• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Jag

Equipment Sets : ANGER

Edit: so the mage tower on Sargares is at 99%. It took around 5 1/2 days going at full speed with the presumed Max number of players that would be available because of the patch, and we'll get half that in uptime...interested to see how long it will take for the next one, and the next one, and the next.

All of NA share the same tower building % (EU is the same).

Question, now that the mage tower is up and we don't get the rep buff. Is there any point in holding off on rep tokens or resource turnins for Legionfall rep? I'm guessing the DMF 10% is the only buff we're getting until the Mage tower gets rebuilt AND we get lucky with a buff which could be awhile or never.

Mupod

Had a slow start last night, on top of that we had to clean up the rest of Heroic because of all the bugged bosses on Tuesday. Still got two new bosses down, Chromatic Anomaly has been giving us trouble for weeks but our new strategy worked great. I don't know what the new strategy was, I just stand there and kill things.

Trilliax was surprisingly easy. I think we got it in 2 or 3 pulls? From what I hear the rest of the place is gonna give us trouble, but at least now we can make some progress towards the mythic loot crate from the mission board. How many kills do you need for that? I think I'm at 5 now.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Makes you wonder why everyone and their uncle was piling their resources into the Mage Tower consider only people ilvl900-ish have a shot at getting it.

Waste of time and effort, if you ask me.

More than likely because of the AP bonus chance. Most people on my server didn't even knew the scenario was to get another artifact skin.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yeah. What the fuck Blizzard. He has ton of health, has a move that can kill you in one hit. And I read this is just the first phase of many.

Lame.

It's intended to be a challenge. If/when you get gear from Tomb of Sargeras it maybe slightly easier, but it's still intended to be a challenge like having to avoid the one-shot mechanics, use of CC and utility abilities, etc.

RPGCrazied

It's intended to be a challenge. If/when you get gear from Tomb of Sargeras it maybe slightly easier, but it's still intended to be a challenge like having to avoid the one-shot mechanics, use of CC and utility abilities, etc.

Raiders already have a skin they can get, and its challenging. Do they really need more?

If it's supposed to be a challenge then Blizzard should've made it scale.

Test the player, not the gear.

lazygecko

Pet battles are more unforgiving than Dark Souls.

I can't for the life of me beat the fucking Darmoon Faire pet battle daily. And when I look it up on Wowhead, of course people are recommending pets that you can't even get in the game any more.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
If it's supposed to be a challenge then Blizzard should've made it scale.

Test the player, not the gear.

Because Blizz has been on the ball so far with player gear level and scaling....

In all seriousness, I don't disagree, but at the same time, I kind of think their point was that as people gear up, it should become easier to get so its not locked off to mythic raiders or what have you.

The question is: What ilevel are the challenges currently designed around - unless there's another bump for world/dungeon gear when Tomb releases, people are having problems right now at 880+ gear, which is higher than any non H/M raider would have.

Pet battles are more unforgiving than Dark Souls.

I can't for the life of me beat the fucking Darmoon Faire pet battle daily. And when I look it up on Wowhead, of course people are recommending pets that you can't even get in the game any more.

Left one - Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, Darkmoon Tonk, any other pet

Right one - Scourged Whelpling, Clockwork Gnome, Cogblade Raptor

Corpekata

Banned
I can kinda see making some progress on the challenge once I've got Wax and Wane unlocked, but sheesh is it tough as a moonkin with very little way to control the melee guy.

Well its 7.2 so is it tough or just broken? The only people I see finishing them are mythic raiders with 910+ equip

I'm assuming it's meant to be this way since Blizzard did say very few people would be able to finish it at first.

Also, I thought the Mage Tower was supposed to give a 30% buff to reputation?

I'm assuming it's meant to be this way since Blizzard did say very few people would be able to finish it at first.

Also, I thought the Mage Tower was supposed to give a 30% buff to reputation?

The rep buff was one option it seems. Potentially changes each time you build the thing.

What we got was bonus AP items on dungeon and raid drops, which is why people are farming AP like crazy now.

Fjordson

So if I'm only 880 ilvl, I probably shouldn't bother saving Nethershards for retrying that artifact challenge yet? Sounds like I'd get one-shotted.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So if I'm only 880 ilvl, I probably shouldn't bother saving Nethershards for retrying that artifact challenge? Sounds like I'd get one-shotted.

I think you get one free attempt per tower duration, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother unless you've looked at preliminary guides, and have the required legendaries to help cheese things (one example being Ass rogues and will of valeera being mentioned on MMO-champ)

On a related note, I'm kind of amused at this Blizz response regarding the 3 day duration of the towers, after it took ~6 days of going full-bore on the NA server to even get it up (and this was AFTER the 1st nerf to the cost for supplies).

We will be monitoring region-wide contributions to all buildings pretty closely. If, down the line, we need to turn some knobs on our end it's something we should be able to do. Again, the topic is on our mind and we're watching to see how things play out.

I'm gonna be amused again when the cost gets nerfed again in a month or less after everyone who wants flying has it, and thus has no real reason to go back to the Broken Shore.

I seriously don't get any good reason for the towers not just being built up over time, similar to every other expansion's variant on this idea. I get that it's part of the 'keep the daily grind' motif, in order to 'keep players out there in the world', but it's going to devolve into a source of frustration for a lot of people as it currently works.

Fjordson

I think you get one free attempt per tower duration, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother unless you've looked at preliminary guides, and have the required legendaries to help cheese things (one example being Ass rogues and will of valeera being mentioned on MMO-champ).
Yeah, I'll probably just keep spending my shards on gear. Those gear tokens that cost 5K start at 880 item level which is a big upgrade for me in a few slots.

v1perz53

Makes you wonder why everyone and their uncle was piling their resources into the Mage Tower consider only people ilvl900-ish have a shot at getting it.

Waste of time and effort, if you ask me.

Wasn't it supposed to increase rep gains as well, to help unlock flying faster? Not sure if that was removed though.

Anyway, challenges aren't THAT hard, certainly every one is doable at 900 ilvl unless bugged. They all have mechanics that are tough as fuck though, like the tank one has 3 different ways to knock you off the platform, no amount of ilvl will help that... Whether or not I can finish this tank one seems like it will depend entirely on how many fucking times I pay 100 nethershards and the NPCs don't spawn and scenario doesn't start...

Tiops

Stupid question, but is the game worth at the moment? I already have the base game, and there's a small discount on the expansion at the moment (at least in Brazil) and I was thinking about finally ending my curiosity with the game. Is the expansion already on the end cycle? Or is there more time until the next one?

cdyhybrid

Stupid question, but is the game worth at the moment? I already have the base game, and there's a small discount on the expansion at the moment (at least in Brazil) and I was thinking about finally ending my curiosity with the game. Is the expansion already on the end cycle? Or is there more time until the next one?

We're in the middle of the expansion at the moment. The second of three raid tiers opens up in a month or two.

Fjordson

Wasn't it supposed to increase rep gains as well, to help unlock flying faster? Not sure if that was removed though.
I could be wrong, but I think it alternates between rep bonus or AP bonus when using AP items from dungeons or raids each time the tower is built. We got the AP bonus.

Kacar

This guardian druid challenge is pretty rough, can't even find a video of anybody making it past the 1st phase. Oh well, i understand why it's tough, maybe just a little overtuned.

v1perz53

Honestly I think the tank challenge is totally fine and doable aside from one element which feels a bit bullshit (at least in the first phase). The eyes are fine, though a bit easier depending on class (I know BrM, Druid and Pally tanks have this scenario). The caster mob and his heal are also fine. Little adds are fine, very punishing but mostly fine (though I wish they wouldn't randomly aggro on Velen and stand in my much needed circles).

The bullshit element is the Infernals. They have a knockback as well, but it is an almost impossible to see and not clearly outlined ground effect, so I've been killed by this simply because I couldn't see it more times than I can count. This is basically the only thing that kills me. If I could just see this mechanic I'd have the appearance already. Oh and also the fact t hat while disoriented the small adds sometimes randomly evade adds annoying challenge as well.

Main challenge simply comes from having to handle an instant-death mechanic roughly every 5-10 seconds for a full 15 minutes without making a single mistake to complete this challenge. I guess gear could lower that to 12 minutes, but all the mechanics will be insta-kills in 900 or 975 gear. I mostly like the challenge though, at least the tank one I've done so far.

This guardian druid challenge is pretty rough, can't even find a video of anybody making it past the 1st phase. Oh well, i understand why it's tough, maybe just a little overtuned.

Here's a guardian competing it. I'm a Guardian too so you can take my comments above on it. As long as you start with a disorient from stealth to eliminate his AoE field it is tough but doable, not really overtuned. If they fix that aspect (who knows, it might be intended since every tank that does this scenario has a way to disable it) it still is doable but would go from 15 min of perfect play to 20 min which sounds awful. To be honest, this guy has pretty insane DPS in this vid, and gets really lucky with Infernal spawns, but there's technically no hard timer on the fight, just more opportunities to make a mistake the longer it goes on.

My tl;dr as a Guardian:
- Thrash bracers are almost mandatory
- Once your gear is good enough that one moonfire kills an eye, it gets WAY easier
- Take Wild Charge for one save from a knockback
- Keep up Ursoc always obviously
- You can stun the big guy for time, don't forget this
- You can use Disorienting Roar to interrupt small adds so you don't have to use Velen pools

Kacar

Damn I got 7 legendaries and no bracers, I think I can still do it.

I wasted a ton of attempts then, was there any hint that opening with a disorient would remove the circle?

cdyhybrid

Not even gonna bother trying mine for a while. Since I wasn't playing from the launch of Nighthold until last week, I'm pretty far behind on the gear/legendary curve.

Jag

Think you can play free up to level 20, with a few restrictions, but enough to see if you like the game.

Zelias

Banned
Gotta say, the Inky Black Potion is amazing. Actually dark nighttime in WoW is beautiful.

Stocked up on plenty of them for when the Faire isn't in town!

v1perz53

Damn I got 7 legendaries and no bracers, I think I can still do it.

I wasted a ton of attempts then, was there any hint that opening with a disorient would remove the circle?

Reading more about it seems like it is very likely a bug, but one that most tanks can take advantage of. It is technically doable without using it but it takes specific legendaries (Balance affinity + Chest and you can fully hit from outside of the circle, Balance+Wrists and thrash can) but it is so much more work I couldn't recommend trying if you can just remove that part. Doesn't make it harder, just makes it more annoying and slower.

Jag

Working my 4th alt through the Broken Shore. It's pretty much mandatory to get AK 26 since the AP bump is so huge. But man, it's a slog.

Kacar

Reading more about it seems like it is very likely a bug, but one that most tanks can take advantage of. It is technically doable without using it but it takes specific legendaries (Balance affinity + Chest and you can fully hit from outside of the circle, Balance+Wrists and thrash can) but it is so much more work I couldn't recommend trying if you can just remove that part. Doesn't make it harder, just makes it more annoying and slower.

They just hotfixed, disorient opening does nothing now. That's gonna make it alot tougher I think.

Lain

Llothien world quest is bugged on my realm atm, the only mob repopping is Meowl. This is kinda funny, because I wish those annoying owlcats wouldn't repop when it's time to dig sites over there.

Lomax

Yeah the tower building is... odd. I like the idea of them being built and beaten back, but like others have said, it takes forever. And the fact that it's across all servers makes it feel impersonal, if it was by server or by battlegroup I'd feel involved; as it is I just feel like I'm waiting out a rotation that it would happen anyway. Plus, the whole reason I contributed to the mage tower was the rep boost... and it didn't happen. This whole broken shore feels full of almost decent ideas that have just been poorly implemented.

RPGCrazied

Inky Black Potion is amazing!! Why is this not a setting or just permanent.

Night time in suramar without potion and with. What you like better?

Wo_WScrn_Shot_040317_194705.jpg
Wo_WScrn_Shot_040317_194653.jpg

So the class challenges are just massive gear/legendary checks? That's lame.

Was hoping it'd be like the Brawlers guild, like that floating head with he hexagone maze beam thing, more about skill than gear.

Shame.

Inky Black Potion is amazing!! Why is this not a setting or just permanent.

Night time in suramar without potion and with. What you like better?

Should not be a potion, wtf.

v1perz53

They just hotfixed, disorient opening does nothing now. That's gonna make it alot tougher I think.

Yep, hotfixed between attempts for me. I've had 3 attempts at phase 2 since the fix, but I think I'm gonna stop trying. It simply takes too long now that you can only DPS him with moonfire basically unless you have specific legendaries, and even then it is slow. My longest attempt was 17 minutes I think, new appearance isn't really worth such long tries to me. I'll come back when I have a more OP legendary combo, Luffa + either Eko or Elize.

Was hoping it'd be like the Brawlers guild, like that floating head with he hexagone maze beam thing, more about skill than gear.

Can't speak to the DPS ones, but the druid tank one is almost entirely a mechanics check once you have enough HP/mitigation to survive, which doesn't take much. But my god is it a tough mechanics check, every ~10 seconds there is an insta-kill mechanic you have to handle for like 15 minutes straight. Honestly it seems most of them are more about having the right legendary combo to cheese the mechanics.

iirate

Shame.

Should not be a potion, wtf.

It really depends. Some are heavily gear dependent, but Feltotem at least is heavily skill focused. Gear will help you end that encounter faster and thus have less chances to mess up, but other than that the fight is more about not screwing up mechanics.

Finally got to try out Legion Karazhan and complete my tailoring profession quest for the 30 slot bag now that it's in the dungeon finder. The second half of Kara was really cool. I particularly like the last boss fight.

Whoever designed the profession questing for tailoring in Legion is a ridiculous individual. Legion's 30 slot bag was gated behind a formerly Mythic-only dungeon and the second tier of the recipe to make the crafting more affordable from a mat standpoint is tied to a random drop off of a ghost enemy. What. The. Fuck. What kind of random bullshit is this? When they announced Profession questing was going to be a thing in Legion I though it would be something like the Blacksmithing quests you can get in Vanilla content. I don't know when that was introduced but it's the content it's available in. Hit a certain level in your profession, receive a quest to make x gear and deliver it to y location, gain a new recipe. So far profession questing in Legion has largely been an excuse to send you off doing almost anything except actually crafting gear. There's been one quest like that in tailoring so far.

Haven't made a single Legion bag, meanwhile my garrison is still pumping out Sumptuous Fur and Hexweave Cloth, enabling me to make Hexweave Bags every few days.

Top Bottom