a run under the bus, not guildies. Probably a different amount of pressure there.

Fjordson

Fucking hell. Purchased a name change before I logged in for the patch, but of course it somehow got fucked up and now I haven't been able to login for almost an hour. Just says "An error was encountered. Please come back later" next to the character I bought the change on. Da fuck.

That and the frequency of it. These days there are plenty of weeks where we only have server restarts for 15-20 minutes or whatever. Early on that was rare, you'd almost always have full blown maintenance on Tuesdays.

I remember Tuesday maintenance taking 4 hours minimum back in Vanilla. It always made my super-nerdy shut-in self really sad during winter break.

So I'm nearing level 101 as my Assassination Rogue. Gotta respec to Outlaw once I hit 102 and work to get my other artifact weapons. This is seriously a way, way different game than Vanilla WoW.

Rambaldi

Definitely understand the anxiety about tanking, it's something I avoided even trying out until 7.0 despite playing a lot of hybrid classes. It's so much fun, although I'm mainly disappointing strangers in PUGs and the finder if I throw a run under the bus, not guildies. Probably a different amount of pressure there.

Thankfully, my guildmates have been very supportive about it. They say I'm great but I think they're just afraid I'll kick them if they aren't nice, lol.

Xeteh

Damnit, why does the AH default to "Per Stack" instead of "Per Unit"? I'm too stupid to remember and have lost so much gold over the last couple months because I never remember to check. Just sold 3 stacks of 8 Oblit for the price of 1.

I made a haul today in LFR first I got the guardian hidden appearance and then I two trinkets in LFR back to back one even titanforged to 870. It seems like everything I'm looting today is at least warforged does it seem like they raised the upgrade chance to anyone else?

I made a haul today in LFR first I got the guardian hidden appearance and then I two trinkets in LFR back to back one even titanforged to 870. It seems like everything I'm looting today is at least warforged does it seem like they raised the upgrade chance to anyone else?

Yeah, I have noticed a lot of armor getting upgraded like that.

And grats on the guardian hidden appearance. That one took me awhile to get.

Damnit, why does the AH default to "Per Stack" instead of "Per Unit"? I'm too stupid to remember and have lost so much gold over the last couple months because I never remember to check. Just sold 3 stacks of 8 Oblit for the price of 1.

Yeah, that is very annoying, and of course people have bullshit add-ons that snap the stuff up immediately.

And the pagination is so archaic. Nothing much in the way of filtering. Except for the category filters which suck. Not remembering your settings when posting multiple stacks of something. Have they touched the AH interface at all since vanilla? Man is it bad.

Tarazet

I unlocked AK26 plus the 27+ research on four 110's today, and afterwards did the Court of Farondis emissary on three (the Shaman had it done already).

The order I took them to the Broken Shore was:

Elemental Shaman 885
Destruction Warlock 845
Shadow Priest 857
Arcane Mage 865

The easiest one BY FAR was the Mage. I mean, holy shit, it was not even remotely close.

The Priest was fun in the scenario because of all the Shadow Word: Death targets, but she really had problems out in the world because the mob density seems to be much higher in the Broken Shore. This would be an absolutely perfect zone for a tank to romp around in.

Lomax

I think someone on reddit put it best. Even taking the shortest possible month of 28 days (to maximize the percentage that the 8 hours becomes) there would be 672 hours in a month. Means that 8 hour maintenance (or 1.19% of his monthly time) would equate to a refund of 18 cents. He made a post complaining about how to ask for a refund of 18 cents...

And I guess it depends on how you look at it. I played since Vanilla, back then and through WotLK and beyond, Tuesday maintenance was always 8 hours or longer. Hell, sometimes maintenance went a full day when things were bad. People don't know how good they have it these days with most Tuesdays being a 5 minute server restart.

But really the main issue is that he asked for "compensation" which would amount to 18 cents...

Yes, it's 18 cents. But it's also more than that, it's 8 hours of opportunity. I know I've felt the pain of not getting to play for a few days, sitting down to play, and discovering the game is down. It sucks, and it leads people to make posts like he did. I certainly don't expect Blizzard to extend all our subs by 8 hours every time they do a long maintenance (that would cost them a fortune), but still, when the response is "TOS says we can neener neener" it just comes across as crass and arrogant. They could have easily said "an awesome new free patch is your reward for this long downtime" or any number of things.

Another thing to remember is that WoW isn't really competing against other MMOs any more for the most part. It is competing against F2P mobile games like Puzzles and Dragons, and those games tend to throw lots of compensation at players for every minor issue. Now they have tons of currencies and the like that WoW doesn't have, and Blizzard isn't going to start handing out Artifact Power to make up for down time, but plenty of players now are used to compensation being the response from companies that run games they play. There's more than one form of compensation and distilling it down to "it's only 18 cents" trivializes the perception of value that comes with any gaming experience. I remember those crappy times in vanilla too, and there's no doubt things are much much better now in terms of downtime. But I also remember getting free days as compensation more than once, and I really can't imagine a Blizzard rep back then giving someone an answer that basically says "suck it up, we can shut it all down any time if we want to."

3 chesting both kara mythics is easy as hell, they give you an insane amount of time.

Is the chess event still a busted piece of shit? As a demo warlock my pets wont even attack anything there and half the chessboard blocks my line of sight for no reason. Doing that on M+ sounds like a nightmare

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is the chess event still a busted piece of shit? As a demo warlock my pets wont even attack anything there and half the chessboard blocks my line of sight for no reason. Doing that on M+ sounds like a nightmare

Never done it with a Warlock so I dunno but I've never had issues as melee.

v1perz53

What a weird change, apparently Yogg 25 summons his portals ~10 seconds after transitioning to phase 2 instead of after ~60 seconds. Yay, save 50 seconds per run? What an odd thing for them to bother to alter.

Huh, I forgot that even existed until you mentioned it because I haven't used the AH in it's base state since I think WotLK, I couldn't imagine not using Auctionator at this point. Most of the time people complain about some aspect of the AH I am confused for a while until I realize Auctionator is actually a mod I use and not baseline. Man the blizz AH is garbage without addons and really needs a makeover.

Lain

Ahaha, scaling mobs with itemlevel? Becoming more powerful and crushing mundane shit is the whole point of playing and getting better gear in my mind. That feels like a very silly change to me and the fact they made it without telling as much to the player-base feels pretty poor.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Raids were all bugged today so it stressed out our raiding situation today since we switched progression from nighthold to trial of valor. We got Odyn down at least.

mclem

Ahaha, scaling mobs with itemlevel? Becoming more powerful and crushing mundane shit is the whole point of playing and getting better gear in my mind. That feels like a very silly change to me and the fact they made it without telling as much to the player-base feels pretty poor.

I dunno, I think the fact that Lordly McEpicPants can ride up and two-or-three-shot mobs that a levelling guy is still *running towards* is perhaps an issue!

I've noticed that in recent world quests prior to the patch a bit; when I watch other people attacking enemies, there's going to be situations where one mob takes a (comparatively) long time to go down - then I arrive, and help finish off the last 40% in a few GCDs. And I'm a tank.

I'm not sure this is the right solution, but there's absolutely a problem there.

Lain

I dunno, I think the fact that Lordly McEpicPants can ride up and two-or-three-shot mobs that a levelling guy is still *running towards* is perhaps an issue!

I've noticed that in recent world quests prior to the patch a bit; when I watch other people attacking enemies, there's going to be situations where one mob takes a (comparatively) long time to go down - then I arrive, and help finish off the last 40% in a few GCDs. And I'm a tank.

I'm not sure this is the right solution, but there's absolutely a problem there.

I don't consider that an issue that would be fixed with ilvl scaling, then again I also don't like mobs leveling with you in Legion in general, so scaling at the ilvl level feels even worse to me, issues aside.

Talking about other changes, the change to player names has made me feel even more surrounded by Alliance people now. Everything is ridiculously orange when going around.

Panthers

The problem is how extream the scaling is. IIf you take off 1 ring, the mobs health/damage drops a ton. Basically taking off gear is making world mobs much easier. Easier than they were before.

Faiz

Ugh. Having to do single player scenario stuff just to unlock a new zone is terrible MMO design. Isle of Thunder was bad enough and I thought they had learned from that.

So... is there another scenario after the one that opens the zone because that one was not single player?

Robin64

Sweet, as a mostly world content player I don't need to care about gear at all now. If I can't progressively get more powerful compared to the enemies, who cares what I get.

Mupod

Last night was the Mass Effect Andromeda of raiding. I had to tank too, as our usual second tank was lagging out or unable to get in or something.

So, bosses doing weird shit like extreme damage from Spellblade's Annihilate, or Botanist's clones not sharing health. My favorite was Trilliax just instakilling the entire raid as soon as the laser went out. On top of that this is supposedly farm content and I never bothered to learn how to tank any of it, nobody had patience to wait so we would pull and I'd literally be like 'so what do I do'. Still got most of heroic and mythic Skorpyron down, Hopefully they fix some of this shit by Sunday.

Milennia

Enjoying the patch, raid testing was fun as well so far, I'd say for me this one is a banger

Content wise of course
Bugs everywhere with this one

I've read a lot of complaints about Legion, from things all across the spectrum. Name it, and I've probably seen it complained about.

I've never once seen players complain about the situations you mention and Ion describes. The only comments I've seen regarding this are players that like when they see a bear druid or something come into a WQ and start an AoE train that lower gear characters can benefit from.

And not related to your post, but just the idea in general: I don't like this bring framed as a "challenge" issue. It's not. It's just a a tedium issue.

I don't fault them for trying it, even if I think it's silly and the reactions are predictable. Hell, my perfect theoretical MMO wouldn't have gear level make you more powerful in the open world at all. But not communicating about it beforehand is a cop out and doesn't allow it to be tested properly. All that did was make the reactions worse.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I was kinda wondering if the enemies seemed 'stronger', relatively, beyond the 'jump' I expected. Sometimes I truly do wonder what Blizz is thinking in terms of doing things like this unannounced and untested, and then having to make a blue post that uses potentially incendiary language and such.

Like...

If you get a great set of item upgrades that make you 5% stronger, maybe the world gets 1-2% tougher.

....why? If the difference in your killing ability from a gear that directly boosts your dps by 5%, and you only get a 2-3% benefit out of it, that makes gear feel comparatively less valuable - so why bother, then?

From some reactions so far, it sounds like we may be off on that tuning. And as noted above, the fact that unequipping items can ever be helpful is a bug that we'll be investigating and fixing.

AKA We didn't test this for shit, and will be lowering numbers ASAP (relatively).

edit: Also, this....

It was not to be deceptive; we know it's impossible to hide a change from millions of players. But the system was meant to feel largely transparent and subtle, just like level-scaling does if you don't stop and really think about it, and so we did want players to first experience the change organically.

is complete and utter horseshit, because you literally said the opposite about world quest (i.e. open world content) back in 7.0

Top Bottom