• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Tarazet

Yeah that WQ is trash. Super annoying.

Unlocked flying anyway but I guess I need to get Exalted for class mounts.

Is the quest chain ever going to get you all the way to Exalted? Because I have the patience to have 12 level 110's after the Legion invasion pre-launch event gave me a full set of 100's, but fuck all that grinding.

Robin64

Looks like Black Temple Timewalking won't be a headache in LFR because there won't be an LFR version of it.

Timewalking: The Black Temple
The time has come to join a raid of 10-30 adventurers and venture back in time to The Black Temple in Outland. You’ll be scaled to player level 70 and item level 141 on your way into this memorable highlight of the Burning Crusade expansion.
  • When Burning Crusade Timewalking is active, premade groups of 10-30 players may queue for Black Temple Timewalking by speaking to Vormu in Shattrath City.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Is the quest chain ever going to get you all the way to Exalted? Because I have the patience to have 12 level 110's after the Legion invasion pre-launch event gave me a full set of 100's, but fuck all that grinding.

No. The quest chain gets you ~ 16500 rep (11 weeks x 1500 - not counting DMF/Humans).

And tbh, 'Alts get fucked' has kind of been a central theme with Legion as new content comes out.

That being said, the other theme with alts is 'we'll fix/change it (for alts) if enough people bitch', so I'm guessing once mains start unlocking them, give it a couple more weeks, and Blizz will cave.

edit: Either that, or more likely they'll do something like change invasions back to giving rep on a per-finish bonus (if less than the 1500 per that was on the PTR)

It would be so easy to use the MoP model for alt reputation. Baffles me Blizzard has not reintroduced that

Metroidvania

It would be so easy to use the MoP model for alt reputation. Baffles me Blizzard has not reintroduced that

That would mess with the new paragon system that's supposed to give you an incentive to keep doing emissaries outside of legendary chances, though.

The ideal solution is to turn the 100% bonus 'off' after you reach exalted, but that would be too easy, I'm guessing.

Lomax

The fact that achievements like the do all invasions achievement still have to all be done on a single character shows that Blizzard still doesn't understand alts and how no one plays a single character now. I'm the least "alt-y" player I know and even I have four 110s. Everything should be shared progress and account wide. But I guess their misguided themes of "class fantasy" carry over to an equally misguided idea of "WoW player style" fantasy.

I just want to say how super appreciative I am of the army of players that uncovered the secret leading to the Riddler's Mind Worm. Even with the guide on imgur posted here in this thread, the pages were so super easy to miss and I knew where to look.

cdyhybrid

The fact that achievements like the do all invasions achievement still have to all be done on a single character shows that Blizzard still doesn't understand alts and how no one plays a single character now. I'm the least "alt-y" player I know and even I have four 110s. Everything should be shared progress and account wide. But I guess their misguided themes of "class fantasy" carry over to an equally misguided idea of "WoW player style" fantasy.
Blizzard understands it perfectly.

They don't do it because they want to keep you on the treadmill as long as they can.

Fjordson

Agreed. I'm not all that into alts, but even I have another 110 that I'd like to play. But Legion continues to dissuade me from doing so at almost every turn.

It could be what you said, but it could also be what cdhybrid says. Blizzard seems to be diving head first into the whole time-gating treadmill mentality with this expansion. They want you logging on every day, even if it's just for 30 minutes or so to check on your world quests or queue up some order hall missions. And everything is gated behind timers or respawns, or elusive rep so that it gets artificially lengthened.

Jag

Agreed. I'm not all that into alts, but even I have another 110 that I'd like to play. But Legion continues to dissuade me from doing so at almost every turn.

I'm on my 6th 110 and running order halls and WQs and professions on all. This is why I burn out and take months and years off.

I know that Blizz probably doesn't make more stuff account-wide because they want to keep people subbing for longer but honestly it has the opposite effect on me. I've gotten a number of toons up to Legion content and a few through the basic PVE but once I get to Suramar and have to contend with Legion's end-game grind I tap out and go back to my Mage. Relics and Legendaries are larger impediments than Artifact Knowledge and Power, the latter being easier to manage in 7.2.

That said, as a casual player, 7.2 is the first point in this expansion where having one alt feels manageable/feasible once you start getting your main on a bunch of lockouts and don't have much to do on them beyond a couple of WQ's each day.

v1perz53

Mage tower is up in NA, don't forget to grab the buff if you're gonna run dungeons.

The buff is different each time, I think 4 total options? The one this time gives you a chance at extra AP when doing world quests, not dungeons/raids like last time. Figures it completes just after I did all my WQs for the day!

Corpekata

Banned
The buff is different each time, I think 4 total options? The one this time gives you a chance at extra AP when doing world quests, not dungeons/raids like last time. Figures it completes just after I did all my WQs for the day!

Yeah didn't notice that.

That would have been really nice in the grind before flying.

cdyhybrid

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/150372-arsenal-the-warglaives-of-azzinoth

M1qEWuq.gif

Metroidvania

I know that Blizz probably doesn't make more stuff account-wide because they want to keep people subbing for longer but honestly it has the opposite effect on me. I've gotten a number of toons up to Legion content and a few through the basic PVE but once I get to Suramar and have to contend with Legion's end-game grind I tap out and go back to my Mage. Relics and Legendaries are larger impediments than Artifact Knowledge and Power, the latter being easier to manage in 7.2.

TBH, I still find the idea of relics kind of ludicrous - at least at one point in time pre-release, Blizz justified the artifact weapons by saying 'we didn't want you to have to "wait" for a weapon drop' from Heroic/mythic HFC or w/e.

Instead, now you need 3 relics instead of 1 weapon, and for almost all, if not all classes, there's still a BiS relic that you want to stack to elevate the desired trait, which involves either killing a specific raid boss over and over while coining and praying to get lucky, or praying for high level Mythic+ chests to drop it.

For some classes, having one specific trait on a relic can equate to up to ~40 ilevels worth of equipping a higher level relic with a bad trait. That's batshit crazy.

(Granted, now they have nethershards for 880+ relics, which is a decent bandaid....but it's 'still' luck-based)

That said, as a casual player, 7.2 is the first point in this expansion where having one alt feels manageable/feasible once you start getting your main on a bunch of lockouts and don't have much to do on them beyond a couple of WQ's each day.

Eh, adding on a daily 4 quests (or more) for the class mount as it stands is turning any semblance of an alt game into even more of a chore - and it's one I'll 'have to' keep doing at least until I hit exalted on my main

Lomax

Blizzard understands it perfectly.

They don't do it because they want to keep you on the treadmill as long as they can.

Then they don't understand at all, because I'd be much more likely to stay on the treadmill if I saw progress across more of my characters, and I wasn't (for example) forced to redo the same stupid quests again and again on four characters to get different xmog unlocks, and I felt like the game respected my progress wherever it came from instead of pretending like a new character is a quasi-blank slate. Instead if people feel like switching to a new character is punishing them, they're just as likely to switch the game off and switch to a new game. There's near infinite treadmill available for all accounts, allowing you more options for universal progress just makes you more likely to participate. I understand some gating on current content (to a point) but for a while it seemed like they were making great strides with things like account wide mounts and toys and achievements, but now they've backslid by making things have more and more additional requirements making them less account wide. Maybe it keeps some people hooked but I'd wager it alienates just as many if not more people.

v1perz53

Eh, adding on a daily 4 quests (or more) for the class mount as it stands is turning any semblance of an alt game into even more of a chore - and it's one I'll 'have to' keep doing at least until I hit exalted on my main

I guess, but once you get revered on one character for flying, doing all ~6 WQs on the Broken Shores takes literally 15 minutes per character with WQGF. It ends up being less of a time investment per day than things like doing the daily heroic on your alt was back in WotLK. But there are plenty of things that make alts a difficult proposition this expansion, and they all kind of add up to get to me, making me unable to really play alts.

Then they don't understand at all, because I'd be much more likely to stay on the treadmill if I saw progress across more of my characters, and I wasn't (for example) forced to redo the same stupid quests again and again on four characters to get different xmog unlocks, and I felt like the game respected my progress wherever it came from instead of pretending like a new character is a quasi-blank slate. Instead if people feel like switching to a new character is punishing them, they're just as likely to switch the game off and switch to a new game. There's near infinite treadmill available for all accounts, allowing you more options for universal progress just makes you more likely to participate. I understand some gating on current content (to a point) but for a while it seemed like they were making great strides with things like account wide mounts and toys and achievements, but now they've backslid by making things have more and more additional requirements making them less account wide. Maybe it keeps some people hooked but I'd wager it alienates just as many if not more people.

You could argue that it is the logical other end of the spectrum of trying to give your mains more things to do ingame that are worthwhile. I can't speak for everyone, but I personally had a lot of alts in late Cata/MoP because I quickly got to the point where I logged on my main to raid, but otherwise had literally nothing I could do ingame to progress my character aside from those raids, so I played alts and felt progression on them in my main's stead. Now in legion, every minute I am online I could be progressing my main in some way, and by extension my alts could be doing all that stuff too. Not sure how to solve this issue honestly.

Sure, there are things they could make more account wide, but there are plenty that couldn't. They're not gonna give you an emissary box on all toons when you finish it on your main, and they're not gonna fill your alt's cache with a 905 piece for the +10 your main did. There are plenty of things they could do that would help a lot, such as account wide rep, or making nethershard tokens BoA etc, but honestly I don't know if there's a way to make it so that people with mains have constant content to do that is worthwhile without making alts a huge struggle.

I guess I'd settle for them being LESS of a struggle though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Took a break from Mythic Elisande to work on Mythic Helya.

That fight gets pretty nuts on the last phase, it's gonna take us a bit to figure out positioning there since it's so chaotic.

Hugstable

Banned
TFW you're super rxcited to finally finish off Legionfall rep and finally start flying in Broken Isles, only to find out that the last 2 parts you need for Legion Lorenaster requires gstting damn near exalted with the Nightfallen...

Seriously went around Suramar looking what I needed to do to finish A Change of SEasons and A Growing Crisis, and I need to be within 1000 points of exalted.

fuck

Syf

Banned
Yeah just try to do the blue world quests each day in Suramar, they give quite a bit of rep. Feed the addicts and withered training gives a good chunk too. I'm doing it on my alt right now and it's going by pretty quick

Fjordson

TFW you're super rxcited to finally finish off Legionfall rep and finally start flying in Broken Isles, only to find out that the last 2 parts you need for Legion Lorenaster requires gstting damn near exalted with the Nightfallen...

Seriously went around Suramar looking what I needed to do to finish A Change of SEasons and A Growing Crisis, and I need to be within 1000 points of exalted.

fuck
Yeah the Suramar stuff as a whole is a little crazy.

Whenever the next bonus rep from world quests week is up just do everybody Suramar WQ possible for that whole week. I remember doing that a few months back and it was a nice chunk of rep.

Just pugged my first legitimate raid, H EN. Hilariously overgeared for it by now, so it was as easy as LFR, but it was fun and I'll actually unlock an artifact appearance I never thought I'd get.

As for Suramar, I mind the rep gating less than The Broken Shores time gating. Getting Exalted with the Nightfallen was pretty easy, they were even my first Paragon rep. But as a Mage I'm constantly farming Suramar praying and hoping that The Star's Design, the fire hidden artifact appearance, drops from a random trash mob or Rare/Elite so I'm always in Suramar every day clearing everything there is to do.

Am I doing something wrong then? I'm at 7000/21000 Rep and I feel like that will take me weeks to finish up. I've done pretty much all the daily quests, not sure what else there is to do.

Am I doing something wrong then? I'm at 7000/21000 Rep and I feel like that will take me weeks to finish up. I've done pretty much all the daily quests, not sure what else there is to do.

You're at the worst part. Just consistently clear Suramar WQ's, regardless of whether there's an Emissary Cache or not. Always do Withered Training, try to acquire chests and gain better rewards for clearing Withered Training. You can use Kirin Tor Emissary Cache's to speed up Nightfallen rep but I find The Warden's are the slowest rep to gain. Just be consistent in doing it, there's no forcing it.

Lomax

I guess, but once you get revered on one character for flying, doing all ~6 WQs on the Broken Shores takes literally 15 minutes per character with WQGF. It ends up being less of a time investment per day than things like doing the daily heroic on your alt was back in WotLK. But there are plenty of things that make alts a difficult proposition this expansion, and they all kind of add up to get to me, making me unable to really play alts.

You could argue that it is the logical other end of the spectrum of trying to give your mains more things to do ingame that are worthwhile. I can't speak for everyone, but I personally had a lot of alts in late Cata/MoP because I quickly got to the point where I logged on my main to raid, but otherwise had literally nothing I could do ingame to progress my character aside from those raids, so I played alts and felt progression on them in my main's stead. Now in legion, every minute I am online I could be progressing my main in some way, and by extension my alts could be doing all that stuff too. Not sure how to solve this issue honestly.

Sure, there are things they could make more account wide, but there are plenty that couldn't. They're not gonna give you an emissary box on all toons when you finish it on your main, and they're not gonna fill your alt's cache with a 905 piece for the +10 your main did. There are plenty of things they could do that would help a lot, such as account wide rep, or making nethershard tokens BoA etc, but honestly I don't know if there's a way to make it so that people with mains have constant content to do that is worthwhile without making alts a huge struggle.

I guess I'd settle for them being LESS of a struggle though.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, and I certainly don't think gear needs to be account wide, that makes sense on a per character basis. And I enjoy things that are designed per class. But something like the sightless eyes achievement not being account wide just means I never go into the underbelly with most of my characters. Putting rep and level restrictions on transmogs is just arbitrarily restrictive. The list goes on and on. A lot they've fixed, but only after outcry (world quests unlocks, This Side Up, etc). I appreciate their attempts to put in catch up mechanics, but catch up mechanics wouldn't be as necessary if their development attitude was different from the beginning and there wasn't so damn many things that need to be caught up.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard released some info on the Mage Tower challenge, so few people have managed it. I'm really happy I got it done on both my characters.

Blizzard released some info on the Mage Tower challenge, so few people have managed it. I'm really happy I got it done on both my characters.

Pretty interesting stats.

I still don't like how they have Disc Priests do the Feltotem one where the encounter is based on interrupting big damage spells. I get that Disc is not a traditional healer spec, but still an incredibly dumb decision.

Pretty interesting stats.

I still don't like how they have Disc Priests do the Feltotem one where the encounter is based on interrupting big damage spells. I get that Disc is not a traditional healer spec, but still an incredibly dumb decision.

I'm a BM hunter, was shocked when a Priest friend of mine said he had the same boss as me for discipline. Do they at least drop the amount of health they have? Even at 800k+ it felt like it took forever.

Interrupts were an arseache for me (having to land perfect ice traps while dealing with adds/totems/crap on the floor/taking stacks off the worm when my actual interrupt is on cooldown) but the biggest problem with that fight for me was healing. Without a good healing legendary I'd have had no chance.

Metroidvania

Less than a 1% success rate across all attempts....

Will be interesting to see how much the incoming Tomb/Argus ilevel boost increases that #

Hixx

My best try at mine just got interrupted by Windows Update :)) Left my PC on all night as I'd set it to update in low-usage hours and it does it at 3.30pm the next day instead :D

Got to the "checkpoint" in the Ret Paladin one then it happened. 3 tries since have not went well and I'm very fucked off. I had that shit. Fuck you windows.

Tarazet

In my typical contrarian way, I've been going all out on Destruction. I have no clue at this point how it's going to end up in 7.2.5 with the dramatic changes they're making to shard generation and Wreak Havoc (which, granted, I haven't been using anyway except on Elisande). I'm pretty sure that with reduced shard production, the Feretory of Souls legendary is going to be super critical.

Lain

250rep left to revered, I have a follower mission for a rep token and!!! the followers I need for it are on a mission that's still 15 hours away from ending QQ.

Hugstable

Banned
Awwwwwww yeah just got my secobd legendary for my healing Restro Shaman! Roots of Shaladrassil! Really like it too, seems like it would be good mixed with my cloudburst totem. I really like both Legendaries I got for my healing spec so far, my other one Intact Nazjatar Molting is also super useful due to the effect it has on my Riptide, resetting the cooldown if used on health below 40% ( and Riptide is one of my most used healing utilites). Honestly surprised on my luck with legendaries, surprised that the one I got today was from those Legionfall bags you get from supply turn ins.

I just hope a time comes where us no-skill casuals can complete it with no trouble. I don't mind waiting awhile as long as it's attainable at some point.

I'm a BM hunter, was shocked when a Priest friend of mine said he had the same boss as me for discipline. Do they at least drop the amount of health they have? Even at 800k+ it felt like it took forever.

Interrupts were an arseache for me (having to land perfect ice traps while dealing with adds/totems/crap on the floor/taking stacks off the worm when my actual interrupt is on cooldown) but the biggest problem with that fight for me was healing. Without a good healing legendary I'd have had no chance.

I think it's the same for everyone, but I feel like it would have to be less for Disc Priests since there's no way we can compete damage wise with other classes. Haven't really compared it edit: apparently he has ~76m for disc priests, no idea how much it has for others.

It does feel like Prydaz or other similar legendaries makes it much easier for all classes, though

Fjordson

Awwwwwww yeah just got my secobd legendary for my healing Restro Shaman! Roots of Shaladrassil! Really like it too, seems like it would be good mixed with my cloudburst totem. I really like both Legendaries I got for my healing spec so far, my other one Intact Nazjatar Molting is also super useful due to the effect it has on my Riptide, resetting the cooldown if used on health below 40% ( and Riptide is one of my most used healing utilites). Honestly surprised on my luck with legendaries, surprised that the one I got today was from those Legionfall bags you get from supply turn ins.
Roots is beastly. I got it on my enhance shaman and while I don't use it always in like raids I sometimes swap it in when I'm doing solo stuff out in the world. Makes solo'ing world quest bosses a lot easier.

Tarazet

Roots is beastly. I got it on my enhance shaman and while I don't use it always in like raids I sometimes swap it in when I'm doing solo stuff out in the world. Makes solo'ing world quest bosses a lot easier.

I couldn't have finished Brawler's Guild before 7.2 unless I had Roots of Shaladrassil. That piece is OP as all get out. And I will use it in raids, because most of the stuff you can get offers little or no benefit to single target DPS, but the itemization on Roots is perfect.

Top Bottom